Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Hi Rackmaster, check out Taigaworks.ca from Vancouver ( thousand and one nights ) looks like a very nice down bag either 700 or 800 fill weight, you can also get the bag with water resistant material

Eric

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Trying to decide between two bags now.....

The Integral Designs North Twin and the ID Renaissance

Both are the same bag construction, same design, just one is a 20d bag and the other is a 10d bag.....of course with that comes a bit of weight and a bit of bulk difference.

Thoughts on the best choice? I have a -30C bag for really cold weather stuff. This bag will be used in summer to early fall (possibly end of Septemberish). Am I better off with the 20d bag and a liner at times, or the 10d bag for all use?

http://www.integraldesigns.com/prod...CFTOKEN=45601115&mainproducttypeid=5

http://www.integraldesigns.com/prod...CFTOKEN=45601115&mainproducttypeid=1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd get the 20d bag. You can always layer in the bag with the clothes that you brought. I've used a 20d bag down to near zero without an insulating pad with clothes and a hat on. Works for me...

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I think I'd get the 20...... Integral makes amazing stuff!!!

Mark

Mystery Ranch Backpacks
Bozeman Montana USA
www.mysteryranch.com
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Are those ID bags full zip or 3/4?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rackmastr
Trying to decide between two bags now.....

The Integral Designs North Twin and the ID Renaissance

Both are the same bag construction, same design, just one is a 20d bag and the other is a 10d bag.....of course with that comes a bit of weight and a bit of bulk difference.

Thoughts on the best choice? I have a -30C bag for really cold weather stuff. This bag will be used in summer to early fall (possibly end of Septemberish). Am I better off with the 20d bag and a liner at times, or the 10d bag for all use?

http://www.integraldesigns.com/prod...CFTOKEN=45601115&mainproducttypeid=5

http://www.integraldesigns.com/prod...CFTOKEN=45601115&mainproducttypeid=1

If I was going to hunt/backpack in wet climates, I would sure give those ID bags a hard look.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And the Want-To-Be's keep Wanting-To-Be...

I'll just keep churning out Glacier Hunter Sleeping Bags!

Taylor

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
"And the Want-To-Be's keep Wanting-To-Be..."

Must be talking about Wiggys huh?

Ed T

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was wondering when he would show up and post a reply that had us running for our debit cards.........or not...grin

Last year I purchased the ID Sierra Series XPD bag rated for -10C with the Pertex Endurance coating. A very comfortable and well constructed bag that will last me the rest of my sheep hunting days. Did a lot research and this one came out on top. Forget the stuff made in China (Marmot Helium, etc) if you want a bag that will last. Both my buddies bought the same bag and we're all smiles!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ed_T
"And the Want-To-Be's keep Wanting-To-Be..."

Must be talking about Wiggys huh?
He is Ed but don't be to hard on ole Taylor, the pain meds from him breaking his leg makes him a little crazy sometimes! wink
You seem to have a world of experience with backpacking gear and such, what's your take on the Wiggy's bag other than weight? Not trying to be a smartass, it's an honest question sir.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dont rule out the Marmot Helium's guys, the one I have is not even the IQ and I sat in the bathtub with half my body in it and let the shower rain down on it for almost 20 minutes with no seepage, not even at the seams. It weighs less than 2 lbs, is rated to 15 degrees and compresses down to 3/4 the size of a loaf of white bread. It's not badly priced either.

http://marmot.com/spring_2009/equipment/sleeping_bags/ultralight/helium_reg/info/details

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have 2 different bags that I take depending on where I'm going and how long I'm going for. For my way up high,dedicaited Sheep and Goat hunts ,I take my North Face Cat's Meow. For me it's been a great bag,kept me warm,stayed dry,fairly light and packable.

The other is the Wiggy's FTRSS system bags. I dont carry all 3 of them with me, but I usually take 2. Either the inner and most outer,or the middle and the outer. I figure I can safely cover all temo ranges with either combo.

This is what has worked for me anyways...................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the Wiggys 0 degre bag I have, but I dont backpack it anywhere, that [bleep] like 5 lbs!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I like the Wiggys 0 degre bag I have, but I dont backpack it anywhere, that [bleep] like 5 lbs!

Yep!!! 4 1/2 according to wife's scale which she says is 10 lbs too heavy wink

I still take it, but not on the trips where we go way high, and when I do take it I skimp on other "stuff".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah its my river boat/atv hunt bag, only use it when something carries it for me. Its a warm comfy son bttch though!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Sho nuff smile

Especially when you use the 2 bags together,kept me comfy down to 40 below one 20A moose hunt years ago. Talk about a cold SOB!!!

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
AkMtnHntr,

I think Wiggys are fine. Too heavy for me to ever consider backpacking but others carry them.

I am a big down fan. I never had a problem keeping my bag dry. I always believed in what Cliff Jacabson, the famed arctic river canoeist said that if you can't keep your sleeping bag dry you need to work on your outdoor skills.

If I lived in SE Alaska, I might reconsider but for the Rocky Mountains, down has worked for me for 40 years.

Ed T

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I've used a Marmot Helium and Titanium Goat bivy for the last 4 years sheep hunting. I love the Mamot bag, it has been great from Aug. 10th hunts throught the end of Sept. here in Alaska. I love the light weight of the the down bag and it has kept me plenty warm and dry. I haven't tried the bivy that much as I carry it around in case I have to spend the night out. Both times I have I used it without a sleeping bag in early Aug and it has been great. I love the compact package and lightweight that the Marmot offers and have found no drawbacks to date, though I do take care to make sure it doesn't get wet. I also own a Western Mountaineering bag and think that their bags are top notch as well. I've used that one for the last 5 years on windy wet Kodiak Island and have yet to have a problem with that one either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ed_T
AkMtnHntr,

I think Wiggys are fine. Too heavy for me to ever consider backpacking but others carry them.

I am a big down fan. I never had a problem keeping my bag dry. I always believed in what Cliff Jacabson, the famed arctic river canoeist said that if you can't keep your sleeping bag dry you need to work on your outdoor skills.

If I lived in SE Alaska, I might reconsider but for the Rocky Mountains, down has worked for me for 40 years.

Understand and thanks for the reply Ed.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,449
Posts18,471,018
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.