Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I guess I should have phrased it differently,

"Am I the only Broke Person Here?"

because I don't think anyone that replied to this P&M thread is poor.

I'm lucky to have my Mrs,son and daughter(although she can be as mean as a rattlesnake,I call her 42 inches of pure evil)lol
now if football season would only start I wouldn't have time to think about toy's,I've got a 9 yo Ronnie Lott and his teammates to coach.

thanks for getting my head straight folks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been married for 16+ years with no children to show for it but many a nice toys. Hearing you fellas talk makes me realize what little I really have.

Great thread and I'm proud to hang out with such fine folk who understand the important things in life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rick-poor by one man's standards is rich by another's. We put our resources into our two kids, and while I'd like to have more toys, I manage just fine with what I have. The kids come first, my wife comes second, I get what's left, which isn't much. My daughter plays fastpitch, and has become a very good pitcher. All those lessons, which took the place of many a hunting trip have paid off. I wouldn't even want to guess what we've spent on her pitching and hitting trainers in the last couple years, but it's a rush to see her control a game from the mound, or drive a ball to the opposite field and clear the fence by 20 feet. My son's interest in music have lead to some expensive guitars, but when he's on stage, and every kid in the house is on their feet screaming, I couldn't be prouder. Am I living vicariously through my kids? Absolutely, and I make no apologies for it. Their happiness makes me happy. I don't have a huge collection of guns, and most of what I do have were my fathers, but I'm satisifed with that. I'm sure the day will come when I will splurge on that nice old 20 guage Sterlingworth that caught my eye, but for now, if the kids are happy, that's what's most important to me.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
No

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by ADK4Rick
thanks for getting my head straight folks

Wasn't anyone here. You were straight in the first place. Just needed to see you weren't alone. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wife that loves me, Kids that adore me, Mom and Dad put up with me, have a roof over our heads and able to hunt and fish, i couldn't be richer!

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
example:

today my 9 yo son tells me he lost his Lacrosse helmet that I bought him a month ago for $110.00.

got a game in 2 days and I need a prop for my motor,which one do you think I'm gonna buy?

every day I admire my own fathers restraint.

love is great but it ain't cheap

Make him earn it.When my older Boy was in Little League he lost a new Baseball Glove I had just bought him.I got him another and made him work it off.It was the last thing he lost!!! grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Steelhead
No wife, no kids, grants me the latitude for many toys.

Methinks spending money on kids is a far greater endeavor though.

Spot on...for me at least. Since the kids came, I spend far less on toys for me, and more on our 3 kids. And when I do have some "toy" money, I tend to buy "toys" for our kids. I get far more satisfaction watching my kids shoot, fish, hike, canoe, etc. than having more "stuff".

NRA Life Member

"All hunters should be nature lovers"
~Theodore Roosevelt~
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Poor, broke and old....11 children, 23 grand children, 3 great-grand children. 3 birthdays a month, Christmas seems to come every month. Always something coming up where money has to go out of account...But, the up side? Never a dull moment and lots of love....IMHO

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
11 Children................holey smokes, I now what your were doing on cold, winter nights. grin

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
One more guy with one more thing to say but we are all very similar.
By virtue of the fact we are all sitting here rapping this out on computer keyboards, over the internet....things can't be too bad.
I'm driving a '92 pickup, and living in a very basic middle class house. Everything paid for. Got a few guns,etc. After last years stock market dive, savings are at an alarming 25 year low.
But I have been fortunate enough to travel half the world and see the meaning of "poor" along the way.
By American standards I was also poor those first few years after college, spent many a night spotlighting rabbits to eat, and a whole lot fewer fish were "caught and released" back then.
But now I have these basic things and a chest freezer I can go to anytime, that is FULL of food. ( A novelty that STILL hasn't worn off since the "lean" years)
Family and warm fuzzy stuff notwithstanding, I, and most of us here are wildly wealthy by world standards.
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
ADK4Rick - Your not poor by any means you've got a wife and kids! Some here including me would say your a very rich man!

Last edited by CEJ1895; 04/22/09.

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And after the kids comes the most fun-Grandkids! I have a 2 1/2 yo grandson that thinks the sun rises and sets on his PawPaw and that is all that matters now.
I had 12 years between getting my son out the door to getting my first and only grandchild. During that 12 years is when I was able to buy my toys but now the grandson gets every extra nickle I have. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
Like the old saying-"if I had known grandkids were this much fun, I would of had them first".

Retired U.S. Army
LM-NRA,GOA,& MOAA.

Someone said, "Don't mess with old men, especially those who are veterans!!!
They'll not fight you, they'll kill you"!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess I should have phrased it differently,

"Am I the only Broke Person Here?"

Nope yer not grin

Nic
Lovin life as a farmer and wife!
X2 Farm
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jane you'd be welcome aboard anytime, bet my boys would think you are a hoot!

though the captain in that pic sure is looking different these days, he's now 6'3" or so and his face has lost that innocent look of youth and taking on the countenance of a man. Soooooo I can't make any promises either.

sent the little vermin downstairs the other day to put away clean laundry in their rooms. They were takin forever, hollered down "what're you eggheads doin?" Before big brother could clamp a hand over his mouth the 10 year old hollers back "we're lookin at Victoria Secrets dad" Boyz sheesh

las, the Chena was doing just fine for them back then, still trying to get the oldest to run the Chatanika, I try and stay outa the Tanana as that silt is hades on impeller linings, give me clear water anyday! I've yet to run the Yukon myself, not enough hours in the day or days in the year it seems. gotta get my auxillary fuel tank fixed up with a hose and filled up before gas goes back up. Time for a new boat battery, some trailer repair and a little handwork to dig the snow out in front of the stable where the boat is parked.

when school is out, we're headed for the cabin, gonna take some extra gas and plan on burning some.

guess there's no doubt about it, I need to make more $$$ but those boys sure do make my life rich.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
btw we went for the bike ride last night bout 6 mile rd. trip with a break for ice cream for the boys and water for dad.

hayzeuss everyone and their brother wears them bike helmets these days it seems, cept me and the boys, I'm sure I keep this up and Child Services will be paying me a visit.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U

I can't complain. I have a healthy family and much of the investment/work of the last 10 years is starting to pay off.

Just got back from a 4 day road trip with said family. We hit Bryce Canyon, Kodachrome, Grand Staircase, Calf-Creek Falls, Capitol Reef, and the petrified forest. Cost a few pennies but the kids had a ball! (I haven't purchased a new gun in years)

smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
That's why I didn't have a problem being a gigolo for a few years.

I've always heard them referred to as 'Johns', not gigolos. wink

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I can think of about 600 people I would like to see become poor for a few years.

Let's elect poor working people to government positions, they already know how to do more with less.

WHUT?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Although I did not know it back in the day, we were not very well off. My folks had five hungry boys to feed and clothe. But we did have a "rich" upbringing.

Financially I am doing much better than my Dad ever did...but I am still trying to provide the that "rich" life for our kids.

I don't think you know how "rich" or "poor" you really are until you've weathered a situation that no amount of money will fix or remedy.

NRA Life Member

"All hunters should be nature lovers"
~Theodore Roosevelt~
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (222Sako, 2500HD, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 22250rem, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,495
Posts18,509,124
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.