Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I don't remember doing the remingtons other than the M40-A1's (USMC sniper) when I was in the service. And when we did them it was a different method we used, very entailed. But I can't recall much about the recoil lug shape or much about the receiver at all. It was a long time ago and oddly enough I don't own a single 700 of my own.

So unfortunately I have no tips or hints specific to the 700 to share with you. I certainly wouldn't be afraid to do one though.

The spookiest one I did was an older tang safety ruger in 300 win in a walnut stock.

IIRC the bar shaped lug was actually angled rearward just as the action screw was, I was worried about locking that one into the stock but it turned out really well. Super tight fit, rock solid.

Good luck with your projects coyote hunter.

Something clever here.

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Hmm, well I can certainly understand that theory & that practice.

It does sound like a valid point.

I don't bed back there to absorb or spread the load of recoil, my only intent is to assist in the lateral alignment of the barreled action in the stock.

I would have to guess that your concern is valid and can only stand by & wait for someone else to chime in with an opinion.

I don�t think it�s likely I�ll crack the stock but I understand what you are saying. It�s the same reason I re-drill my action screw holes after bedding.

The back side of the tang is no different than the screw holes, none of which should be taking recoil forces. Ruger tangs should intentionally have a bit of relief behind them. It may not matter on lighter recoiling rifles, but it certainly can ruin that area on a rifle with significant recoil.

This is a good thread!

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Well then, I'll be taking a little drum sander to the back of that ruger tang saddle in the stock. In hind site, it would have been easy to simply leave the bedding out of that tang radius, or place a couple layers of thin tape to the rear of that tang surface before bedding to act as a sizing shim. then remove the tape on final assembly.

Thanks!! grin

Something clever here.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dave, nice job and great pics.

I have one small quibble, and that is that I'm leery about using the paint-on film-type release agent on screw threads. I can't honestly say I've had problems myself, but I'd be concerned about it peeling when tightening the screw. For that reason I prefer wax in the threads, and I usually hit it with a bit of heat to melt it and spread it evenly. I use a q-tip to get wax into the female threads in the action.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Cool, before you know it we'll have a valuable resource here on the topic of DIY bedding due to the collective input from all who have developed there own favorite practices.

Lots of awesome tips & pointers being brought out here.

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dave, having followed the thread, I do have one question - what do you charge to bed a rifle for someone? Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
blush grin

I work for beer on projects like this.

grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Paid before or after the project? grin

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Throw in some smokes or better yet maybe some long leaf chewin tabacka. If the UPS man is bringing alcohol & firearms, he might as well be haulin tabacka too. grin

Something clever here.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Uh, be careful with the beer drinking and bedding. Years ago I helped a buddy bed a M700. We were drinking beer and forgot the headless screws for the action, so the Devcon putty oozed up into the locking lug recesses. Had to use a bunch of rubbing alcohol to get it out, and had a mess all over everything. Oh yeah, he went on to hang out his shingle as a professional gunsmith.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dat's funny!! smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dave, when are you going to shoot it and post the range results?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
In hind site, it would have been easy to simply leave the bedding out of that tang radius, or place a couple layers of thin tape to the rear of that tang surface before bedding to act as a sizing shim. then remove the tape on final assembly.

Thanks!! grin

That's a good idea.

Ask me how I know about this grin ....no, don't wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice work and pictures. Thanks!

Retired cat herder.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by backwoodsbrian

watching the sky, thinking maybe tonight yet.

I don't hardly dare shoot in the yard at home any more. getting so many neighbors... my new neighbor is a border patrol agent I guess. Haven't met him yet.

I'm thinking the range might be a good place to go shoot it if I can't get out to deer camp soon grin

I think all my targets are out at camp though, so is my rest.

frown

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by backwoodsbrian

Ya know what would be really cool?

If I could come on here with a story & pictures about how I averaged 1/2 to 3/4" groups at 100 yds, all happy & such...

Well i just come back from the range & that aint what happened.

Granted I didn't have my rest, there was a wind, I was a bit rushed... but they were circumstances that still would have netted respecatble groups from pretty much any other rifle I own.

This time I was shooting 140 gr rem green box.

First group was an inch & a half 3 round group off the paper, 7 inches low, 5 inches right from my POA. Odd I could be that far off since I shot it a couple of weeks ago, but i did shoot different loads last time around too. (winchester power points 140 gr)

So I adjust the scope, go for another group & she's closer to POA now but still loose... like 1 3/4" group.

I try again & net a sloppy 3" group!!

I run 2 dry patches, let things cool (again) and run one last group. calling that last group an 1 1/2" would be stretching the truth, probably closer to 1 3/4"

I'm frustrated to say the very least.

Havin a beer now & mama's cookin tacos so that's calming me down a bit grin

Next course of action, strap my back up scope on & run a few more groups.

If I prove that it isn't the scope, well I guess I might be going for a pressure pad up front in the barrel channel. crazy

Last time I shot this rifle I had that strange issue with the brass slivers in the bore which I suspected were tearing loose from the crimp on the case neck. I didn't have any of that happening tonight.

I trust this scope very little at the moment. The scope is my number 1 suspect at the moment.

Something clever here.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Dave I gave it a go. Re-zeroed it and shot three 5 shot groups. Have been working on a load for the .223 using H414 and a 60grainer. Groups were all equally bad. All around 2 1/2"-3".
But it will shoot a 77gr SMK under an inch (wich supposedly that rifle isnt supposed to shoot worth a darn..figure that?)
Did notice that I didnt have the issue of things moving when there was any pressure on the forend though. So I think were getting somewhere.

I said screw it though, and am goona go look for a pound of blue dot to screw with. grin

Last edited by mud_bogger; 05/06/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dave ... I wouldn't sweat the larger groups ... could very well be the ammo, I've had some rifles that love the PSP's and some that hated them. My '06 will shoot <1" with 165 gr Remmy green box. My 7-08 which likes Federal Fusion and Federal TSX loads (both right at an inch with the TSX being a little less) HATES greem box PSP's (2.5").

I doubt its the scope and more like the ammo. The low first group could be due to the loss of the pressure point (although dat is a big drop IMHO). Get some more of the Winnie loads and let us know how she does. Not reloading finding the load could be expensive (I've tried with a 300 Roy :()

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nice job.

There is a really good one on 6br dot com sight that goes into depth of doing a really good bedding job. FWIW. This is the one I follow, a bit more detailed but if I"m going to the trouble, I'll do the best I can.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yeah I know that game George (find the right fact ammo game)

It gets spendy & can be frustrating. My 300 wby will scatter fed premium 180 NP about 5" in a 5 shot group. rem green box 180's in the same rifle go just inside an inch, then last fall I tried hornady ... I forget what they call there crimp loc cup & core sort point.... interbond? 180 grain just over a half an inch.

So, yes I do believe it can be the ammo i'm trying to feed it.

I guess I could go back to the power points & see how they do.

Bogger, are you thinking you are seeing improvements then? Not sure what you were getting before you bed your ruger?

Something clever here.

Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1Longbow, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,528
Posts18,491,150
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.