Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Predators rarely kill more than they can eat--usually they do't kill enough to eat--or barely enough.

Which is why it's notable when predators kill more than they can obviously eat

Casey

Totally not true a Neighbor of a friend in Montana had 11 wolves kill 33 sheep on his ranch. They ate three. The next day when the pack was taken out they had killed 25 more sheep on the adjoining ranch.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 05/09/09.

NRA Lifetime Member
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by joecool544
No twisting the truth here, I have seen yotes take down deer on my ranch there was nothing sick or weak or old about them they cut it out from the other deer and ran it down the hill when it tried to return to the other's by going back up the hill the yote took it down. The deer just made the wrong move. Again that animal wasn�t sick, weak or old.

Stupid Pucking hippie�s liberals want these back in the states while they live in town and the ranchers get to deal with them. And they kill off all the big game as well.

You would probably feel a little different about them if they came into your yard and killed your pit bull.

I grew up on a ranch in the Uncompahgre Valley on the West Slope. The BLM land adjacent to our ranch was prime winter habitat, and our alfafa fields were often covered up with deer and elk--and when harsh winters occurred, it was FULL of starving wildlife.

Even then, coyotes never messed with deer until they were too weak to even stand up. And they NEVER messed with live elk.

Did watch a Golden eagle make a couple passes at a doe one time.....kinda' cool.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Predators rarely kill more than they can eat--usually they do't kill enough to eat--or barely enough.

Which is why it's notable when predators kill more than they can obviously eat

Casey

Totally not true a Neighbor of a friend in Montana had 11 wolves kill 33 sheep on his ranch. They ate three. The next day when the pack was taken out they had killed 25 more sheep on the adjoining ranch.

Which is why it's notable in it's rarity.

Remember, there are millions of cattle and sheep in the Rockies. There are tens of thousands of large predators.

Those livestock and predators come into contact with one another hundreds, maybe thousands, of times each day. And yet, the combined number of large predators killing sheep and cattle amount to a tiny, tiny fraction of the number of contacts between predators and livestock.

You got a equal chance of being broadsided at the intersection going to the store for a gallon of milk......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
When you're wrong, you're wrong. You never seem to get that.

But don't believe me. Call Professor Decker at Colorado State University.
Would you mind formulating a cogent sentence that you believe summarizes my position on this question. I'm curious what you think you're arguing against. It simply cannot be what it appears.

Dont worry Hawk, my Wildlife degree is from CSU.

Toltecgriz, Decker was a professor of mine.........

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Well, in the wild they do only kill the sick and the old,....

This is where you started. Now you're at "easiest meal."
Frequently the easiest meal is a prime, healthy critter that happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The "sick and old" only is a myth.

Hawk overstated it when he used the word only.

But now you just did the same thing when you used the word frequently

A few wolves are capable of taking down any ungulate in North America and do so on a regular basis.

Now that's an overstatement.

The reason we see wolf packs averaging roughly 8-15 wolves is that's appears to be optimum for successfully killing large critters on a regular basis--thereby ensuring some continuity in the pack.

A few wolves running together would be hard pressed to kill healthy, adult, elk sized prey with much regularity.

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Monashee
True enough!That's why the ranchers put up a stone wall every time that elk reintroduction is proposed for BCs Cariboo district.The elk eat a lot of the grasses that their cattle graze for free on Crown land.They'd be better off though,maybe the evergrowing wolf polulation would eat the elk,instead of their range cattle! Monashee

As a kid growing up in the 60's and 70's, and even till the mid 80's, ranchers screamed bloody murder about deer and elk eating all the forage.

Then prices of agriculture commodities dropped big, and many of these same ranchers saw their way through lean times by leasing out hunting as outfitting for elk really took off.

Some years, elk made more money for the rancher than cows or sheep.

It will take a generation or so, but I wouldn't be surprised if outfitted wolf hunting won't become a way to make a bit of money on the side for ranchers in the Northern Rockies........

Casey

Since most hunters like to eat what they shoot, we'll probably have to wait for the Asian economy to make a big comeback before this becomes a reality.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kciH

Since most hunters like to eat what they shoot, we'll probably have to wait for the Asian economy to make a big comeback before this becomes a reality.

In Colorado, you now have to technically eat everything you shoot. Meaning you better take the meat from that cougar home with you.......

I tend to draw the line with prairie dogs though....... sick

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A few wolves running together would be hard pressed to kill healthy, adult, elk sized prey with much regularity.
And just which wolf advocate web site or fairy tail booklet did you read this nonsense?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 700LH
And just which wolf advocate web site or fairy tail booklet did you read this nonsense?

Wade thruogh the thread--you'll figure it out........

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Thinking lots of boys here have never seen them run healthy critters out onto the ice.

Big fluffy pads work much better on ice than hoofs.

The problem today is man. Those that love to spew [bleep] about there being a 'balance' was before men moved in. If the wolves knock the deer's dicks into the dirt they can just turn to livestock, dogs, cats etc. An option that weren't previously available in the 'balanced' years.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wade thruogh the thread--you'll figure it out........
Arguing this subject is like the 308 VS 30-06 threads, they are point less and lead nowhere.

Some of us realize the seriousness of the wolf/elk situation, and some live with "Dances with wolves" mentality.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If you can't shoot them, drown'em out..........

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Right On, Sam

I personally believe that everyone of those [bleep] sons of bitches found outside of the park should have the exact rights as the coyotes.

[bleep] 'em!

My thoughts are several "FMJ" in the guts and let'm run off to die.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Thinking lots of boys here have never seen them run healthy critters out onto the ice.

Big fluffy pads work much better on ice than hoofs.

True. But not frequent. Smart prey don't often run to the ice, dumb prey are more likely to.

The problem today is man. Those that love to spew [bleep] about there being a 'balance' was before men moved in. If the wolves knock the deer's dicks into the dirt they can just turn to livestock, dogs, cats etc. An option that weren't previously available in the 'balanced' years.

True. But nobody on here is advocating wolves NOT be managed just like every other critter.....

Today, ALL wildlife management is really People Management..........

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If they was smart they wouldn't be prey in the first place, they would be predators.

Pretty hard to turn around in SE Alaska without being on ice. Not to mention all the 'dumb' animals moving beach side when the snow is neck deep.

Don't blame a wolf for being a wolf but it's an unnatural act for predators to want more predators.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
One only needs to spend some air time to see just how 'infrequent' ice kills are. Looks like Ice Capades meets Leatherface

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having lived, camped, and hunted in some of the highest wolf densities in North America I think a lot of comments here are pansified.

As for prey selection, wolves having more success killing the young or weak is a biological fact, especially with larger animals such as moose and elk. Biologists have long settled on the amount of fat in the animal's bone marrow as the indicator of the animal's overall health. Changes in body fat can happen for many reason with many of them short term. A reduction in marrow fat is bad news and a clear sign of a weakened animal.

The majority of large animals killed by wolves have reduced marrow fat, in spite of such animals being an overall minority in the population.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Folks need to see more calves being pulled from the mother half way through the birthing process.

Not sure what the marrow levels are on those, since all the bones are eaten on the veal snack.

Last edited by Steelhead; 05/09/09.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No problem with my logic. We need to hunt and manage wolves here too......and the quicker we start managing them like a another game animal the better.....

Casey

And later on, you stoop so low as to call them "predators." So what are they in your mind,"game animals" or "predators?"

It's beyond time that they should be considered as some kind of gods or "game animals" and be hunted like the predators they really are.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
One only needs to spend some air time to see just how 'infrequent' ice kills are. Looks like Ice Capades meets Leatherface

Spent a large part of my stint in the Navy flying in Alaska......although I admit most of it was over water--frozen and unfrozen.......

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (160user, 22kHornet, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 06hunter59, 34 invisible), 1,360 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,094
Posts18,522,187
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.