Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Well then, assuming you are a moral person, you should recognize that there is a higher law that requires you to act to save someone.

There is a difference between "torturing" for a confession and "torturing" to save thousands pf people, especially when it's arguably not torture. If you don't see that, you are lost in your own argument.
Hardly. I've been 100% consistent.

While it's true that, given the right circumstances, I'd torture someone, I also say that the someone whom I'd torture has a right to a government that protects him from my intended action. I would also rob and steal, given the right circumstances. This, however, is a confession of human frailty (we all have it), not a recommendation as a model for government. It is precisely because of human frailty that we establish governments which operate by the rule of law rather than by the rule of a man, or of several men, or even of the majority of men.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Our government is not capable legally of acting outside the rule of law. Whenever it does so, it acts tyrannically and criminally. And, before you say it, warfare is not outside the law any more than I am outside the law when I shoot it out with home invasion robbers.

Although I'm not an attorney, IMO this concept is incorrect. You are confusing US Constitutional constraints on the rights of the US government with respect to US citizens with its rights to wage war to defend the Nation.

The terrorists seized as illegal combatants on foreign battlefields have no rights under the US Constitution - despite the malevolent inventions of the Obama-Holder nomenklatura - and certainly none under international conventions. They are not combatants representing any signatory nation.

Summary execution under military law and ROEs would be legal. It is only our American sense of 'fair play - an oxymoron in any military context - that confers on these beings (can't quite see obsessed murderers of civilians as humans) any so-called rights.

If I follow the reasoning you propose correctly, we are in a better position in future, to avoid the need to interrogate illegal non-combatants, rendering military justice forthwith, where captured. Probably a good idea to redefine ROEs more realistically.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Maybe he has a right to have some government protect him, but it's not ours when he's trying to kill us.

More important than being a nation of laws is being a nation of justice based on laws.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
BTW I can't believe you put Isaac on ignore. That says more about you than it does about him.

Seems like we've had a dance before on a different topic and you were just as hung up there as you are in this one.

Best wishes

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
BTW I can't believe you put Isaac on ignore. That says more about you than it does about him.

Seems like we've had a dance before on a different topic and you were just as hung up there as you are in this one.

Best wishes
I resisted placing Isaac on ignore for years, but when he proved beyond doubt that all he was capable of was mud slinging I turn him off. I gave him another chance recently, but he went right back to that pattern so off he went again. I don't mind arguing an issue till kingdom come, but I will not suffer the consistently uncouth. Life's too short to give folks like that the time of day.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Than let me put the question to you this way: If your folks caught you, when you were say twelve, waterboarding your little brother/sister (i.e., strapped him/her down with a sack over his/her head and pouring water over his/her mouth and nostrils repeatedly to the point of nearly drowning), would they have been more likely to a) send you to your room without dinner or b) immediately sequester you from your siblings and other children in the area until arrangements could be made for you to be evaluated at a nearby children's psychiatric facility?

That's not even close to analogous, and I suspect you already know that. It's an enormous stretch trying to make your point and, it does not work.

My question was a response to the claim that waterboarding was the equivilent of washing one's face in the morning.

No such claim was made and the comment was TIC, and I suspect you already know that. It's an enormous stretch trying to make your point and, it does not work.

And with that, I'm likely done with this thread.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Z
zeN Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
and it would be just as absurd to prosecute executive branch elected officials or intel agents who relied on those legal opinions.
I'm afraid we part company on that one. No one is above the law in the United States. Every American is presumed to know that torturing prisoners is a serious crime, subjecting one to almost certain jail time if caught.

Wasn't it you, during the Bush presidency, who said that if he commits crimes while in office we can prosecute him just like any other citizen, but we just have to wait till he's out of office? So now he's out of office. Time to prosecute him for his crimes.

Also, all Americans are presumed to know that no order to torture a prisoner could possibly be legitimate, and each has a duty to ignore such an order. So anyone who obeyed that order is subject also to prosecution, and all up and down the command chain.

As usual on the mark, Bush and everyone in his cabinet associated with this should be charged first with violating the Constitution and leading America down into a black hole-torture as a policy of the government is clearly un-American, as were all the other lies and shenanigans associated with the last 8 years, it strikes me as cowardly to attempt to prosecute this from the bottom up

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
you strike me as an idiot....so that figures.

"as usual" on the mark? you mean as usual for the eleven days you've been reading Hawk's posts?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Z
zeN Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Up yours jackass, this is a forum and every user has a right to their opinion-even a dumbass like yourself

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
It takes you a while to respond to those calling you out, sport.

Are you having to wait until grandmom steps away from your homework study desk?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

Z
zeN Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
That goes for you too, scum-sucking lawyer

What's the difference between a Catfish and a lawyer?
One is a scum sucking bottom dweller, and the other is a fish.

Last edited by zeN; 05/19/09.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ZeN has shown himself again and again, to be one of those folks that are not worthy of conducting discourse with.
Lefty weenies are beneath contempt, and are too stupid to hold a conversation.
on the one hand, ZeN says
Up yours jackass, this is a forum and every user has a right to their opinion-even a dumbass like yourself
, but then he also feels that there SHOULD be controls on speech HE does not like.
what CANNOT be allowed in a public forum like this is to allow someone like you to suppress, control or squash public debate,
because in case you haven't been paying attention, the internet is the vehicle for grass roots public resistance to these abuses,

Last edited by Mannlicher; 05/19/09.

Sam......

Z
zeN Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Well first of all I am simply defending myself from rude small minded [bleep] (like yourself, you pathetic hypocrite) who do not know how to participate in a forum discussion with views other than their own, nowhere does it say in the membership rules that the only acceptable opinion is that of neocons, or supporters of the bush regieme, or for law enforcement, etc,
I stand by everything I have said, I am not a lefty, I am a Libertarian, I support Ron Paul and I challenge you to show a post where I have expressed leftists views, freakin' moron [Linked Image]

Last edited by zeN; 05/19/09.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
aye, theres the rub Zen.

You are not mentally equipped to engage in forum discussions, no matter the views involved.

To me, 'lefty' is not only a term to describe a person that leans to the left politically, but also as a pejorative. Capiche?

I will say though, you are damn near as loony as most of the other Libertarians around these parts.

Sam......

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Lefty weenies are beneath contempt, and are too stupid to hold a conversation.
on the one hand, ZeN says
He can defend himself, but I'd only respond that what you dislike about zen is precisely that he is politically a good bit to the right of yourself, not the left. Just for one example, between the two of you, which one has the least trust in consolidated central government power?

I would also add that the bad mouthing wasn't started by him. He merely responded in kind.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
zen/dpml doesn't have a philosophy...he parrots stuff.....and if you think there's anything right wing about him you're not paying attention. It's all straight out of DU, with a touch of prison planet. this is that punk dpml or whatever his name was that Rick bounced a while back.....new name, same stupid.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
zen/dpml doesn't have a philosophy...he parrots stuff.....and if you think there's anything right wing about him you're not paying attention. It's all straight out of DU, with a touch of prison planet. this is that punk dpml or whatever his name was that Rick bounced a while back.....new name, same stupid.
How could a stupid person be so consistently right? Seems unlikely.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
you're not reading carefully.....unless you think the idea that police shouldn't violate citizen's rights is some brilliant insight on the punk's part.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 49 invisible), 2,232 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,345
Posts18,506,187
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.