L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by SU35
I already own two Ti's.

Think about it, two rifle for the price of one NULA.

Quality trumps quantity. I'd rather have one NULA than two Ti's any day (no offense intended).

The NULA will be as light as the Ti, but with a no. 2 contour, (not the Remington pencil-barrel crap-shoot), has a laid fiberglass stock (not the ungainly chopped glass Ti stock), and the NULA is cobbled together by a smith (Mel) to shoot well, not assembled by an hourly guy screwing a $12 barrel onto a receiver that resorts to a lot of gimmicks to make it light.

Mel's rifles are "light done right", from the ground up, and there's no way a Ti, nice though they may be, are near the quality of a NULA.

Expensive? You bet. But quality remains long after the purchase price is forgotten IME...

Very well said Brad.

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
Dober,

I'm speaking now for all of the members of the 24Hour Campfire, and if you do not get a NULA immediatly, your Indian name will be "No Hair On Balls"

Thought you should know.(Grins)

Steve

LOL

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, that WAS funny!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SU35
I already own two Ti's.

Think about it, two rifle for the price of one NULA.

Yep, make that (2) Titaniums sporting McM Edges! Sweet! (if you have the right connections & skills)

MtnHtr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lemme get this straight Brad.... You mean the NULAs that are wearing Douglass barrels??? And you're calling the Remmy barrels a crap shoot???

Thats kind of like one prostitute calling the other a hooker laugh

Yep. I'm officially calling Bullshit on that one... But you're still my E-Buddy. I'm just raising a brown flag.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ha! Glad to hear it. I still think they're fine rifles even if he "should" use Lilja barrels!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whew... I thought I might have ruffled a few feathers.

I've met Mel before and had a chance to speak with him. He knows how to build a rifle for sure, but he seems a little stuck in his ways if you ask me.

I'm Irish...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Meaning he don't experiment with McGowen....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
two left handed ula's just showed up a perry's guns in nc, .300 wby and .375 $2600 each each one has a leupold 3.5x10x50 on them.
919-365-4200 pics will be up on gunsamerica later today excellant cond.

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Let us not forget the continued service on Melvins behalf. Upon falling in love with your NULA and shooting the hell out of it. Simply return it to Melvin and he will rebarrel, rebed, and repaint all for a nominal fee (approx $400-$500). You will receive your rifle as new once again. Not too many companies offer this type of follow-up service.

BC

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have owned Remington Ti's, and they are pretty good rifles for the price--but are the equivalent of a NULA like a Burris Fullfield II (a very good scope for the price) is the equivalent of a Zeiss Conquest.

As for those Douglas barrels Melvin puts on the NULA's. I have personally fooled around with about a dozen NULA's in chamberings from .223 to .358 and have yet to see one that wouldn't easily shoot 3-shot groups at 100 yards of 1/2" or less--often a LOT less.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mickey Coleman likes Douglas barrel as well I think? I keep having that same thought regards quality over quantity.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Meaning he don't experiment with McGowen....

Ouch!! It hurts Scotty.... But right now I'm still waiting on a reamer (have been since end of May) I forgot about how flaky Reamer rental guys can be frown

JB, I've not had real good luck with Douglas tubes. I know a local smith that swears by them too. The 25 or so Douglass tubes I've had the pleasure of shooting I'd rate at "Just a little better than stockers" I honestly think that Douglass probably has a pile of "Supertastic Excelent" tubes they save for Mel. The ones that trickle down to the masses sure aren't consistantly SUB-MOA...

Funny thing, if I use the same smith, and a Lilja or LRB tube, consistantly SUB-MOA, like clockwork...

I'm Irish...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Who here if they were ordering a $3,000.00 custom rifle would order it with a Douglas barrel?

btw, My Ti's easily shoot less than .5 groups at 100 yards as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A really stupid question: Never having seen a NULA in person - are they a PF? What do they use for an extractor?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Actually the quality on the Rem Ti's I've seen is pretty good. Alot of 'smiths report Ti actions are pretty true and require less blueprinting (or truing). The later 700s have a milled firing pin as well.

Mel puts a great a product, but for most folks a Rem Ti is more affordable.

As for pricing vs quality that's always a debated subject especially when loonyism kicks in.

MtnHtr

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Brad,

Couldn't have been said any better..I have 4 of them and a lot of hard work went into getting the $$$. They are not for everything, but for light they are the top of the game. Perfect combo of light weight, balance, and accuracy. Not to mention rugged as well. And Melvin will stand behind them as long as he is breathing.

Lefty C

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dober,

Pardon my loonyism but why not go down and pick up a little sky, have a Lilja screwed on and call it good? Think of the coin you would have left over.

MtnHtr

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The last NULA I received is a .257 Weatherby with a 24" #2. I took it to the range thr first time with 100-grain Hornady Spire Points and 75 grains of Ramshot Magnum, because I had the bullets on hand and that's a powder charge that often shoots well with .257 Roys and 100-grain bullets. After 2-3 shots at close range to get the scope reasonably centered, I shot three rounds at the 100-yard target. They went into a flat 1/2"--the very first group the rifle ever fired, with a new barrel that hadn't even been broken in yet.

Recently another friend took delivery on a NULA in .270 Winchester. He loaded up 140 TSX's with a favorite load (might have been H4831, I don't remember.) The first group at the was three shots literally in one hole at little larger than .277.
He wanted to make sure it wasn't a fluke, so shot another 3-shot group. This time called the third shot out--and it was, by 1/4". The first two shots went into one hole again, and the third opened up the groups to .26".

I have yet to encounter accuracy like that from OTB Ti's or Kimbers, even the odd one that is exceptional. In fact I have yet to encounter that kind of accuracy from rebarreled Ti's or Kimbers. I have also seen some problems with the odd Kimber action, and have yet to encounted a Ti or Kimber that balances like a NULA.

I do own a couple of Kimbers and they are good rifles for the money. Hasve also owned Ti's and they are fairly priced as well. But very few people I know who have owned NULA's continue to think that the $1200 alternatives are equals.

There can be exceptions. I will amend my statement about NULA accuracy, because I did one own 7x57 that would only groups into 3/4" to 1" or so. Obviously this is good enough for hunting but not what they are known for. So eventually I had Melvin rebarrel it to .257 Roberets AI, and the first group out of the box (a fireforming load) went into something like 3/8". It kept that up for years until a friend insisted I sell it to him, after he borrowed it one one hunt. It shot like that for hm too.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
You also might want to check out the thread on the Custom Rifles forum. A guy has a NULA that is averaging (several groups, not just one) around 3/8" for FIVE shots at 100 yards, not three shots. Too bad those suck Douglas barrels won't shoot....

John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (257 roberts, 160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,092
Posts18,482,970
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.