Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I'm spending some of my time trying to learn about the best way to go about the purchase of the all-around AR. By all-around, I mean if I were going to buy or have one built(for both self-defense and hunting) which considerations should be paramount?

Are there AR's right off the shelf that are simply perfect or is customizing always a necessity after the purchase?

Finally, what top two companys would you gents recommend to accomplish your suggestions, if you provide me any.

I am going to buy or have one built but I still have some learning to undertake!

Last edited by isaac; 07/19/09.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Determine your needs and expectations.

The perfect woman is different to each guy.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bob,

Do you have any friends locally that own different ones you can try to determine basic preferences?

Mackay is right they can be application specific. I sure wouldn't want to try to use something like a Armalite M15A4T 24" Heavy Barrel in a building search/clearing exercise. But it makes a good long range p-dog shooter.

Solution to your problem is simple....you need several! smile

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Isaac, as Mackay said,you need to define your needs. I myself could not get by with just one AR. I have several ranging from the 16" RRA M-4 style to custom built 16"and 24" flat tops for the bench and LR varmit hunting.
If you were to go with just one all around gun I would choose the Colt 6920 or the newer 6940 and call it good.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Thanks guys but I did limit my search. I want to buy one.

If it were to be just one, what would it be and why? For example, Jimmy above suggests the Colt in either 6920 or 40. I'd like to hear from Jimmy as to why and then see wheere you good minds come in with the follow-up.

Assume you can only have one. Can it be purchased off the rack or do you HAVE to customize to make it that one gun that could cover the gamut?

Really guys.....thanks much. I know it's very limited query but I'd appreciate you guys just humoring me with the exercise.

I'm off to research Jimmy's Colt suggestion!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Like others have said, there are a lot of particulars to consider for a good recommendation but I'm sure you'll do plenty of research so just for conversation's sake (and because I know this is a fun part of the process for most folks grin ) I'll jump in.....

For me, if I want a gun for PD and hunting, I'd buy/build one for PD and then hunt with it. For what it sounds like you're looking for and since it sounds like you'd like to make sure you have a weapon with a top-shelf reputation, I'd second Jimmy's recommendation of a Colt 6920.

I have ARs with barrel lengths from 10.5" to 26" and, out of those, my favorite length for all-around use is the 16" carbine. This is the most common length for PD-type rifles and is very handy for hunting IME.

Even if you think you may want to use irons, make sure to get a flat top so you can go either way. I shoot iron sights (not very much though), electronic sights and scopes. My hands-down favorite sight is the EoTech (with irons as a back-up).

Here are a couple examples....(these two are both RRA)
[Linked Image]

Here's some bad/fuzzy pics that will hopefully give you some kind of an idea of how the EoTech/irons work. Sorry for the crummy pics but I was in a hurry when I took them.....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Damn, guess I'm on the spot now. Off the shelf, I feel Colt is one of the top MOA guns I would also put LMT right along side of Colt but they are more money and I don't feel you will gain anything in accuracy over the Colt.
The 6920 and 6940 both have the 4 position stock which is nice for the smaller shooters, such as kids,grandkids and wives, a plus in my book. I like the handguards better, I do prefer the 6940 over the 6920 due to the full length rail which affords the option of setting it up for various optic's along with room for night vision. I feel that both of these Colts are priced right and will hold a good resale value if and when you ever choose to sell either.
I have run 1000's of rounds through both of mine and never had a problem with either gun.
I have also had outstanding results with RRA.
I'm sure Mackay and rost will chime in with their opinions and they are very savy when it comes to AR's and what they feel is best.
Whatever you get will only be the beginning

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Bob, unless you know if you are going to hunt game or people, its hard to zero in on what you need.

Sam......

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by jimmyd223
I feel that both of these Colts are priced right and will hold a good resale value if and when you ever choose to sell either.

For a non-LEO/contractor, I think Colt, LMT, etc. are over-kill. To me, RRA is the best bang for your $$ but if money's not the focus you certainly won't regret going with a top-tier gun.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
For personal defense an M4 clone is the way to go, and in 5.56 with a red dot. A Colt is a fantastic choice IME. A Rock River or Stag is a good call too.

What type of hunting is the big question. Here there are a zillion choices depending.

IC B3

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Sam....because of the obvious stats, hunting up to big boar sized game would be my first thought but having the semi-auto feature and load for a back-up HP wouldn't hurt none. I'm just thinking it can be done with one AR Sam and that's what I'm trying to figure out.

By th way...thanks for the input. I am learning.

William Arthur Ward

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Bob, unless you know if you are going to hunt game or people, its hard to zero in on what you need.

Don't worry, he'll have two (or more) ARs soon enough...... wink laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Don't worry, he'll have two (or more) ARs soon enough...... wink laugh

+1 My thoughts also, start out with the Carbine

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Personally, if I were wanting to only own one AR, I'd opt for a RRA with a SS standard weight 16-18" barrel with a 1/8 twist and either a mid-length carbon fiber forearm w/ Weaver gas block or 1/2 quad aluminum forarm.

I'd stick with my EoTech as the primary sight but a nice 1.5-5x to 3-9x scope would make for a versatile back-up.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I

William Arthur Ward

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The 6920 or 6940 would be my choice if they weren't marked LEO. I would also feel comfortable with an LMT M4.

But for my favorite AR, it has to be a Colt light weight carbine with a flat top receiver. The closest you can buy off the shelf is a 6520 but you have to change the A2 upper for a flat top.

Throw a low powered variable scope such as the Leupold 1.5-5, add Troy flip up back up iron sight, a LaRue rail, TD verticle grip, a Magpul enhanced trigger guard, a Rock River 2 stage trigger and an LMT SOPMOD stock and you have the perfect all around gun. (In my opinion anyway)

Why? Colt is highly reliable out of the box. The light weight barrel is 1/7 twist, will handle light or heavy bullets and handles amazingly well. They are usually around MOA accurate which is good enough for anything in 223/5.56 range.

I have an M4 and an HBAR as well but the LW does it all.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by TWR; 07/19/09.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you've got the coin, there's nothing wrong with Noveskes products.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Those are sweet, TRW.
Can you flat top the Noveske without changing the uppers?

William Arthur Ward

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
One thing missed above is that you really need only one common lower. The uppers can be specialized and multiple. grin Just like a T/C Contender.

Get a lower that fits (can have an adjustable stock) with a 3 pound, crisp trigger and go for it, 17 HMR2 - 50 cal Beowolf.

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you take a basic rifle or carbine of good manufacture and free float the barrel, you'll have enough accuracy for most jobs - as good as most hunting rifles.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with non-Colt guns. I currently have an SGW/Olympic gun that I got in 1984 which continues to work just fine despite thousands of rounds. My Daughter has a RRA and I'm building my son an 20" rifle off a DPMS lower.

The various M4 style guns seem to be popular for a reason, light and flexible. You can always get another upper for special occasions and the AR is so easy to modify you can always alter it later.

[Linked Image]

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

348 members (12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 33 invisible), 1,720 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,002
Posts18,481,273
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.