Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BTW, if you plan on shooting milsurp M193 or M885 you are better off with 1:9 twist. 1:7 is authentic military and will stabilize heavier bullets. The main reason the military went with 1:7 is to stabilize heavy tracers, which isn't a big issue with most people.

Here's a dispersion graph showing twist versus bullet weight

[Linked Image]

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also look at Sabre defence as one of the better brands.

As others have already stated, 1st you need to define the rifles true purpose. For me an ultimate AR-15 has a 20" barrel to keep all that noise just a little further away from me not to mention the extra velocity gained. The gun isn't too long that it can't be used in inside if needed, but in all honesty it probably will never be needed for that purpose. It has a medium weight barrel so it balances well while still being easy to carry. It is extremely accurate and it doesn't have anything bolted on it that isn't necessary to use it.

For me the ultimate AR-15 will be used for informal target shooting and calling in coyotes.

That's my version of the ultimate AR-15.
[Linked Image]

Terry

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Isaac - to answer your question, when folks talk about "flat-top" they're usually talking about the upper configuration of the rifle in general but specifically the upper receiver. As Bend mentioned, when you have a complete lower assembly, you can swap "uppers" to suit a specific purpose.

Here's another example.

This is an AR "pistol" which means it has a bare buffer-tube instead of a regular buttstock and an "upper" that's usually between 7" to 12" inches (can be more or less). To have an AR with a barrel or barrel w/ fixed brake or suppressor that's shorter than 16", it either needs to be "pistol-only" or an "SBR" (short barreled rifle), the later of which requires some extra paperwork.

[Linked Image]

This next AR has the same basic lower with a regular stock and upper. It's a varmint contour barrel which is nice for the range/prairie dogs but WAY to heavy to be considered an all-around rifle IMO.

[Linked Image]

IIRC, MacKay has one similar to this with a standard contour SS barrel and low-mag scope. That would be about perfect for a 1-gun solution if you ask me.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
It think to be VERY sure, you should have TWR and TC1 each send you a couple to play with. That way you'll be able to make an "informed" decision!!! wink

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
The thought crossed my mind Nebraska, that's for sure!

I'm learning much fellas.....thanks.

Last edited by isaac; 07/19/09.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
isaac,

This is an older pic from last year. I have always used AR's for work but I had no experience with any brand other than Colt. I wanted an AR for coyotes and just a good everyday "truck gun". I got a smoking deal on a S&W M&P15 and I've been very pleased with it. It wears a 6x36 Leupold with LR dots.
[Linked Image]

Shoots alright too.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The thing I like best about an AR is they are light and handy. I try to keep mine that way.

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
As has been mentioned, you can change the upper Bob, and have your AR do about any task you need.
Here is my Son's Colt HBAR. By changing the parts, it goes from a target/hunting rifle, to a homeland defense rifle.
He stayed with 5.56 for both, but you certainly don't have to. You could easily have a .260 Remington hunting upper, and a 5.56 defense lower.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Now I'm starting to get it. Thanks to you guys, I won't seem like such a frikken moron when I go into my favorite gun shop. This shop has about 60 ARs for sale on their wall. Don't know the brands though.

This AR research and purchase will be fun. I have enough nice rifles aand handguns so this is really re-peaking my irrataional buying impulses.

PS...thanks Sam and the rest of you.

Last edited by isaac; 07/19/09.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Nebraska
It think to be VERY sure, you should have TWR and TC1 each send you a couple to play with. That way you'll be able to make an "informed" decision!!! wink

grin
While I ain't shipping my babies anywhere, ya'll are more than welcome to come try em for yourselves. Which as Nebraska stated is the only way to "make an informed decision". I've built over a dozen guns for myself and changed those up many times over the years, hopefully evolving into a better setup as I go but what looks cool may not always be cool. It has to work for you, to be cool.

As for twist rate, 1/7 will not only handle the heavies but it does a nice job with 50's as well. My LW shoots American Eagle 50 gr hollow point right at 1" I for one don't beleive you can overstabilize a bullet.
[Linked Image]
Not bad for a chrome lined 1/7 twisted pencil barrel from Colt, won't win any matches but it kills alot of coyotes.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
OK TWR...you got the job. I want one of your faves. 200 cash do it?

William Arthur Ward

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You could easily have a .260 Remington hunting upper, and a 5.56 defense lower.

Am I reading this right? The 260 is based off a 308 or am I missing something?

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
One other item not mentioned-

Chromed lined chamber and bore for LONG barrel life but generally not too accurate (YMMV).

Chromemoly or stainless barrel for more of a tack driver if its near-match or match quality. Barrel life would be more like your bolt rifles.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
issac I think you left out a few zeros...

jimmyd, I think your right, the 260 won't fit in a 5.56 lower unless it's some wildcat based off a 6.8 case or something.

AR's can be very accurate but 1MOA is good enough for me for a hunting/all purpose gun.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Here is Mine Bob:

[Linked Image]

DPMS AP4 in 308 w/ a Leupold 6x42

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jimmyd223
You could easily have a .260 Remington hunting upper, and a 5.56 defense lower.

Am I reading this right? The 260 is based off a 308 or am I missing something?

what I was telling Bob, was that you can have two or more different calibers working off one lower. To have the .260 upper would mean using a .308 lower of course.
I was not clear on that, obviously. I should have used a 6.8mm or .204 Ruger upper in the case that he would want a common upper with a 5.56 lower.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 07/19/09.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sam, not a problem, just thought maybe there was a new caliber in the AR 15 platform that maybe I was unaware of.

I'm sure after Bob gets the AR bug, he will be adding others to the collection

Last edited by jimmyd223; 07/19/09.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The perfect gun for what want to do with it is a really good question and the best question that has been asked. Home defense a 16 inch M4 type rifle with an aimpoint on it from any of the major manufacturers, but Colt, RRA, Bushmaster are all good. If hunting something I sure want a longer barrel and a regular scope of some type.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
No way you can get what you need for an ultimate gun off the shelf, excepting when you pay outrageous prices.

IMHO if you want one, do a lot of research, come up with what it is, and then get a top line smith to build it. You'll spend the same or less as the top line guns and have something as good or better and tailored to you specifically.

My take on it, a mid weight 20 inch tube, flat top( can use optics or irons if done correctly) free floated. A float tube with a small rail on it just because, but ready to take a sling and bipod. Standard 223. Twisted either 8 or 7 or in between. A good trigger, mine would be Geisselle but thats a personal thing, a tuned RRA is just fine, but you have to like 2 stage and I do. Let the smith pick the parts, good parts are not diamonds, and don't have to cost as such, but need to be checked out.

A few why's answered... 20 inches, gets you quite a bit of speed, going to 24 doesn't gain all that much. ITs quieter than a 16, yet not that much longer. Twisted to shoot heavy bullets as I'm always carrying 68 and up generally... and can shoot heavy TSX too. Mid weight barrel so its not so heavy. Standard stock because I like them. 2 stage trigger because I'm used to it, haveing shot them since the 80s, and it is the only safe way to get to a 1.5 pound glass trigger in a semi....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Personally, if I were wanting to only own one AR, I'd opt for a RRA with a SS standard weight 16-18" barrel with a 1/8 twist and either a mid-length carbon fiber forearm w/ Weaver gas block or 1/2 quad aluminum forarm.

I'd stick with my EoTech as the primary sight but a nice 1.5-5x to 3-9x scope would make for a versatile back-up.

+1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are thinking of getting it for both self defense and hunting check out a 6.8 SPC. That's what I have in RRA M4 configuration. My cousin has a Bushmaster M4 6.8 SPC he carries as a ranch rifle. The 6.8 puts down deer much better than the 5.56 plus it's legal for hunting big game everywhere. Can't say the same for the 5.56. Check out this link to Silver State Armory showing how the 6.8 does on game.

SSA Success Stories

Be sure you scroll all the way to the bottom to see what "Disco" is proud of. I think he might be related to Jeff_O. grin

Last edited by Beargrease; 07/19/09.
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

443 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 47 invisible), 1,786 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,002
Posts18,481,334
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.