Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 155 of 173 1 2 153 154 155 156 157 172 173
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yowza, that's a beauty...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was wondering when you'd find this misplaced fly rod discussion. IIRC, you got rid of all your green sticks to fund the 'boo, yes? Did you ever get one of Glenn's Rods before he left Winston?

Your 3 wt is one very nice looking rig. What length? I'm not a bamboo aficianado and don't know that name, maybe you could tell us a bit about it?

If we keep this up, it won't be long before this thread hits 4K whistle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LRC sure makes a pretty rod. The price tag isnt too bad either. I would love to have a split cane rod someday. Maybe when I find that perfect A.L. Walker that is just begging for some bamboo smile

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
KK,
I'm looking forward to hearing more reports about your new 7 wt. What is your intended use for this stick? Last time I was in TB I cast the BIIx 7 and I gotta say, at least to me, it's probably one of the standouts of the line. I balked at taking it home with me though as I already have a St. Croix 7 wt and it works for me on the rare occasions that I fish a 7. Most of the time on the streams I've got my BIIx or WT in a 5 wt in my hand...80% of the time at least. My 4 wt WT gets the nod after those two, particularly for dries or when I'm on a spring creek. When it's time to dredge the depths for hogs or I'm in a pontoon boat, the 9 1/2 6wt BIIx is my favorite. Those are the 4 green rods that I've got now and it covers most of what I'm doing.

Did you get a chance to cast any of the BIIt's? I hear really good things about that line.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I like sage rods, but I can't get this one to cast right. I always get a bunch of backlash on the reel, even though both the rod and the reel are supposed to be pretty good stuff. Any ideas?

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Here's a picture of the combo if it helps.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's an up-locking reel seat and that throws the balance off... Maybe you could duct tape the reel a little lower on the rod or get one of those cool band clamp thingies (make sure it is Stainless Steel for saltwater nad not those cheap chromed ones they rusted a rod of mine once)

And that reel would probably work better on a lighter rod because it probably won't hold a whole 8wt level line.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2
Here's a picture of the combo if it helps.

[Linked Image]

Well....after seeing this, I guess its safe to "come out of the closet" and admit to fishing at times with hardware... grin
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those barrels are pretty thin, what sort of accuracy do you get with them? laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Skane...if youve been watching this thread, you'll know my accuracy is lousy...fly or spin, I catch a LOT of bushes on the other side of the creek ( spin) and a LOT of bushes behind me ( fly)...
When I am really "on my game" and the tackle is balanced, and the planets aligned...I can occasionally cast MOT ( minute of trout) grin
[Linked Image]
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice one - cool pict too.
I'd be lucky with MOW. (minute of water) grin

WWP53D
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I do better casting from a boat in the middle of a lake...then gravity hellps me maintain MOW!! laugh
Ingwe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds kind of like me and MOB with a pistola. That'd be "minute of barn", and I can do that as long as I'm shooting from the Inside of the barn... whistle

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sounds like me since I grew into bifocals....you got yours yet Dober?? wink
Ingwe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do I have them yet or can I find them yet... wink

Actually I don't, but I don't go anywhere without my slim line cheaters anymore either...

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Sounds kind of like me and MOB with a pistola. That'd be "minute of barn", and I can do that as long as I'm shooting from the Inside of the barn... whistle

Dober

I'm part of that club too. grin

WWP53D
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It is a BEOTCH to find your glasses....when you don't have your glasses on!!! cry
Ingwe

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

I'm part of that club too. grin

Yep...the pistol ammo manufacturers have offered me stock options...
Ingwe

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last year I started devoting shooting time to the pistolas and I've seen my accuracy improve. I really dig pulling an "Elmer Keith" and shooting them long range. Damn fun and, once you get the hang of it, surprisingly accurate. Even with my Glock .45, I can hit the foot square rock at the 100 yd line a few times with every clip and most shots are MOD (minute of dude).

Just for grins, I gotta tell you this story: I used to live in snake country and I dispatched my share of rattlers with my Ruger 22. Well one day after head shooting one, my neighbor walks over and examined the corpse and observed, "That's nice shooting. How do you head shoot them like that." Well, I was in a funnin' mood so I started weaving the barrel in a figure 8 in the air and I explained that it sort of hypnotized the snake and when you fired, the snake would sense the heat of the bullet and strike at it, thereby insuring a good head shot. Guy scratched his head and wandered back home. I sure heard a lot of shooting going on in the days following my BSing him and it made me grin every time grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whip
KK,
I'm looking forward to hearing more reports about your new 7 wt. What is your intended use for this stick? Last time I was in TB I cast the BIIx 7 and I gotta say, at least to me, it's probably one of the standouts of the line. I balked at taking it home with me though as I already have a St. Croix 7 wt and it works for me on the rare occasions that I fish a 7. Most of the time on the streams I've got my BIIx or WT in a 5 wt in my hand...80% of the time at least. My 4 wt WT gets the nod after those two, particularly for dries or when I'm on a spring creek. When it's time to dredge the depths for hogs or I'm in a pontoon boat, the 9 1/2 6wt BIIx is my favorite. Those are the 4 green rods that I've got now and it covers most of what I'm doing.

Did you get a chance to cast any of the BIIt's? I hear really good things about that line.

Yea I cast the 5wt,6wt, 7wt, 8wt in BIIx, the 6wt, 7wt, 8wt in BIImx and BIIt in 5wt. The BIIx 7wt is the sweetheart of the line for sure with the 5wt a close second. I liked the BIIt as well. It really has the signature winston action like the LT's but has the power of boron in the butt. It was nice and delicate in close but still had plenty of power to zing out a 70 foot cast.

I got the 7wt for 2 reasons. First being I've been working on my casting instructor cert for a little while and needed a 9 foot rod that was accurate, smooth and powerful. Second I wanted to use it as a big nymph and streamer rod that wasn't a tank. In the winter I throw some pretty big streamers and a size 6 BH prince is a standard in my box. I have a Sage Z-Axis 10ft 7wt that is a killer rod but its not as delicate as the BIIx and is a much better AK or saltwater rod then Montana rod.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Page 155 of 173 1 2 153 154 155 156 157 172 173

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (1936M71, 007FJ, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.