Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The read is also full of some holes.... its an opinion, just like the rest of ours.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might be the ultimate AR if you're a SOF type of guy. I'm not.

Terry

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Jeff, did you see my post above about the 20" fluted barrel?

It may not be what you want but at least you know now.

Terry

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by rost495
The read is also full of some holes.... its an opinion, just like the rest of ours.

+++++++++++++++++++

I certainly understand that. All part of the learning process, I think.

What do you find could be improved?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

J
J
The 22pdk is the Brainchild of Roy Winnett. He also does the 6mm pdk, 20pdk and the 6.5pdk. He has the cases made for him, I bought 800 a few weeks ago...they look very well made. He has a website where you had reach him, www.pdk20.com. Jezzer (UK)

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks Jezzer, that's what I was looking for.

As for the opinion/holes thingy, I and alot of other people share the same opinion, only makes you right if it works for you.

I have a feeling we'll see just who makes the best AR/M4 since Colt's time expired on the rights to the M4 TDP. It now belongs to the Army and test guns are being built probably as we speak.

The MIL and Colt worked together "tweaking" the M4 into what it is, not all companies use or can use the info. Now we will see...

Basicly a Colt 6920 (civy legal M4)is about perfect for an all around AR especialy if HD/PD is important.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Indeed, a Recce configuration is not the best at anything. It wasn't designed to be. If you shoot High Power, it's useless. It is less then optimum for building clearing. It lacks the barrel length to hang with the SPR's past mid range, and the optic is generally not setup for 700m shots. It however, can do nearly everything adequately.

I could care less whether one uses a 10.5in barreled gun, or a 26in heavy monster. The original posters stated goals point to a specific configuration.

Originally Posted by TWR
I have a feeling we'll see just who makes the best AR/M4 since Colt's time expired on the rights to the M4 TDP. It now belongs to the Army and test guns are being built probably as we speak.

The MIL and Colt worked together "tweaking" the M4 into what it is, not all companies use or can use the info. Now we will see...

Maybe, maybe not. If all goes as some plan there will be an open competition. If so it's doubtful the M4 as we know it will be selected.

Tracking on the 6920. It follows the TDP, and there is a reason for the TDP.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It will be interesting for sure. I know some are hoping for a new mouse trap but when it all shakes out buying an $800 M4 vs a $2000 HK416 (or other) tells me we ain't done with the M4 yet and to me that's a good thing.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Charles_A
For an all-around gun-

Cons

-18in Barrel is to long and unnecessary
-6.8 is expensive and unnecessary
-Vltor Upper while being high quality, is heavy and unnecessary

What you described is really a specialized gun.

You mentioned using it for SD/HD. If you hadn't then it's just whatever you want. If you think you may have it for serious use then there are certain things you will want.

If you buy a single high-end AR-15 with HD/SD in mind, I would like you to think about the following. I happen to live in a subdivision and my wife and I have several children of various ages living at home. When an HD situation arises and you pull out that big ole AR-15, release the bolt to load the first round off the 30 round mag and start blasting away, just remember this, you have to account and explain every bullet that you will be sending out of your fancy schamcy AR-15 and this may very well happen in a court of law in front of a judge and a hand-picked jury. If your bullets go through the interior and exterior walls or doors or windows (and they surely can,) they will continue on looking to spend themselves somewhere. For non-TEOTWAWKI situations, a shotgun or a handgun is better suited for HD. Also, I have never been able to conceal carry an AR-15.

On the other hand I read where Isaac said a few times that he wants to use this rifle for hunting and big boars where mentioned. I suspect there will also be some target shooting and some plinking, perhaps some varmint shooting, these things usually indicate a need for an accurate rifle. Longer barrels will produce higher velocity, a good thing for hunting and longer distance shooting.

Stay with tier on manufactures-Colt, LMT, Noveske, etc., or a really good "smith" that uses tier one parts. S&W also makes a pretty good gun. Forget Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River, Olympic, etc. for serious use. They have to many problems.

Bushmaster, DPMS and Rock River are all fine. I do not believe Isaac is going into combat. I am partial to ArmaLite, there are many others.

Make sure you get a barrel that is chambered in 5.56 with a 1-7 or 1-8 twist, do not get one with a 223 chamber. 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 twist will shoot light bullets just fine, and will stabilize 77gr OTM's which do make a difference at range. Make sure it has a chrome lined chamber and bore. You're not using it for High Power matches- a 5.56 chamber and fully chrome lined barrel will help make sure it works, and as long as you get a good quality barrel you will not have a problem averaging 1MOA with match ammo.
You can also use a good stainless barrel with a Wylde or MK262 match chamber, but you do give up some longevity and durability, and reliabilty with certain types of ammo with them.

Oh my gosh, I don't have fully (or partially) chromed lined barrels in my ARs. I have stainless steel barrels and I take good care of them. I would love to know how I am giving up "some longevity and durability, and reliabilty with certain types of ammo with them."

An 18-20in barrel is unnecessary. It decreases maneuverability, adds weight and aids very little in mid range shooting. A 16in barreled gun is fully capable of shooting and hitting at mid range (5-600yds), and is much better for running and gunning.

As you probably guess by now, I like 20inch or longer barrels. Then again, I don't run and gun and as I explained earlier, I will not be using an AR for HD, unless there is nothing more suitable left.

Use a free-float handguard.

Indeed, and I explained that in my earlier posting.

In general stay away from "match" triggers. If you shoot a lot and/or attend a training class, and you should, they will fail. The exceptions to this are the Gesielle and the AR Gold, though the utility of a 2lb trigger in self protection is debatable.

I hope by now that I have made my point about how bad an idea it is to use an AR-15 for home or self-defence in non-TEOTWAWKI situations.

The stock AR-15 is actually a pretty lousy device designed to make it difficult to shoot accurately ; the trigger is designed for a full auto rifle. If you are serious about wanting to shoot it accurately, you need to change the triggers. The NM triggers from ArmaLite and others are very good. I have Geissele triggers in mine. Don't worry, they have been backordered for many months now; the government is seemingly buying all the triggers Bill Geissele can make at home. I know of none other as good, let alone better than Geissele.

Once you have fired a stock AR-15 trigger and then try out a Geissele or even an NM from ArmaLite or RRA, you will understand why you do not want the stock trigger.

As to optics- they can be whatever you prefer. All-around means from contact distance to mid range (0-500yds or so) however in real life the mass majority of use is probably going to be under 200yds. So a suitable red-dot (Aimpoint) especially with a magnifier or a low power variable (1-4x, 1.5-5, etc.) is going to be the most useful.

Get a flat top and then get a nice variable scope. There are many excellent scopes to choose from.

There is actually a name for this type of rifle and it was started by military SOF. It's called a Recce, and they work very well at a whole bunch of tasks.

Especially if you are in the military or just want to have a tacticool rifle.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Terry, saw that and saved the info!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Charles_A
For an all-around gun-

Cons

-18in Barrel is to long and unnecessary
-6.8 is expensive and unnecessary
-Vltor Upper while being high quality, is heavy and unnecessary

What you described is really a specialized gun.

You mentioned using it for SD/HD. If you hadn't then it's just whatever you want. If you think you may have it for serious use then there are certain things you will want.

Stay with tier on manufactures-Colt, LMT, Noveske, etc., or a really good "smith" that uses tier one parts. S&W also makes a pretty good gun. Forget Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River, Olympic, etc. for serious use. They have to many problems.

Make sure you get a barrel that is chambered in 5.56 with a 1-7 or 1-8 twist, do not get one with a 223 chamber. 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 twist will shoot light bullets just fine, and will stabilize 77gr OTM's which do make a difference at range. Make sure it has a chrome lined chamber and bore. You're not using it for High Power matches- a 5.56 chamber and fully chrome lined barrel will help make sure it works, and as long as you get a good quality barrel you will not have a problem averaging 1MOA with match ammo.
You can also use a good stainless barrel with a Wylde or MK262 match chamber, but you do give up some longevity and durability, and reliabilty with certain types of ammo with them.

An 18-20in barrel is unnecessary. It decreases maneuverability, adds weight and aids very little in mid range shooting. A 16in barreled gun is fully capable of shooting and hitting at mid range (5-600yds), and is much better for running and gunning.

Use a free-float handguard.

In general stay away from "match" triggers. If you shoot a lot and/or attend a training class, and you should, they will fail. The exceptions to this are the Gesielle and the AR Gold, though the utility of a 2lb trigger in self protection is debatable.

As to optics- they can be whatever you prefer. All-around means from contact distance to mid range (0-500yds or so) however in real life the mass majority of use is probably going to be under 200yds. So a suitable red-dot (Aimpoint) especially with a magnifier or a low power variable (1-4x, 1.5-5, etc.) is going to be the most useful.

There is actually a name for this type of rifle and it was started by military SOF. It's called a Recce, and they work very well at a whole bunch of tasks.

Isaac

My take.... barrel goes 2-3 ways for length, 16 is worthless for much of anything but specialized. Its not a varmint or plinking tube, and its a LOUD SOB...

20 is a good compromise

26 is fine if you need all out speed...

223 is fine for combat, but I think you will do some hunting, while I'm totally comfortable with the 223 and right bullet for most deer, the 6.8 gives a bit more umph... and choosing caliber will depend on what your main goals are vs ballistics and cost of ammo.

I beg to differ on quality of some that are said to be bad... I've run so many rounds through RRA and not had any major problem... Of course I don't run as many rounds as others but have run between about 8-20K a year for many years without issues.... and the triggers in a lot of those guns were RRA NM triggers without an issue.

Chamber wise... a wylde is a 5.56 chamber with a bit better throat... it has no other differences from a "combat" chamber so to speak and it won't have any issues with any ammo unless you can find a bullet thats over standard diameter. Beyond that its fine.
I have nothing against a good chrome barrel if you get a good one. They are MOA tubes or better. And live longer lives than SS ones. But you have a decent chance of getting a bad chrome lined one too. That lining has to be done to a good tube to start with and done correctly, IE a cheap chrome one isn't worth the time unless you want to only blast.

I tend to agree on twist rate. 8 minimum

Match triggers.. all I can say is that while shooting and while running matches, I've seen one match trigger go down, I have seen some lightly set ones not keep weight at 4.5 pounds or over by leg rules, but they never failed to work, while I have seen about 3 IIRC standard ones fail. Luckily I carry many spare parts with me and can replace about anything thats field expedient in a match, including a complete trigger...
As mentioned Geisselle are going to govt contracts at the moment....

Sight wise my take is if you can't engage a decent sized target like a human silhouette with irons out to 600, you better learn HOW to shoot. But that doesn't mean I'm against glass and for most purposes glass is a good shot at it. I've never been a huge fan of red dots, I've used them a lot but they just never lit my fire, I can shoot as good or better with irons generally, but in fairness i have a bit of time with irons.

BTW I do have an 18 inch tube, and FWIW I just don't see that the 2 inches makes it any better in a house situation, or even the 4 inches of a 16 all that much better. In a house, regardless of others, I'd still clean house more confidently with a shotgun. And carry a carbine or 20 incher for outside work.
While FTR mentions penetration issues, I've been led to and read so much I'm almost convinced that 55 soft points would be safe in a house. OTOH I've shot 69 bthps through a sxs fridge/freezer at over 300 yards, that means I ain't using them in a house....

Float tube is a requirement as its a good thing and reliable enough, though I have seen 2 come off at the welds years ago...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW I should add I dont like the 6.8spc.. but thats just me. But it does make a good larger hunting round.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter

If you buy a single high-end AR-15 with HD/SD in mind, I would like you to think about the following. I happen to live in a subdivision and my wife and I have several children of various ages living at home. When an HD situation arises and you pull out that big ole AR-15, release the bolt to load the first round off the 30 round mag and start blasting away, just remember this, you have to account and explain every bullet that you will be sending out of your fancy schamcy AR-15 and this may very well happen in a court of law in front of a judge and a hand-picked jury. If your bullets go through the interior and exterior walls or doors or windows (and they surely can,) they will continue on looking to spend themselves somewhere. For non-TEOTWAWKI situations, a shotgun or a handgun is better suited for HD. Also, I have never been able to conceal carry an AR-15.

You are completely wrong on the over penetration issue. Handguns have significantly more penetration through interior walls then 5.56. Over penetration with 5.56 was disproved in the mid 90's. In any case, will you not have to answer for the rounds out of your pistol or shotgun? Shotguns have been eclipsed by the AR platform for most uses.

Also I don't recall the OP mentioning concealed carry in his post. Do you?

Bushmaster, DPMS and Rock River are all fine. I do not believe Isaac is going into combat. I am partial to ArmaLite, there are many others.

Unless you shoot and actually attend training. Then 223 chambers, non chrome lined barrels, crappy bolts, improper feed ramps, non F-marked FSB's, poor small parts, etc. will start to make you understand. If they are just for playing with, fine. Shoot whatever. However, if like the OP you want one for HD, then it is wise to select one that will give the least amount of problems.

Oh my gosh, I don't have fully (or partially) chromed lined barrels in my ARs. I have stainless steel barrels and I take good care of them. I would love to know how I am giving up "some longevity and durability, and reliabilty with certain types of ammo with them."

By your own admittance, you do not do anything serious with your AR's, other then hunt. For your uses it matters not. For high round count users that shoot a lot, and/or train there is a massive difference. Typical barrel life on a quality SS barrels will have less then half the life of a proper chrome lined barrel. Roughly 2-4,000 rounds versus 8-12,000 rounds, depending on usage. SS barrels are usually chambered with a Wylde or MK262 chamber, which are "tighter" chambers to enhance accuracy, but are also less forgiving of fouling, dirt and debris, and suspect ammo. Shoot any steel cased ammo such as Wolf, some "mil-surp", or dirty ammo through a match chambered gun in a 1,500-2,000 round class in a weekend, and you will have huge problems, if the gun can even finish.

As an aside, I am currently using a 16in, mid-length, 1/7 twisted SS match barrel on one of my work uppers. I do so knowing the pro's and con's, and accept that this barrel will be toast in half a year of use or less. Fortunately I have plenty of chrome lined guns for harsh firing cycles where the accuracy is not needed.

I hope by now that I have made my point about how bad an idea it is to use an AR-15 for home or self-defence in non-TEOTWAWKI situations.

No you haven't. You have made an emotional point about how you feel using an AR in home or self defense is a bad idea. But have yet to state a valid reason. And you don't have to. You can do whatever you like.

Especially if you are in the military or just want to have a tacticool rifle.

Or your needs are similar. A "Recce" is no more a military gun, then a heavy barreled 308 is a sniper rifle.

Facts are facts. The original poster asked for suggestions on an all-around AR for hunting, shooting, and home defense. He wanted it to be accurate, and reliable. Call it whatever you want, however as myself and another poster stated, his needs/wants fit a certain style or setup.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Just to clarify, I am in no way, trying to invalidate what you or Rost is saying. It comes down the intended usage. Because of the stated use, is why I have presented the info I have. If he would have never mentioned HD/SD then quite a bit would change.

issac, you need to define in your mind what it is you want to do with it, and then choose from there.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Charles, I liked your post but one thing I've learned on these gun boards is try to never speak in absalutes. Use some "IMHO's" and "I personally like's" and it won't sound so controversial.

Terry

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We probably all sound like our thoughts are the only right ones....

Had I to run combat only my choices would be slightly different.

But for home defense they won't vary much. While I have not had an in home encounter, thank God, I have ducked out the door more than once with both a 16 inch and a 26 inch AR for coyotes, and moving through the house and our NARROW halls and sharp corners the 26 isn't much of a hassle. Now if you expected someone to grab the muzzle as you came around a corner could be different, IE combat is different. Home defense you will only generlaly encounter some stupid idiot wiht no training or plans.

Thats where specific to more or less combat is often said, but generally not meant. Unless you are LEO or Military(and if so we thank you for your service whomever is reading this) and do a lot of specific training most folks won't train much for home stuff, but will do a LOT more plinking/varminting....

As to respnosible for pistol or shotgun rounds, yep, for all of them. Its why I prefer that I never have to fire a handgun as a civilian at another.... and why I prefer a shotgun, because I don't carry stuff that will penetrate far in the house, preferring that my first hadnful of rounds is birdshot, which is fine if needed up close but doesn't go far. Even in the street...

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Let me introduce you to the box of truth.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm

I suggest at least the first 3 links on the page.

Last edited by FTR_Shooter; 07/23/09.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Didn't see any of the correct 223 projectiles used in those tests but may have missed it.

While I can't argue with street facts, I still find it hard to believe that at 15 feet or less, house distances, that a load of birdshot would not penetrate. I've seen deer killed with dove loads a few times. Also hogs up close when dove hunting. Of course anything is possible and I'd also be willing to bet the guy still walking after a 12 gauge to the chest was doped up and anything less than a CNS hit would end up the same. Sometimes not all the data is given. Either on purpose or by accident.

We used to carry our rigged slugs hunting... moly wads or mile or more...cut the shell in half on a dove load and boy have I seen more than a few deer shot with that load over the years.

Jeff

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No dog in this fight but this is a good lower to start with

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../1/FS_New_LMT_AR15_Lower_ergo_gri#UNREAD

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I'll leave the fighting, if it is that, to the experts and friends here who are providing me a decent and appreciated education. I guess learning is painful...and expensive!

Thanks for the link,Keith. With that lower you recommended, is changing uppers to other calibers an easy task?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 470Evans, 300_savage, 35, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,813 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,486
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.