H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Friends,

I got this email this week...jim
-------------------------
Just wanted to bring to your attention a new muzzleloader hunting blog launched this past weekend -
NORTH AMERICAN MUZZLELOADER HUNTING .

This morning, I began establishing links to the blog from the NORTH AMERICAN MUZZLELOADER HUNTING Web Magazine
site.

A real killer these days is for company's to maintain a very knowledgeable customer service...with the
hands on muzzleloader experience to tackle performance problems. My goal with this blog is to get as many
muzzleloading hunters involved as possible, and to let those who are shooting and hunting with today's
muzzleloaders to help each other as much as possible.

Last year, I personally answered more than 15,000 muzzleloader related e-mails. And, I am sure that many of you receive
more than your fair share as well.

Thanks to the pledged support of Thompson/Center Arms , this blog could help alleviate many of those e-mails and/or
customer service phone calls. Within the next month, I want to have discussions on a dozen or more topics or issues
taking place on the blog. To make this work for everyone in the muzzleloading industry, I could use a little help from many
of you.

Please take the time to log onto the NORTH AMERICAN MUZZLELOADER HUNTING blog from time to time, and to make a comment or
two about the topics...subjects...issues being discussed. To have well known writers and "Industry Experts" jump in now and then can only
make this blog more popular...the place to go for information.

Likewise, this blog will remain as open as possible to all muzzleloading brands and product lines...and sdhould be a great place for you to keep up
on current trends...and issues that are important to today's muzzleloading hunter. Here's a link to the blog...

http://namlhunt.blogspot.com/

Competition is what keeps muzzleloading vibrant and growing, thanks to new and innovative products. Working together is
what will keep muzzleloader hunting alive, with a bright future.

Upcoming blog posts include:

SCOPING THE MUZZLE-LOADED BIG GAME RIFLE

SHOOT MORE FOR LESS MONEY

COMPRESSED PELLETS OR SPEED LOADERS?

ONE SHOT, ONE KILL

ARE MUZZLELOADER SEASONS IN DANGER OF BEING ELIMINATED?

FULL ENERGY TRANSFER...OR COMPLETE PASS THROUGH?

DO YOU LOOSE VELOCITY WITH EASY LOAD SABOTS?

KEEP 'EM CLEAN

MONTANA NEEDS A MUZZLELOADER SEASON!

WHY DOES COLORADO, OREGON & IDAHO BAN SABOTS?

TRADITIONAL OR MODERN?

If you have a topic that needs covered, please drop me an e-mail.

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

406 542-9751

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Big conicals do a better job than sabots.

I made a post on another forum that didnt go so well as an open mind seems hard to come by these days.

The topic was:

Inlines have been banned! Traditional Percussion/flintlocks are the only legal muzzleloading firearm to use. Previous bans on scopes/sabots have been lifted - anything goes!!. What would you be using?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
personaly if it concerns bridges or wakeman , ill skip them

Last edited by captchee; 07/28/09.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Toby has been super nice to me. He has helped me with my question.
He has been a first rate Gentleman with me.

Hope you all have a good day.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

W
W
Jim & Hammerdown,

With some folks, if you don't agree with everything they say or post...they don't like you.

Sabots and in-lines forever!

Toby

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Toby
Keep up the good work.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm with you Cap, they're both schills........

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the link.

Like or dislike someone, that is your choice

Like or dislike someone's ideas, that is your choice

However, attack the person, and you become lower than anything you rail against.

In other words, IMO attack an idea, but never the man. That is the grown up way to do things.

That is unless you can produce pictures and a tape recording proving otherwise.

Feel free to dissagree, that is your choice

Last edited by txhunter58; 07/30/09.

Venor ergo sum
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Wolfkill
Jim & Hammerdown,

With some folks, if you don't agree with everything they say or post...they don't like you.

Toby

actually for me , that has little to do with it .
its not a mater of traditional or modern , though some sure would like it to be .
some of us have been around long enough to see and question many things and have witness the Ides and flow of the tides .
SOME of us are old enough to have read TB in his early days and followed him right up through his most recent incident and controversy .
Now when I say old enough , im not just talking about age but total length of experience on a given subject .
With TB he has a very long line of experience , I don�t think anyone can challenge that . I sure wouldn�t .
Some of us also have more personal dealings and experience with both these folks then just whats read on the net and Thus base an opinions on a little more then , a he said she said . .

I have no problem with those who support, one , the other or someone else concerning any view .
Learn what you can from who you can . Then expand what you know by learning more from your own experiences. Sometimes you will find it supports what those you have learned from told you . Other times it will lead you to question that information .

But as for myself , as I said , ill skip and just take anything said by TB as a grain of salt . It goes much deeper then just helping someone with their inline issues or for that mater �compiling � articles on the subject for others to read .
To each their own .
But through my years I have come to learn that one should never take someone�s word s as the gods honest truth , unless they have actually read and understood that truth . Knowing , WHERE that truth comes from ..
So when I say I skip these two . There is a lot more to do with it then just a modern vs. traditional argument .
some of you have your oppenion . your welcome to it. as for me , i will not challange that oppenion even if i disagree with it .
but i also believe that in return that very same respect should be given .

when its not . thats when i think we have an issue .

Be safe guys and have a good one

Last edited by captchee; 07/30/09.

[Linked Image]
W
W
Captchee...

With one heck of a lot of words, you really didn't say much of anything.

Me thinks it still boils back to the fact that you sway in favor of tradtiional muzzleloaders...and I lean heavily in the other direction. If you and I have ever had any "personal dealings", it would have to be in regard to the work I do to eliminate backward muzzleloader regulations.

You and I have never hunted together...we've never hung out together...we've never bought and sold each other a darn thing...and we sure as heck aren't related. You didn't screw up and marry one of my old girlfriends did you?

You and I have never had any "personal dealings". Our one and only tie has been muzzleloading. And it is clear you are tradtiional...and I make it very clear that I swing far more in favor of the modern muzzleloaders.

Toby

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Toby-

I've never understood the traditional vs. inlines thing. I can appreciate the folks that use traditional stuff, not unlike the longbow and recurve in archery. It's just not my bag. I say, use what floats your boat and go have fun. The guy toting a Hawken is just as much a hunter as the guy toting an Omega.

We're all hunters here so let's keep the main thing - the main thing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like both inline and traditional but when you can take something like this,
Just a prop pic, The target was shot with the 348gr Aerotips.
[Linked Image]

And do THIS @ 100 yards, why bother with an inline?
[Linked Image]

Thats my most Accurate rifle that i own right now and i may use it on my bear hunt this fall.

Last edited by bigblock455; 07/30/09.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wolfkill
sorry i did my best

Am I a traditionalist , yep I am . But does that have anything to do with this , NOPE not one iota .
I have no use for someone , be they a politician or a gun owner . center fire , Modern muzzleloading or Traditional muzzleloader , who follows a money trail and flip flops or tells what IMO are half truths for their own betterment .
When it comes to the modern vs. traditional camps , there are people in both that I have very little to No use for . Their names are listed in the same book and on the same line as TB

Now when it comes to folks who IMO are deserving of respect , you will see Doc White amoung those on the very top . Why .
Because when you talk to Doc you get an honest answer . Not based on something he is selling or a product that he is getting endorsements from or because he in some way wants to be seen as a leader in any given area .
Now if Doc was to start a blog , you can be Damb sure I would be over there listening , be it traditional or not . now might i disagree with him ?? yep on some things . but that doesn not any anyway reduce my respect for the man .

But TB ??? Nope , not a chance , he burned that bridge long, long ago .

For the record here , I also supported his opinions on the ML 10 issue . Not because it was a modern muzzleloader or because it used smokeless , but because after reading what he had to say and what he had shown it gave me concerns . But I also had other concerns , past what he was saying . I have stated those many times on the subject , on a couple modern forums . That had 0 to do with modern , vs. traditional but more on TB himself ,.

Again this is just my opinion and im trying to be as tactful as I can , so as not to get nasty letters concerning lawsuits .
I simply do not like the man and the reasoning has nothing to do with modern or traditional . Its about him and him alone
So believe what you want . But I been around this business for a very long time . I know who I trust to give me an honest , un bias opinion and TB is not one of them .
Now if others feel differently , then , ha more power to ya .
But don�t for one munite tell me WHY I feel a given way or WHY I have the opinion I do . I think we all have had enough of that BS from obama

Last edited by captchee; 07/30/09.

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Captchee: I want to be clear that my post was not referring to you. You did not get into name calling. You are entitled to your opinion, and I have no beef with that. Your opinion is just as valid as mine and I think you have done a pretty good job at explaining your position and opinion.

You have a valid point about following the money, and I wouldn't try and say you are wrong. I just have a different take. After all, just about everyone I know thinks highly of Doc White, but where is his business now? Methinks he didn't think ENOUGH about the money! And now we can't buy his great rifles because of it.

For a guy like Toby, Muzzleloading is his life and his livelyhood, so he has to be a salesman as well as an informer. I keep that in mind and think I have learned quite a bit in spite of it. When nobody else was writing about Blackhorn 209, Toby was and I got some valuable info. I always figured that he got some money from them, but his info and results were enough to get me to try it and WOW, I love it. Certainly not traditional muzzleloading, but to each his own.

So, you do make some valid points and they are as valid as mine.

Good hunting!

Venor ergo sum
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Cap put it more diplomatically than I, tact isn't always my strong suit...I should mention I shoot and hunt with in-lines, don't own a traditional (still waiting for a great plains with a 1"-24"twist). So my reaction has nothing to do with modern vs. traditional BS.
Cap sums up it pretty well for me.

Tactlessly,

Charlie

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
fair enough Txhunter , who could ask for more .
wolf knows what im speaking about and no i didnt marry one of his old girl friends
be safe

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Toby,

A long time ago I sent you an e-mail expressing my concerns on the issue of requiring states to allow optical sights on BP rifles. There could be ramifications in South Dakota beyond the usual traditional/modern argument which I see as a matter of individual choice (I prefer traditional). You sent me a polite reply acknowledging my concerns and expressing yours in a gentlemanly way. Thanks, I appreciated that.

Jon

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by captchee

Now if Doc was to start a blog , you can be Damb sure I would be over there listening.....

I don't know Doc White, but I'd hazard a guess that if he started a blog he wouldn't be over here arguing with people about it.

And why anyone would worry about muzzleloader regulations outside their own state is a mystery to me.

If the people of the state of Colorado want to restrict the use of scopes and sabots in Colorado, it's the business of the people of Colorado, and no one else.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by smokepole

Now if Doc was to start a blog , you can be Damb sure I would be over there listening.....

I don't know Doc White, but I'd hazard a guess that if he started a blog he wouldn't be over here arguing with people about it.

And why anyone would worry about muzzleloader regulations outside their own state is a mystery to me.

If the people of the state of Colorado want to restrict the use of scopes and sabots in Colorado, it's the business of the people of Colorado, and no one else.

Unless, of course, you make your living off of products that'd otherwise be restricted.........................

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Exactly my point. Why not just dispense with the crap and cut to the chase?

I grew up in VA and hunted there for many years, first with a centerfire for deer and then almost exclusively with a muzzleloader. I used a Hawken back then. I always wanted to try deer hunting with a muzzleloader in PA but didn't own a flintlock.

It never occurred to me that what I should've done was tell the Pennsylvanians to get with the program. I always thought if I wanted to hunt in their state, it was my resposibility to learn their regulations and follow them. Or, if I didn't want to do that, go somewhere else.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
The muzzleloader rules certainly matter for the traveling hunter such as myself, especially since the rules don't have any science-based or safety-related justification. Right now I have a rifle I know is legal for Colorado and loads for it, and other rifles for other jurisdictions.

Older hunters like me also generally can do better with optical sights as well. I am amused to hear younger hunters say it doesn't matter to them, because I know that time marches on. wink

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some serious thinking does go into setting regulations for ML hunting, how well it works is debatable.

If optical sights were required to be allowed in South Dakota there was, and probably still is, a real chance that the muzzle loader season would be canceled. Hard to say what kind of a chance as the powers that be understandably won't speculate. I wasn't there but those who were tell me that lower success rate and fewer ML hunters were important in getting the ML season in the first place. Statewide, the general season success rate runs roughly 55 percent with a 16 day season and 79,700 tags issued. For muzzle loader it's about 35 percent over a 51 day season with not quite 6,000 tags.

We don't have an unlimited number of deer in this state: the biologists estimate deer population by county and determine desirable harvest limits. That's the basis for determining seasons and tag numbers. Obviously success rates and hunters participating in a particular season figure into it.

As an aside, 24,600 archery tags issued with a success rate of roughly 30 percent over a 4 month season.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would have to say that as my eyes get older, I would probably vote for allowing a 1X scope if it was on a ballot. However, I am for keeping ML seasons fairly primative for the reasons nighthawk relates.

If pellets, sabots and 3X12 scopes were allowed in Colorado, I firmly believe two things would happen:

1) A lot more people would apply

2) The success rates would be higher, thereby causing them to reduce the number of tags issued.

These two things would lower my dismal odds even more.

Like they say, be careful what you wish for, you may get it.

Venor ergo sum
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by HunterJim
.....especially since the rules don't have any science-based or safety-related justification.

Well, I would have to respectfully disagree with this, on a couple different levels. Restricting things like scopes, sabots, and smokeless powder most certainly and you could say scientifically limits the range at which most hunters are effective with their rifles. No two ways about that. And if you limit the effective range of weapons that can be used, that makes it harder for the average hunter to kill an animal, no two ways about that either.

As far as Colorado goes, I've spoken with Colorado DOW staff who were involved in drafting the regulations. The ML season in Colorado falls during the elk rut and also before the general firearms season. So the bulls are bugling and can be called in (or at a minimum easily located)and the cows are relatively undisturbed, and all of this is a huge advantage to the hunter.

So Colorado decided that the ML regulations would serve to put the ML hunter at a disadvantage compared to a hunter using a modern centerfire rifle, because hunting during the rut and before the general firearms season was such an advantage. The best way to do that was limit the effective range of the weapons allowed. Things like scopes, sabots, and smokeless powder allow the average hunter to shoot more accurately at longer ranges so they were banned; things like in-line ignitions and BP substitutes don't so they weren't banned. I don't see how you can get any more scientific than that.

And I don't buy the "ethical" argument, that is, a more accurate rifle is a more ethical hunting tool (I know you didn't make this argument but if the thread goes any distance it's bound to pop up). Because ethics don't reside in the weapon, they reside in the hunter and any ethical hunter both practices enough to know his effective range and limits himself to shots within that range.

Lastly, on your comment about age, I'm getting older myself and personally I don't agree with that argument. I have some pretty bad arthritis in one ankle and I know that one of these years (soon) it's going to prevent me from getting very far from the truck in the roadless areas I like to hunt. But that's just something I'll have to live with. I'm not going to try to make the case that old guys with arthritis should be able to ride four wheelers. Likewise when I can't pull a 70-lb. bow, I won't ask to use a crossbow. And when I can't see the fiber optic sights any more, I won't be asking to use a scope. Maybe I'll just hang out in camp, do the cooking, and rib the young guys. That wouldn't be half bad.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Some interesting opinions folks .
There most certainly is a lot of opinions around all the rules .
To many times those opinions � In my opinion LOL � are based on politics .
This country is a republic not a democracy and as such each state is an individual in and of itself , in that it has its own laws . Those laws differ from simply highway laws , to gun laws to civil laws to hunting laws .
If you travel from state to state it s your responsibility to know those different laws and follow them .
When it comes to muzzleloading season and rules . The big issue that I see is that to often folks state things that simply are not true . Basicly they show a lack of knowledge of the state law . Which agin if they are going to hunt in the state , be it muzzleloader or other . You better know the law .
Lets take the scope issue here .
How many of you knew that until just recently here in Idaho it was illegal to use a scope that was lighted in any way or for that mater any type of sight that was lighted other then by natural means . thats not just for muzzleloading but for ALL hunting

Now some I have read have stated that scopes are now aloud here in Idaho for muzzleloading . This is not completely true . Just as when these very same folks stated that they were not aloud . that�s was also not true .
What has changes is a printing of the law , we have had for a very long time. its the VERY SAME law that was in effect during the 2006-2008 issues with scopes and muzzleloading ..

IE a person can go in and under a handicap application get a waver to use a scope . However this requires a doctors statement saying you are to a degree of visually impaired .
=========================
Equipped with only open or peep sights. Scopes and any
electronics are prohibited. Except hunters with a visual
disability may apply for a permit to use nonmagnifying
scopes. (Applications are available at Fish and Game
=============================

These same rules also apply for archery. We don�t alow cross bows in archery . But if you are handicapt in some way , you can get a waver .
This even goes for general season hunters . We have rules against shooting from public roads and motor vehicles. But if you need to do that , you can get a waver so you can .

Now some folks are on to the sabot issue . Ahhhhh they say , Idaho doesn�t alow sabots .
Well again not completely true . On one hand for the muzzleloading hunts , the answer is true .
BUT if you hunt in the general weapons season or short range weapons areas , its not true . See we don�t have a general state wide muzzleloading season. What is called general muzzleloading season is really just some given areas . Not all of the state
But when the general any weapons season comes around . For the most part with some acceptations its state wide . In that hunt or short range weapons hunts , you can use what you like . Scopes WITH magnification , sabots 209, closed ignitions , even smokeless powder . In fact last weekend there are areas that opened to the above , just last weekend for elk and deer . Yet the general archery season has not even opened yet .
See with sabots , here in this state when it comes to muzzleloading hunts .we run into a couple issues
One issue is the muzzleloading rules . One in specifically is our caliber restrictions . Basicly no smaller then 45 for deer and no smaller then 50 for elk .
Yet with a sabot a person hunting elk with a legal rifle would be using a sub 50 cal projectile for elk ?????? Now how does that work . Why cant I then use my 45 cal for elk ???
I approached the commission about this many years back , well before the modern rifles came about .
I ask , why is it that we designate the 45 only for deer . Yet for center fire we have no such designations . It makes no since . I can build a load for a 45 that will give better velocities and more more energy at 100 yards then a 30.30 . Yet that 30.30 is legal for deer and elk , but my 45 is not ????
The management answer was that their field studies concerning wound loss rates were higher when the 45 was considered . i was also told that most people were not me and thus even if i could produce such a load , the state had to plan for a vast amount of people who would not .
This was brought up again as part of the 2007 issues �BUY THE MANAGEMENT DEPT�

So now we have a law that states a projectile can be no more then .010 under bore size .
The out cry was again AHHHH!!! Those traditionalists . Well guess what folks . My most accurate load for my 62 caliber is now illegal here .
My 62 cal shoots best with a Patched round ball of .600 . It misses that rule by .010 as the ball is .020 under bore size . does this mean i dont suport the rule ,,, NOPE i do becouse it effectivly forces people to comply with the writing of the caliber law .

I brought up the very same issue again at the 2007 meeting . If we are allowing sabots , smokeless and every other whistle and bang improvement in our short range areas , then why do we not alow center fires like the 30.30 in those areas ?? The answer was range . The state does not want what they consider to be longer range capabilities used in areas that have high levels of human populations . Now that�s understandable but again it�s a contradiction
So what is one to do ? You either support restrictions to the seasons OR you open the season up . But when you open that season up what you end up with is General any weapon hunts . Not an issue here with Me as those type of hunts still give the largest % of hunting opportunity for me and my flintlock .
But if I support muzzleloading hunting opportunity , then do I not then need to support and follow such rules as this .010 rule . You bet I do because if I don�t . then one day there will be no reason to have the seasons at all .

So see even as a traditionalist , I would also agree that sometimes rules make no since . Heck even those of us that work closely with the fish and game and the commissioners many . MANY, times after those commissioners come out from behind closed doors, we are left standing there wondering just where the rule came from or what they were thinking as the end result is many times nothing like what was propsed .

Case in point the side lock rule that we had here two years ago that block most modern ignitions .. What a complete debacle and mess . People though that this rule was based on traditionalists push . Well I can tell you it wasn�t . I was there for all the meetings . I heard the recommendations from the management department and I know what was requested by the traditional groups .
Yes , we recommended a side lock only rule . But that rule was to be applied to areas the state had set aside for Traditional muzzleloading ONLY ,, not for any and all muzzleloading areas ..
But this was in open conflict with brad Compton the game management supervisor who then solicited our support based on the supposed information they had compiled showing an increase in take . Based on that , many of the groups backed his proposal . However within 3 months of requesting said information and not getting it . People began to go back to the original request . IE side lock only in traditional ONLY .designated hunts .
Yet when the commission finished, what we got wasn�t what was being ask for . Now if you want PROOF of that , you can go back staring in 2006 and read the commission minutes . Its all there and it�s a part of public record.

But people didn�t bother to really look at the issues and immediately drew lines and pointed blame. Instead of following the proper channels , many went strait to the governor, who then put pressure on the commission to change the rule despite what they were getting from their own polling data .
So now we have less opportunity in that a couple years back you could actually hunt more .
If I wanted to hunt with a modern rifle , I could . If there was an area that I wanted to hunt and it was designated Traditional only . I simply used that type of system and I could hunt that unit the next day or week if I wanted to .
Then when the general any weapon season came around if I had not filled a tag , I could go out with my center fire, muzzleloading rifle , traditional muzzleloader , bow , sling shot , sspear , rock or what have you and hunt some more . Then if I didn�t fill my tag in that season I had an option to hunt any of the later season hunts .
But not now . Now a lot of these muzzleloader hunts are permit or draw only . If you apply and get one of those tags , it cuts you out of hunting in any other area or any other season for that species .

The end result is still all the same even after this long post . Each state is different . You want to hunt that state , then you follow their rules or don�t hunt that state .
We all may be US citizens . But we are all not citizens of anymore then ones state .
So IMO one should not tell another states citizens what they should or shouldn�t do untell such time as you become a citizen of that state .
Tell then such a person nothing but an out of state lobbyist and should be hung from the nearest pine untell such time as the wolves . Which thier like also forced upon us , have picked every last piece of them and the rope rots away .

Sorry this is so long but I had to say it

Last edited by captchee; 08/02/09.

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
"We all may be US citizens . But we are all not citizens of anymore then ones state .
So IMO one should not tell another states citizens what they should or shouldn�t do untell such time as you become a citizen of that state ."

Lots of good info in your post, but can't fully agree with you on this one. For instance, in Colorado nonresidents provide 70% of license revenue. To say that we should have no input in shaping the rules would not be fair IMO. I believe when you pay to play with that kind of money, you should have some input. So I tell them what I think every chance I get. In fact, I have been on an online opinion committee when they were trying to develop rules/seasons for the future. We don't have much clout, but I hope our ideas has some impact.

Venor ergo sum
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
ahhh yes the license revenue thing .IE I pay 800 to 1000 for a hunt in state X so therefore I should have a say in state X �s management and regulation

have you looked at idahos out of state fee's lately .
Now I ask you , what brings an out of state hunter into another state to hunt . Now obviously if they are willing to pay that high cost , there must be a reason right .
What would that be based on ?? Hunting with other family members living in that state , sometimes is the case . As would be high harvest numbers .
But for the most part those big bucks go to states with not only high harvest numbers but also high chance of taking trophy game . Would you pay Idaho or Colorado�s out of state fee�s if say they only aloud you to take a forked horn mule or a doe ???
Probably not
But as you say , a vary large% of the income from license comes from out of state sales . However the numbers of license sold , does not lean that way .
Now its also easy to say ; well since the greatest amount of money generated from tags an license is from out of state hunter , then those from out of state should have a say .
But we forget that for the largest % of folks , the reason they pay the cost is because of the way the state has managed things . Its because of the way the local people , land owners , ranchers and hunters have maintained their wildlife so as to provide that opportunity .
Who is it that in the off season , maintains the herds . Ie donates and supplies feed for the winter feeding stations when the state runs out of money from out of state tag sales .
Who is it that pays for crop damage to ranchers . Who is it that pays a tax on all outdoor items hunting fishing and camping through the year so as to help maintain the herds .
Now some of that money comes from the fed level . That much is true . But remember fedrial money also comes from the very people who are also living in state X and who also pay at a state level in tax .
Stating a base of allowing out of state consideration because of this is really hypocritical.
Do we alow out of state people to vote in state elections?? Why not . The feds fund the highways , indigent care and a whole lot of funding that states use . So why should one not then under the same ruse of federal funding , not be able to also vote and force changes to other states governments .
Personally I think folks in NY were crazy for voting Hillary into office. Should I be able to sue or force NY to get rid of her because I go there once every few years . Spend a week or so and spend money ?
I don�t think that would ever fly would it .

Now lest say that I want to hunt state X . I pay ??? Oh lets say 1500 for an elk tag .
Then lets say while in that state I pay ??? Oh another 2000 in gas , food , lodging .
Maybe I harvest , maybe I don�t . can state X count on me to buy that license every year ???? Nope.
So who is it that is responsible and is task with maintaining things tell such time as I decide to come back . Basically the people of that state .

We live in a country made up smaller countries that we call states . States are individuals . They have their own laws , their own governments and their own constitutions . They are initiates in and of themselves . People should be proud that they can travel and enjoy all that each state provided. I live where I do because I like it here . People come here because the like the way the people here have made it and kept it . If they didn�t , they wouldn�t come. They know where the boarders are and are free at any time to keep right on going .
Really this whole issue is like the ne resident standing up in a public hearing and exclaiming ; this is how we did it in state X and the laws here are backwards and I think they should be changed to be like state X ..

Some one will enviably stand ask why it is that they now live here instead of state X
IMO out of state hunters have way to much influence now . . Tag costs are way to high for them . But they have to be high in order for the state to justify managing the herds for trophy animals over managing the herds for the well being of the herd .
In the main time the residents are left sucking pond water .
So when it comes to push and shove . What the residents want should always out weight what out of state�s want .
Statse fish and game departments work and answer to the citizens of that state not citizens from other states . .
If people don�t like that , they are more then welcome not to come IMO . Because we residents are the ones who will live with those decisions 12 months a year and year after year over just a week to few weeks now and then

LMAO another long post lol ok so i need to do something about that before i get told to stop writing books LOL
be safe

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd agree with TX that out of staters should have some input, just as state residents should have some input. Personally, I'd say state residents should have more input than out of staters, but that's beside the point because as long as we're talking about how things "should be," most of the decisions should be made by professional game managers and should be based on what's in the best interests of the resource, as far as maintaining healthy populations, and "should be" as free as possible from politics and commercial influences.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
agrreed smoke pole .
all i know is that i can remeber as a boy , our rivers full of salmon and stealhead . then canyon was once one of the best areas to hunt . one had just as good a chance to take a big buck or bull as you did a doe of forkie .
i remeber a time when during the rutt , we bugled bulls by blowing un shell casings or stims of grass .

not so today . i truely believ that the future holds even less . if changing that means we have to cut back . if it means that out of state money takes second seat . if it means some bloke doesnt get that comission on the sale of scopes or such . if it means that hunting has to get harder . then so be it .

myself i sure remeber times when this seemed alot better and the state spent less money .
to me , hunting has change . not only how i think of it but it seems how other hunters and people see it .
thing s anymore just seem to be more based on success and touphies, distances how big a gun someone shoots or how fast it shoots instead of the base quality of the hunt . dont know ?? sad really but i remeber things sooo much more diffrent then what they are today .
just about every managment sections says hunter numbers are dropping . but anymore it sure seems there is more and more folks out there , no mater what season one hunts in ?????
just remeberences i guess

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
" Would you pay Idaho or Colorado�s out of state fee�s if say they only aloud you to take a forked horn mule or a doe ???"

Well last year I hunted for a cow with a muzzleloader and this year will have the same tag, and loving every minute of it. And when I do have a bull tag, trophies are not very likely in Colorado. I certainly have never killed one.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we have some good ideas too and should not be excluded from the process:

For instance I have long lobbied anyone who would listen that they should increase the age that "youth" tags could be bought in Colorado. Maybe they listened to me, maybe some residents lobbied for the same thing. But they did raise the youth tags age and allowed more people to take their sons and daughters on a great Colorado hunt without breaking the bank.

And I fight for keeping the muzlleloader season primative. Sure I use an inline, but they are no more inherrantely accurate than my sidelock. I bet you can shoot rings around me and my inline with your sidelocks.

So I think we have ALL have some good ideas and willingness to preserve the resource that we all love. Just a blanket statement that we should be excluded and only people that live in the state should have input is just wrong in my book.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't worry too much about nonresidents changing much because we don't have the votes. Just give us some consideration in the process. Besides, TB is now a resident of Montana, and people will continue to say he shouldn't have any say in that state! I say, whoever you are make your case and see who listens.

Venor ergo sum
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
smile whistle

[Linked Image]
W
W
Been gone a few days, up in the Bob Marshall doing a little back country trout fishing, and doing some photography. Good to see this discussion going where it needs to go...and that is the differences in opinion when it comes to hunting muzzleloaders...hunting loads...and sights that should or should not be allowed.

Here are some things to keep in mind...

1. There are now between 3 1/2- to 4-million muzzleloading hunters in the U.S. today.

2. 90-plus-percent of ALL muzzleloaders sold today are of the in-line persuasion.

3. Polls have repeatedly shown that, where scopes are legal, 80-plus percent of muzzleloading hunters have one on their rifle.

4. Today, the largest age class of hunters are those who are 40 to 65 years of age (roughly 45 to 47 percent nationwide).

5. By age 50, approximately 70-percent of all Americans will suffer some age-related sight loss - mostly the inability of the eye to change focus rapidly enough to allow things at three different focal planes to appear "somewhat" in focus simultaneously. Or, when it comes to muzzleloader hunting, to allow a rear sight, front sight and a deer at 50 or 75 yards to appear in focus well enough for a precise placement of the shot to insure a clean, quick harvest.

Whether you agree, or not, with the use of riflescopes on muzzleloaders during the muzzleloader seasons, it is ILLEGAL for game departments to prohibit those who need a scope in order to participate in the muzzleloader seasons from using an optical sight. It's that simple.

The sky is not falling, and legalizing scopes will not cause game departments to eliminate the muzzleloader seasons. In all, 38 states now allow scopes on muzzleloaders during the muzzlelaoder seasons (in the 49 states that hold such hunts/seasons)...and not one of those states' game departments have recorded and/or documented that the use of scopes caused hunters to commonly take longer range shots. The typical shot with a muzzleloader, scoped or not, is still under 100 yards.

Rest assured, thanks to the more modern rifles and the added knockdown power of today's loads...with a scope...there are a lot more one-shot kills, and considerably fewer lost animals. Also, not one of the wildlife agencies in the 11 states which still enforce "no scopes" muzzleloader hunting regulations has ever conducted a wound loss survey to determine how much game is being lost, being wasted, due to the use of open sights and loads that cannot retain 800 foot pound of energy past 75 yards.

Toby Bridges

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

3. Polls have repeatedly shown that, where scopes are legal, 80-plus percent of muzzleloading hunters have one on their rifle.

So what? Polls have shown that the most popular television show is American Idol. I don't see what polls or popularity contests prove.

Rest assured, thanks to the more modern rifles and the added knockdown power of today's loads...with a scope...there are a lot more one-shot kills, and considerably fewer lost animals. Also, not one of the wildlife agencies in the 11 states which still enforce "no scopes" muzzleloader hunting regulations has ever conducted a wound loss survey to determine how much game is being lost, being wasted, due to the use of open sights and loads that cannot retain 800 foot pound of energy past 75 yards. Toby Bridges

You can't have it both ways. You want to say on the one hand that none of the 11 wildlife agencies have ever conducted a wound loss survey, but on the other hand, "Rest assured, thanks to the more modern rifles....there are a lot more one-shot kills." Rest assured?? Where's your wound loss survey to prove your point, the same one you think the state game agencies need to conduct?

5. By age 50, approximately 70-percent of all Americans will suffer some age-related sight loss - mostly the inability of the eye to change focus rapidly enough to allow things at three different focal planes to appear "somewhat" in focus simultaneously.

So, when hunters get too old to pull a bow back, should they be allowed to use crossbows? When they get too old to walk long distances on their own two feet, should they be allowed to ride motorbikes in the backcountry?

I don't think so.

And the whole argument about scoped rifles being more ethical ("more one-shot kills") is off kilter--it's up to the hunter to know his effective range and keep his shots within it. If that argument is valid and therefore all hunters should use the most effective weapon to hunt with, then bow hunting should be outlawed, especially traditional bows. Those things are really hard to shoot accurately.

One last point--anyone who wants to hunt with a muzzleloader equipped with scope, sabots, and smokeless powder in Colorado is free to do so. In the general firearms season. They just can't use those modern accoutrements during the early seasons when the animals are more vulnerable. I don't see what's unreasonable about that.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks to these forums, ive seen more photos of gut shot deer with a scoped muzzleloader than i've ever seen.

Colorado doesnt have a muzzleloading season for bighorn sheep. So that is not right in my eyes. They give one to archery and the scoped centerfire shooters. Why not muzzleloaders? Shouldnt that be illegal not offering us the chance to use our muzzleloaders.

W
W
The law is the law...and neither game departments nor closed minded hunters are above the law.

The legal technicality is what worked to get scopes recently legalized during the muzzleloader seasons in Georgia, Nebraska, Kansas and now Wisconsin. And they will soon be legal during a muzzleloader season near you.

Take it easy with the old folks remarks...we've got you young whippersnappers out numbered.

And for the record...I think there ought to be a muzzleloader bighorn hunt in Colorado as well. And if you want one bad enough...first you need to ask yourself..."What have I (meaning you) done to make it happen?"

If nothing, then you have no gripe.

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

W
W

So, when hunters get too old to pull a bow back, should they be allowed to use crossbows?

You Bet!

As for motorbikes in the backcountry...not as long as they are allowed to still ride horses (the first ATVs). What makes you so arrogant that you think hunting is just for younger folks?

Shame on you. Does your daddy know how you feel about him?

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What makes you so arrogant that you think hunting is just for younger folks?

Shame on you. Does your daddy know how you feel about him?

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

Ain't nothing arrogant about it. Whatever happened to aging gracefully, and doing things within your limitations?

Shame on me? No, shame on you for your thoughtless remarks. My daddy was a decorated WWII vet who passed away in 1976, and how I feel about him is really none of your business. Plus, who's a whippersnapper? I'm on the high side of 50, and as I said before, I have severe arthritis in one ankle, and a bum knee on the other side, and when I'm too old to walk into where I want to hunt, which won't be too many more years (and too old to pull a bow) I won't be asking for special privileges to make it easier on me.

You go ahead and play the age card. The younger generation ain't the only "me first" age group.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Muh daddy is 61 years young and i at the age of 14 introduced him to the sport of muzzleloading. My oldest brother also followed along in our footsteps. This year i'll be taking my brother in law on his first muzzleloader hunt up in northern new mexico.

Whippersnapper would be me as im 25 years young. I always see these old guys on tv telling people how they should introduce the young to the hunting world. Well guess what, sometimes its the young who introduce you older guys to something new.

My dads eyes arent the greatest but every time he sees a hunting show with a scoped inline, he turns up his nose.

Muzzleloading season has been the best thing we've ever done. My brother and dad used to centerfire hunt in the late 80's through the late 90's before i bought my first muzzleloader. After that, its been muzzleloading and filling our tags ever since.

Last edited by bigblock455; 08/04/09.
W
W
When it comes to muzzleloading...you apparently feel the sport belongs only to the younger crowd.

You must be a quitter...and you're ready to quit.

I'm 60...and spend every possible weekend in the summer and early fall hiking the back country. Just for a day of trout fishing, I'll put in a good 10 miles to hike back into a remote mountain lake...fish for 3-4 hours...and walk back out. And, I'll do the same when hunting season rolls around. My first hunt this year will be a September elk hunt in the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area...which starts with a 9-mile walk to camp...most of it uphill from 5,000 to 7,500 feet to cross the pass.

Physically, I do just about everything I did back when I was 30. But my eyes have gotten older, and glasses don't remedy the problem of focusing on multiple planes quickly. In order to hunt any hunt, I need the use of a scope...and so do most of the hunters in my age class...probably including you. Only real difference between you and I seems to be that I'm willing to admit to that disability.

Maybe you are ready to throw in the towel...but I am not...and neither are the majority of older muzzleloading hunters. If you want to quit...please do. Me, I will fight ridiculous muzzleloader regulations until every muzzleloading hunter in the U.S. can hunt with what it takes to be able to enjoy the muzzleloader seasons. And if it takes filing lawsuits against the b.s. muzzleloader hunting regulations still enforced by a few backward state wildlife agencies (like the CO Division of Wildlife)...so be it. I enjoy the battle...and the victories are so sweet.

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
While you're at it, fight for every state to legalize electronic ignition muzzleloaders.

Who's quitting?

I have horrible eye sight without my glasses. So bad in fact that i can not see a 3" black dot at 25 yards. Very very near sighted.

Rather than spending your time calling people online quitters and such, you should be out there fighting for scopes in all states.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Better yet, you have all the know how knowledge. You should be spending your time on here, telling people how to get in contact with the people who make our muzzleloading rules in our states and how we should go about expressing our feelings and concerns to the right persons.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, I dunno, a couple of us are on the high side of 50 and do ok with open sights. I need glasses beyond about 3 feet and the reading glass prescription gets a little stronger every year. I shoot open sight cartridge rifles at 100 yards for fun and wouldn't have a problem taking a deer at 200. For ML I use a wide aperture peep and fiber optic front sight and don't have trouble being minute-of-deer at 100 yards. Others of us use a plain notched rear sight. We try to get deer within 50 yards, that's part of the fun, like shooting over deeks rather than pass shooting. But we practice, you can't shoot scoped all year and expect to be any good with iron sights.

Scopes make it easy but aren't really necessary unless you're pretty bad off. Then a waiver seems reasonable. Again, modern ML gear is a matter of taste as far as I'm concerned and it's all fine with me so long as it doesn't screw it up for the rest of us. I do dislike federal interference in what has historically been a states' issue but it seems to be the way the country is going in all areas.

Which explains a lot.
W
W
BigBlock...

Put y'ur glasses back on...and you'll see the quitter remark was f'ur smokepole...he's the one who was crying about how decrepit and broken down he was, couldn't walk or pull a bow anymore, and was about ready to throw in the towel.

I am fighting for scopes in all states...along with the hunter's right of choice when it comes to muzzleloader hunting projectiles, primer ignition, enclosed ignition systems...and even though I don't like compressed pellet charges, I even fight for the right to use them for those who do like them. Heck, I hate the idea of an electronic ignition anything...but if it loads from the muzzle, it's a muzzle loader.

I also introduced my Dad to muzzleloading...when he was in his late 50s...back when I was 37 or 38, and working for Dixie Gun Works. No one is ever too old to learn something new...but they have to be given a chance to enjoy it. If one simply cannot see open sights (and the target) well enough simultaneously to use open sights, shooting and hunting with a muzzleloader is no fun...and only contributes to a high rate of wound loss.

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

I am fighting for scopes in all states...along with the hunter's right of choice when it comes to muzzleloader hunting projectiles, primer ignition, enclosed ignition systems...and even though I don't like compressed pellet charges, I even fight for the right to use them for those who do like them. Heck, I hate the idea of an electronic ignition anything...but if it loads from the muzzle, it's a muzzle loader.

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

Gotta ask, "why"?

Other than the fact that you reap some fairly significant financial rewards related to the use of said products.

Which, if that's the true answer, I'm fine with that. Just be honest about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Objection, relevance.

Who cares why, what difference does it make. It is what it is, regardless.

If that doesn't work, I'll try, "More prejudicial than probative."

Which explains a lot.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
No disagreement, counselor, but at last check, this court had a far lower bar of evidentiary standards, and the rules of procedure did not require 8 course hours worth of mind bending to attempt to comprehend.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just keepin ya honest, you're too good to need to throw dust in the air. wink

Fun though, isn't it?

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
BigBlock...Put y'ur glasses back on...and you'll see the quitter remark was f'ur smokepole...he's the one who was crying about how decrepit and broken down he was, couldn't walk or pull a bow anymore, and was about ready to throw in the towel.

You're such an [bleep]. And I mean that, sincerely.

I said nothing of the kind, as far as "throwing in the towel" or "crying about how decrepit" I am. What I said was (you can go back and read it again if you need to) it won't be too long before my arthritis prevents me from walking in to the places I like to hunt, and when that happens, I won't be asking for special privileges to compensate for my physical condition, special privileges like the ones you advocate.

Just to set the record straight, there ain't no throwing in the towel or crying going on here. Although it's a fact that I have severe osteoarthritis in my ankle (doctor's words) I can live with the pain, and I've learned to get around it. I've backpack hunted for elk (successfully, with a muzzleloader, no scope) the last five years, and the last two I cleaned and packed out the animal by myself, between three and four miles one way, on my back. I work hard to stay in shape year-round so I can do this. So know who you're talking to before you go spouting off at the mouth about throwing in the towel and crying.

So you backpack for trout fishing? Wow, you da' man. I'm taking my 18 year-old son to a lake above timberline this weekend, it's a rough hike off the trail and loaded with cutthroats up to 18". I guess that makes me special too.

If you look at it objectively, you're the one doing the crying about being old and decrepit (poor eyesight), and you're the one whining about needing special privileges to get around physical infirmities. What I said is, when I can't see the sights any more, I'll man up and accept my physical infirmities. I won't ask my state to change the rules just for me, I'll use a scope, because that's legal in my state, I'll just have to hunt a month later with the majority of other hunters in my state.

Come to think of it, what do you have to say about the fact that no one who needs to use a scope to hunt in Colorado is prevented from doing so? What's your response to that? I'll wait on that one a while, I'm sure.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Maybe you are ready to throw in the towel...but I am not...and neither are the majority of older muzzleloading hunters. If you want to quit...please do. Me, I will fight ridiculous muzzleloader regulations until every muzzleloading hunter in the U.S. can hunt with what it takes to be able to enjoy the muzzleloader seasons. And if it takes filing lawsuits against the b.s. muzzleloader hunting regulations still enforced by a few backward state wildlife agencies (like the CO Division of Wildlife)...so be it. I enjoy the battle...and the victories are so sweet.

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

I see the problem here. You are focused on the "rights" of older hunters such as yourself, and you're spending your time and energy filing lawsuits against our state game management agencies, the ones with limited budgets to manage our resources. Great job.

And you do this under the guise of "protecting" our sport when in reality, "older hunters" (although I love 'em) when you use them to fight your battles like this are just another special interest group.

I've got news for you, like it or not, regardless of the percentage of hunters in the "older" bracket, older hunters are hunting's past. If you really want to do something to advance or protect our sport, you should concentrate on its future, not its past, and do something to protect its future.

You want to tell me I'm throwing in the towel and you know not one thing about what I do to protect or advance our sport. Yet you want to beat your chest about filing lawsuits so that older guys can use scopes in the special early seasons, when they can already use 'em in the general firearms season. Yup, a regular Teddy Roosevelt you are.

The way I see it, the problems confronting our sport are not what kinds of equipment that older guys can use, so that's not where I focus my energy. The way I see it, the main problems we all need to work on are:

1) Low recruitment of young hunters, and
2) Loss of habitat and places to hunt.

So that's where I focus my efforts. I'm a volunteer for RMEF, and a lifetime member ($1,500 one-time contribution). I've volunteered my time and helped with fundraising banquets and habitat conservation projects. I'm also a member of Trout Unlimited. And I've volunteered with organizations that build and maintain trails in the backcountry. That's what I do for problem number 2.

For problem number 1, I have three sons and I take them and their friends hunting, fishing, and shooting every chance I get. My youngest has a ranching for wildlife cow tag this year so we're gonna get him his first elk, (hopefully). I also volunteer my time and teach the Hunter Education course that's required of all young hunters here in Colorado. Four nights each month throughout the summer. We have a surprising number of women in the classes too. I've just gotten started but I figure I've helped around 150 new hunters in Colorado get their cards.

That's where I put my time and efforts. File your lawsuits if that's what floats your boat; personally, I think it's like re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Or for all the good it does our sport, teats on a boar.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 Smokepole. Well said.

I've hunted since 1976 with hammers and inlines, 0X scopes, Variable power scopes, peeps, and buckhorn sights, #11's, 209's, powder and pellets, sabots, conicals, and RB. They all have their place.

Ethics is in the hunter, not a part of the equipment. Let the state's determine what's appropriate for their states.

As for getting old, I used to be able to shoot open sights pretty good, but since I had lazik surgery the sights aren't quite the same...Did I give up on open sights...No, I just cut back the range at which I'll take a shot. My enjoyment is the same.

Last edited by Don Gordon; 08/04/09.

Don

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Guy s. guys , now come on , lets step back here and take a breath . Doing so will make you all see your being baited . What you say will just end up taken out of context , printed on his blog or printed somewhere on the net to support tobys view .

I to believe that when a person get older and encounters medical issues , they should have an option .
BUT what toby here is about isn�t older folks with medicinal conditions its about letting all people use scopes and such . Again I have no problem with someone who is visually impaired using a scope .
This is why I support the waver system . if you need it , , show you need it and then use it . I also believe that if you do get such a waver , then that also should be recorded with the DMV.
As to ATV�s ?? LMAO I own one and personally I think they should be banned from the roads during hunting season . basicly people to often abuse the privilege � not all but a lot of folks do � .
As to the horse being the first ATV ahhhhh ok��.
but even horses are regulated today in that if your going to use the to hunt , you must be feeding them weed free hay ,.

2 years back the IFG poll showed that people were for reducing technologies in muzzleloading . In fact when the IFG polled resident hunters on the side lock issue . The majority of those who took the time said yes to the side lock rule as it was proposed and clearly states TRADITIONAL MUZZLOADER HUNTS .
The vote of those poled was 48% for the change and only 41% against it .
When residents were ask if the IDFG should restrict muzzleloader season to TRADITIONAL ONLY
The vote came in 48% in favor and 44% against
When it came to projectiles and the issue of keeping sabots out , the pull was again 46% yes and 41% no
Now you can check those numbers by requesting that information from IDFG under their 2006 poling and 2007 biological big game rules recommendations released on January 11 2006 by Brad Compton big game manager region 3 at the public meeting .

during that same time toby tried to push the scope issue as a form of discrimination concerning age and the disabled .
I even read where he suggested that states who did not alow scopes im muzzleloading should have federal funding pulled by the BoI . Well that didn�t pan out so well did it toby

Folks what it boils down to is what brings you to a state to hunt is basically because you like the way it is . Realize that , respect it . Or simply hunt in a state that allows you to use what ever you want .

But lets go past all that .
See what toby doesn�t tell you is that the more these rules are laxed , the less reason there is for even having the season . Because just like here . center fire hunters begin asking WHY are there special hunts to begin with . Why are they kept out . It only takes a few years an the rules get broken down to the point that like in some states there is no muzzleloading hunts , its BP hunts that encompass not only muzzleloading but cartridges as well .

Some of you may not know this but Toby wrote a lot of articles on traditional muzzleloading . Folks should go back and read those writings there is some real good information in there . though IMO he does seem to go out of his way trying to debunk much of it anymore

.as I said some of us have been around long enough to see the ides and flow of the tides .

Toby ?? 9 miles to climb 2500 feet LMAO my driveway climbs faster then that now who are you trying to fool that�s a gradual incline

don�t know how you were brought up but in my family , along with age came wisdom .
So as one gets older , they hunt different . I don�t climb the salmon river canyons like I used to .
I don�t hop the rocks crossing the rivers like I once did . I also don�t hunt the same areas I once did when I was 19 eather .
Why because I know that ill kill myself if I do .

Now im not saying I don�t go to those areas . But I know that while im there , if I cant see to shoot . Ethically , then its to far it saves me from doing something stupid .
What are those words to that Toby Keith song ??
My body says ohhhh nooo you cant , but my brain says ohh yess I can .

Ill hunt tell the day I die . In fact I hope and pray that my last breath is taken high up on some mountain., under some big pine .
But I will never reduce myself to the point that killing means so much to me that I have to have some telescope or magic bullet on or in my muzzleloader .
To me anyway hunting means more then that . The older I grow the more hunting means to me and the less killing maters
Now maybe that�s just me ???? I can accept that . But I sure seem to talk to a lot of folks in the field who feel the same way ..

als well said smoke pole . kinda makes one wonder why it is that with all the scopes and high volocity bullets , the general season has such a wound loss

Last edited by captchee; 08/04/09.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

don�t know how you were brought up but in my family , along with age came wisdom .
So as one gets older , they hunt different . I don�t climb the salmon river canyons like I used to .
I don�t hop the rocks crossing the rivers like I once did . I also don�t hunt the same areas I once did when I was 19 eather .
Why because I know that ill kill myself if I do .

Now im not saying I don�t go to those areas . But I know that while im there , if I cant see to shoot . Ethically , then its to far it saves me from doing something stupid .

Amen to that. What you left out is that the wisdom acquired with age (plus moving a little slower?) no doubt allows you to get close enough most years to fill the freezer, scope or no scope.

Age has its advantages.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Don Gordon
As for getting old, I used to be able to shoot open sights pretty good, but since I had lazik surgery the sights aren't quite the same...Did I give up on open sights...No, I just cut back the range at which I'll take a shot. My enjoyment is the same.

Thanks for the kind words Don. Have you tried a good set of fiber optics (are they allowed in NC?) They're legal out here and they made a big difference for me. The dots glow brightly enough that I believe they go a long ways toward eliminating the whole issue of having to see and line up rear sight, front sight, and the target. They just seem to naturally line up, at least for me.

W
W
There's a reason why scopes are legal in 38 states...hunters want them.

The Wisconsin DNR fought that fact for years, and this spring the sportsmen in that state attended meetings in all counties to vote on the subject and in nearly 85-percent of the counties voted to legalize scopes during muzzleloader season.

The majority of hunters want the same in Colorado, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Utah, California, and Alaska. The trouble is, traditional muzzleloader hunters have pumped so much b.s. information about hunters taking longer shots at game into the very muzzleloader illiterate wildlife agencies in these states that these so-called professionals believe it. They're not muzzleloader performance knowledgeable enough to know any different.

Perhaps ALL muzzleloading hunters need to be required to take an eye and shooting exam to qualify for using open sights...you know, kind of like required to get a drivers' license. And if their eyesight is found deficient for the proper use of open sights...they should be required to use a scope.

NO ONE WOULD WANT THAT!

But then, the majority of today's muzzlelaoding hunters in the states just listed are sick and tired of being required to use open sights that a large percentage cannot see well enough to use.

I can guarantee all of you, no matter what side of the fence you're on, this thing is going to get a heck of a lot more exciting than the next season of Survivor.

But, in the end, what's right (and legal) will prevail. And as in Nebraska and Kansas, where scopes were legal during muzzleloader season for the first time last year (2008), by the time the muzzleloader season comes to an end...no one will even remember this was an issue.

Smokepole...Captchee...when does the money begin to roll in? A few stuck in the muck hardheads like you keep claiming how rich I'm getting off all of this...but I sure heaven't seen any change in my bottom line.

The good thing is, for every muzzleloader owner I run into like you two...I hear from a dozen or more who are just darn happy that someone is fighting for their right to use the frontloader, load and sight of their choice. And, that is what keeps me going...and why you are fighting a losing battle.

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
So, in other words, you know better what ought to work in every state, than any state agency, state organization of hunters, the guys that wrote and rewrite the rules...................

And you do it all out of the goodness of your heart?

You get no endorsements from T/C? From Harvester Muzzleloading? From Leatherwood/Hi-Lux Optics? From Western Powders/Blackhorn 209? From Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Co.? You know, all those companies that are listed as having "brought to us" your site? No compensation from them, at all, huh?

Yeah, now, about that bridge TLEE has for sale again..............................

If you are doing this to further your own agenda and your own career and thus financial gain, then so be it. Just be truthful about it. And, so far, you're failing miserably on that, or at least it don't ring true worth a damn.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Oh, and BTW - there's a T/C System 1 SS/walnut carbine inline, 209 primed, and BH209 loaded, that'll go afield this year; wearing a 6x Nikon.

And, there's a musket capped T/C Renegade, .54, iron-sighted, that'll do likewise.

The flinter is in the works.

Use what works, use what you want, use what's legal, but at least be honest about what you're doing and why.

I ain't got a dog in the fight, but can see clearly that some do, and some don't, as well as who is and who ain't coming clean as to where their dogs lie.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
So are you trying to say that the 90% of those who use inline rifles are being held up by the tiny amount of people shooting traditional muzzleloaders? I highly doubt that tiny % of traditional shooters is keeping scopes off muzzleloaders.

Whats your take on states having antler Point restrictions on deer?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by bigblock455
So are you trying to say that the 90% of those who use inline rifles are being held up by the tiny amount of people shooting traditional muzzleloaders? I highly doubt that tiny % of traditional shooters is keeping scopes off muzzleloaders.

To whom is this posed?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Don Gordon

Thanks for the kind words Don. Have you tried a good set of fiber optics (are they allowed in NC?) They're legal out here and they made a big difference for me. The dots glow brightly enough that I believe they go a long ways toward eliminating the whole issue of having to see and line up rear sight, front sight, and the target. They just seem to naturally line up, at least for me.

I have FO on a Marlin and they work pretty good. I alternate between a Lyman Great Plains Percusssion .50 and a older T/C SS FireHawk Thumbhole inline with a 3x9 Nikon on top. The Lyman just wouldn't look right with a Fiber Optic sight and I pretty much limit myself to 50 yards with those patched RB anyway.

Don

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

To whom is this posed?

Its to Toby.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The majority of hunters want the same in Colorado, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Utah, California, and Alaska. The trouble is, traditional muzzleloader hunters have pumped so much b.s. information about hunters taking longer shots at game into the very muzzleloader illiterate wildlife agencies in these states that these so-called professionals believe it. They're not muzzleloader performance knowledgeable enough to know any different.

so lets see you stated a couple pages back that the reason i didnt like you was becouse im a traditionalist LMAO . and just who is injecting that thought again into this discussion . but ha keep right on going becouse IMO your showing folks here just why i hold you in such low regaurd . as i said in PM alittle above RW but not far above .
you know what my real oppenion is . YOU need the fight to continue between modern at traditional becouse with out that fight . your simply are just another dude on the block and have no real way to stay in the public eye .

again your statment above shows a complete lack of understanding of the states themselves and the the people of those states and just who does what .

do you realize how modern muzzleloading was accepted here in idaho ???
you didnt have a hand in that . you can think the traditional organzations for that . see you seem to forget traditionaist established the hunt to begin with and in 1991 potitioned the commission to accept modern rifles as a way to boost numbers and get more hunts . Now we have less oppratunity . the F&G told all of us that would be the case . but you didnt get it . so now we have what we have .
thank you Toby . im sure we all are better off .

do you know who got conicals aloud ?? again you can thank traditional organzations for that . in fact mentioning that you know how many modern groups i see at the commission meetings ?????? 0 ,, a few individuals .

do you know who is responcable for comiling information and potitioning for what hunts we have in this state ???? bet you dont .
maybe if folks would get organized and actualy do something with the department concerning getting hunts , we would have more . OHHH but im sorry those days are now gone . last year pretty much did an end to that .

They're not muzzleloader performance knowledgeable enough to know any different.

now i could be wrong but i believe that the current BG manager has 15 years of exsperiance with both weapons system.
i can also tell you that in the last 2 years there has been 4 courses given to the commission and members of the managemnet dept of this state . 2 specificly on modern muzzleloading and 2 on specificly traditional muzzleloading . but i bet you didnt knwo that eather .
now what i can tell you with all 100% certanty is that in the fall of 2006 when i was ask to adress the commission on muzzleloading for the spring of 2007 meetings , i gave each commissioner a 25 page packet on modern muzzleloading . i didnt state one word , you did . infact between you and RW you two gave them all the information needed . after all , who am i to insenuate such information or base of knowlage

i also included a short trip to your high proformance muzzleloading site .
the rather enjoyed the artical on the 300 yard bull and some of your write ups on projectiles .
i then had to laugh when the next meeting someone should up with that photo copy of a Rigby rifles and then proclaime it as proof of the long distance ability of traditional muzzleloading .
BUT someone forgot to tell them that the rifle they showed was also not legal in this state and never has been for hunting ,
ohh ya that was good

so as far as quality of information LMAO ohhh ya they got some of the best around .

Perhaps ALL muzzleloading hunters need to be required to take an eye and shooting exam to qualify for using open sights...you know, kind of like required to get a drivers' license. And if their eyesight is found deficient for the proper use of open sights...they should be required to use a scope.

WOW could you stretch that any further LMAO
again even at a fedrial level you fell short .
would you like to post that info our should i post it for you ?

But then, the majority of today's muzzlelaoding hunters in the states just listed are sick and tired of being required to use open sights that a large percentage cannot see well enough to use.

and just what qualifies you to make such a statment , lets see the numbers . you sure do use alot of words like most , all and majority . so far i havent seen anything to back it up
but again thats tipical , modern TB

you want me to post a copy of that Pole i mentioned above ? i can . ill have to scan it in but i should have time to do that tomarrow

I can guarantee all of you, no matter what side of the fence you're on, this thing is going to get a heck of a lot more exciting than the next season of Survivor.

of that there is no doubt . but as for here it doesnt mater . becouse the " I just want more time in the woods crowd " just shot themselves in the foot in a very large % of this state . the rest are draw only . so if you want to hunt muzzleloader , that week or so is your only time your going to get .and that small area is all your going to hunt .
next step is no season at all . but ha i guess you think you have more pull then the general centerfire hunters who are now asking WHY .
again , thank you Toby . YOU THE MAN!!!!!
im thinking BY BY muzzleloading seasons here in idaho maybe in the next 5 years but more like ten

Smokepole...Captchee...when does the money begin to roll in? A few stuck in the muck hardheads like you keep claiming how rich I'm getting off all of this...but I sure heaven't seen any change in my bottom line.

when ??? LMAO
now who are you playing again . not me .

in fact i dont have an issue with you making money of of muzzleloading . heck i make money of of muzzle loading .
but with you , it always seems like the product you support the most are the ones who pay you in someway .

as to the rest.
again
1) you stated idaho does not allow scopes and thus we discriminate "WRONG"
2) you now say that most hunters in Idaho want scopes for muzzleloading " based on poles " again "WRONG"
you throw words like MOST . A majority . Largest %.
By who�s polling do you get that OPPENION ?? By what state level information to you compile that information .
Please post the actual state documentation to support that please

The good thing is, for every muzzleloader owner I run into like you two...I hear from a dozen or more who are just darn happy that someone is fighting for their right to use the frontloader, load and sight of their choice. And, that is what keeps me going...and why you are fighting a losing battle.

oHH so now it you two is it . guess thats what i get for being civil to the likes of you .

yep i would agree its a lossing battle . but what you just dont get is that its muzzleloading in general . both traditional and modern .
tell me TB , where is Knight ? closed up . why ? where is white ?? closed up .

Savage??? . it would seems that their perant company seems to be thinking their muzzleloading section is a liability . but maybe you didnt read that memo . i posted it here on this board in a discussion about Knight . so how long will they hang on ???
TC?? sold out to S&W if that was good or bad , only time will tell .
CVA ????

tell me toby just how much does it now cost folks on this board to shoot ???
i remeber an artical that you wrote >> im thinking it was muzzleloader ?? 1979 ?? 80 there abouts where you recommended practice , practice practice .
tell me how much practice can these folks here do with projectiles that cost 20+ for a dozen ???
not to mention each time you recommend another powder , its higher in cost then the last

IMO the losing fight is muzzleloading in general and the cancer , well i think you know who IMO is the cancer of all that .

but ha ,again thats just me , so keep on talking

ill just keep working away at my year and a half back log of rifles .
smile , shake my head and say , ; what ever you think toby , you the man . right there boy , yep your a # 1 class A act wink

soooo anyway , im pretty much done here . i have had my say .
but i do have one question for you , while your here that i would like you to answer for me . its bugged me for some time .

on that savage that blew up on you .
why was it that you did not change out the breechplug when you notice the gas cutting to its face and forward shoulder ??????.
not pointing any fingers here or bliam .
i would just like to know

Last edited by captchee; 08/04/09.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

The majority of hunters want the same in Colorado, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Utah, California, and Alaska.......

But then, the majority of today's muzzlelaoding hunters in the states just listed are sick and tired of being required to use open sights that a large percentage cannot see well enough to use....

First question is, how do you know what the majority of hunters in all these states want? Do you have any polling data to support your claims? If, so, let's see your data, or at least a reference where we can look it up.

If not, you should quit claiming to know what the majority want.

If you do have these data, my answer is still "so what." Opinion polls don't tell you what's best for the sport, or for the country for that matter. I suppose you believe that since Barack Obama won the election, he's by definition the right choice, the best man for the job?

How do you respond to that? I guess I'll wait another good while for your repsonse, you still haven't responded to my earlier question; I'll post it again so you don't miss it this time:

Come to think of it, what do you have to say about the fact that no one who needs to use a scope to hunt in Colorado is prevented from doing so? What's your response to that? I'll wait on that one a while, I'm sure.

Anyway, opinion polls mean nothing in terms of what's best for the state, the resource, and hunters; if you polled hunters in Colorado and asked them whether they thought they should be able to easily draw a bull tag in GMU 201, the overwhelming majority would say "yes." And if they got their way, unit 201 would go down the tubes as a trophy unit.

Very apt analogy since "Survivor" is mindless claptrap, yet wildly popular--to use your own reasoning, "it's what people want, so it must be the right answer."

Let's see, you're on a self-described crusade to fight for a "right" (look up the definition of the word, use of telescopic sights during the early ML seasons doesn't quite make the cut like free speech and assembly), and it's a "right" that people already have, as far as using scopes on muzzleloaders in Colorado. And we're the "hardheads?"

Also, I never claimed you were getting rich off this--maybe you're just not that good at what you do?

Anyway, I'm going to Canada for a few days and then fishing with my son this weekend. I'll catch up with you guys later.

W
W
Are you so stuck in your own little world that you are out of touch with others? Or is it that you just listen to your own thoughts...and never to anyone elses?

I have done hundreds of muzzleloader seminars around the country, and share as much as I can about muzzleloader hunting and muzzleloader performance. And at each of those seminars, I always take a few minutes to poll the 200 to 400 people attending (sometimes 4 seminars a weekend). And when the issue of scopes on muzzleloaders come up...70 to 80 percent of the hunters attending are in favor of scopes during the muzzleloader seasons.

In Wisconsin, polls conducted by the DNR have even shown that between 70 and 80 percent wanted scopes during the muzzleloader season - mostly because these hunters need a scope. Now, finally, those hunters are going to have that right.

Next door in Minnesota, at meetings conducted by the DNR, between 70 and 80 percent of muzzleloading hunters have voiced their need & want of a scope during the muzzleloader season. Unfortunately, that DNR still has its head stuck up some dark hole, and continues to deny them that right. But with things changing next door in Wisconsin...things will also change in Minnesota. (Partially thanks to a little legal intervention.)

Smokepole & Captchee, you two might live in Colorado...but I would venture to say that I hear from more Colorado muzzleloading hunters than either of you...and there is a modern uprising coming your way. More people hunt the Colorado muzzleloader seasons with a modern in-line than with a rifle of traditional design - and they're getting tired of regulations that keep their sport in the dark ages.

In 2008, I received slightly more than 15,000 muzzleloader related e-mails - and responded to every one. The number one topic/issue...scoping a muzzleloader. And for every e-mail I received squalling about how the muzzleloader seasons should remain traditional, and how scopes should never be allowed...I received a dozen or more that thought otherwise.

So hang in there boys, change is coming your way. Your side worked awfully hard to eliminate in-line rifles...and failed. Your side continues to fight better performing saboted bullets and scopes...and that too will see change as the 90-percent modern side of our sport continues to swing more and more in that direction.

I know, you claim to be both modern and traditional...but your attitudes say otherwise. Me thinks you talk out of both sides of your mouths.

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

LMOA , you dont listen or read do you . So now I live in Colorado smirk
Are you sure its no Alabama ?:/

i dont claim to be both . i calim to be traditional .

With you its always about more for you . You never listen . As soon as somebody give concessions or reaches a compromise , you push for the next . It never ceases and many times that push is seen in the very next years proposals
First it was a need for conical over RB, synthetic over Black powder . gottat have em . So people reach a compromise. Then the next year you push for something more . Now its sabots and scopes , and smokeless .
Then what ? Whats left toby ??/ you just don�t seem to realize there is nothing left but the total removal of the established seasons . Myself , I cant say at this point that I don�t or wouldn�t support such a move .
What will you do then ??? Fight the center fire crowd to keep them out ?
See right now , here in Idaho ,,,,I think we have a reasonable compromise. Modern rifles are aloud under restriction . No better then traditional rifles and no worse . Sure some traditionalists arnt happy but neither are many modern folks . But it is a middle ground that many folks agree upon .
I guarantee you that with the current regulations we have , disallowing scopes , sabots , 209 primer and smokeless powder , there is not a modern rifle on the market that will out shoot a traditional one . Be that in accuracy or range
But then people like you have to come in , from out of state and stir the pot to the point , no one can get along . Why ? So that companies that suport you can get a large market ??? Sure seems that way .

Never mind that all you want or could want , is aloud for the largest % of hunts in this state , yet your not happy with that , you have to push to get those same things accepted in what little muzzleloading hunts there are here . When you don�t get it , you point fingers , and shout blame and proclaim a fight .
Why ?
again , Im thinking you have to have keep up this fight even when there is no base for it .
an enemy is needed because without it there is no base for you . Case in point this very thread which was started about your blog and you . Yet you have once again managed to twist it away from you and into a modern vs. traditional argument.
To bad because you have a chance here to change peoples views . Instead you have chose just to enforce those opinions

Last edited by captchee; 08/05/09.

[Linked Image]
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Toby;

You never have addressed the sponsorship and compensation question. Why not come clean and say "yeah, I push for this because it's in my financial interest to do so"? Making money ain't a bad thing, you know.

BTW - use of a scope during any season isn't a "right" (look up the legal definition of such); it's a privilege, and calling it anything else is foolish.

W
W
One really...Really...REALLY big difference between you and I Captchee seems to be that you work hard to prevent any new growth in muzzleloader hunting...while I work in the other direction.

New participation is what spurs new growth in opportunities.

But, I have a feeling that you and smokepole work diligently to prevent new participation simply to keep the odds of being drawn for a Colorado muzzleloader tag a bit more in your favor.

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Likewise, your argue that the hunters "need" the scopes, is hollow. If they are that poor with irons, they need more practice, not optics.

Further, your "poll" numbers are unconvincing, as they are biased, unsubstantiated, and unsupported. Data from a scientifically valid poll would be welcomed, though, if you can provide such.

W
W
What the heck do you mean..."come clean"?

What do you do for a living...and do you do it for nothing? I seriously doubt it.

I've worked in the "industry" for 35 years...because I love it. Probably could have made a hell of a lot more money doing something else (did for a while)...but muzzleloading guns and muzzleloader hunting are what are closest to my heart.

If you hate what you do for a living...I'm sorry. I love what I do...even if the pay honestly sucks.

Toby Bridges

As for you other comment about hunters need "more practice"...I don't disagree. But one cannot use what they cannot see.

NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

Last edited by Wolfkill; 08/05/09.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
One really...Really...REALLY big difference between you and I Captchee seems to be that you work hard to prevent any new growth in muzzleloader hunting...while I work in the other direction.

New participation is what spurs new growth in opportunities.

But, I have a feeling that you and smokepole work diligently to prevent new participation simply to keep the odds of being drawn for a Colorado muzzleloader tag a bit more in your favor.

you just cant get over it can you .
your so sure you know all and it has to be what you say . well again you are wrong .

Once again , you need a fight , you have to have it . it�s a simple must

[Linked Image]
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The ones who "can't see" irons are damned few and far between. You know that to be a red herring, as does anyone else.

I'm a financial adviser. I very much like what I do, and make a good living doing it. You represent various manufacturers within the muzzleloading firearms industry, correct? Specifically those that have a vested interest in the utilization and expanded utilization of in-line and "modern" muzzleloaders, correct?

Nothing wrong with that, but you are avoiding a straight answer to those questions like the plague, and I can't figure out why.

If my guesses are correct, then it goes to a logical conclusion that while you may truly hold muzzleloading near and dear to your heart (and that I don't doubt at all), your tack and objectives are not wholly altruistic; you will benefit if your objectives are met in a financial manner. That doesn't undermine your position, but it does color it, and thus any evidence you present would be far more useful and well received if it were unbiased. To date, that hasn't been the case.

Look, I just hunt, and I enjoy it. I use everthing from a SS, synthetic stocked, customized, scope (with tactical turrets) mounted centerfire to a cedar-shaft, feather-fletched arrow flung by an instictively aimed recurve, and just about everything in between. If scoped in-lines are cool; I use 'm. The same can be said if it's irons only, PRBs, and soon-to-be flints only. The variety can make it fun, as can the challenge.

I hope you are aware that Louisiana now permits scoped, single-shot, breechloading rifles of "antique design and caliber" during their BP season (NEF Handi-rifles in .45-70 are now the norm), and that NC may well abolish any "special seasons", opening deer season all at once and to all weapons for the entire season. The rationales were the same in both states, and two-fold: the first to increase participation and decrease deer populations, and the second was in response to the increased modernization of BP firearms. On the second point, both states found it to be so near a modern rifle in current utilization and form that any distinction from season-to-season was rendered irrelevant. I mention this as a "be careful what you wish for" caveat to your efforts; you may just outsmart yourself.

You are right, however, that it is increased participation that we truly need. That should be our unified goal. Outside of that, I'm all for keeping a little variety, and keeping the factional in-fighting to a civil minimum.

Last edited by VAnimrod; 08/05/09. Reason: corrected the NC assertion

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
and this year, NC has abolished any "special seasons", opening deer season all at once and to all weapons for the entire season.

You sure about this? I heard that it failed to come to vote.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Yeah NC still has designated seasons. This is from the 2009 - 2010 regs.

EASTERN DEER SEASON
Bow and arrow: Sept. 12 to Oct. 9
Muzzleloader: Oct. 10 to Oct. 16
Gun: Oct. 17 to Jan. 1
CENTRAL DEER SEASON
Bow and arrow: Sept. 12 to Nov. 6
Muzzleloader: Nov. 7 to Nov. 13
Gun: Nov. 14 to Jan. 1
NORTHWESTERN DEER SEASON
Bow and arrow: Sept. 12 to Nov. 13
Muzzleloader: Nov. 14 to Nov. 20
Gun: Nov. 21 to Dec. 19
WESTERN DEER SEASON
Bow and arrow: Sept. 7 to Oct. 3 and Oct. 12 to Nov. 21
Muzzleloader: Oct. 5 to Oct. 10
Gun: Nov. 23 to Dec. 12

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My dad is 71 and still hunts with a sidelock with irons. He hates inlines. There are plenty of older hunters that can use irons or peeps.

W
W
Ya better take that one to an optometrist...I'm sure you'll learn different.

Older eyes for 70 or more percent of those over age 50 don't work the same as they did at 30 to 40.

That's a fact.

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Nice dodge on everything else posted.

No one ever said that the eyes remained the same, only that your assertion that the "majority" you keep mentioning that "couldn't see irons" was bunk. You know that, and your defense of your position is weak.

Ad hominem retorts won't win your position. If you truly cannot support your position and defend your assertions any better than what you're showing, perhaps your position isn't as strong as you'd like to have folks believe, and maybe that financial incentive is stronger than you'd want to admit.

I hope I'm wrong on that last paragraph, as you do represent hunting and muzzleloading to a wide audience, but thus far, you're really not giving us much to grab on to.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Crowrifle;

I stand corrected. It will come to a vote in the next session, though, and as I knew last year, there are enough votes to pass it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ive pretty much hunted game units from trinidad, all the way up to steamboat springs area and south of it around Vail. You know how many muzzleloader hunters ive ran into that bitched about having to use open sights?

None.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dad wears glasses now. A set of Lyman sights and he hits where he shoots, targets or deer. How do argue someone can't see when they hit the targets on the range and bring a dead deer in?

Originally these special seasons were set for primitive weapons because of the difficulty of their use and difference to modern firearms. The line doesn't exist today.

W
W
Stop being so lazy...do some research and you'll see the truth. Or, are you afraid of the truth?

There's a reason why the Department of the Interior accepted the complaint filed against 15 state game departments for refusing to allow muzzleloading hunters to use scopes on muzzleloaders during muzzleloader season - and that was because it violateS the rights of those who need such sights to be able to participate in these seasons.

And whether or not you know it, the DOI demanded that each of those states make provisions for those who do. Smart state wildlife agencies, like Georgia, Nebraska, Kansas and Wisconsin were forced to realize that such a large percentage of those over 40 do indeed need to use a scope for proper shot placement. That now brings the number of states meeting the needs of ALL muzzleloading hunters to 38 (39 counting Montana which lumps muzzleloading with archery and handguns for limited range Restricted Weapons hunts)...and just 11 who do not.

I'd say getting four states to reverse their "no scopes" muzzleloader regs in two years is a pretty good track record. What have you done to make the sport of muzzleloading more appealing to more hunters?

If you want more to grab onto...get off your lazy butt and start doing your research.

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Look up "rights", Toby. Use of a scope, ain't a "right". And, as a trained attorney, I do have a fairly good grasp of what that word means in a legal sense.

Now, how about addressing the other points that you have consistently avoided.

And, as for "getting off your lazy butt", how about taking your own advice and finding some actually verifiable data from scientifically valid polls to back up your assertions? Or, are you too afraid to do so?

I'll reiterate the salient points, since you obviously have a problem with comprehension:

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Toby;

Feel free to address the totality of the points made, and try not to cherry pick the parts that you can't support.

The ones who "can't see" irons are damned few and far between. You know that to be a red herring, as does anyone else.

I'm a financial adviser. I very much like what I do, and make a good living doing it. You represent various manufacturers within the muzzleloading firearms industry, correct? Specifically those that have a vested interest in the utilization and expanded utilization of in-line and "modern" muzzleloaders, correct?

Nothing wrong with that, but you are avoiding a straight answer to those questions like the plague, and I can't figure out why.

If my guesses are correct, then it goes to a logical conclusion that while you may truly hold muzzleloading near and dear to your heart (and that I don't doubt at all), your tack and objectives are not wholly altruistic; you will benefit if your objectives are met in a financial manner. That doesn't undermine your position, but it does color it, and thus any evidence you present would be far more useful and well received if it were unbiased. To date, that hasn't been the case.

Look, I just hunt, and I enjoy it. I use everthing from a SS, synthetic stocked, customized, scope (with tactical turrets) mounted centerfire to a cedar-shaft, feather-fletched arrow flung by an instictively aimed recurve, and just about everything in between. If scoped in-lines are cool; I use 'm. The same can be said if it's irons only, PRBs, and soon-to-be flints only. The variety can make it fun, as can the challenge.

I hope you are aware that Louisiana now permits scoped, single-shot, breechloading rifles of "antique design and caliber" during their BP season (NEF Handi-rifles in .45-70 are now the norm), and that NC may well abolish any "special seasons", opening deer season all at once and to all weapons for the entire season. The rationales were the same in both states, and two-fold: the first to increase participation and decrease deer populations, and the second was in response to the increased modernization of BP firearms. On the second point, both states found it to be so near a modern rifle in current utilization and form that any distinction from season-to-season was rendered irrelevant. I mention this as a "be careful what you wish for" caveat to your efforts; you may just outsmart yourself.

You are right, however, that it is increased participation that we truly need. That should be our unified goal. Outside of that, I'm all for keeping a little variety, and keeping the factional in-fighting to a civil minimum.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Likewise, your argue that the hunters "need" the scopes, is hollow. If they are that poor with irons, they need more practice, not optics.

Further, your "poll" numbers are unconvincing, as they are biased, unsubstantiated, and unsupported. Data from a scientifically valid poll would be welcomed, though, if you can provide such.

Care to find something to support your opinion on "hunters can't see the iron sights", that will actually carry some weight, Toby?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Nice dodge on everything else posted.

No one ever said that the eyes remained the same, only that your assertion that the "majority" you keep mentioning that "couldn't see irons" was bunk. You know that, and your defense of your position is weak.

Ad hominem retorts won't win your position. If you truly cannot support your position and defend your assertions any better than what you're showing, perhaps your position isn't as strong as you'd like to have folks believe, and maybe that financial incentive is stronger than you'd want to admit.

I hope I'm wrong on that last paragraph, as you do represent hunting and muzzleloading to a wide audience, but thus far, you're really not giving us much to grab on to.

Have at this one, too, Toby.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It will come to a vote in the next session, though, and as I knew last year, there are enough votes to pass it.

Yeah I heard the same. Hope they push it through this year. I'm getting tired of my muzzle loader, and want to carry my Ruger 45.70 during the rut.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
BTW - Mr. Bridges, if this is how you represent the sport and your agenda to other hunters, God help us if it's anywhere close to this when you're in front of Dept. of Fish & Game officials and the general public.

I understand (though you won't admit it) that you have a financial stake in your positions and your agenda, and that's fine, but you may want to find ways to assert your position and agenda with verifiable facts (i.e. not what you "think", but what can be proved without bias), and without being a jackazz in the attempt.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by crowrifle
It will come to a vote in the next session, though, and as I knew last year, there are enough votes to pass it.

Yeah I heard the same. Hope they push it through this year. I'm getting tired of my muzzle loader, and want to carry my Ruger 45.70 during the rut.

Thank you, for supporting a whole lot of my points, RIGHT there.

W
W
VAnimrod...it's folks like you who do their best to keep participation in muzzleloading from growing.

Again, what have you done to promote and improve muzzleloader hunting opportunities?

Fortunately, there are lots of great folk out there who see through your rude, crude, obnoxious and arrogant crap. Like I said earlier, get off your lazy rearend and do some research...you might even start by checking with the professional optometry organizations...and confer with an optimetirst about how the aging eye works (or no longer works with speed and precision)...or you might even contact those in the optics industry.

If you're going to fight something, go fight to keep the muzzleloader seasons muzzleloader seasons. Several states have already opened what was a muzzleloader season to become a "Primitive Arms Season"...which no longer means "Traditional Muzzleloading"...but rather to include black powder cartridge rifles and muzzleloaders.

But, I guess you would rather bitch and moan about it rather than actually get out and do something...like lobbying. I can tell that's far more work than you're willing to give anything.

Hey, what do you do for a living? Do you do it for free?

Thought not. But it must not be anything that entails any kind of real work, requiring any real effort.

I take it from your user name "VAnimrod" that you are an amatuer from Virginia. If so, check with Bob Duncan (your wildlife agency's director) at the Virginia Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries...and inquire about who came back to Virginia in the early 1990s to help get the muzzleloader season there on track...to get in-line rifles legalized, saboted bullets legalized, and scopes legalized.

I can tell you one thing...it sure wasn't some lame whiner by the name of "VAnimrod".

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

Last edited by Wolfkill; 08/05/09.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Stop being lazy huh?

Okay,
All of you lazy guys shooting todays modern, easy cleaning inline rifle shooting that powder that allows you to shoot 30-50 shots without ever swabbing, dont have to worry about cleaning at the end of the day, need to stop using them because you're lazy. grin

Also, you need to take your scope off and learn how to stalk your game rather than taking easy 200-250 yard scoped inline shots at game in the field. Stop being Lazy and learn to stalk closer.

Thats how i took the "lazy" response from you Toby whistle

W
W
Pretty lame BigBib.

Is that all you got?

I guess you consider yourself the Nannybumpo of the Colorado mountains.

I'll bet my tradtional muzzleloaders will out shoot your traditional muzzleloaders. I hve several of them that are fully capable of taking game at 200 - 250 yards...and everything about them is 1840-1860 period correct.

Toby Bridges

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well my most accurate traditional rifle right now is an el cheapo cva plainsman flinter. Along with a traditions kentucky flintlock.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Until I see data to indicate otherwise, I will believe that allowing pellets, sabots, and scopes will result in a DECREASE in the number of tags issued for most western states.

Suppostition: No facts to back this up, but I will bet you the farm that allowing these additions to the Colorado Muzzleloader season will result in an INCREASE hunter success. That means more elk hit the ground and are not around for the later seasons.

Supposition: If that happens, they will REDUCE the number of muzzleloading tags issued. Again, I will bet you the farm on this one too.

Wouldn't that mean by allowing scopes, etc. you would be DECREASING muzzleloader opportunity and reducing the number of hunters.

So, if this actually comes to pass, you may increase the chance of success for those getting the tags, but fewer people will have that chance.

Venor ergo sum
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

If you're going to fight something, go fight to keep the muzzleloader seasons muzzleloader seasons. Several states have already opened what was a muzzleloader season to become a "Primitive Arms Season"...which no longer means "Traditional Muzzleloading"...but rather to include black powder cartridge rifles and muzzleloaders.

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

Well...just how the hell do you think that happened???? Twernt too long ago you were pushing smokeless front stuffers (duplexed loads and all...)approximating 2400-2600fps at the muzzle with variable powered scopes, seems to me you started down the slippery slope and now you bitch about black powder metallic cartridge guns??? What maybe 1400-1800fps at the muzzle? Huh???? Your logic is convoluted and flawed.
Please stay outta OR with any future "lobbying" (ADA suits,etc. ad naseuam).

[Linked Image]

Charlie

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
VAnimrod...it's folks like you who do their best to keep participation in muzzleloading from growing.

Again, what have you done to promote and improve muzzleloader hunting opportunities?

Fortunately, there are lots of great folk out there who see through your rude, crude, obnoxious and arrogant crap. Like I said earlier, get off your lazy rearend and do some research...you might even start by checking with the professional optometry organizations...and confer with an optimetirst about how the aging eye works (or no longer works with speed and precision)...or you might even contact those in the optics industry.

But, I guess you would rather bitch and moan about it rather than actually get out and do something...like lobbying. I can tell that's far more work than you're willing to give anything.

Hey, what do you do for a living? Do you do it for free?

Thought not. But it must not be anything that entails any kind of real work, requiring any real effort.

I take it from your user name "VAnimrod" that you are an amatuer from Virginia. If so, check with Bob Duncan (your wildlife agency's director) at the Virginia Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries...and inquire about who came back to Virginia in the early 1990s to help get the muzzleloader season there on track...to get in-line rifles legalized, saboted bullets legalized, and scopes legalized.

I can tell you one thing...it sure wasn't some lame whiner by the name of "VAnimrod".

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

Let's see........ what've I done...............

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........................

4-H camp rifle and muzzleloading instructor and assistant instructor for 6 years. Done yeoman's work on hunter's safety courses for over 10. Volunteered to take several friend's kids hunting............ taught at least two dozen friends and friends of friends to shoot................

Yada, yada, yada.

I gotta ask: why do you go on the attack when all you're asked is to provide some support for your position? I've listed my positions, and asked that you do the same. You can't/won't. Why?

And, actually, VAnimrod = "hunter from VA", if you go with the classical/Biblical sense. Go figure that'd escape you. Then again, as hunter's, we're all amateurs at this stage. Go figure you're gonna consider that an insult.

As someone who alleges to "speak for us", as you do, I would hope you have better manners than you do when you "speak to us".

BTW - I know Mr. Duncan. He's done some serious work with the areas I hunt, and I respect him greatly. I suspect his attitude toward many things, as usual, will be respectable, measured, and professional. Something I suspect you might be able to take lessons on, given your performance here. As for "getting it on track", it was on track prior to the early 1990s, what needed to catch up was the deer herd, and some serious QDM work did that. I know; I was involved in that. BT/DT. Yes, the ML rules relaxed, but that had FAR more to do with the deer population than anything else. BT/DT, too.

And, Toby, you still haven't addressed any points as presented before. Especially your aversion to a simple admission that you are a paid representative for said companies; and there's no shame in that, save that such as you bring to yourself by refusing to at least admit to what you do for a living.

I can't figure your response, given your position, your agenda, and your profession. Perhaps you can explain that well, though, given your history here, I am tending to doubt that.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Stop being so lazy...do some research and you'll see the truth. Or, are you afraid of the truth?

There's a reason why the Department of the Interior accepted the complaint filed against 15 state game departments for refusing to allow muzzleloading hunters to use scopes on muzzleloaders during muzzleloader season - and that was because it violateS the rights of those who need such sights to be able to participate in these seasons.

And whether or not you know it, the DOI demanded that each of those states make provisions for those who do. Smart state wildlife agencies, like Georgia, Nebraska, Kansas and Wisconsin were forced to realize that such a large percentage of those over 40 do indeed need to use a scope for proper shot placement. That now brings the number of states meeting the needs of ALL muzzleloading hunters to 38 (39 counting Montana which lumps muzzleloading with archery and handguns for limited range Restricted Weapons hunts)...and just 11 who do not.

I'd say getting four states to reverse their "no scopes" muzzleloader regs in two years is a pretty good track record. What have you done to make the sport of muzzleloading more appealing to more hunters?

If you want more to grab onto...get off your lazy butt and start doing your research.

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

so i read this and i had to do some checking so i placed a call to our region commissioner .
he wasn�t home so i left a message asking if the commission had any contact with the BoI concerning the scope issue and toby 's complaint from 2006 .
He just got back to me . With a yes .
So I ask what this contact meant, could the BoI force this issue .
The reply was well they could but wont .
See any complaint has to be followed up on . In this case the complaint was addressed .
It was felt that while the state had gave wavers to to disabled hunters , it wasn�t formally know . So the state adress that issue by formally addressing it .
What was ask by the BoI was if the state had provisions for disabled hunters .
Which the state now has as part of its disability laws .
This however does not mean that a person can simply claim to be disabled and then take it upon themselves to change the rules .
He also reminded me that the game commission is not a law making body . It only has the ability to make law for 1 year . At which time that law has to be approved by congress . If its not approved then the law is not carried into accepted law .
The Idaho congress has set disability laws and any short comings in those laws are handed down through congress to the game commission for implementation.
As such no previsions have been set for allowing scopes in muzzleloading , to anyone other then those who are legally classified as disabled under Idaho law .

This is a copy of the report concerning this

Accommodations for Disabled Hunters
Dale Toweill, Wildlife Program Coordinator, provided an informational report on a civil rights complaint against the Department. Mr. Toweill stated that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service investigated a civil rights complaint filed by Mr. Toby Bridges (North American Muzzleloader Hunting Association) against Idaho and a number of other states. The basis of the complaint was that Idaho and other states �discriminates against hunters on the basis of disability and age by restricting the use of telescopic scopes for muzzleloader hunting.� The Department responded that older hunters and hunters with visual disabilities can use telescopic sights in any weapon hunts which are available throughout the state and constitute the majority of the big game hunting opportunity in Idaho. Muzzleloader hunts are a unique hunting opportunity based in part on the low technology and lower effectiveness of the weapon, and hunters must choose to participate in the limited muzzleloader hunts. The USFWS found that �if persons with visual disabilities were denied opportunities for reasonable modifications in the special muzzleloader season, they would not only be placed at a competitive disadvantage, but would be screened out of the main muzzleloader activity, and effectively segregated in a different activity (which is prohibited under Department of the Interior regulations).� Therefore, the USFWS has requested Idaho and the other states to provide �a written description of the process for persons with disabilities to receive special permits based on the documented need for reasonable modification during muzzleloader hunting seasons.�
Idaho has a number of permits and licenses to address various disabilities. However, none of the existing permits or licenses addresses this issue. The Department has drafted a proposed rule to create a process to allow reasonable modifications for special weapon hunting seasons.
Rule 13.01.08.410 expressly prohibits sighting devices that magnify the target image for all Archery-only, Traditional Archery-only, and Muzzleloader-only seasons.
This issue is presented to the Commission in an effort to resolve a compliance issue identified by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service relative to a Disability and Age Discrimination Complaint by Mr. Tony Bridges of the North American Muzzleloader Hunting Association.

Therefore, the USFWS has requested Idaho and the other states to provide �a written description of the process for persons with disabilities to receive special permits based on the documented need for reasonable modification during muzzleloader hunting seasons.�

now toby wants you all to believe that ist a simple mater of if the BoI says its so , then it is so . that�s not the case . the BOI can sue for none compliance but a court decides the issue if the state sues back which it will .
Also know that there is a difference between documented disability and preserved disability
Notice that the USFWS sated documented,,,,,,, and ,,,,,,special permits. .
So in there is the rub . TB here would have you think that documented means a documented average . Not an actual documented disability found to an individual person thus defining them as disabled and thus qualified for said special permits.

now again if you want me to back this up , i can provide any who asks a derect link to the record of this report which is part of the public freedom of information act thus avalable through the idaho fish and game . i will geroooonteeee 100% that what i just qouted above is a cut and past of that report .
but if you insist i will gladly post the link .

So once again he gives you a half truth and only what he thinks supports his oppenion .

As to the rest of his post . LMAO I guess he himself has never set in a commission meeting and listened to public comment . If he had he would realize that the room is not full of traditionalists . In fact its full of all hunters and fisherman . As such normally you have center fire and archery folks commenting on muzzleloading . You also have muzzleloading folks commenting on archery and center fire seasons . Everyone comments and everyone has concerns . There simply is no way that ANY traditional organization alone can sway the complete room .
Nthen you add in the box of comments and letters on any given subject .
So just like on this forum , you have folks from all disciplines commenting . Just because you might enjoy modern muzzleloading doesn�t mean you support all that toby here wants modern muzzleloading to be . The same is also true for those who claim to be traditionalists .
Just as with modern muzzleloading , there is many different levels and degrees of traditional muzzleloading . To assume that they all agree with each other is not only IMO fool hart but it shows a very big lack of understanding of both groups .
While we are talking about muzzleloading here . Remember those very same degrees follow in all the hunting disciplines

Last edited by captchee; 08/05/09.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Lets see what have I done to further muzzleloading in this state ?? Well off the top of my head

In the mid 1970 I petitioned the commission for hunts not just in north Idaho but thought southern Idaho and took part in the very first muzzleloading test hunt done in this state .
In the late 1980 I was among a small group of sportsman who researched the conical vs. Rb issue in this state and a couple years later amount the same group who petitioned for acceptance of modern inline ignitions
I take part in hunters ED here in Idaho and in fact tech the muzzleloading section for man instructors here in south western Idaho .
I also take part in the public lecture system and have instructed employees of businesses like Sportsman�s warehouse , cabalas as well I as the Idaho fish and game .
We also put on specific muzzleloading mentor hunts through our tribal Collisions .
I also regularly support , participate and put on many many shoots state wide ranging from traditional only , to open class , to BP cartridge both rifle and clay and just recently I have become involved in trying to bring back long distance muzzleloading shooting in the state
I am a member , director and one of the founders at a national level of the Traditional Muzzleloading Association .
I am also an active member of the Idaho Muzzleloading Association who compiles information and submits recommendations for possible muzzleloading hunts across this state , both traditional and modern until 2 years ago .
Just last year I was also active in fighting the lead banns and their effects on muzzleloading hunting in California reporting findings and gathered information back to the commission .

But that�s not all I do . I been in on the wolf recovery act , as well as the application of allowing wolf hunting in this state as a way fo controlling their numbers .
Im part of the sportsman�s coalition, mule deer initiative and invasive species .
Im also lend a hand on the salmon issues � my father was a salmon and steelhead biologist and conservation officer for the state of Idaho , 1950 -1982
I have been part of the habitat rehabilitation for the Stanley basin which I actualy became part of as a very young boy at age 6 . If you really want to get down to it . I have photos of me as a very young boy cleaning wears just below Decker as my father was on of the biologist fighting to save the sockeye in the late 1960�s

So you see for me its more then just some traditional vs. modern bla bla that you must continue for your own betterment .
For me its about the state . Its about hunting , its about continuing to be able to hunt freely , be it muzzleloading ,archery or center fire .
Its about holding some reasonable level of what we have .
My greatest fear has nothing to do with you toby or modern muzzleloading . It has to do with a time that�s fast approaching when the general public steps back and realizes that their perception of what muzzleloading is and what it has become are two different things . A day when we lose support for keeping the exemption under the FFA . The day when we here in the west face the same Malay of of hunter in the field all at the same time . With most feeling the need something bigger and better , capable of reaching farther then the person in a tree stand just a few feet away .
A day when game is no longer managed by folks who�s job it is to protect out wildlife as best they can . But because of un controllable want of a small few , like IMO yourself , the general public comes to the oppenion that management is better done by public opinion

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by txhunter58
Until I see data to indicate otherwise, I will believe that allowing pellets, sabots, and scopes will result in a DECREASE in the number of tags issued for most western states.

Suppostition: No facts to back this up, but I will bet you the farm that allowing these additions to the Colorado Muzzleloader season will result in an INCREASE hunter success. That means more elk hit the ground and are not around for the later seasons.

Supposition: If that happens, they will REDUCE the number of muzzleloading tags issued. Again, I will bet you the farm on this one too.

Wouldn't that mean by allowing scopes, etc. you would be DECREASING muzzleloader opportunity and reducing the number of hunters.

So, if this actually comes to pass, you may increase the chance of success for those getting the tags, but fewer people will have that chance.

TX hunter
that is just what happened here . management came right out and told us that as hunters if we did not accept some changes we would lose opportunity.
But some did not listen.
thus people like toby here keep their toe hold because they can continue the fight .
personally i don�t care . IMO the greatest opportunity even for muzzleloading is in the general any weapon hunt . Sure I try to get more hunts through my association with people in the fish and game .
But that doesn�t change the fact that if you want to hunt and hunt a lot , you wont apply for those hunts , you will saty in the open hunts and enjoy the archery ,open muzzleloading areas and general any weapons hunts .
But still of all those archery and general any weapon gives you 80% of the state to hunt in .
but it seems that even that is about to change as more and more people like toby here push for more and more alounces .

roomer has it that we are fast heading for eather a chose your weapons or a lotery system like oregon has .
so when the stae says , look fellas we need to cut back some things here , i dont ask why , i just say OK becouse if we dont , they sure are not going to be asking when they go to eather of the above

[Linked Image]
W
W
Absolutely none of this has happened in the states where muzzleloading regulations have allowed all the modern muzzle-loaded rifles...loads...and sight systems.

You all suffer from the Chicken Little syndrome. The sky is not falling...and modern technology is not killing our muzzleloader seasons.

Just the opposite. The more appealing muzzleloader seasons (and regulations) are to the average hunter...the more participation in...and the more muzzleloader hunting opportunities we enjoy.

Please, pull your heads out of your anal orifices and see the big picture.

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Have at this one, too, Toby.

Sorry VA, (no, I won't make fun of your handle, that would be juvenile) you'll have to get in line, he still hasn't answered my most basic question, you know, the one about the "right" to use a scope on a muzzleloader in Colorado:

I don't expect him to answer it, because he doesn't have an answer. But I'll keep posting the question, to show what a putz the guy is. And he'll keep fighting for and filing lawsuits for a "right" that we aleady have, and keep telling everyone here to pull their heads out of their asses. Ironic, ain't it?

BTW, keep asking him if he knows the definition of a "right;" he can't answer that one either.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Pretty lame BigBib.

I'll bet my tradtional muzzleloaders will out shoot your traditional muzzleloaders. I hve several of them that are fully capable of taking game at 200 - 250 yards...and everything about them is 1840-1860 period correct.

Well then, what do you need a scope for?

Big Bib?? I've been here a while, and I've not seen anyone resort to juvenile crap like making fun of the handles people use. You're really a piece of..... work, aintcha?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ive pretty much hunted game units from trinidad, all the way up to steamboat springs area and south of it around Vail. You know how many muzzleloader hunters ive ran into that bitched about having to use open sights?

None.

That's been my experience here in Colorado too, nobody I've ever talked to has complained about not being able to use a scope, and that includes all the hunters that have come through our Hunter Education classes, many of which are experienced guys who've moved here from out of state.

And you know what, your data and my data are just as "scientific" and defensible as anything presented by wolfkill.

Which reminds me of why I always liked reading stuff by Ian McMurchy (rest his soul) as far as books and articles on muzzleloading. Ian always put hard data and results of real tests he ran into his books and articles. Check out "Modern Muzzleloading for Today's Whitetails" it's one of my favorites.

Real data and real test results, rather than a bunch of anecdotes and opinions supported by.....nothing. I've read all the contemporary writers on muzzleloading, and Ian was, hands down, the best for presenting facts and ideas based on verifiable data and test results.

Too bad others aren't more diligent, here and elsewhere. Anecdotes and opinions are just like......a**holes, everybody's got one.

W
W
When it comes to opinions and anecdotes smokepole...you should know...you've backed nothing with nothing.

You are absolutely what's wrong with muzzleloading...and nothing what makes it right.

Toby

Last edited by Wolfkill; 08/07/09.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Toby;

You're being asked to back up your position with verifiable evidence.

And, your response, instead of providing such and being a professional about it, is to becoming condescending, insulting, and rude. It's a play right out of the Obama handbook, and I do have to wonder whether or not you act the same way when asked for actual evidence at F&G meetings. If so, do us all a favor, and stop representing "us".

I'd also wonder what your sponsors (you know, the ones that pay you to push your agenda, though you won't admit such) would think if they read threads like this with your oh so professional attitude when dealing with other hunters. I sincerely doubt that they'd see it as you bringing more hunters to their products through your actions and affiliation with them; likely the counter. Which, again, begs the point that if this is how you act otherwise, you'd do us and them a bigger favor by not representing our interests.

Contrasting your actions, as you're "someone who has worked in the industry for 35 years", with those of John Barsness, John Haviland, Ken Howell, several of the other writers who frequent this board and others, as well as the well known and well respected gunsmiths here and elsewhere, shows much. To a man, each one of them has gone out of there way to provide evidence to support their positions, has done so in a well spoken, professional manner, and even when they might have thought that the other person was being a complete DF, maintained courtesy and decorum throughout, or simply left the conversation.

Your responses, your actions, and indeed your attitude, is the polar opposite of theirs. Again, it goes further to provide proof that perhaps we'd be better off without your representation of "us". And, if their actions and attitudes as what is right about hunting and shooting sports are compared with yours, the what's wrong with the sport might certainly take on a far different cast than the one you're trying hard to make.

You never have a second chance to make a first impression, and yours here, has sucked. As a "professional" who has "been in the industry for 35 years", you may want to sit back and consider that, and what you do in relations with other sportsman, especially in light of what it is you say you want to accomplish and what you get paid to do. If you can see how your actions, attitude, and responses here line up with your agenda in the best manner possible, God help you, because as a professional in another field, I can assure you that if my actions, attitude, and responses were similar to yours, when speaking with peers and potential clients, I'd be out of business quickly.

Just a little food for though, and the questions posed previously still stand.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I would like to know who Mr Bridge's sponsors are so I can avoid buying any of their products in future.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Absolutely none of this has happened in the states where muzzleloading regulations have allowed all the modern muzzle-loaded rifles...loads...and sight systems.

You all suffer from the Chicken Little syndrome. The sky is not falling...and modern technology is not killing our muzzleloader seasons.

Just the opposite. The more appealing muzzleloader seasons (and regulations) are to the average hunter...the more participation in...and the more muzzleloader hunting opportunities we enjoy.

Please, pull your heads out of your anal orifices and see the big picture.

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

I would have to respectfully degree, not that where these changes have already happened has not affected opportunity, but that big game in western states IS different.

Take elk hunting for example. We are talking about a relatively small number of tags for the people who what to hunt them. A very finite pie so to speak. Then we have a lot of competing interests (bowhunting, muzzle, rifle). Increased harvest in a special season in Colorado IMO WILL result in lower tag numbers because you are esentially putting a rifle season in the middle of the elk rut and more elk will be killed. You may have more people calling for more muzzleloading tags, but there WILL be a BIG push by the bowhunters not to increase these tags. And there are defitately lots of people who are happy with their rifle tags.

In Colorado, they have cut the number of muzzleloader statewide bull tags by aprox. 1000 in the last two years. I can virtually guarantee you that if the success rate went up in this season, the numbers would go down more.

Sure, in Texas allowing anything goes with muzzleloaders does not affect the harvest that much because we have millions of deer and a 2 month long season anyway. Can you name any elk hunting state that has made these changes and actually increased the number of muzzy tags from historic levels?

And if that is not enough, let's talk money. Higher hunter success means that SOMEONE will have to give up tags. With elk, you can't just keep printing tags, when hunter success goes up, you have to figure out where to cut tags elsewhere. Cutting tags would mean lost revenue. When is the last time you remember game departments doing that? It is either that or increasing prices. Since they are already very high for us nonresidents, I don't vote for that.

I enjoy hunting with all weapons. While I probably enjoy hunting with a muzzleloader the most, I also enjoy bowhuting and rifle hunting. Respectfully, I think I am the one seeing the "big picture" here.

Last edited by txhunter58; 08/07/09.

Venor ergo sum
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have never heard it made clear what "scopes" you are pushing to be allowed to use. As I stated earlier, I would personally have no problem with a 1X scope (no magnification, just a clear and focused sight picture). It would certainly accomplish your wish to help those of us with reduced eyesight, without doubling the range of our muzzeloaders. I think that would only minimually increase hunter success and would not affect the numbers that much, if at all.

So is your real push to help those with reduced eyesight shoot better, or to extend the range of our muzzleloaders? Extending the range is where most of us would have a problem.

Venor ergo sum
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I would like to know who Mr Bridge's sponsors are so I can avoid buying any of their products in future.

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/

It would appear that the list starts with Green Mountain Rifle Barrel, Co., Thompson/Center Arms, Harvester Muzzleloading, Leatherwood/HiLux Optics, and Western Powders/Blackhorn 209.

Of course, these are the same companies that he won't simply say "yes, I'm paid by them to support their products and the expanded use of their products".

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You know I was thinking on this last night some fellas .
Im beginning to wonder if toby here isn�t just fell for Today societies down grade . � IE basically I want it , if I cant get it and you have it , then I will get the government to take it from you and give it to me .
Im thinking his stance on states discriminating on age and disability is just this .
Kinda like standing on the breaks of the salmon and snake river canyon in a place called the narrows . Then taking a step of f into the hells canyon side .. it�s a near strait down . Should not someone considering taking such a step , think about that one step leading to a mile ???

Toby seems to be trying to convince all of us here that as people get older them must be aloud to have given considerations . It seems to me its not enough to has a system in place like the permit system . No , no , no , that just will not do .
This leads me to the question of when this will all stop and if it could stop .
If we say that as folks get older , the need scopes because on an average their eyesight gets worse which mind you I don�t always find that to be the case as a whole lot of those cleaning my clock at shoots and defiantly long distance shoots are 10 to 20 + years older then me for the most part . � IE
IE 60 - 70 + .
However lets for a minute step back and say just for the hell of it , that what toby says is true .
So this got me thinking , what nest ?? Well how about Arthritis for one .

Arthritis is common among elderly Americans, and as the population ages it is expected to increase. At the same time, disability is increasing in patients with arthritis and the racial/ethnic composition of the U.S. is changing; minority populations are forecasted to increase from 30.6 percent of the population in 2000 to 49.9 percent by 2050.The results showed that 1 out of 6 people reported disability in at least one ADL task over the 6-year follow-up period

now the report is to long to post here but you can find many such reports with just a simple google for arthritis in older adults.

So now this leads me to ask . If toby here can get the BoI to try and force this issue on state laws � mind you again typical federal government involvement in states right and the very thing that�s causing many states to Include Montana , to sign sovereignty proclamations �
Then what happens when he gets arthritis . What about other hunters both young and old with arthritis .

Could it not be said that when these folks start having problems with loading . Right now I have arthritis in my left had . The cause is from many years of hard work and holding tools in my left hand . Some days if the weather is right I cant hold a wood chisel . I can no longer hole a chase graver at all .
So what happens when the day comes that I cannot load my muzzle loader . It just hurts to much to use a short starter or go forbid I get palsy of some type � also an effect of age

National Institutes of Health "NIH" estimates that more than half of people aged 65 and older are effected by some form of palsy .

I ask you then what ???
Should I be aloud under toby�s line of thinking to use a breech loader even though the rules say muzzleloader ? after all whats the difference if I use 80 grains of 3F in a brass case ???.
If I shake so bad I cant hold a rifle any more . Maybe I cant walk anymore . Should I not be aloud to use the Video hunting that most states have now outlawed ?
Forget proving any need to anyone so as to get a disability waver , oHHHHH no everyone should decide on their own . IMO just as is the base of toby�s opinion here . So you see this doesn�t just effect muzzleloading . It effects all hunting .

It seems to me we have lost common sense in this country . The common sense to older people had a few generations ago . Where they on their own simply realized that . ; you know , I just cant do what I used to do .
See we are not talking about making a building in assessable to someone in a wheel chair .
We are talking about people having the understanding that with age comes issues . Issues that we all WILL experience . Maybe its just a reasoning of HA you know my eyesight isn�t what it once was . So I cant shoot those longer distances that I once did . I simply must get closer .
Maybe its as simple as , you know because may hands hurt and hitting a short started causes me great pain .
Or maybe it�s as simple as saying you know , ill hunt here around camp OR as my father taught me from an early age . Hunting isn�t just about killing . Its about learning to track , honing ones skills and challenging oneself against other animals on a 1 on 1 base . don�t get me wrong here fellas I still fill my tags . But I also have come to the realization that , you know , filling that tag isn�t that important to me . it�s the challenge and experience . it�s the maturity to realize ; HA that there nice buck is within 25 yards . But I have no way to get him out by myself . If I shot him then where would I be . By the time I get back to camp , get help and get back , he would either be spoiling or wolves or some loin would be into him .

Now if being concerned by these type of questions and thoughts says I have my head in the sand , then so be it .
I have hunted ALL my life . The vast majority of it with a muzzleloader . I have taken my share of elk , bear , a couple moose and many ,many mule deer and antelope . If all goes right , this fall I hope to and mountain lion and western whitetail to that list
I have yet to find any of the above that with little patients I could not get to within 100 yards of �My chosen maximum range � in fact but for a couple instances I would say the average shot is probably more like in the ball park of 50 yards . That mind you is for the most part done at the very same time as center fire rifle hunters are also in the field ..
It simply disgusts me to say any hunter setting on one ridge and taking 3, 4 or 500 yard shots across to the other .
While I do find such shots impressive IMO they are better left to paper .

I would like to say one other thing here to smoke pole . Now im sure this isn�t the case but I think it needs said .. Sir, Do NOT ever let someone be little you because of what they say their rifles can do . With experience you rifles will do everything toby�s says his will do . Yet now days debunks in support of modern high performance muzzleloading . I been a gunsmith for fast approaching 30 years now . I build entry level and high end custom Traditional muzzleloaders. I shoot A LOT some 30 lbs of powder a year . As such I have a wall of medals an plagues that I have received through the years . More then a few are for long distance off hand RB shoots . While my rifle is a flintlock that was built by Hershel House in 1970 and accurate well beyond my ability . � farthest 5 ot of 5 at 335 yards � I can tell you its not uncommon to have someone shooting an old CVA or traditions rifle , leave me standing on the sidelines .
To claim that because I have a more authentic rifle is arrogance just as much as claiming I or any other older person NEEDS a scope to be proficient and compete , takes away from those who have spent the time to become proficient with their weapon .

So head in the sand , maybe . But I would gladly stand next to you , VA or any other modern shooter here on this board or any other one for that mater who has the fortitude to become proficient , accept their skill and limitations , over someone like Toby here who feels the need to apply modern technologies to make up for their own short comings be that in muzzleloading or ANY of the other shooting disciplines .

While toby says his rifle are capable , and they should be . He it seems is not capable , thus in his hands those rifles are no longer capable of what he states , unless he has a scope to aid him

AND VA , VERY WELL SAID I 100% AGREE .

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
When it comes to opinions and anecdotes smokepole...you should know...you've backed nothing with nothing.

You are absolutely what's wrong with muzzleloading...and nothing what makes it right.

Toby

Well, this is a forum where we all express our opinions, that's part of what it's for. But you've got me mixed up with someone who's trying to change regulations or say what "the majority" of muzzleloaders want. That would be you, not me. I'm not the one making claims about what the majority want, you are, and you were asked for your data. Saying "I've conducted seminars and 70-80 % of people in my seminars...." is not evidence or supporting data, it's anecdotal and 100% impossible to verify.

All I've said on the subject of what "the majority" want is that I don't think it means much--witness the recent presidential election. Once again, since you seem to think what "the majority" wants is paramount, that must mean you agree that Obama is the best choice for president, do you agree with that?

You're also the one who claims to represent muzzleloading hunters, not me. Just so you know, I'm 100% with VA on this (and from the appearances of the responses here, many others as well) in saying that you don't represent me.

The only factual claim I've made here is that any muzzleloading hunter who wants to put a scope on his muzzleloader and hunt with it in Colorado can do so. He can use sabots and smokeless powder too.

I've asked for your response to that, but you have none.

But back to your point, if you want to verify that factual claim, it's easily verified. Call the DOW. Look it up in the regulations booklet. It's in black and white, unlike the data you've been asked to supply.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

It seems to me we have lost common sense in this country . The common sense to older people had a few generations ago . Where they on their own simply realized that . ; you know , I just cant do what I used to do .

I would like to say one other thing here to smoke pole . Now im sure this isn�t the case but I think it needs said .. Sir, Do NOT ever let someone be little you because of what they say their rifles can do . With experience you rifles will do everything toby�s says his will do . Yet now days debunks in support of modern high performance muzzleloading

I agree with you 100% on the common sense thing cap, and LOL, I already asked Toby about the arthritis issue and his response was to say I was "crying about being decrepit" (the whole time he's saying his eyes are bad and he needs a scope, can you spell h-y-p-o-c-r-i-t-e?) which goes to VA's point on professionalism, he hit that one on the head.

As far as the capability of traditional rifles, I'm with you there too. I own two and I've taken several deer with one of them. My favorite is a .32 caliber Hawken for small game though. About 6 years ago I interviewed a couple people in the CO DOW about muzzleloader regulations, as well as the wildlife director for the Colorado State Muzzle Loading Association and the executive director of the NMLRA. This was for an article I wrote on the subject. The CSMLA and NMLRA guys echoed what you said, and that is, the accuracy is in the barrel, not the type of ignition system. They felt that not much had been done to improve barrel technology since the late 1800's and furthermore, a lot of the modern rifles were over-engineered with little or no gain in performance.

It's interesting though, the CSMLA guy said something along the lines of what BigBlock said earlier, (and I'm paraphrasing), that scopes and sabots have just allowed people who look to technology for their advantage the dubious ability to gut-shoot deer at much longer ranges. The point being that people need to spend more time on practice and marksmanship, and less time ogling the catalogs for the latest and greatest "advances" in muzzleloaders that really don't amount to a whole lot.

The DOW people I spoke with reiterated what was behind the original Colorado ML season and the processes used to develop the regulations. The DOW conducted opinion surveys among muzzleloading hunters and solicited public input in formulating the regulations, by the way. Real, black and white data with numbers and everything. LOL. The season was instituted at the request of traditionalists, and the idea of allowing muzzleloading hunters to hunt the early season during the elk rut (during archery season) was to provide expanded recreational opportunities for hunters using weapons that put them at a disadvantage compared to modern centerfire rifles. In-line ignitions were not seen as a real advantage over traditional rifles. Scopes and sabots were.

The thought being, muzzleloading hunters can't have their cake and eat it too, i.e., they can't be allowed the huge advantage of hunting the early season along with the advantage of modern centerfire-like performance.

Now, Mr. Bridges will tell you it's not about all that, it's about allowing older guys who can't see iron sights the ability to use a scope on their muzzleloaders.

But it's easy to disprove his contention by pointing out (once again) that older guys who want to hunt with scoped muzzleloaders can already do so, they just have to do it in the later general firearms seasons along with the majority of hunters in Colorado.

I guess what's good enough for "the majority" of hunters in Colorado ain't quite good enough for Mr. Bridges.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
agree smoke pole
maybe all of us , modern an traditional should get something like this for our rigs
now im not one for such things as stickers on my truck or car . but i did just by 2 of these today . but saddly not becouse of TB
grin

[Linked Image]

Last edited by captchee; 08/07/09.

[Linked Image]
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

[Linked Image]

I've to similar on the back glass of the truck, and the proper flag flying outside the house. In this neighborhood, it gets noticed................. grin

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sean,

Is that flag flying under the "Stars and Bars" flag?

Doc

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks for the list Sean. I do have a T/C but bought it several years ago the rest I don't use and won't buy.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
After reading all twelve pages of this post one thing is clear to me:

Any businessperson who argues with his/her customers and tries to force his/her opionons and ideas on them will surely see those customers disappear.

I'm wondering what Mr. Bridges' "sponsors" think about his tirades?

Last edited by mcknight77; 08/08/09.

Jim
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
Sean,

Is that flag flying under the "Stars and Bars" flag?

Doc

Negative. Stars and Bars in this neighborhood gets you arrested and your house burned down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Toby

For a guy that's seemingly attempting to get people to rally for support of the sport you're certainly not endearing yourself to anyone. You might consider uniting rather than driving a wedge.

FWIW, I'd not recommend politics as your next career.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by SKane

Toby

For a guy that's seemingly attempting to get people to rally for support of the sport you're certainly not endearing yourself to anyone. You might consider uniting rather than driving a wedge.

FWIW, I'd not recommend politics as your next career.

He'd make a great Democrat................................

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

HA!!!!!! NOW!!!!:D , no need to get nasty grin
I would disagree with that though blush

Last edited by captchee; 08/09/09.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Alright . First im sorry this took so long for me to post .
It took a little longer for me to dig through my files and find it

Now a couple things to remember here before you read these scans

Idaho has its wildlife management alittle different then other states .
This was alluded to earlier when I mentioned that the commission is not a law making body .
The way our system is set up is that we have a Department of Fish and game . That department has sectons that cover everything from hunting to fish .
Within the department is many, many sections ranging from fisheries to big game then you have management and enforcement, each with their own directors and administrative sections .
These are all paid state employee�s .

Now above that we have the Idaho fish and game commission .
On this commission sets one person from each from each region .
These people are not elected officials but appointees . They get no pay only re-imbursements for cost accumulated . They serve for a 4 year term and serve by the will of the governor. At the time of every gubernatorial election . The commission members all resign . The governor then either accepts their resignation or rejects it . In wich case they stay on the commission tell such time their term is fulfilled OR the governor asks for their resignation

Above that is the congress and senate natural resource committee .
This committee is made of of elected officials from the congress and senate
Above them we have the full congress � both houses �

Then we have the governor as the final say .

Now how this works is lets say you want to make a rules change in anything . You approach the fish and game department through a suggestion process .
That goes to the appropriate section within the department .

If that management section feels its feasible , then it goes to their director who recommends it to management . Then the management takes a look . If they feel its feasible then they incorporate it into a recommendation to the Idaho fish and game commission � again made up of NON elected officials and non paid state employee�s �

Now the commission takes a vote . If the commission agrees then its applied as a rule for the next years season . Its interesting to not here that a commissioner can disagree and if they disagree strong enough , they can step above the rule of the commission and disallow that rule within their region .
The same also can be true . If a commissioner agrees with the proposal BUT the total commission does not , , then that commissioner has the power to implement that rule within his region , without the full approval of the commission . This is what Tony McDermott �Panhandle Region commissioner �
did in in the 2007 rules change . in that he converted his regions muzzleloading areas to short range weapons areas so as to Circumvent vent the commissions misapplication of the side lock only rule . which did not apply to short range weapons hunts.

But it cause consequences . that move he also inadvertently aloud muzzleloaders to used everything because those short range weapons rules are not confined by the muzzleloading rules , but are regulated by the any weapon general season rules . as such , completely closed ignitions , variable powered scopes, sabots , sub caliber projectiles , jacked bullet and core lock designs, electronic ignitions , basically any and everything one can think of .
However doing so DID NOT INCREASE the numbers of muzzleloading hunters in those areas . What it did to was raise the sales of shotguns and slug ammunition in the surrounding areas and BOST the numbers of hunters taking part in those hunts .
Which resulted in the next year those hunts again becoming MUZZLELOADING ONLY

Now once a rule is made , by the commission it get implemented for �1� year . In which time the natural resource committee looks it over . IF they accept it , it then goes to a vote of congress as a proposed law . If congress accepts it , then it goes on to the governor for his signature

At any time though that rule can be struck down or changes . again this is what happened with the side lock/ pivoting hammer which was proposed for TRADITIONAL ONLY HUNTS here in Idaho .

During the process of the commission voting , the wording got change to incorporate all muzzleloading hunts . Not just Traditional Only hunts

Now here is the scans I did of the Idaho fish and Game Managements 2007 proposals to the Idaho fish and game commission .,. This is The Fish and Games proposals and their wordings to the commission itself .
Now when you go to ANY meeting where the department is making recommendations . Every person within that meeting is given a copy of the recommendations . The very same on that given to each commissioner .

Now you will notice that under some of the polling box numbers is a section that states RECOMMENDATION : what this is a management clarification or appendix of the above numbered recommendation

After the department reads those recommendations . Then the floor is normally opened for public comment . Such comment is then recorded in the minutes of the meetings and added to any written comment . The reason for the written comment at meetings is that often folks do not want or like to speak in public as such , the process allows for ANYONE who choses to , too write their opinion on a provided card and drop that card into the comment box. All of which will later be read to the commission as a whole .

Now some of this doesn�t pertain to muzzleloading . But I have includes the complete recommendations so as to avoid anyone stating that I purposely left something out .

This report also contains polling of ONLY the internet surveys. It does not include hard copy polling from the regional offices, phone in or written comments

So for those of you from out of state , take close notice of the effect of out of state opinions on those polls
They are listed in each bracket under NONRESIDENT

Now I call your attention to page #1 this page covers all hunting to include center fire .
recommendation rule : 13.01.08. Unlawful methods of take as well as recommendation rule : 13.01.08.410

NOW page 2 is on archery . take a look there folks and you will find the very same push for technoligies as is being pushed in muzzleloading . this is resulting in very much the same fight brewing here in their sport and season

Page 3 is strictly muzzleloading .
Now again I must apologize because I scribbled some notes at the top of the page during the meeting .
What these notes tell me is that the documentations on this page were read verbatim to the commission by Brad Compton Big game manager

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now I call you attention to the wording of rule recommendation :
And the wording of rule #13.01.08.410

Some info to clarify for some of you on the wording of recommendation : 13.01.08.410
We established muzzleloading hunts in in the mid 1970�s . the rules for these hunts excluded modern muzzleloading designed inline rifles . basicly becouse the modern designs were not an issue or even a consideration at that time.

In the early 1990's ,those of us working to get hunts were confronted with the issue that the management department was not willing to establish more hunts do to a relatively low number , �when compared to archery and general season numbers� to provide muzzleloaders with additional hunts . At that time modern muzzleloading basically consisted of older versions of the inline ignitions and the want for conical applications .
A proposal was brought forth to alow modern muzzleloading into the hunts as a way to boost muzzleloader numbers , so as to get additional hunts . But as many of you know , modern muzzleloader boomed in the following years , with all kinds of advancements in powder, bullets and designs ..
So as a way to try and preserve the original intent of the allowance of muzzleloading , some areas were designated in 2001 as Traditional ONLY hunts .
The number of areas was about 50% and nostly in the greater southern area of the state .

Now on to rule #13.01.08.410
Notice the 10 thousand reference in this recommendation . Today the state says we are down to roughly 5000 , even with the allowance of modern muzzleloading .
Now understand that 5000 is done by the number of actual people who say they hunt in a muzzleloading area during a muzzleloading only hunt its not a hard number , just an avarage . It does not include those of us that hunt in the general season , becouse you dont have to by a stamp . NOR the number of stamps sold . The reason they don�t go by stamps is that with our sportsman package � combination license and tags � you also get a muzzleloading stamp.
So judging actual numbers by stamp numbers give a false account of the actual numbers of folks in the field participating in muzzleloading

Now after toby here got involved in this process and stirred up some 2000 resident and NON resident hunters to circumvent the commission and play main stream politics by going to the governor with complaints .
Which is extremely distasteful considering the fact that our system was set up so as to try an d keep politicians out of the process as much as possible .
Which is by the way failing more and more all the time . Thus becoming management based on public opinion more the science

The result was the rule was changed for 2008 by politicans NOT the Fish and Game .
But he and those who supported his views , did not read the wording of recommendation rule : 13.01.08.410 ..
The result was and is that the state held true to what they were saying and basically reduce opportunity .
They did this by removing ALL the traditional only hunts state wide . They closed some hunts completely and converted other hunts to the permit draw only system . Which to remind you all , then ties you in to ONLY that hunt and weapon , when it comes to that species .THUS effectively locking a person who gets that Permit from all other hunts for that species regardless of time or weapons application .

Now there are a few exceptions in that some hunts were left open . The largest % of those areas are in the panhandle . Once again those in the north can thank Tony McDermott for doing that as he foresaw a need concerning whitetail numbers in those areas . But understand that there was a push to shut many of those hunts down as well .

Now many of us Traditional and modern alike requested that the management dept provide the documentation to support the application of this side lock , pivoting hammer rule to ALL muzzleloading areas against what was recommended .
That I know of , NO such supporting evidence was ever sent out to anyone . Most certainly not me .
However the management section has not changed their stance on the issues . Thus what we are running into is that even when a recommendation is ask for for even a new permit only hunt , a closed door is ran into

So now as Txhunter stated in his post / opinion. We now have less available tags . While some folks may say its not true , I have to disagree . For the base reason that when ever you go from an open hunt system to a permit only system , you force a reduction in the number of folks who will buy such a tag or recieve such a tag .As well as most times also apply a limit to the number of tags available in the permit hunt . Thus you have reduce the number of hunters. Basicly a CYA situation. where on one hand it can be said no reduction has been made . But at at the same time its clear it has .

now since this is already long and im getting really miffed here im going to finish this with a scan of the Idaho fish and game news paper Artical that was on news stands at the same time . this is what residents have a lot of access to , that NON RESIDENTS don�t , unless they subscribe or stay up on the situations within a state , ANY STATE .Im not sugesting all states put out this news paper . but what im am saying is that alot if information goes around inside a state that out of state people for the most part never see

So if you are a NON resident and want input on a states issues , its best that you do your research and understand what the issues are . IF you don�t then what happens is you can effect something within the state based on your opinion and dislike for any given state rule , when in fact there very well be more to it then just what you see or think .

Which also can be said to include RESIDENTS who do not take the time to get involved and make knee jerk reactions based on surface opinions on any given subject .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/captchee/TMA/idahofishandgamenews004-1.jpg[/img]

Last edited by captchee; 08/09/09.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

134 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 300_savage, 17CalFan, 280shooter, 20 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,126
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.