Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Siggy32 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Freind bought new Model Seven 243 about 5 years ago, had a gunsmith do bedding job, looks good. In developing reload, checked free float good, squeezed stock to barrel little movement, pulled out on stock holding barrel & stock popped out about 3/8", squeeze it pops back together. So this is how I found the issue.

Went to unscrew front guard screw, tight as hell, took some torque to loosen. So the problem, with stock off or on the screw only turns in about 1 & 1/2 threads & locks up tight. I thought wrong screw, ordered new from Brownell Model Seven screw same thing. Took a screw out of a Remington 700 same thing 1 & 1/2 turns tight.

Cleaned threads in action ,looks good, a Weatherby screw will go all way in & out but wobbles, of course because it is wrong screw but will thread in. The 2 Model Seven screw fit in 1/4" x 28 die, so before I carefully run in a 1/4" x 28 tap to dress the threads, I wanted to ask if there is some odball screw or reason out there? Could the screw be the wrong one still?

I can only think someone ran in wrong sized screw, maybe one of those kits with T-hanles used in bedding. Does anyone know the exact thread size it should be?

Thanks for thoughts in advance.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. - Billy the Kid.

Democracy is two wolves & a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am not that all that familiar with the Model 7, but could some of the bedding material have gotten into the screw hole and hardened, preventing the screw from going all the way in?

Seeks like the screw screws into the recoil lug, but I am not sure about that. If that is the way it works, maybe the hole is not deep enough.

Siggy32 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I thoughht of that & cleaned them, didn't help.

However, I ran the 1/4' x 28 tap in the hole on the action with oil, which did in fact redress the threads & all works, goes together fine now. Was just careful as I started & could feel it dressing not cutting new threads, little metal on the tap when it came out.

I was just worried that the threads might be something different the 1/4 x 28 they weren't & yes some one had to have used the wrong screw to bugger up the threads.

All ended well

Sig

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. - Billy the Kid.

Democracy is two wolves & a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad it worked out for you. Didn't occur to me that someone would have used the wrong screw and buggered up the threads.

Makes you wonder why someone would do that, doesn't it, unless whoever glass bedded bought a 3 inch 1/4 inch screw at a hardware store and cut the head off to use as an alignment screw, and the hardware screw was something like 1/4 X 20.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I do not use those screws anyway. I use a short wood screw to hold the guard in place and the rear tang screw. There is no reason I can come up with to add another element to the potential action stressor component...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Art-- There is no front guard screw on a model 7. He is talking about the front action screw, and it indeed threaded 1/4"-28.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup. I stand corrected... was thinking ADL style as soon as he called it a "front guard screw" and should absolutely have figured it out by screw size...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jamison
Art-- There is no front guard screw on a model 7. He is talking about the front action screw, and it indeed threaded 1/4"-28.

What the hell else would you call the front action screw if it were not called a guard screw. They are all guard screws, unless of course it is used on an ADL type and then would you call it an action screw????

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sounds like there are guard screws and there are triggerguard screws.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
jkob
"What the hell else would you call the front action screw if it were not called a guard screw."

Obviously you answered your own question. I had no idea my simple nomenclature slip would cause you so much grief. For some goofy reason I prefer to name objects by either their most critical or unusual aspect. Surely you understand holding the action in place is more critical than hanging a box on bottom...
art

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 54 invisible), 2,216 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,361
Posts18,506,347
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.