-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can pack a whole pronghorn and half of a deer or caribou. I gut those just to minimize surface exposure. When it comes to a moose though, I'm pushing to pack a bone in ham.

It would interesting some day to see how a skilled butcher in Africa breaks down an elephant.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/07/09.

1Minute
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We have to take the deer in to be tagged, so we usually do field dress in the traditional manner. I would have to check the regs to see if you could do the gutless version and then remove the head/cape to just take that in for tagging.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
I can pack a whole pronghorn and half of a deer or caribou. I gut those just to minimize surface exposure. When it comes to a moose though, I'm pushing to to pack a bone in ham.

It would interesting some day to see how a skilled butcher in Africa breaks down an elephant.

I've packed out 2 caribou at once before- of course it was meat and head only, no bone wink

(my client packed the head/cape off of one of the animals)

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good link, but skin the animal before removing the quarters! You can lay the animal on its own hide, keeping the meat clean (and hair free!).

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by medicman
Though it interests me, I have never done it. The retroparietal cavity separates the viscera from the kidneis and tenderloin, so judicious use of knife should separate the tenderloins without contamination. This of course hinges on shot placement not causing compartment failure.
Randy

Randy
And more likely, whose tired hand is doing the cutting by the time you get that far into the job... There is also the possibility of a poked bladder...

Thanks for the comment, seriously, because it made me look it up and learn something.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jordan
We bag and remove quarters as we skin them out. There is no advantage in leaving skinned quarters in the open to get dirty...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Art,
Sorry, I guess I should have explained my point a little better. I'm not saying to skin the entire animal before removing any quarters. What I am saying is to skin each quarter before removing it. In that link, the guy was cutting through hide, hair, and meat all at the same time. What a great way to fill your meat with hair.

There is, however, one advantage to skinning the entire animal right away- heat release!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jordan
Woops, guess I should have watched what you were commenting on...

I agree completely!
art

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bag quarters progressively as they are skinned to keep them clean. I would never skin a whole side and leave unprotected meat...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess I'm just not as experienced as the rest of you guys. Seems like everyone I talk to about this claims they can skin and bag an elk in less than an hour. For me its been no were near that quick, especially alone. The 15 min it takes to gut an animal saves me time in the end. Not to mention its easier to get the entire tenderloins out with out worring about splitting the ever expanding gut bag.

Maybe I'm just no good at the whole gutless thing.

We were fortunate to kill two moose within about half an hour of each other a few weeks ago. We decided the best thing to do was gut one and get it opened up and cooling, and go work on the second one. The second one we decided to go with the 'gutless' method, bagged and deboned at the same time. Start to finish was 4 hours with meat bagged and in the shade. The first moose we gutted was bagged and in the shade in 3 hours, add in the gutting time and we were still time ahead... That was also after packing a load of meat down to camp, and hiking a mile back up to the second bull. In other words we were 1/2 worn out before we even started.

No guts made moving it around 10x easier, and all in all the meat ended up cleaner. maybe we should have split the hide on the belly instead of the back on the gutless bull, but reguardless I'll never do another gutless.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I did two whitetail does without gutting last year. I quartered each where they fell, and packed out the meat. I will do it again.

Some pointers.

If you get hair all over your quarters, singe it off with a torch before you cut it up.

If your animal falls on a sandy riverbank, try to drag it off of the sand. If there in no sand free area, good luck. I got a little sand on one, and you just can't rinse all of the sand off. All meat from that deer, and the two that shared a cooler ride home, was crunchy. Not the good crunchy.

Here are some pics I took of one last year. Skinning and quartering on the ground killed my back, but dragging it, then hanging it, and butchering at home would have been worse.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Jason
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, skin and quarter as you go.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup, Lay it in the dirt after skinning and bitch about grit... Amazing!

Get game bags around the meat AS you skin quarters!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bambistew
I guess I'm just not as experienced as the rest of you guys. Seems like everyone I talk to about this claims they can skin and bag an elk in less than an hour. For me its been no were near that quick, especially alone. The 15 min it takes to gut an animal saves me time in the end. Not to mention its easier to get the entire tenderloins out with out worring about splitting the ever expanding gut bag....

I leave the tenderloins until last. When everything else is off, I slit open the gut to take the pressure off, then cut along the sides of them to get my hand in and get them. The time it takes to gut one is just that much less time spent and it leaves a big mess to work in.

I can't do an elk myself in an hour, for sure. It takes me about 3 hrs, but I'm 61 so maybe a young'un can do it faster.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's very much like my Inuit friends taught me to process caribou. We end up gutting after taking off the quarters and backstrap though.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We end up gutting after taking off the quarters and backstrap though.

Why?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bambistew:
Seems like everyone I talk to about this claims they can skin and bag an elk in less than an hour.

While I'm typically not out to set speed records, I know I'd be hard pressed to get an elk bagged in an hour using either method. It took me almost half an hour to get my last elk out from beneath the tree limbs he skidded under last time. I'd get him out, and he would slide down under another. The two things that help my efficiency are 1) practice, and 2) some help.

On the practice side... few of us are professional butchers. It is amazing to watch those guys work with a boning knife, and a little help can actually slow them down. In a season where the family might score 2 or 3 deer, the last one I work up looks like it came out of surgery. I always need to refresh the memory on the lay of the land (skeleton and muscles), and there's little waste of time or meat after I've done a few.

A small bit of help can almost halve the time needed for carcass work up. Just having someone around to hold up a leg, stretch out some hide, or tie a knot in the line is a real bonus. Even a small child can be an asset.

As to cleanliness, there is nothing better than working up a deer or elk in about 18 inches of snow. I've been lucky too a couple of times, and been close enough to camp to haul up a Come A Long and get an elk completely off the ground. Bagged those up without a single pine needle on the carcass.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/09/09.

1Minute
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (22250rem, 1badf350, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,364
Posts18,506,392
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.