Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hemiallen,

Think were getting into dead equine abuse here.

ie. - Beating a dead horse.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think that John's right about the dead horse. John Wayne shot a Weatherby .300. "God Bless John Wayne". Surely no one will argue about that.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
No argument here.

In the land of the blind, the one eye is king.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
I own Weatherby - so that answers that load of nonsense.

I think this posting was put up here to discredit Weatherby and I don't know the reason Ken Howell wants to discredit them. I am giving him the chance to redeem himself, but it isn't his style.

I think you're right....& don't hold your breath.

ETA:... Has anybody else noticed the conspicuous absence of comments fro JB, Redneck & Mickey???

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 10/20/09.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
� Ken don't step in it often , but he did this time !

Sure did � like walking across a pasture in the dark. My boots got stinky, but my feet are clean.

� I think this posting was put up here to discredit Weatherby and I don't know the reason Ken Howell wants to discredit them.

Not guilty.

I am giving him the chance to redeem himself, but it isn't his style.

It's not my style to seek redemption for anything that I'm not guilty of.

I'm guilty of a lot that you don't know anything about. I pray often for redemption � and at none of these very painful times do you even come to mind. So don't hold your breath.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
...and John Wayne was a duty dodging puss. Sorry if you don't like the sound of that, but ask any of the real men of the era what they thought of him.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Always had respect for Mr. Howell's writings.

If what he says is accurate, all prominent gunwriters are criminals.

How could only he know?

How could someone who knows that products that they hawk cause injury not say so? Unless they are a spineless criminal?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Your right...I think we may have a conspiracy!! grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it's racist!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So a 700 is a "Sucks"...

And a MKV is a "Blows"?

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Long a$$ read. I guess I missed the concrete facts. Yes Weatherby ammo is hotter, by about 10,000 lbs. At one point in my life I went through magnumitis and went through all the Win mags and moved on to the WBY magnums. I sold all but one German 300, super accurate. At one point I had 4 WBY's in 300, I reloaded and shot them all, I looked, as always, very closely at the cases after shooting, I also made sure a case fired in one gun would chamber in the others. This told me there was some pretty good QC in these 5. What I missed in reading 23 pages was fact, age of the gun in question or whom was it manufactured by? Was it an early one assembled in the USA, Germany, Japan or back in the USA. What caliber was it, are we sure the right cartridge was used. Are we sure it actually happened? I have shot many MK V's, I have owned many MK V's and do not fear them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 Patience Ken it will eventually slide down the screen into obscurity as you put it on one of your posts last year. LOL
Thanks again for bringing this forward. I reload so no problem for me.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
+1 Patience Ken it will eventually slide down the screen into obscurity as you put it on one of your posts last year. LOL
Thanks again for bringing this forward. I reload so no problem for me.

Do you attempt to reload your Weatherby(s) to factory spec?

I'm curious about this as many mention that they handload the rounds, so it doesn't matter.

I bought the rifles I have, that are chambered for Weatherby rounds, to get Weatherby performance.

I don't blindly load until they match factory ammo, chronographed, velocities. I do cherry pick load data to get where I want to be. I understand the Weatherby ammo is loaded to higher pressures, in relation to the majority of other factory rounds, as it obvious that it must be so.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I am not 378, but if you missed my question, the answers may give you some information....
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3378526/1

"I don't blindly load until they match factory ammo, chronographed, velocities. I do cherry pick load data to get where I want to be. I understand the Weatherby ammo is loaded to higher pressures, in relation to the majority of other factory rounds, as it obvious that it must be so."

Weatherby cartridges have larger case capacity than most other competing rounds, and the case capacity CAN allow them to get more velocity without having to increase the pressure.... but, we all know they ( wby ammo) is loaded to the gills in pressure, and assuming ( big ?) it is loaded TO SAAMI max, it inherently has no safety issues, hence my earlier thread.... Asking if anyone feels they exceed SAAMI, or can a handloader match Wby ammo's measured velocity.

Allen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And the answer is ------------- Matching factory velocities - while loading to data published by Nosler [ hint: IMR 7828 ] - is not a problem .

So ; Maybe Nosler is in on the conspiricy !

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks hemi for good reply on the subject. I've never run factory ammo through my chrony but Mule Deer seems to have studied the factory load speeds and even took the cartridge apart and weighed the powder and stuff like that. He must be one of them mad scientist types with a big laboratory in his basement. LOL

If you follow the loads and recommendations in any of the reputable reloading manuals you will never get yourself in a problem. Trim to length and measure every cartridge-never speculate that if one is the right length that the other 19 will also be. Very wrong.
If you want to see very dangerous situations don't trim your brass and let it grow and grow until it will actually bind or pinch the bullet and then you can have a problem.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks for the replies.

The "other" thread that discussed pressures that started my thread got me realizing I had heard many times in the last 30 years of reading reloading magazines that Wby ammo is difficult to match with handloads, and on the EDGE of pressure. BUT, that was before 7828 was available.

From My thread it was apparent my old information was incorrect, which is great to see. As an example there was a time when an 06 could outperform a 308 by a good 200 fps, with newer powders I believe there is little lost on the shorter case if one selects the right combination, ie the 308 can be very efficient compared to the 06.

LOL at John M, the horse was dead on page 3, I was trying to bring some DUH factor to some postings that seem to be exagerations, overly making the gun the issue, while it seems more logical to me it is an ammo issue, IF AT ALL..... and I don't doubt the incidents reported, more the completeness of these accidents.

I was "loaning" my rem 700 7 rem mag to my son several weeks ago, and looked at some of the fired cases. I worked up loads for the gun using a chronograph and visual indications to determine the hottest / most accurate and loaded with that information. Looking at the cases requires me to relook at that gun in the future to make sure what I did 20 years ago is still safe.....

Allen

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Had a nice conversation with Dave Gentry in his shop about action strength right before he died two years ago... he told me the only actions he'd shoot behind without glasses are the Mauser 98, Savage 110 and Weatherby MkV.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John ... speaking of beatin' a dead horse ... you've been asked several times about the person with the missing nose in the pic you posted ... Is it from a MkV mishap?? Or just trying to scare folks?

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
K
K
Originally Posted by avagadro
John ... speaking of beatin' a dead horse ... you've been asked several times about the person with the missing nose in the pic you posted ... Is it from a MkV mishap?? Or just trying to scare folks?

If you right-click on the image and select properties you can see that the file name is DogBiteNose.jpg

A quick google image search will allow you to find the same image on irishambulance.net

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,667
Posts18,513,075
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.