Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
ok guys whats the main difference besides velocity of these two catridges
i am goin to buy one or the other i like the remington model 7 xcr in 300 wsm and i love the tikka in either
or do i buy a used model 70 for the moeny and spend more on the trip or the glass to go on it
im not going to be able to go elk hunting for a couple years and prob wont get to go very often
i have a 25-06 and that will shoot anything i want here in illinois
thanks

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Trajectory and velocity along with a short action.

I bought a couple 300 shorties several years ago(300WSM and 300SAUM) and ended up selling the WSM. It had a good bit of recoil like a LW 300WM, didn't give quite the MV of the 300WMs I own, and just really didn't fill a need. I just grab my 300WMs if I want that performance or my 30-06....

I only kept the SAUM because it shoots so well(Sendero SF sub 1/2 MOA), but I've never taken an animal with it. I take it to the range now and then to punch paper, but when I want 300 Mag performance, I grab one of the winnies.

If you don't intend to shoot past 300, the 30-06 will fill your needs. If you want 30cal mag performance it's hard to beat the famous 300 Win Mag.

Some will argue SA vs LA, I have a couple safes full of rifles and personally never felt a difference in either under any circumstances.

Good Luck

loder

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would go for a stainless tikka 30-06 you will not regret it. 30-06 will handle anything you need to do.165 gr partions and accubonds are excellent out of the good ol 30-06.You can run them close to 3000 fps.

1 and done
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i'd roll with the 06'. the only thing i like short and fat are my women. but thats just me.

�A free people [claim] their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.�
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by yukon375
i'd roll with the 06'. the only thing i like short and fat are my women. but thats just me.

ROSIE ODONNEL??????? GACK!!!

Now I need a barin wash to get that out of my head.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Fog
Right now, Phil Shoemaker who posts here as 458Win has a post saying that this year he used a 30/06 to back up the hunters he was guiding for Alaskan brown bears-and he didn't get et, depite having to stop at least one revengeful bear. Also, he posts some penetration tests of the 30/06 with various bullets.
Also, Mule Deer has a post about the comments of an outfitter that he talked to that was not enchanted with the customers that arrived toting 300 Magnums.
Cummilatively, in those two posts there is probably well over 100 years of intense hunting experience pointing to the concept that the 30/06 is not only sufficient for animals up to brown bear, but a BETTER choice for the average hunter.
Buy a good used 30/06, put a good rugged 4X or 2 to 7 scope on it, and do what you need to get it shooting consistently under 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards. You might have to have the trigger tweaked, a bedding job, a recrown. Get a decent rangefinder, as most people have fits estimating range. Get a GOOD 7 or 8 power binocular, and LEARN TO GLASS. LEARN TO GLASS. LEARN TO GLASS. Practice shooting over a backpack, from shooting sticks and from ofhand. Get a top notch pair of boots.
The 30/06 is less expensive to shoot in factory loads than a magnum, and that will be much more conducive to getting the practice that you should have.
Elk have a fairly large kill zone compared to a deer, and most are killed under 300 yards,so it doesn't require a Herculean feat of marksmanship or specilized equipment to kill the,. What it does take is dependable equipment that you are familiar with.

Royce

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MILES58
Originally Posted by yukon375

ROSIE ODONNEL??????? GACK!!!

Now I need a barin wash to get that out of my head.
......rosie is far from a woman. grin, but now that you mention it, rosie and the wsm's do have alot in common.

�A free people [claim] their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.�
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Royce
Fog
Right now, Phil Shoemaker who posts here as 458Win has a post saying that this year he used a 30/06 to back up the hunters he was guiding for Alaskan brown bears-and he didn't get et, depite having to stop at least one revengeful bear. Also, he posts some penetration tests of the 30/06 with various bullets.
Also, Mule Deer has a post about the comments of an outfitter that he talked to that was not enchanted with the customers that arrived toting 300 Magnums.
Cummilatively, in those two posts there is probably well over 100 years of intense hunting experience pointing to the concept that the 30/06 is not only sufficient for animals up to brown bear, but a BETTER choice for the average hunter.
Buy a good used 30/06, put a good rugged 4X or 2 to 7 scope on it, and do what you need to get it shooting consistently under 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards. You might have to have the trigger tweaked, a bedding job, a recrown. Get a decent rangefinder, as most people have fits estimating range. Get a GOOD 7 or 8 power binocular, and LEARN TO GLASS. LEARN TO GLASS. LEARN TO GLASS. Practice shooting over a backpack, from shooting sticks and from ofhand. Get a top notch pair of boots.
The 30/06 is less expensive to shoot in factory loads than a magnum, and that will be much more conducive to getting the practice that you should have.
Elk have a fairly large kill zone compared to a deer, and most are killed under 300 yards,so it doesn't require a Herculean feat of marksmanship or specilized equipment to kill the,. What it does take is dependable equipment that you are familiar with.

Royce

I'll go with that.
Good Post.
JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
F
fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
i think my questions are getting answered

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reloader7RM nailed it.

This big difference is the few ounces weight you save with a short action.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by fog
i am goin to buy one or the other i like the remington model 7 xcr in 300 wsm and i love the tikka in either
or do i buy a used model 70 for the moeny and spend more on the trip or the glass to go on it
im not going to be able to go elk hunting for a couple years and prob wont get to go very often
thanks
................The 300 WSM will get ya better velocity, more down range energy, a shorter action and more recoil to go with it. However if you are a reloader, the 300 WSM can be re-loaded down to `06 levels.

Regardless of the downrange energy # differences on paper, the old `06 will do anything on game for use in Illinois that the 300 WSM can do.

On the other hand, if one were consistently hunting out here in the western states in wide open plains country, the 300 WSM imo would make the better choice because of its flatter trajectory.

Get the rifle and cartridge that best suites your hunting needs for game, hunting style, and terrain the "majority" of the time.

Although I own a 300 WSM, for Illinois the majority of the time, the `06 is the better choice.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by fog
thanks

if you reload = either which ever floats your boat
if you do not reload = 30-06
300WSM = 180's @3000FPS, cases sized correctly last a long time, on average a more accurate round.
30-06 = feeds better for sure, and you can buy them at Walmart!

which ever floats your boat.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

What's the difference in the 30-06 and the 308?

Just imagine a fat 308 giving you an extra 200 fps.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"..whats the difference in the 300 wsm and 30-06"

About 250 fps with a proper 180gr. bullet. Good of course, but that's really not a lot of difference.

With apoligies to their fans, magnums have always had their greatest appeal to those who study ballistics charts but have little hunting experience or faith in their shooting skill. Largely trivial differences look good on paper but it's more difficult to see in the game woods. Old guys with .30-30s and .35 Remingtons still take their share of game each year, the steady, "obsolete" .30-06 users do too.

I think it would be quite hard to demonstrate any theoretical accuracy average differences at all. And any advantages to a "short action" is limited to magazine articals. I just can't imagine how or where moving a "long action" bolt another half inch is any serious trouble and, if weight is an issue,just carry one less Snicker's bar and leave the rifle alone!

BUT, bottom line, the younger user is unlikely to get "magnumitis" outta his head until he gets/uses one so he may as well get it done and over with.

IMHO.

Last edited by boomtube; 10/22/09.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
With apoligies to their fans, magnums have always had their greatest appeal to those who study ballistics charts but have little hunting experience or faith in their shooting skill. Largely trivial differences look good on paper but it's more difficult to see in the game woods. Old guys with .30-30s and .35 Remingtons still take their share of game each year, the steady, "obsolete" .30-06 users do too.

BUT, bottom line, the younger user is unlikely to get "magnumitis" outta his head until he gets/uses one so he may as well get it done and over with.

With no apologies to this kind of nonsense. Only a novice who weekend road hunts would say this.

250 fps? you will be way over pressure. Obviously you have no clue and don't look at ballistic charts.

On the contrary, those who are confident in their shooting skills can handle the magnum as a tool that enhances their opportunities.

As a younger user of the 270 and 280 I came to see the light at a later age in life and started using more powder capacity.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Boomtube, where do people like you come up with this crap. And the one that posted "guides" prefer their sports to shoot 30-06's. FWIW Most of the guides I've talked to were off season cowboys and sheepherders and construction workers that knew considerably less about rifles than I do. Perhaps the outfitters should start asking the sports, "are you an average hunter?" What exactly is an "average hunter?"
I know absolutely nothing about the .300WSM. But I know a great deal about the 30-06 and the 7mmRM and the .300WM and the .338WM and the 8mmRM. I have shot them all and shot them enough to be quite capable with them. And if some bath-a-year guide started trying to tell me what rifle I should be using, he'd be looking for another client.
You folks that want to make broad, sweeping statements in an attempt to appear knowledgable do just the reverse. frown

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 300WSM offers more Oomph in a lighter/shorter/handier package and will out agg it as well.

Much prefer the 7WSM however....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by boomtube

About 250 fps with a proper 180gr. bullet. Good of course, but that's really not a lot of difference.

I think it would be quite hard to demonstrate any theoretical accuracy average differences at all. And any advantages to a "short action" is limited to magazine articals. I just can't imagine how or where moving a "long action" bolt another half inch is any serious trouble and, if weight is an issue,just carry one less Snicker's bar and leave the rifle alone!

IMHO.
..........Boomtube!................Speaking for myself anyway, I can assure you that as a 300 WSM owner and as a 375 Ruger owner (no "magnum" wording included there btw), that I have "PLENTY" of hunting experience along "WITH" the all shooting skills necessary to easily handle those rifles. I`m sure the other mag owners here feel the same way regarding their rifles. I don`t think we mag owners just sit around looking at ballistics charts either.

You are just plain `ol cement headed biased towards the 30-06 and that`s ok, fine and dandy. But don`t slam or under-estimate those of us who do own the mags because of your obvious dislike or bias against them.

There is a little more to a shorter actioned rifle than just the bolt throw and more to the short actions than from just magazine articles. I have owned longer actioned rifles for many years, but also like the shorter actioned rifles as well. The shorter actions have never lost me any game. And if someday I do lose a game animal, it won`t be because my rifles,,,OR should I say instead,,,,,their shorter action lengths.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by boomtube

IMHO.

Dude, Nosler is said to use the 300WSM barrel as its "accuracy barrel" in testing .308 cal bullets...why not the 30-06?

"Theoritically" I would bet the Nosler technicians know more about which cartridge is "on average" more accurate than you do. Nothing wrong with either cartridge weight the pros and cons to your fit! A stainless steel Ruger 30-06 with a Leupold 3.5 x 10 on it would sure go a long way but once Kimber releases the 30-06 Montucky in real 84 size there will be another few bucks of my kids inheritance that they will never see... I am thinking lite these days..on the other hand my Kimber classic in 300WSM with 180's over RL19 is "reasonably" accurate if I don't mix catridge cases.. smile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My goodness, seems I have touched a few touchy nerves! Guess what guys...I expected it! No one can safely post that most magnums are vast over-kill for most users and uses. And it isn't a "put down", it's simply a stagement of fact.

Like any such broad comment, I can't cover all situations in a few words and I certainly didn't post my thoughts as iron clad and fully apply in everyone's situation. Nor did I mean it that way and I suspect each of you are bright enough to recognise it! Okay, so, you love your mags and get your hackles up when anyone comes along and suggests it may be more weapon than is commonly needed, which is all I did say.

If you are fully convienced you are right and I'm wrong, don't be so thin skinned and defensive. Perhaps you could even counter my comments with arguments of your own without resorting to personal attacks and snide suggestions of my inexpericence, just "pile on" disparaging attempts to intimidate discent like a bunch of kids or Democrats on TV?

Nosler's use of a .300WSM is supposed to convience the world that the .300WSM is king of accuracy by some kind of magic? If any such .30 cal magic exists it would be found in the .308! Fact is, the magic of accuracy is in the barrel and action, not the chamber.

The projected 180 gr. velocity differences I cited came from a quick look at Barne's #4; perhaps others should look! ?

Bottom line, my first comments stand as I stated them. But, that is not intended to dissuade anyone with a terminal case of magnumitis from scratching his itch! wink

Last edited by boomtube; 10/23/09.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1234, 007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 12savage, 60 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,684
Posts18,475,043
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.