-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well fellows, such is not the case here in good old Alaska. Vary commonly seen is the addition of wolverine fur with wolf fur for parka ruffs. Like I have posted before you'll see a lot more tracks than you will ever see them in the flesh. The one trait they all seem to have in common is there fondness for a vindictive nature.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Saw one backpacking with my Dad in Glacier NP in Sept 2001, one of the most cool things I've ever seen in the wild. It was loping off downhill away from us to parts unknown. I'd imagine that the way it ran with the front and rear legs not lining up, that the critter would make a distinctive set of tracks.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by davidsapp
Saw one backpacking with my Dad in Glacier NP in Sept 2001, one of the most cool things I've ever seen in the wild. It was loping off downhill away from us to parts unknown. I'd imagine that the way it ran with the front and rear legs not lining up, that the critter would make a distinctive set of tracks.

I think that'd be the coolest thing I could ever see, a wolverine backpacking with my dad wink

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I've seen two.
One was the rarest of the bunch a "Vancouver Island Wolverine".
(They may be extinct now I'm told)
When I saw that one it was chasing a doe and fawn thru mid deep snow but not able to catch up to them for the time I was able to watch it.
The other one was up near B.C/Yukon border lopin along like they do.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
http://www.wolverinefoundation.org/wrlddist.htm

Anyone that thinks they have seen one in the lower 48 states might want to take a hard look at this map. In most cases I think what you are seeing is a badger.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw one a couple years ago while bear hunting in Central B.C. Only the second one my guide had ever seen.

Carpe' Scrotum
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I bet most people who think they saw a Wolverine probably saw a Fisher.They can be quite large over 40" long and run with a lope.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
I can count on one hand the number of wolverine sightings I've seen.

I can count on one finger my sighting.... a few years ago in Wood-Tikchik State Park.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chris112
http://www.wolverinefoundation.org/wrlddist.htm

Anyone that thinks they have seen one in the lower 48 states might want to take a hard look at this map. In most cases I think what you are seeing is a badger.

Cool map, it shows Kodiak as wolverine-free. I believe it!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So,....there ya' are,

standing out under the Northern Lights,......and enjoy peeing into the snow.

........The Wolverine's out there,.......waiting,

....most all of the attacks he makes on simple hivernans taking a leak are FATAL, ......and because he drags his victims off for later consumption,.....the Wolverine will remain a terrible, and enigmatic creature of lore.

Careful about waving yer' live bait around.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Killed a moose last year on a permit hunt in the Anchorage area. The wildlife guys used my gutpile to trap wolverines for collar/study. Pretty cool.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We have lots of lions in ID but I've never seen one. We have wolverines but I've never seen one of them either. There are more than the huggers would like us to believe.

Truer words and all that

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rattler
yah know ive heard of pet ferrets, pet skunks, pet lynx, pet prairie dogs but ive never heard of someone trying to tame a badger....

My mother had a pet badger for a couple years. She was the only one the badger let near the cage. Kindred spirits and all, I assume. My parents found it "dead" beside the road near Ellensburg, WA, and brought it home for the skin. When my father went to skin it he felt a pulse, so they watched it for a few days and one day it was wandering around the shop with a serious list to port.

After a few days of being hand fed and cared for it came around and made a mostly complete recovery. My mother fed it by hand and it would act like a puppy. Somebody let it out of the pen one day and they never saw it again.

My experiences have not shown wolverines to be anything special in the mean department and old trappers I know with quite a bit of experience claim they are way over-rated for tough and mean.

Had a Martin decide a buck I shot on Afognak Island was his and he was willing to fight me for it...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
If there were a lot of them, they'd rule the world...or at least try...if they could get organized.

Nope. Wolverines are classic anarchists.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kid0917
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
I can count on one hand the number of wolverine sightings I've seen.

I can count on one finger my sighting.... a few years ago in Wood-Tikchik State Park.

tis where I've seen 4 of the 5 I've seen as well kid.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've known old trappers along the Yukon and Tanana Rivers that had never seen a live wolverine that wasn't caught in a trap.

I've lived out here on the AKPEN for the last 8 years now and I've seen about a half-dozen live-in-the-open wolverines even followed one for several hundred yards with my patrol rig which I initially thought was a porcupine when I first saw it.
Even saw one this summer. I now have his territory staked out for trapping season next month.

Of course this is open country unlike the interior so it's easier to catch a glimpse of things that may not want to be seen. I also think that maybe half of those sightings were the same animal. But people still see them around here and the couple of trappers we had hitting them always got wolverines every year.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
agreed on the open country gig

timber hides a bunch of stuff

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great,....you've blown your cover,
..... and now Wolverine Central's going to be on to you.

I'd be real careful, from here on out.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pfffffffft............. Their lack of fear is their weakness.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know I ain't apeein in the snow no more. Map shows they just might be around here.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 53 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,455
Posts18,489,729
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.