Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by DMB
Pre 64 Model 70's are over rated, and over priced.
I never bought one, and probably never will, due to their over inflated prices. Nostalgia is the only reason they command the high prices they get for them.
There are far better rifles avaialble, for far less money.
I think that some Post 64's are a better made rifle.
I personally think that the older Browning Safari Grades with the Mauser actions FAR out classed any pre 64 Model 70, and BRNO Model 21's left the pre 64's in the dust, as far as QUALITY is concerned.
The parts interchangeability of Pre 64 Model 70's was terrible, from a production point of view. Most Pre 64's had to have parts hand fitted to get them out the factory door, which indicates a VERY POOR basic design.
My Rem 722's were a FAR better designed rifle, although not embelished like the Pre 64's, and accuracy from a 722 trumped Pre 64's to the point that Winchester had to terminate production of the Pre 64's.
I'll take a Model 54 over a Pre 64 Model 70 any day, for a whole lot less money.

This ought to start a major forest fire.. grin
I'd say.. If I didn't know you better I'd say you're trolling.. laugh

Edit to add: I'll take my new FN Model 70 over any Pre 74 Model 70 any day, for a WHOLE lot less money.
Less money is sure right... They ain't selling well so most can buy 'em for squat above wholesale..

There's a reason for that..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yep....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two points...one function; one looks.
1. Function- The easiest rifle to cycle I have ever operated.
Light bolt lift and slick stripping the round from
mag to chamber.
2. Looks- The best bolt handle design ever. Looks right and is
positioned perfectly.
I have had 4 of them and all shot well. A .308 fw was a disapointment but shot 2" all day long. The stock is a problem on magnums.
Bill

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I smell smoke.... did you order crispy? grin I will give you that the Model 70 is over priced to many. I believe it has more to do with simple economics. Too many $$$$ chasing too few goods.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for all that great info.

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 7 pre 64 Model 70s. Only one, a 30-06 FWT is near-original. I take it on hunting trips and it is more accurate than, for instance, my compo-stocked Remington 700 30-06 that just came from the factory. It also functions better, for me, in the trigger, safety and bolt release. The plastic butt plate doesn't bother me, though I agree it isn't as nice as the checkered metal niedner style butt plates on the earlier rifles.

The other 6 range from a pre-war that was nicely rebarrelled and restocked as a 22-250 varmint rifle to a 300 H&H with a badly modified stock and an unsafe trigger to a 30-06 with rust pits so deep the previous owner polished the receiver ring to an egg shaped cross section. I view the mistreated actions as the basis for first rate custom rifles. For my purposes the beat up m70 is as good as or better than a Mauser 98- commercial or military.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by DMB
Pre 64 Model 70's are over rated, and over priced.
I never bought one, and probably never will, due to their over inflated prices. Nostalgia is the only reason they command the high prices they get for them.
There are far better rifles avaialble, for far less money.
I think that some Post 64's are a better made rifle.
I personally think that the older Browning Safari Grades with the Mauser actions FAR out classed any pre 64 Model 70, and BRNO Model 21's left the pre 64's in the dust, as far as QUALITY is concerned.
The parts interchangeability of Pre 64 Model 70's was terrible, from a production point of view. Most Pre 64's had to have parts hand fitted to get them out the factory door, which indicates a VERY POOR basic design.
My Rem 722's were a FAR better designed rifle, although not embelished like the Pre 64's, and accuracy from a 722 trumped Pre 64's to the point that Winchester had to terminate production of the Pre 64's.
I'll take a Model 54 over a Pre 64 Model 70 any day, for a whole lot less money.

This ought to start a major forest fire.. grin
I'd say.. If I didn't know you better I'd say you're trolling.. laugh

grin grin grin

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I just bought a feather weight in 30/06 in great condition with a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5X8 scope for less than a new Remington 700 would cost. It shoots into 1.25 inches @ 100 yds. The action is slick as butter and a pro already screwed it up by putting a recoil pad one it, so I don't feel guilty hunting with it. The best part is when my wife saw it and asked if it was new, I could say heck no this old thing was made in the late forties or early fifties and be telling the absolute truth.

Harry
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Liking pre 64 M70's,for me,has little to do with scarcity,nostalgia, JO'C,Elmer Keith...or anything like that....those are all nice touches,but they aren't the reason I own and hunt with them.And I'm not a collector; I use them.

I don't have a lot of patience with mechanical devises that don't work...particularly rifles that don't function perfectly every time,and don't shoot well.Having spent a small fortune on currently manufactured rifles over the years,some great and some lemons,I've noticed over the years that the odds of getting a great-functioning and shooting rifle,without doing anything to it,are higher with a pre 64 M70 than anything else I've owned,on average. If I want to get fancy, I drop it into a Brown, or McMillan,and that is that.....no need to do much else,like replace firing pins,speed locks, new bolt shrouds,make sure the bolt handle won't fall off,get an after market safety, new trigger....etc,etc....it's all there...the original.

Yes, they have gotten pricey....but they have been "pricey" since they were discontinued...it's all relative.I remember being in college and seeing a 35 Remington for $350 and wondering why anyone would pay that much money for a lever cartridge in a bolt rifle......within the last few years,I saw a pre war factory original chambered for 405 Winchester(one of two made)......hate to price that thing today.

I'm really happy that many think there's a better mousetrap for BG hunting,cause they only made a little over a half a million of them;there ain't really enough to go around.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Boxerdog

I have done some light reading on these rifles and I was wondering what the general opinion of these rifles are by some owners? I have always liked old school rifles, as I have primarily have hunted with a vintage savage 99 for several years.

Recently I have thought about a pre 64, but I do not have any experience with them. Thoughts? Suggestions and further websites with more detailed information regarding these rifles would be appreicated. thank you
Any pre-64 70 is worlds better as a hunting rifle than any off the rack rifle available today.

IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by rifle
I guess I should get a trash can...
[Linked Image]

Send them over, I'll properly disposed of them for you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Overall, IMO the best mass produced factory hunting rifle of the 20th Century .... and the top big bore target rifle as well.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,289
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.