Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I just thought I would mention that Brian Pearce with Wolfe Publishing's Handloader magazine is ON his game!

I enjoyed a mule deer hunt with Brian a couple of weeks ago, and found the man to be a pure pleasure to be around.
They say that you can find a man's worth while you are in deer camp with him...(Or, his unworthiness) wink
Rest assured that Brian has gained my respect as an authority on reloading and hunting as well.

Many times when faced with "living up to the real world" test, some gunwriters can fall short of the mark. In my hunting and shooting career, I have encountered some of the best, and the worst the pages of our hunting and shooting publications can offer.

Brian is a true gentleman and throughout the course of converstions the week lent us, I was truly impressed by his knowledge of arms, hunting, loading, ballistics, terminal performance, and with nature itself.
There are not many outdoorsmen left in publishing in my opinion, and seasoned writers are few and far between. The few that do stand out have earned it.

Just thought I would share my opinions on the subject, and highly recommend anything that Brian has offered up with an article. If he wrote it, it's probably well worth the read.

Here's picture of Brian Pearce and Federal Premium engineer, Jared Kutney. Brian is seated on the right.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for looking.

Barry

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good to know that Brian made a good impression on you.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Brian is one of the finest men in the business, and because of his upbringing in the rural West gained a lot of knowledge about nature, hunting and guns before he ever published an article. He's also one of my favorite writers to hunt and talk with!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll second John and Barry's comments. Brian is the real deal.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well... did you fill your tag?

"If all the good luck and all the bad luck I've had were put together, I reckon it'd make the biggest damned pile of luck in the world." Charlie Goodnight

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've known Brian for about 25 years and he's one of the best people I've ever known. You can believe every word he says/writes. The things he writes about, he's actually done and knows what he's talking about. I can't say enough good about him, he's good people!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On top of his being an all around good guy, Brian is known for his knowledge of revolvers and lever action rifles but his knowledge of other firearms, including sidelock shotguns, is as wide as any writer in the business.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes, indeed--which is one reason we've always had a good time talking guns.

One thing that's common in this business is that writers are often limited in subject by their editors. Brian is not just a handgun/lever guy but an all-around guy (whether knowledge or shooting) with any sort of sporting firearm.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 11/16/09.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. rockinbar;
Thanks for that positive report on a writer. I for one appreciate hearing them. cool

Brian�s writing style always struck me as coming from a person who had an intimate knowledge of whatever he was writing about.

Thanks again for sharing that with us. Good luck on your upcoming hunts.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Always have enjoyed reading Brian's articles regardless of what he chooses to write about.

`Bring Enough Gun`
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by orion03
Always have enjoyed reading Brian's articles regardless of what he chooses to write about.

Me too.

RH

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Brian is one of my favorite writers.Have learned alot from him.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was raised to understand that the word of "a true gentleman" was as good as gold and that "a true gentleman" always honors his obligations.

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can say I have never found one inconsistency in Brian's writings. His info, as other good writers is of true value.

I have enjoyed his articles i.e. on 357 Magnum in rifles, and others pertaining to 41 Mags and 44 Specials.

He cost me an 1894 357, and I am still considering an FA 97 41 or Special if not a Flat Top Special.

I don't know if he frequents this site, but it would be a pleasure having him active on here.

Jeff, no doubt, he says it how it is, like others, the Late Milek, Skelton, Keith, come to mind. I can say that there are more writers than not that are very good, the ones I read anyways, and JB of course is spot on. Likely the ones I generally read are outnumbered by others w/perhaps less experience and knowledge, let alone time proven integrity.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Did I cite anyone by name?

I think that, perhaps, it is a bit of a stretch for the majority of us to think that we "know" any of these writer or that we are in a position to judge their integrity, either personal or professional.

I'm not a big handgun guy, but figure that I can get by pretty well on what Cooper, Keith, Milek, and Skelton have written.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Since Mule Deer left Rifle and Handloader, Brian Pearce is about the only reason I still read them (Oh yeh, I forgot Duke Venturino).

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I too enjoy Brian Pearce's work. Phil Shoemaker's is great also. My only complaint is that since Mule Deer left Wolffe, I have have to buy more magazines to read them all! That is only a minor irritant though, as I always enjoy a gun magazine.

There was a while in the 90s where I was worried about the state of good reading about guns. The old giants were gone or beginning to look like they would retire, and it seemed that there was noone to take their place. I needn't have worried. Some really good writers have emerged in the last 20 years. I still enjoy a good outdoor/gun magazine. I just hope I don't have to break in a whole new bunch when you guys retire! One grows accustomed to hearing from the same "old friends" as they set down to read.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff, sir you misunderstood me, I never interpreted your post as negative towards any specific writer. I simply was trying to say Brian P. seems to be a very credible writer as other fine writers who seem to be of very good character. His work and the likes, I have always found very factual.

There are many writers I have enjoyed reading and learning from and when they retire, I hope they are replaced with others with similar qualities.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Does Brian have a nickname? I may have another anecdote to relate.

"Every country has the government it deserves." - Joseph de Maistre
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How does one get ahold of Mr. Pearce? I have a 1972 vintage Marlin 45-70 with ballard rifling, that he might be interested in. Does he do email?

Regards,

Tom
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 77 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,961
Posts18,480,554
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.