Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Im looking to get a new diesel truck, What are your opinions to which diesel to buy? What are the good and bad points of all three? Thanx in advance.

Treestands don't demand. Treestands don't complain.
Treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
New?

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I wouldnt get a cummings, but I do love the cummins. It really depends on what your going to do with it. A cummins has more torque and towing. A stock duramax will roast a modded cummins in a drag race (google efi live). And ford is coming out with their new engine which i would stay away from for a few years. On the other hand fords do make great trotline weights if thats your deal.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Get what you like the most. Engine wise. Can't beat the Cummins. Thats what I ended up getting. Do your own research. You will get some weird opinions from people spouted as fact. I have never seen a stock duramax run a sub 11 second 1/4 mile or a 12 13 or 14 for that matter. But I have seen modded dodges and Fords do it.

In reality they are all pretty decent rigs. Some just do certain things better than others.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'm a big ford fan and I'm really pulling for the new scorp engine but i wouldn't mess with the 6.0 or the 6.4

i have the 6.0

sure miss my 7.3

Something clever here.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Stemshot
Get what you like the most. Engine wise. Can't beat the Cummins. Thats what I ended up getting. Do your own research. You will get some weird opinions from people spouted as fact. I have never seen a stock duramax run a sub 11 second 1/4 mile or a 12 13 or 14 for that matter. But I have seen modded dodges and Fords do it.

In reality they are all pretty decent rigs. Some just do certain things better than others.

Spouted as fact? Thanks for the compliment. Were not talking completly bombed cummins, but back to reality. Ive got what I would consider a modded dodge with a edge, fass, TBE and Valair, and I wouldnt put 1 dollar on me vs a stock duramax. But if you consider 10k worth of aftermarket parts in a dodge or ford "modded" then yes, you are right. Im talking simple terms here not extreme.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
if i can get new i will but prob a 1-2 year old truck

Treestands don't demand. Treestands don't complain.
Treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you are looking used try to look for DPF's (diesel particulate filter) and stay far away. My bet would be a 07 cummins.

R
R
dura max hands down that allison can not be equaled and that is comming from a guy that drove fords.. Chevrolet has the pick up now

^

Last edited by rafter-7; 11/18/09.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
holy crap.

registered in 05, first post ever?

Dude, we didn't know you could talk!! grin

I guess it just took something really important to get a post out of you?

grin

Something clever here.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rafter-7
dura max hands down that allison can not be equaled and that is comming from a guy that drove fords.. Chevrolet has the pick up now

^

+1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Just an FYI. If you are looking at Ford or GM, their diesels are not 2010 compliant and there will be a shortage coming of HD diesel trucks on their lot (more so than now). I have heard Gm will not have a 2010 Diesel until April/May and about the same with Ford. Once those engines come out they will have DEF.
Yes the particulate filters were a pain in the butt with the Dodges, but do not have issues with them now as new PCM flashes have become available and people "learning" how to drive/operate them.
All New Dodge HD Ram should start showing up at dealers late Nov. Great deals on the "old" body style. New HD Dodge is going to stir the market. Dodge has always been known for the Cummins and now will have a ride/comfort/convience to go along with it.

Dodge- Good: Engine and drive train are the best. Bad: Rides rough (until 2010 model)
GM- Good: Great ride, creature comforts. powertrain is good. Bad: low ground clearance, not as good off road as Ford or Dodge.
Ford- Good: Power- has lots of it. Big and roomy. Bad- reliability on the 6.0 and new engine yet TBD. Bad fuel economy with 6.4l

Let the flames begin, but jmo.

Hemi

Yes I am a Dodge guy so my pick would be that smile

R
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
holy crap.

registered in 05, first post ever?

Dude, we didn't know you could talk!! grin

I guess it just took something really important to get a post out of you?

grin

I guess I kinda forgot about this board so I was wondering if I was still on file and I was! I spend time at rimfire central and leverguns

here is my general overview of the diesel pick up market

6.9 ford had it till
dodge came with the cummins
ford direct injected the 7.3 and everyone was chasing the ford.
chevy came with the dura max coupled with that allison and everybodys in the dust still are.

I do not mod. anything it voids warrentee. learned this along time ago "don't mess with your daily driver" it finds away to turn into a wrenching project.

if I were to buy a new one it would go like this

chevrolet total package
Dodge economy not so much power
ford would not have a new one to many issues do you know you half to lift the cab up to check the injectors... that is just the tip of the iceberg

Ive drove em all and its just my opinion

as for 2010 models they will get it figured out in short order

my last ford 02 7.3 traded in on a 04 dura max could not be happier I now have an 09

^
we are talking about pick ups right?? cuz this is what a truck looks like
[Linked Image]

Last edited by rafter-7; 11/19/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't get a new diesel truck, I'd get an 06 or older so you don't have the current smog control and hence reduced mileage of the newer trucks.

Unfortunately there is no ideal truck, as there are pro's and con's of each truck, each tranny, and each engine. I went with the '06 ram due to the cummins engine, and haven't been sorry with the engine. I can't stand my local dealer, or how Chrysler/Dodge deals with customer service. No real complaints on the truck, I expect a truck to drive like a truck, have solid axles front/rear and a positive means of shifting into 4wd.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by smithwr
Originally Posted by Stemshot

Spouted as fact? Thanks for the compliment. Were not talking completly bombed cummins, but back to reality. Ive got what I would consider a modded dodge with a edge, fass, TBE and Valair, and I wouldnt put 1 dollar on me vs a stock duramax. But if you consider 10k worth of aftermarket parts in a dodge or ford "modded" then yes, you are right. Im talking simple terms here not extreme.

Perhaps the guy actually wants to tow and haul with the truck (you know, use it like a truck) and not like a race car.

Cummins and Duramax are both good, I wouldn't trust ford diesels now as they seem to change diesel motors about every 2-3 yrs, if they were worth a damn I guess Ford wouldn't need to change motors all the time. BTW did you know the 6.4 Powerstroke is already on its way out?

Bill

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Rumor has it that the name DODGE on RAM pickups with the Cummins engine is on the way out, too. I read that Fiat is going to drop the nameplate part that says DODGE.
So the guys who would never be caught dead driving a DODGE will now be able to buy a RAM with a Cummins.
Of course it will now be a FIAT with an American engine, as opposed to, say, a CHEVROLET with an ISUZU engine.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
New, I couldn't tell you which. If looking for older then I would find GMC or Chevy 06-07 LBZ. They have some emissions stuff but do not have the DPF on the exhuast. Take it and get the EGR valve blocked and fingered or DIY. There are some 09 LMM GMC's and Chevy around which are better on mileage than LMM INthe 07.5's and 08's but they still get worse mileage than the LBZ. The LLY is better on fuel but it has 50 less hp than the LBZ. The LB7's were good on fuel but had injector and overheating problems and 80 hp less than the LBZ.I think the Dodge is ok the fords are about 50/50 some have problems and some don't. However the GM trucks have had some EGR problems( JUST BLOCK IT OFF) and some tranny problems in extreme cold( fluid problem and a check valve thing) which they did a recall on the cold weather problem. I like the Dodge's ground clearance, it can handle a much bigger tire than the GM and Ford. The Ford has better looks than the Dodge and GM IMHO. I HAVE A 07 Chevy 2500 HD Classic CCSB 4X4 and love it, good power and good mileage.

magnums the only way to shoot
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like my 01 Cummins. Great motor. 145K. Tows 11 rolls of hay out of the field with no problem. Tows my boat with no problem. I don't even know the boat is there!

The problem has been the truck it powers.

wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Since you may be looking used, I would opt for the 06 Dodge with the 5.9 or if you could find an early production 07 with the 5.9. That is what I have and am very happy. Traded a 2004 Ford with the 6.0 for the Dodge. The 6.0 spent more time in the shop than it did my driveway!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm happy with my 07 dodge with 5.9, stock it has 325hp 600fp torqe. i would buy a gas rig with a manual trans before i bought any diesel with the particulate crap on it. Diesel smog control kills the economy of buying a diesel truck.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 3,212 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,222
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.