Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 75 1 2 3 4 5 6 74 75
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
If I can work it in the calender I'd be there as well.

Tongue River resevoir for the spring crappie spawn would do me just fine...I'd be floggin my rod.

Dober

Fixed it for you Dober. wink

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Pansy! Have tent cot, will travel. wink

You bet ch-ya!!!! grin And my Lady is even worst!!!! grin grin

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prairie dogs in the entire Red Desert basin and around Rawlins, Split Rock, Kemmerer areas are gone, plague got them a few years ago. Only a few scattered remnants remain, I have not shot any for three years now, the ones I see I leave for seed.

[Linked Image]
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

remfak:

That area around Tarryal Reservoir would be OK for fishing & shooting but not much in the way of places to see or comfortable facilities for the people who want them. It would be great for the Colorado guys but it's not very centrally located to the target area. People from Montana would have to drive a long way.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I requested Rick put this as a Sticky, still haven't heard anything back from him. frown

IC B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Does anyone know anything about the Shoshoni area and/or Boysen State Park? It seems further away from the oil/gas boom area but it looks like a lot of land might be off limits because of the indian reservation.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

jnyork:

Any opportunities to do some shooting in the Cody vicinity? Any grass rats?

Yes we need to be thinking about timing. We held the one at Whittington in March (or was it April?). So we beat the summer tourist crowds.

KC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It was in April.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
April/May isnt a big deal for me.....June-Aug it becomes real hit or miss cause i got alot going on between work, trips that are set in stone and fishing tournaments....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems like this thing if moving farther north with every other post.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm interested....

Getting close enough that some Idaho people may be interested as well.

Steve

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty much anywhere in Wyoming is fine by me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tracks
Seems like this thing if moving farther north with every other post.

its a 12 hour drive for me to hit Colorado Springs from here counting on good roads and few HP's grin anything short of that is fine by me but kept with in a 8 hour drive would be appreciated....always wanted to see Cody but i aint to picky, just need a spot to put up a tent or short of that a place to park the truck and we will throw a air mattress in the back as we have a topper and have camped like that before...preferably near some sort of bathroom facilities....a good stand of trees is acceptable but the wife insists on some sort of privacy screen be it an outhouse or a couple bushes grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
One more vote for Tongue River Reservoir and crappie fishing!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boyson is pretty decent fishing from a boat, maybe a few from the shore, but yes, a lot of the land around there is on the Wind River Indian Reservation, most of the cool canyon to the North is. There is a lot of land to the East and South that is not, and I'm sure there is a lot of BLM -- but there is pretty much nothing out there, semi desert blah (that is truely the middle of nowhere). Might be some prairie dogs but I suspect the plauge has been there too.

Somewhere in the Bighorns on National Forest would be better and near that area IMO.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a good time - I'm in if it happens to fall on a long weekend. A little crappie fishing definitely peaks my interest. Guy can only shoot so many prairie dogs. I'm 6 hours north of Billings so the norther the better!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John Linebaugh has his seminar in June each year in Cody. It's a good time with a lot of good folks. If you come to that gig, small bores are anything that doesn't start with a 4 or larger, and handgun range shooting goes to 970 yards.

The Cody Shooting Complex has a High Power, Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, Cowboy Action, Silhouette, Rifle (500m), Pistol and Plinking ranges. There are primitive camping facilities on site, which are used by the Cowboys during their yearly shoot, so it would be a good idea to avoid those times. There is also a KOA on the edge of town.

The Powell range, about 20 miles away, has a 970 yard range.

Fishing around Cody is some of the best trout fishing in the state, or so I'm told by those who do such things.

There are pdogs around the area, some just south of town toward Meteeteesee, and most likely toward Greybull as well.

It's about 50 miles to Greybull, and most of the land on both sides of the highway are BLM all the way once about 5 miles out of Cody.

The Buffalo Bill Historical Center has the Buffalo Bill Museum, Plains Indian, Winchester Gun Museum, Whitney Gallery of Western Art Museum, and the Draper Museum of Natural History under one roof.

There are also about 10 guns shops in Cody. Bork's, Rocky Mountain, Denny's, Outdoor Sports, Palmers, a new guy on main street, another on the west end past Bork's, Guns West, Honest John's (not the real name) above Peter's cafe for old stuff, and one or two others I can't recall.

I wouldn't recommend the Shoshoni/Boysen area due to the lack of any facilities such as motels, grocery stores, etc. Not to mention that the Fast Lane there is anti gun. I carry open, and after doing business there off and on for 30 years, they decided to post a no firearms allowed sign in the window. Funny thing is, hunters keep the place alive in the fall.

There are some other sights and things to do around the area, like the Old Trail Town Museum where Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid's cabin now resides, along with a number of other famous cabins from Wyoming people of note. I think Liver Eaten Johnson is or was buried there now.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

I'm in Cheyenne at present and will be until this weekend when I head to Laramie, then back to Cheyenne next week, then back to Cody. Anyone living along the way who may like a chat and a cup of coffee, send a PM.

David

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Forgot to mention the Irma Hotel, Buffalo Bill's place named after his daughter. It would be the morning meeting place, and a place to stay if necessary.

David

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cody shooting range is simply the best for many miles around. Not only high-power, but one night a week they have small bore indoor shooting. Also excellent trap and skeet shooting. Community type building with cooking and eating facilities with real indoor bathrooms. O, also sporting clays for those so minded.

Lots of eating places; some good, some not so good. Many motels along with The Irma, built by Buffalo Bill and named after his daughter complete with a beautiful cherrywood backbar that was given to him by none other that the queen of England. A must to see.

Lots of things to see and do there, even raft trips down the Shoshone if the water is not too high, which it usually isn't.

I lived in Cody for twenty-five years and have sent lots of lead downrange there. And if you like wind, you wont be dissappointed. But even that's not bad.

So, see ya in Cody. O, the people that are in charge of the shooting range are good guys and if I remember correctly, electricity and maybe water is available in the camping area.

We need to see if JB would show up. And Dogzapper.

Ivan

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Curious question here but how would be go about getting permission from a range like the one @ Cody to allow a bunch of non club members in?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Page 4 of 75 1 2 3 4 5 6 74 75

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (16penny, 007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,144
Posts18,484,119
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.