-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 75 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 74 75
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry I was out yesterday. I'd be in for this too. I'm near Thermopolis which is 83 miles south of Cody. Cody is a tourist hell from memorial day to labor day. But as was mentioned before or after that you can run into wintery type weather. I would stay away from shoshoni/boysen unless you are out on the water it's pretty much a wasteland.

Thermopolis may be a good alternative for cody. Despite my obvious bias, it's close enough to drive to cody and isn't quite as packed with tourist, better weather-less wind, plently of hotels, campgrounds etc.

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I agree Cody has some wonderfull attributes, but getting an area for a medium to large group may be tough. Please feel free to offer suggestions and help. I just came up with the idea and it started out as a local lunch get together but grew from there which I think is cool!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I was thinking Thermopolis initially as my wife is from there, so I know a little more about it than Cody. IT is fairly central too. Also as you say close to Cody but less busy. What suggestions might you have Ralphie? Shooting facilities west of town? Great fishing I know. The hot springs for those who want to soak or swim.

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
elkhunter76 - WY
JacquesLaRami - WY
K Salonek - CO
pumpgun - CO
derby dude - MT
Stemshot - ?
KC - CO
Kamerad Les - CO
shrapnel - MT
leftycarbon - CO
duck911 - CO
weaselsRus - NV
Glock2240 - MT
JeffP40 - MT
Tracks - CO
remfak - CO
himmelrr - CO
tarkio - MT
rattler - MT
ingwe - MT
Rocky Raab - UT
Cheyenne - WY
jnyork - WY
prairie goat - MT
ranger1 - MT
paladin - WY
partagas - WY
Bigbuck215 - MT
Mark R Dobrenski - MT
MackMan - CO
Cinch - WY
Huntsman22 - CO
deflave - MT
gotlost - WY
Northern Dave - MN
John Moses - Somewhere down south
CP - MT
tex n cal - CA
Ralphie - WY
wyoguide - WY
Snake River Marksman - WY
rnr - CO/WY

Last edited by elkhunter76; 12/11/09.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm in pending my work schedule.......

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thermopolis has a small shooting range. I think you can shoot out to 300 yards. There are 4 or 5 benches and they have some shotgun stuff there. I was only a member once and only went a couple times, but I could look into what they would do to host an out of town group. Thermop doesn't have all the amenities that Cody does, but we have a lot less headaches too. I think many here would enjoy the Days Inn (formally holiday inn) with it's huge collection of taxidermy and hunting photos. I sort of know the owner, maybe he'd come visit with a group of us and go over some of his great collection with us. Thermop really is a little gem of a town. Again acknowledging my bias.

I'd still be in for Cody and think it would work fine, just offering an alternative.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was thinking about Thermop as well. There used to be some fair dog towns along the Bad Water Creek toward Lysite through the canyon south of Thermop, as well as rock chucks at the foot of the Owl Creeks. Don't know if they are still about though as I haven't stomped those parts in a long while. A lot of wide open all around Thermop off the black top. The Big Horn flows through town for the fisherfolk and Boysen is just down the road as well.

I don't know as every motel room is filled in Cody all summer long, and there always seems to be camping spots at the KOA. The other RV spot next to the Burger King seems to be full most of the time, but I really can't say for sure on any of it since I don't stay at the local motels or RV spots. And as mentioned before, the Cody Shooting Complex has camp spots.

Tourist are a pain mainly when trying to drive through town but there's a lot of room to get away from them.

Toward Sunlight Basin North of Cody

[Linked Image]

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If we stayed at the campground at the Cody shooting range, we would have a central gathering place out of the way of all the tourists. I think the same would be true if we stayed at one of the group campgrounds at Glendo.

Jaques: Is that a fair statement for Glendo?

Thermopolis has a small range but we would have to setup something at Glendo.

Ralphie: Is there a central meeting place/campground around Thermopolis area?

Cody is sounding better all the time.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The key issue "central gathering place out of the way of all the tourists"

I am fine with wherever we choose.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess I didn't see that there was a campground at the Cody range. I've never been to that range. I think that would probably be ideal as a central spot away from town but close to it for the amenities and those needing hotels.

There are a couple KOA type places in thermop but nothing that would work as well as a campground at a range, if that's the case in Cody.

Hotels do fill up pretty quickly in cody and rates go way up too, but I'm sure if we scheduled this sometime soon folks get easily get reservations.

IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Bigbuck215, partagas & Paladin:

It looks like we have about 40 people who have indicated interest. Let's guess that we get a few more and that 3/4 of them actually show up and some of them bring family. So that makes maybe 35-40 people or something in that heighborhood.

If a few stay at motels in town, we will need 25-30 camp sites? Is the campground at the Cody range big enough to hold that many people?

Jaques: What about Glendo?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i prefer a motel for this kinda thing but as i said the wife and i have camped in the truck quite a bit aswell as tent camping....seriously though, you guys set it up....if the date works ill be there, dont much care where at so long as you guys think it meets the needs and is north of Cheyenne grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Glendo has several campgrounds. Scattered around the lake.

http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/Site/SiteInfo.asp?siteID=6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think there's 1 motel in Glendo and it's right nexted to the RR tracks (Noise). I believe there is some firearm restrictions in the state park also.
Just for thought, what about around Sundance. It's close to the Black Hills (Rusmore) and all that stuff. But there still camping and motels near or in Sundance.

If you cann't stand my spelling use the ingore feature.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've visited Sundance several times and it's a nice tidy town with lots of friendly people and very few tourists. But it's far away from everyone and the closest campground is in Black Hills National Forest. That campground is no where near large enough to accommodate a group as big as the one we anticipate.

I have hunted in a couple of State Parks and the firearms restrictions are pretty much what you would do anyway. Gotta stay 1/4 mile away from campgrounds, buildings, etc.

Looks like there's also a motel in Guernsey and a bunch in Wheatland.

Here's the website for Glendo State Park.
http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/Site/SiteInfo.asp?siteID=6

Here's the webstite for Guernsey State Park,
http://www.sangres.com/wyoming/stateparks/guernsey.htm

and for the town of Guernsey.
http://www.townofguernseywy.us/

KC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's Jackson Hole like in the summer time?

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by derby_dude

Extremely busy and expensive.

Last edited by elkhunter76; 12/11/09. Reason: kant tipe

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Originally Posted by derby_dude

Extremey busy and expensive.

Thats an understatement.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do like Cody, I'm just putting some other places out there. Saratoga has Good camping / and hotels/ fishing/ Pairie dogs close by. Plus a couple of NF work stations that could be used as a meeting site.

Last edited by gotlost; 12/11/09.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd be interested as well. It'd be cool if we could just find a huge prairie dog town and then just give GPS coordinates and then everyone show up and pop up a tent or trailer and have at for the weekend.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Page 7 of 75 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 74 75

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,153
Posts18,484,272
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.