Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 75 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 74 75
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KC

Bigbuck215, partagas & Paladin:

It looks like we have about 40 people who have indicated interest. Let's guess that we get a few more and that 3/4 of them actually show up and some of them bring family. So that makes maybe 35-40 people or something in that heighborhood.

If a few stay at motels in town, we will need 25-30 camp sites? Is the campground at the Cody range big enough to hold that many people?

Jaques: What about Glendo?

KC

If the campers are all self-contained, there is lots of room. Electricity is available but very limited.

Might help in planning for all that are planning on Cody if everybody Googled Cody Shooting Complex and looked at their schedule for 2010.

Last edited by Bigbuck215; 12/11/09.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gotlost
I do like Cody, I'm just putting some other places out there. Saratoga has Good camping / and hotels/ fishing/ Paire dogs close by. Plus a couple of NF work stations that could be used as a meeting site.

Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I'd be interested as well. It'd be cool if we could just find a huge prairie dog town and then just give GPS coordinates and then everyone show up and pop up a tent or trailer and have at for the weekend.

Not that I am against Cody (other than dealing with the tourists) these 2 suggestions are more along the lines of what I was thinking about. Unfortunately the sod rats are wiped out in my area.

gotlost I hate to admit it but I am not familiar with the Saratoga area other than it is very nice down there.

What about the campground east of Esterbrook? There is fishing close by, a couple of smaller dog towns I know of and the lodge is nearby but not sure if they offer lodging anymore. That I can check on.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
rnr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
elkhunter76 - WY
JacquesLaRami - WY
K Salonek - CO
wyoguide - WY
Snake RIver Marksman - WY

I'd be up for this too in spite of finding it a bit late.

As for locations, I like Thermop (yeah, I'm from WYO). A drive to Cody for the range wouldn't be that bad. Any of the state parks would have firearms restrictions, so I'd shy away. And I'd probably camp. There ought to be some BLM/public land for shooting, I'd rather find a place w/ a good back stop and shoot there.
anyway my 2c.

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Sherlock Holmes
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by gotlost; 12/11/09.

If you cann't stand my spelling use the ingore feature.

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gotlost

No that one is over on the Campbel Creek side. The campground I am referring to is just east of Esterbrook a couple of miles above Three Cripples Creek and Lower Horseshoe Creek.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
That is it but the USFS doesn't know east from west ! laugh Won't be large enough though frown

Last edited by elkhunter76; 12/11/09.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dose that surprize ya.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/mbr/recreation/camping/brushcreek/jackcreek.shtml

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/mbr/recreation/cabinrentals/jackcreekcq.shtml

these are a 1/2 mile apart. a number of gravel pits in the area to shoot at. Semnol to the north. and lots of brookies near by. hot springs in town.
May want to look at mid June due to snow.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Bigbuck:

I did as you suggested and looked at the website for the Cody range. It looks like there are lots of activities scheduled every weekend in May. A group of 35 people might not be all that welcome with all those activities already scheduled.

Jaques:

Are ther electric hookups for trailers at Glendo or Guernsey?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glendo is at the peak of walleye fishing about then and a very very large # of greenies (Coloradins) invade the area. Not that I don't like them. the place is packed. As for hookups there is at least 1 privite one that I know of.

About as many will be at Guernsey with all thier speed boats (it's lousy Fishing there).

Firearms will be a issue at both places.

Last edited by gotlost; 12/11/09.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KC

Bigbuck:

I did as you suggested and looked at the website for the Cody range. It looks like there are lots of activities scheduled every weekend in May. A group of 35 people might not be all that welcome with all those activities already scheduled.

Jaques:

Are ther electric hookups for trailers at Glendo or Guernsey?

KC

And if you want to, call "Greek" Stroh at 307-899-1098. He is the range officer and is pretty well on top of whatever goes on around there.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Cody Shooting Complex calendar is rather confusing. It looks like nearly every day something is going on.

If you look at June, there is the Wild West Shootout the week of the 7th. The rest of the time is open. What is on the schedule are the times the range is open more or less to the public.

http://www.codyshootingcomplex.org/Calendar%202010.pdf

I will call Greek and see what is available for camping and such.

David

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Paladin
The Cody Shooting Complex calendar is rather confusing. It looks like nearly every day something is going on.

If you look at June, there is the Wild West Shootout the week of the 7th. The rest of the time is open. What is on the schedule are the times the range is open more or less to the public.

http://www.codyshootingcomplex.org/Calendar%202010.pdf

I will call Greek and see what is available for camping and such.

David

Good on ya! I talked to Greek a day or two ago but due to my inability to understand clearly on the phone, I have no idea of what he said.

CYA

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I think you guys really need to look at the post gotlost put up about the Saratoga area.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I agree, you guys really need to scratch the Glendo idea. Lots of Colorado boaters, drunks and pretty much not a good time. Firearms are a big no-go as well. Large tickets....

Scratch Guernsey off the list as well. There will be no firearms shooting unless you are 400 yards from a road, parking area or trail (pretty much the entire damn park). Ask me how I know....

You may also want to consider having it in June if you are getting near any mountains. The last several years have been some cold and wet Mays. Memorial weekend the last few years have been cold and snow. Unless you like being trapped in a tent or trailer all weekend.

Last edited by wyoelk; 12/11/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of interest � good to see! I hope that you guys do it.

But that's 'way too far for what's left of The Ol' Phardt.

Nothing will come of mere expressions of interest and discussing the possible wheres. Nothing will come to pass unless ONE of you guys takes the bit in your teeth and sets a definite time and a definite place, early enough for others to decide whether they can make it and to make their plans accordingly.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What about around Douglas and/or the Thunder Basin Grasslands area?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is there such a thing as a private ranch that sells PDog hunts, close enough to a town with accomodations for those that want them, that might cut a group our size a good enough deal to make it worth our while (Pdogs and camping)?

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jnyork
Prairie dogs in the entire Red Desert basin and around Rawlins, Split Rock, Kemmerer areas are gone, plague got them a few years ago. Only a few scattered remnants remain, I have not shot any for three years now, the ones I see I leave for seed.

Originally Posted by elkhunter76

Pdogs from Glendo to Casper to Bill are gone due to plague.

Douglas has a nice shooting range but no other ammenities as far as camping. The KOA is full due to the lack of housing. The Grasslands have no facilities what so ever.

Either gotlost or I will check into the Saratoga USFS facility.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/mbr/recreation/camping/brushcreek/jackcreek.shtml

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/mbr/recreation/cabinrentals/jackcreekcq.shtml

these are a 1/2 mile apart. a number of gravel pits in the area to shoot at. Seminole Resevoir to the north and lots of brookies near by. hot springs in town.

Last edited by elkhunter76; 12/11/09.

Page 8 of 75 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 74 75

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,456 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,167
Posts18,484,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.