-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
as Rory says... the number/ letter combo is original... to check if your stock is correct to your gun... the number/ letters should match on the butt plate, stock , and when the stock is removed the same combo will be stamped on the left side of the lower tang. ALso, depending on the serial range... my experience is that the forearm should be stamped with it as well (or often something very similar +/- one letter or number, etc) up through the around 650,000 or so but will have to check my stats again to verify that.

After that the forearms and stocks are often completely different number/letter sequences but the forearms will often have the last digits of the serial written in chalk on them.

Here is where the stamping is located on the tang

[Linked Image]

stock with partial serial and stamping sequence also in chalk
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

and butt plate
[Linked Image]

didn't see any pics in my photobucket account of a forearm with the chalk...

Hope that was not confusing.

Andrew
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Drew, the stamping under the stock on the receiver can be anywhere, not just on the rear portion. I have found numbers stamped on the very thin back edge of the body of the receiver...!!!

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
You guys are tons of fun. What knowledge. I'll check the next time I have it apart....which may be this evening. God Bless, Marc

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
By jove, I think I've got it! Mad Dog, your suggestion ended up correct. I straightened the Lyman and the sight is on the gun, fitting perfectly. I also shifted the stock slightly downward as y'all suggested, and it may have made a small difference. I decided it was better to risk a sight base than it was to alter the gun. Yes, it was a risk, but came out great. I am now thinking that this sight may have had too much bow to begin with, as the last 99 it was on needed a shim to get it to work. Tonight I simply placed it on a pine 2x4 with the stem pointing upwards, heated it to "hot-to-the-touch", and tapped it with a piece of soft pine and a light hammer. The arch reduced. I kept trying and checking until I got it to fit my 99 with a sheet of paper able to slide between it and the wood with light drag. It's "free floated". :-) Unless you were looking for it, you'd never notice the sight was straightened. The two mount screws are down tight with no problems or shims. Whew. Nothing left now but to wipe the bore and go shoot. My sincere thanks to all, and especially Rick99 for his willingness to send me a longer mounting screw. You guys are swell. God Bless, Marc

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 260madman, 45 invisible), 2,149 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,269
Posts18,504,956
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.