[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-Bob F. smile

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Bob, hope the new year finds this great rifle back in Africa in your hands. Looking forward to the pics. Happy days!

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wow, thank you Sir,

and a fine prosperous New year to you and that Rifle.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
WOW. New to the forum and just found this thread! Awesome rifle! I remember seeing one of the Johnson's documentaries years ago!!!!!! This is simply how a rifle is suppose to be!! Wood and steel!!!!!

Kaywoodie

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just an update on the article about the rifle:

I've heard back from the gun writer that did the article about Osa's rifle. Be on the lookout for the new edition of Gun Digest (the annual book) which should be out in late July or so.

Here's the email I received today (I'm not revealing the gun writer's name at this time):

-------------------------------------
Sun, Apr 25, 2010

Bob,

Good hearing from you. The story and photos of the Osa rifle are at Gun Digest with the editor. I showed him some of the photos at SHOT and he seemed excited about it. I've not heard back from him since I sent my stuff, including the Osa piece, in to him, except for a short note telling me he had them and thanking me for sending them in. I may hear nothing further until the book comes out, probably in late July. Anyway, I'll let you know when I hear something further.
-------------------------------------

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
One other quick note:

I FINALLY brought the rifle home last Friday from my gunsmith's shop. wink smile It's in beautiful shape/condition IMHO. I'll try to find some time to take a few photos of it. I'm not a very good photographer but I will see what I can do.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i may have missed it along the way but can i ask how you went about finding this rifle for sale?
Something special about holding history in your hands.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I simply just stumbled across it. On another forum, someone started a thread showing the rifle for sale on one of the gun broker web sites. I went to the web site, looked at the listing, called the seller and bought it.

The strange thing was that I visited the Martin and Osa Johnson Safari Museum in Chanute, Kansas on November 22, 2008. I bought the rifle on December 10, 2008.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Bob - thanks so much for sharing the info on "your" rifle and more. I didn't know anything about the Osa and Martin Johnson. What an awesome life they lived!

If I ever get to the area, I'll visit the museum, and who knows... with luck maybe I'll hunt Africa a bit too...

Great stuff, amazingly good photos!

Regards, Guy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What a wonderful find. Can't wait to see the new pics. reflex264

[Linked Image]

.264 barrel current number of shots:2122
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mr. Faucett. I am hoping you do NOT in any way modify the Osa Johnson rifle. It's value is in who it belonged to and its condition in the shape it was when she owned it ANY, modification will destroy the collector value of it. If you even just drill and tap it, you have reduced it from being a collectible, interesting, rifle, for which you have what is called providence, to just another sporterized milirary mauser, worth about $295.00 at most gun shows. If you doubt this, go find the Mauser collectors site and ask there. I hate to see a wonderful firearm like this destroyed, values wise, by modifying it in any way. If you can't use it the way it is, either keep it for bragging rights, or sell it to someone who'll appreciate it. I hope you receive this before you do any modifications to the rifle. Modifications are like virginity, once taken, or in this case, done, can't be fixed, and destroys the value of the rifle.

Ghost
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
ghost,

Dude, chill out. I'm not an ignorant rube. What made you think I was going to modify it in any way? [Linked Image] I fully appreciate the importance of preserving a piece of history (and a valuable firearm).

It is also my intention to someday donate it to the Martin and Osa Johnson Safari Museum.

Both Terry Wieland and Dan Pedersen (of Classic Barrel and Gun works) have seen and handled the rifle since I acquired it. They both know a thing or two about collectible, original Oberndorf Mauser sporting rifles.

Oh, and by the way, it's provenance and not providence.

-Bob F.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Thank Christ there are still folks looking out for those of use less gifted..........

Still love this thread.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Steelhead,

I'm glad you're still enjoying the thread. smile

Cheers!! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ghost
Mr. Faucett. I am hoping you do NOT in any way modify the Osa Johnson rifle. It's value is in who it belonged to and its condition in the shape it was when she owned it ANY, modification will destroy the collector value of it. If you even just drill and tap it, you have reduced it from being a collectible, interesting, rifle, for which you have what is called providence, to just another sporterized milirary mauser, worth about $295.00 at most gun shows. If you doubt this, go find the Mauser collectors site and ask there. I hate to see a wonderful firearm like this destroyed, values wise, by modifying it in any way. If you can't use it the way it is, either keep it for bragging rights, or sell it to someone who'll appreciate it. I hope you receive this before you do any modifications to the rifle. Modifications are like virginity, once taken, or in this case, done, can't be fixed, and destroys the value of the rifle.

If your arrogant self would have taken the time ot actual READ this entire thread and Mr Faucet's coomentary about the rifle, you would see how UTTERLERLY assinine your post above truly is.

He showed a lot of grace and class in his reply. I would have told you to go soak your bloated head in a bucket of water.

Last edited by jim62; 04/30/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
All in all this has been a VERY classy thread. Right up there with few BEST I've read. And kudos to you Bob on your plans for Mrs Johnson's rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob
I too have enjoyed this thread, so much so in it's initial stages that you set me on a path of research. I have purchased tapes, books, and done much internet research on the couple. They were really unique people who lived a life most of us can barely dream about. To say Osa was ahead of her time is an easy trap to fall into. There were many "liberated women" who took the bull by the horns and did what was required when it was required. Amelia Erhardt gets much credit, but Osa was an accomplished pilot as well as "movie star" of her day.

Besides her early successes she continued into old age as a noted conservationist. To own, and then donate one of her rifles back to the museum honouring the couple is an admirable jesture. I applaud you.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
jim62,

Your reply to ghost brought a smile to my face and made my chuckle. grin Thanks for that!

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F. smile

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
medicman,

It warms my heart that this thread helped inspire you to learn more about the Johnsons. As you stated, they lived an exciting life. I've found my reading and research (at the layman's level) about them to be very interesting and enjoyable. And, IMHO, the story of their lives and deeds is simply fascinating.

If you haven't read it already, you might want to pick up a copy of "They Married Adventure" by Pascal James Imperato. It's probably one of the definitive biographies of the Johnsons. It's still in print [Publisher: Rutgers University Press (March 1, 1999)] and is available at Amazon.com and other places.

Cheers!! [Linked Image]
-Bob F. smile

[Linked Image]
Osa with George Eastman (founder of the Eastman Kodak Company and the inventor of roll film).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Eastman

[Linked Image]
A woman always wants to look her best; even when out in the wilds of Africa! Notice the rifle on the left.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hatari
Nice find. I started reading I Married Adventure just about a year ago, and finished it in two sittings. After that I grabbed [u]Bride of the Soloman's[/u. Fascinating!
This book can be had for $8.10 plus $2.95 shipping from the following site:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=2321415262&searchurl=an%3DOsa%2BJohnson%26sts%3Dt%26tn%3DI%2BMarried%2BAdventure%26x%3D0%26y%3D0

If you are into chick's with major league cahones, try West With the Night by Beryl Markham:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=Beryl+Markham&sts=t&x=16&y=5 That can be had for $3.62 shipped to you.

FYI - I've ordered hundreds of books from www.abebooks.com with no problems.

Last edited by kevinh1157; 05/01/10.

Kevin Haile
Page 8 of 22 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 204guy, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,303
Posts18,487,114
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.