Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

That is a Rem Sendaro stock

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Im still cant make up my mind what i want. I like the rum's because i know more about them i guess, and i like the lapua because its cool and few folks own them. I can assume that .338 is better than .300 at long distances due to bullet weight. I already hand load everything and have a bunch of 30 cal bullets. I guess adding 338 is not a problem and i have found they dont sell as quick and some are still on the shelf at the old pricing. lapua brass is expensive i know but how many times can it be loaded? i have the dough to buy but lack the marbles to determine what to buy. when i do though ill post pics...any suggestions on the optics i should run? keep in mind that i need something user friendly. my long range as of now is a 300 mag out to 400 yds with leupold vxiii 4-12x40ao

If the world didnt suck we would all fall off!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Nightforce is a great place to start for long range optics

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I realize the quality with NF and S&B, but wouldn't a 20x Leupy with turrets get the job done?

To most (including myself), I'm thinking 500-1000 would be their 'long range' definition. I realize there are some shots (recently the 1900+ yarder on a muley) longer, but one has to think that a scope less than 3 grand might get the job done....or am I way off base?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes it would get the job done,alot of guys use them for long range

Last edited by highridge1; 01/04/10.

1 and done
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes if your willing to sacrifice extreme dependability. I cant recall how much internal adjustment a vxiii has but it could be a factor necessitating a canted base. As far as optical quality I like the Leupold just as much as the NXS. I have never been overly impressed with nightforce glass. It is good glass just not overly impressed. Now nightforce internals have always impressed me. I have only had to send one back for not holding zero.

Originally Posted by hunt_ak
I realize the quality with NF and S&B, but wouldn't a 20x Leupy with turrets get the job done?

To most (including myself), I'm thinking 500-1000 would be their 'long range' definition. I realize there are some shots (recently the 1900+ yarder on a muley) longer, but one has to think that a scope less than 3 grand might get the job done....or am I way off base?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used S&B, NF, and Leupold for LR shooting with no complaints from any of them.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
My definition of long distance when i started this project was 700-800 yds but after reading some of the stuff you guys are pulling off i would love to shoot farther. i have the places to do it and with time and the right equipment i know i can pull it off. gosh, i spent forever looking at optics last night after i got the night force suggestion and still cant decide. i wish there were guys around here that shoot long distance like some of you do so i could see how your set ups are. man, i find a scope i want and then is magnification, then this, then that, then mil dot, then freakin varminter or big game reticle. i look at brass of this and that chambering, bullets, then stocks, then do i build one on a this or that receiver, or do i just buy a complete rifle minus optics...crap, i have a lot of rifle, mounts, optics, and stock decisions still yet....and YES its getting to me... can anyone tell..but its fun..THANKS guys for the input so far. it does help

O
O
I have owned 3 of the 5 calibers mentioned and might be able to offer some feedback. While I don't own and 338-378 or a 338 Ultra mag, I have owned and 300 ultra, a 338-300 Ultra and a 338 Lapua.

I will say that in my experience the 300 ultra is not the way to go when you are comparing it to the 338/330 Ultra (AKA 338 Edge) or the 338 Lapua and especially when you are looking for a true long range caliber. I am not saying it is not a good caliber but in my opinion it is not in the same league as the Edge or Lapua when it comes to long range work.

So with that said, I would say that between the Edge and Lapua there are pros and cons to both which most have been mentioned and it really comes down to cost of components for the most part. However in my humble opinion you get what you pay for and I have found the Lapua brass to be a better choice. You can't go wrong with either one of the 338's. I chose the Lapua in the end to get the better brass to eliminate as many variables as I could.

Here is my Lapua...

[Linked Image]

Here is an example of how she performs...

[Linked Image]

Here is a link to a video with another example of how she performs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWyOtb6ycLY

and yet another example of the Lapua's...

[Linked Image]

Here is a picture of my Edge...

[Linked Image]

The key here in my opinion is to get the best that you can and practice, practice, practice! You have narrowed it down to a couple of good choices. I would push you toward a 338 vs. a 30 cal cartridge but either way, you need to pick what you think will work best for you and practice, practice, practice. Spend your summer shooting and learning your rifles and your personal limitations before pursuing game in the field.

Good luck with your build!

Oneshot

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Im pretty sure that helps and i keep leaning toward the 338 lapua. I guess practice means more than anything especially for me cuz i have been used to 100-40yd shooting. im gonna have to get the wind speed thing down and all the factors involved. i see myself buying this thing and wondering how in the world im gonna use it but i need a challenge and as long as im squeezing the trigger once in a while im happy. who chambers 338 lapua in a good factory rifle? and are there any sites one can go to that helps with calculating wind speed and other factors and/or scope adjustments

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Any of you guys looked at the Allen Magnums? mtmuley

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
yep! looked and own three. wink

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
joecool, I had the privledge of shooting some of Kirby's rifles with a friend that was interested and wanted to purchase one. What a blast! Unbelievable rifles. Check out his new Raptor. mtmuley

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
yes he builds a nice stick.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

O
O
Originally Posted by 8updeerhunter
who chambers 338 lapua in a good factory rifle? and are there any sites one can go to that helps with calculating wind speed and other factors and/or scope adjustments

Yeah there are a few that chamber the 338 Lapua. I would encourge you to look in to a Sako TRG-42. Just make sure it is a recent build and it has the 1-10 twist barrel not the 1-12.

As for the tools to help you with reading the wind and making adjustments, nothing can top doing it and learning by shooting in the wind but you should plan to pick up a Kestrel and I would also look into a pocket PC and the Nightforce software.

O
O
Kirby builds an awesome rifle, a big Allem Mag is on my wanted list. Most likely the 338AM.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtmuley
..........Check out his new Raptor. mtmuley

Raptor?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The Raptor is an action

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by joecool544
yep! looked and own three. wink

Damnit your one up on me....but I started building my own and can't make myself pay Kirby to build another. frown

Which ones are you shooting? I have the 338AM and the 270AM, and I built myself a 7mm/338LM just because I could not force myself to let Kirby build me a 7MM AM.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

The Raptor is an action

Tango Mike!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 67 invisible), 2,803 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,415
Posts18,528,222
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.