Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Lee24
Open sights are the primary sight on most of my serious hunting rifles. Scopes are something to take along in QD mounts. In good light, open sights are all any good shot needs to 200 yards. In snow, rain, mist and fog, they are indispensable and a scope is rather useless.

hahahahahahaha! are you serious Liar24? DO you have irons on your SC made Model70? Can you share with us your DG hunting experience? Please post your douche-bag bogus comments elsewhere. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
For jorge and others who seem to be unfamiliar with the Winchester Model 70 African and Safari, they all come with iron sights. The later models (prior to Winchester shutdown in 2006) came with a nice NECG adjustable rear leaf and hooded front sight.

Unfortunately, the comb on the Model 70 is too high and thick for iron sights, being straight for scope sights.

The pre-64 stocks were a little better, and most actions in all calibers were drilled and tapped for aperture sights like the Lyman and Redfield.

I find it curious that some people are so fixated on Mauser controlled round bolt actions for dangerous game, yet don't have iron sights on their rifles, or are not competent enough with them to have any confidence in using them, even at relatively close ranges under 100 yards.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Josh,
Send me your email and you got a picture of me on a horse, and a good too! smile smile

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
YOu posted on this thread three days ago.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...78393/Fallen_Campfire_Member#Post3678393

What dots are you not connecting?

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For jorge and others who seem to be unfamiliar with the Winchester Model 70 African and Safari, they all come with iron sights.

Liar, unlike you, I actually OWN 70s (real ones not ficticious ones that were never manufactured in SC) and have actually taken African game with them on two safaris. Your statement scopes are unsuable in rain or light fog is about as ridiculous (and wrong)as the rest of your BS posts douche-bag. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
jorge, I just took you at your word that you were unfamiliar with iron sights on a Model 70. None of your Model 70s have iron sights? That's mighty odd. Did you buy them like that?

Scopes are not totally unusable in rain or fog - iron sights are just more usable, as long as you have decent eyesight. Besides, as I said before, who is going to take a first shot at dangerous game with a .375 or larger rifle at more than easy iron sight range (150 yards ) anyway? That's why scopes are a secondary sight for me. Just more needless weight on an rifle that is already heavy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Just more needless weight on an rifle that is already heavy."

I'd suggest you work on the kettlebells some more,....and run maybe 300 miles a day ( at a ground eating pace), as opposed to your current 250, Liar.

Imagine, ....the ICON of of Physical conditioning, whining about the weight of a scope.

"Scopes are not totally unusable in rain or fog -"

Hey, thanks for explaining that, us old NW coast / interior types have been totally in the dark, and going hungry just on that one point.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I don't need to carry an 11-lb magnum rifle with a large, useless German scope on it to impress anyone. Some of the insecure types may need to - or at least post that they do from mama's basement.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
HMmmmm,

Well,ln any event, thanks for cluing all of us "Trolls and Wannabes" in on the way this rifle bit works.

You're a real star.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If you get out and shoot a rifle with open sights, you could really have something worth posting.

That will make you feel better about yourself than posting silly insults and cheesecake photos for the 13-year-olds.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I am pretty sure everyone is forgetting Lee has bionic eyes and on command he can zoom in and out with only his eyes so scope are useless to him.

I invented the Bionic eye for lee.....your welcome.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If you think it takes bionic eyes to shoot game with open sights at 150 yards, you just need more practice.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
So you are saying you don't use them for shots under 150yds.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
jorge would know better as well as atchison, but i seriously doubt that guides in africa are letting clients take 150 yd. shots at cape buffalo. i am sure it is quite possible to get alot closer. and i really doubt that would want a client take that 150 yd. shot with iron sights. -keith

Clint Eastwood: "I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
all have irons...dope

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ohiohunter
jorge would know better as well as atchison, but i seriously doubt that guides in africa are letting clients take 150 yd. shots at cape buffalo. i am sure it is quite possible to get alot closer. and i really doubt that would want a client take that 150 yd. shot with iron sights. -keith

Depends on the client. I have friends who've taken them at over 200. With scopes. I took one at close to 80. jorge

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
jorge, you ask me what the sights on a Model 70 Safari are like, then say you own one that has iron sights.

Instead of playing word games, why don't you talk straight about the use of iron sights on DGR rifles?
If you don't use them, why do you have them on your rifle?

All these word games are like something from elementary school, by kids who couldn't discuss the subject, wanted to debate, but couldn't do that, either. Just talk about what you know, like a man.

For those who don't comprehend, I will spell it out:

In my opinion, if you can't hit a 6 inch spot 100% of the time offhand at 150 yards with iron sights, you need more practice before putting yourself in a position where you may HAVE to shoot. If you can do it, then a closer shot is that much easier.

If you haven't practiced on running game targets and running game, running away from you, at you, and to your left and right, then you really have no business putting yourself in a position where you may HAVE to shoot at running game.

My 2 cents. If you disagree, fine.
But state it plainly and politely, without the bluster and insults.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For those who don't comprehend, I will spell it out:

In my opinion, if you can't hit a 6 inch spot 100% of the time offhand at 150 yards with iron sights, you need more practice before putting yourself in a position where you may HAVE to shoot. If you can do it, then a closer shot is that much easier.

My God Man, get a clue.

You are off by 125 yards on the test.

At 150 yards, there is functionally ZERO chance of a charge.

Iron Sighted DG rifles are for STOPPING CHARGES at close range, not plinking grapefruits off some distant berm.

Further, this is a CLIENT rifle, the guide will have the stopping gun. The Client needs shot placement under Hunting Conditions, the Guide needs shot placement at Up CLose and Personal (i.e., Iron Sight) conditions.

Sheesh . . . . .

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 01/20/10.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't need to carry an 11-lb magnum rifle with a large, useless German scope on it to impress anyone. Some of the insecure types may need to - or at least post that they do from mama's basement.

Doood . . . .

Its like the pot calling the Kettel-bell black.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks for you armchair advice, BMT, but it sounds like a lack of experience and knowledge of shooting.

You seem to thinking about theoretical trajectory, not shooting skill.

The six inch target I referred to is not some input to your ballistics program, but an actual target a hunter must be able to hit every time offhand at 150 yards. At 50 yards, he needs to be able to hit 2 inches every time. The issue is not just shooting a charging animal, but shooting a wounded animal which is running away, or one which hold up and waiting for you, or one which is running past you as it charges another person when the hunting party is spread out.

If you are a poor shot, you can just wait until the animal closes the distance on you. Or, as some seem to prefer, depend upon your guide, hunting partners, or dumb luck to save you.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

427 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 22250rem, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 160user, 43 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,505
Posts18,472,261
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.