Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I had a nice cape gun with a three barrel set 2 12 gauge side by side and one cape.....sold it what was I thinking.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by fishdog52
My vote goes to a Rem model 7 in 308 under a 4x scope. With ball ammo it remains very accurate & with 180 gr Fail Safes, pretty dangerous. Never shot any of the saboted 22 Accelerators, but they might round out the picture. What would it not work for?

1. Not that well as some rifles when unloading a hot chamber.
2. Birds if they fly.
3. Rabbits if they run.
4. Squirrels in a tree.
I could think of some more relevant to the woods roaming that I have done in VT and nearby states.

As others have mentioned the season and what game is up at bat matters much. For general use I like a drilling. Its shotgun barrels are the equal of any for upland game and the one I have rifled in 8mm is good for medium game.

A combination gun would be very good also. Whats also fun is just getting the most out of what you have with you. It might mean passing up some shot.

[Linked Image]
7 pounds, 24" barrels, 4X Hensolt, 1X Weaver.

[Linked Image]

This seems perfect to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Francis Sell commonly used the term "woods loafers" in his writing. In fact his 1964 book, "The Deer Hunter's Guide" is dedicated to "woods loafers", as well as trappers and Indians that he had hunted with. His favorite walking rifle was indeed a 25-20 lever gun.

I have used Marlin levers in several calibers for walking guns: 25-20, .357, .44, and 30-30. They carry very easy. Where I walk I frequently get shots at ground squirrels with an occasional jack rabit or coyote.

I carry my snub-nose .38 in my back pocket most of the time, too. There is always the possibility of running into something rabid. Possibilities also include armed pot-growers, feral dogs, mountain lions, bears, and rattlesnakes. I feel rather naked if I am in the big outdoors with nothing but a pocket knife.

But my all-time favorite walk-about rifle is my Savage 1920 bolt gun in 250-3000 loaded with 75 gr V-Max bullets. The "mini-Springfield" weighs only six and a half pounds with the scout scope attached. The stock is very trim and the gun is accurate enough that it has taken dozens of ground squirrels at around 100 yards. It is much harder to hit a ground squirrel with the lever guns.

With the 250 Savage I wouldn't feel under-gunned going up against the bigger animals, yet it is wonderful on the squirrels that make up 95 percent of my actual targets. I use rather light loads in the old gun and usually don't feel the need for hearing protection when I shoot it on my walks. It was well worn when I got it 20 years ago and I bet it has more miles in the woods than I do.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Perhaps a shotgun/rifle OU of dreiling.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
I had a nice cape gun with a three barrel set 2 12 gauge side by side and one cape.....sold it what was I thinking.

A nice Cape Gun was exactly what I was thinking.... Merkel makes one, for example. (As one example of a new production gun.) I think I would take the Merkel model 240 cape gun in 7x65R Brenneke (or maybe 8x57JRS) and 20 ga.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Cape gun is good, drilling is better. My favorite lately is a 12x12x.30-30 Sauer/Daly hammer drilling (about a century old), partly because it can be opened, cocked, etc. without making any noise. Thus a cast-bullet handload can be substituted for a normal 170-grain jacketed load. It also has a flip-up tang aperture sight so it very accurate out to 150+ yards. And the shotgun barrels can be loaded with birdshot in one side and buckshot or slug in the other. Can't get more versatile than that.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would like to own a drilling one day. It sounds like a great answer to the question.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
for all you american's.
a drilling is the correct answer.
12ga x 12ga x 30-06.
in the right tube of the shotgun, put an einstecklauf (sp?) or single shot barrel of your caliber of choice, if i remmber correctly they can be had in 22lr up and maybe bigger than a 5.6x54r magnum.

now this all from a long time ago when i hunted in germany, so i stand to be corrected.
anyways, say you put a 222 in it. when you screw the 2 parts together in the barrel and tighten them together , there are 2 screws, 1 will go up the other to the side, this moves the poi for that insert barrel.
sight your main large caliber in say at 100 yards, and the smaller one by using the screws to move the poi, at maybe 50.
now you have a shotgun, small caliber rifle and a large game caliber all in 1 rifle and all shooting the the same aiming point.

heavy, sorta, clubby, kinda, but 1 gun to rule them all !

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
While I still had decent eyesight it was a M94 Marlin in 25-20M(WCF), 24" tapered oct. barrel and a Williams 5D peep shooting cast bullets.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have Mod 99's in .250Sav and .243Win. I have a Win Mod 94 16" Wrangler in .32Win. I have a Ruger Mod 77 full stock carbine in .243. Any of them would work for the woods carry described. I think that a 16" Taurus Thunderbolt pump or Mod 92 lever in the .327Fed would sure trip my trigger.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mudhen
Win 94, .25-35.

+1.... I have 4 of them....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Mule Deer,

A cape gun is what came to mind for me because from my reading it is lighter to carry than a drilling. I have never owned either so perhaps you could add some info.

Is there a substantial difference in weight or in handling between the two? Also the cape gun and drilling pictures I've seen reflect a higher quality gun than the combination guns like the savage that some posters mentioned.

Thanks, Norm

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Whitebird
Originally Posted by mudhen
Win 94, .25-35.

+1.... I have 4 of them....

Discerning gentlemen provide the answer. smile

I only have one, so far, but I've had it a while.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The Rossi 92 in 357 I pictured on pg #1 weighs 7 lbs 4.6 oz as you see it. That includes the sling, the camo tape, and 19 rounds loaded with 1600 fps, 190 gr cast bullets. That's hard to beat as a woods loafer rifle. You guys packing a 12 lb rifle + a backpack + whatever won't walk far from your truck. Not at my age, anyhow...

Last edited by Junior1942; 01/26/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
doubletap,

I am certainly not Mule Deer but just old. However since I have had and used the drilling for a long time, well let me have a say.

The J.P.Sauer&Sohn,Suhl drilling of mine weighs 6.5 lbs. Its barrels are 23.75" long. This is a lightweight gun that balances as well or better (in my view) than any gun I have. Its not even heavy with its 4X Hensoldt Dural-Dialytan scope that weighs 3/4 lb with its claw mounts.

I use it mostly with no scope however I shot a buck with it and that was with the scope on it.

I have handled cape guns and one would be just about as good as a drilling in terms of having a rifle there. It would be, of course just a single shot shotgun. This drilling handles better, as a shotgun, than any gun I have. I have other doubles including Bernadelli.

I would get whichever one I could first. I would have no problem with a 2 barrel combination gun. Heck I want both too! There is a recent post here on the net of a gentleman who showed pictures of a wolf he shot with his combination gun. If I can find the link I will post it as the pictures and story are great.

Look at it this way, you get three guns not just one so right off thats a 66% discount!

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My 16 gauge under 8mm rimmed is a beautiful, lovely thing, but the Savage .30-30 over 12 is my loafing gun. Virtually indestructable, acccurate, great deer rifle with 125 grain ballistic tip loads, and a 3 inch Brenneke slug will discourage just about anything. I also always carry three solids for the .30-30. They look silly, but they will plow through a lot of bone and muscle at fifty yards. Throw in my S&W 4" barreled .22 revolver and a small folding knife and I am ready for a great day in the boonies.

Terery

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bluesman knows!

That Savage can take some wear and not worry. Thats a good idea there bluesman and they can't cost all that much. On some other post a Baikal combination gun was mentioned.

I like the idea of the .22 pistol as well and carry a Woodsman however just the combination gun alone is a lot of flexibility.

Combination gun story

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
doubletap,

As Savage 99 already suggested, the weight and handling of a drilling as opposed to a Cape gun depends on the individual gun. In general, most Cape guns aren't as high qualiy as most drillings (though there are certainly exceptions to that) and many Cape guns were often built pretty stoutly, since they were meant to be used hard.

I have three drillings, and the heaviest (a recent model Sauer 12x12x.30-06) weighs 7 pounds 6 ounces, if I recall correctly, without the scope, or just about the same as my older hammer Sauer/Daly 12x12x.30-30. But I also have an old hammer drilling in 16x16x9.3x72R that weighs under 7 pounds.

German combinations guns are often lighter than either drillings or Cape guns. My wife Eileen has a nifty little pre-WWII German O/U 16/9.3x72R that weighs around 6 pounds without the scope, and even with the scope weighs under 7 pounds.

The Savage O/U combo guns do make pretty good woods-loading guns, as my friend Bluesman points out. In fact one of the very first firearms I bought when a teenager was a Savage 20/.22 magnum and I shot a pile of game with it over the years. But eventually I got tired of only having a single-shot shotgun, and started acquiring drillings. Of course I could afford a little more gun by then....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
This one:

[Linked Image]

Or, this one:

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A modernized Remington 25 carbine in 357 Max would be a pretty cool walkabout rifle too! Make mine alone the lines of the 14 1/2 carbine, with a curved buttplate, pistolgrip stock, and full-length magazine tube. Maybe with an integral Weaver style base, like the IMI Timberwolf pump guns, but with a pistolgrip stock.

Jeff

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,190
Posts18,523,946
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.