Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I received a call from the Montana FWP yesterday informing me that I was "drawn" for a late season antlerless elk damage hunt. I've heard mixed reviews about one of these hunts that usually takes place every winter down the Madison Valley, and I am not interested in dodging hot lead just to get a cow.

Any members have any experience (good or bad) with these management/damage hunts? I was told it will take place on a private ranch in unit 393 from Sat-Mon, I'm guessing near the Bridger foothills or Bangtails area. I did not harvest an elk during the regular season, so a young cow would really help the freezer situation!

"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends upon the character of the user" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to drive by big herds of elk on private land (next to the highway/Madison River) to hunt the publicly-owned land in "the hills." You could go to the ranchers and pay them to kill one of the many elk there, or you could climb the mountains to try your luck on the public land. I had a lot of fun hunting the public land, but I thought it was weird to drive by so many nice elk right there next to the highway, standing around, looking at us cars drive by. I think your hunt would be a matter of going to a ranch and shooting whatever is legal. They probably taste much like the public land elk. smile

There are many copies.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was told it will take place on a private ranch in unit 393 from Sat-Mon, I'm guessing near the Bridger foothills or Bangtails area.

That's about 100 miles from the Madison Valley.

From what I understand of this "hunt" is that you're right about it being on a ranch on the West side of the Bridger's or in Bridger Canyon. A friend was drawn for one of these tags a few years ago, and told me that he went to a certain ranch, and shot a cow from a herd that was eating the rancher's haystack.

No dodging bullets from other hunters, probably just you, maybe another hunter or two, the rancher, and maybe a game warden. Shoot straight, and your freezer will be full.

I put in for that same tag, but I guess my name is too far down the list. I forgot about the whole thing.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I am well aware of of the where the Madison Valley is ;), I was only using as reference because I have heard of a large ranch that oftens holds damage hunts in that unit.

I sorta forgot about it myself, I remembered putting in for the deer damage hunts, but an elk will work too!

"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends upon the character of the user" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The list of names for the damage,(from MFWP), hunt is made available to ranch managers for the damage hunt.
The ranch managers usually call you.
Here in the upper Madison, it has been so mild most all of the elk have remained in the hills, up high.
So no elk lower on the ranches, damaging anything, and so no real damage hunt.
And there is not a crowd harvesting those damaging elk, usually just a couple of shooters each day.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Montana PH
I have ben with a friend on one of those control hunts and the one I was on was very well managed. It's certainly not a wilderness hunt in the Bob Marshall, but it's an ethical, legal and fun way of getting an elk in the freezer. I'd damn sure go if I were you.

Fred Royce

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMO the game damage hunts in the Madison have gotten mucho better in the last couple of years. In terms of how much of a rodeo it can be. Now when they had the extended hunts there was a lot of rodeoing going on on the flats (and that emcompassed quite a few ranches and not so much the big one that just got sold by the way).

The state land down that way has been a real joke as well IMO..

It sounds like your hunt is north of Boze and I think it'll be a lot better and fairly controlled. I know quite a few ranchers in that area and think you'll have a good trip and should fill the freezer.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The "Rodeo" as Dober calls it, is sort of what I have heard about in the past when the elk come off the Madison range.

I am waiting for the contact call or info in the mail today or tom. Hopefully it will be a more low-key harvest, I'd love to take along my wife(she's not really the backcountry type...yet grin ).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, Dober, did you sell the Sun Ranch this time? Last I heard, the asking price was $42 million--probably a pretty good commission there...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MontantPH, I wasn't trying to imply that you didn't know where the Madison Valley is. I wrote that mainly to show others here on the forum that your hunt area was not near the Madison Valley.

Also, my mistake about your hunt happening on the west side of the Bridgers. That's area 312 where I applied. I've hunted a friend's land in the north end of 393, and when I first read your post, I was thinking that 393 was west of the Bridger Canyon Road.

Shoot a good one. smile

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
MontanaPH: I hope you have a great and rewarding Hunt during this damage control thingy!
I personally REFUSE to partake in these "RUN THE GAUNTLET" and "FIRING LINE" type Hunts!!!
The neccessity for these "Hunts" is caused by ranchers who won't allow Hunters on their places in the regular season and the Elk NOW herd up on private ranches and not neccessarily the ranches that do not allow the Hunting in regular Hunting seasons!
Reason #2 for these damage control Hunts is the vast over-population of Wolves that have the Elk (in the last 7 to 10 years - depending on the area!) completely stressed out and all out of the norm for the time of year and relating to weather (snow) conditions!
Out of the norm being they are where the Wolves hesitate to caper!
Result "damage control Hunting"!
I drove by a traditional Elk wintering area just 3 days ago and in this area where normally 1,200 to 1,800 Elk normally passively spend the winter (no matter what the conditions!) on sun bathed open ridges there were only 350 Elk - and Wolf tracks did abound there!
Some miles from there on private ranches the Elk were hanging near corrals and ranch houses!!!
Result "damage control Hunting"!
This situation (damage control Hunts - Elk where they shouldn't be in mild conditions!) is way out of the decades long norms I am familiar with!!!
Again best of luck to you on your Hunt but I refuse to perpetuate this new F&G situation where Elk Hunting in SW Montana MOSTLY consists of "FIRING LINES" and "RUNNING THE GAUNTLETS" type "Hunting"!
Thats NOT Hunting in my book!
And I let the F&G folks know of my dissatisfaction every chance I get!
With as mild a winter as were are having there should be NO [bleep] reason what so ever for an ELK "damage control Hunt"!!!
The artificial reason for this Hunt is the transplanted Canadian Wolves have them stressed and moved onto private areas!
PERIOD!
Again best of luck to you
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
VarmintGuy, thank you for wishes of luck. I think if you re-read my original post, I referred to this as a "harvest", I myself do not consider this a "hunt" in the true sense of the word.

I also support the control of the wolf problem that has begun to devastate animal numbers and create disarray in the wintering and migration habits of elk and deer herds in certain parts of the state.

The reason I started this read was to get feedback from those who have had experience with these mgmt harvests because I too have heard tales of the "firing line" style depredation "hunts", which I was not at all interested in. I was able to speak with the FWP manager in charge of this mgmt operation as well as the ranch owner. This particular scenario is limited to 10 people max spread over 3 days.

I don't necessarily blame ranchers or a lack of hunter access for these types of hunts though. This particular ranch is located at the foothils of the northern Bridgers and Belt mountains (areas with plenty of snow and not a large number of wolves compared to other areas). Most of these elk spend the fall in mountains being hunted by the masses on pulic land, only to be forced down to private land by weather after the seasons end.

I clearly understand some of your frustrations with the situation, thanks for the feedback!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
...I refuse to perpetuate this new F&G situation where Elk Hunting in SW Montana MOSTLY consists of "FIRING LINES" and "RUNNING THE GAUNTLETS" type "Hunting"!...
...With as mild a winter as were are having there should be NO [bleep] reason what so ever for an ELK "damage control Hunt"!!!

Please let MontanaPH et al. fill their freezers with meat in peace. No one is trying to "perpetuate" anything, and your opinion on the intricacies of ungulate biology and population dynamics is just that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damage control hunts are conducted much the same way in Colorado.
Numbers are drawn. Hunts go out 2 maybe 3 days per week at the most. One hunter hunts per day, 2 at the max.

"RUNNING THE GAUNTLET" and "FIRING LINES" are fiction.

In Southern Colorado there are no wolves. The agricultural damage occurs in the total absense of wolves.

The hunts must be planned nearly a year in advance. Weather in any one given year has nothing to do with it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The way things are going in my area, elk may be tough to hunt or "harvest" for the unforseeable future. Good luck filling the freezer. mtmuley

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mudhen
So, Dober, did you sell the Sun Ranch this time? Last I heard, the asking price was $42 million--probably a pretty good commission there...

Mudhen, just curious, how'd you hear about the sale?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Alamosa: IF you are foolish enough to believe that much of the Elk Hunting here in SW Montana (where over 50% of all of Montanas Elk ARE harvested by the way!) has NOT been reduced to firing line and running the gauntlet type Hunting then you simply are ignorant of which you are trying to speak!
I live here!
I KNOW what is going on!
I Hunt here virtually year round and I see these things as fact!
Just consider this case in point for your consideration/information!
I and an Elk Hunting partner were traveling from one huge valley to another on October 29th 2,009, when we drove through a huge cattle ranch around noonish.
There had been a herd of 800 Elk hiding on the adjacent ranch for the first several days of the season with an accompanying HOARDE of road Hunters just lurking about and waiting for the Elk to come off of the adjacent ranch onto property that could be Hunted.
There were over 40 fresh gutpiles within 100 yards of the country road and fenceline between these two ranches!
For some reason the Elk decided to make a break for it and the resulting gauntlet and firing line ensued!
Does that evidence/observation not sound like like a firing line to you?
We were to later learn that many citations (arrests) were made there for folks "jumping the gun" and firing at Elk in the gravel road and for using walkie talkies to Hunt and direct Hunters and for "hunters' shooting more than one Elk and etc etc etc!
Yeah I guess maybe those VISIBLE from the road gutpiles just came down from the "high country" and deposited themselves along that "firing line, "gauntlet"!
I know personally and fish with one of the butchers/butcher shop owners here in Dillon, Montana - he told me that the wardens brought him more confiscated Elk this year than in ANY previous year!
Firng lines and gauntlets were the big culprits here.
The game wardens and County Sheriffs have actually been closing certain roads here in SW Montana to prevent these firing line and running the gauntlet scenarios and to prevent the Hunters from shooting each other and livestock on the flat valley floors. For the last three seasons this has occurred.
They actually post notices in the local papers of these "firing line" road closures and the high Sheriff uses this emergency power under the public safety statutes!
If you think this situation is fiction there Alamosa YOU have another think coming!
And try to make your next "think" one that is based on reality!
I again re-iterate that those Elk would not be where they were at that time of the year if it were not for the Wolves harassing them and if it were not for some ranchers and private property owners not allowing reasonable Hunts to prevent these congregations of Elk on agricultural and private lands!
If you know not of what you speak you probably should not speak there Alamosa!
And this is just one of MANY disgusting scenarios I am privey to!
My good friend Ross Carmen from the Bitterroot Valley of Montana came over here for the opening long week of Elk Hunting with two friends. They brought two vehicles and a camp trailer. They set up two days before season and scouted the Elks "normal haunts".
NO Elk were seen in the "normal haunts" but they did learn of the huge numbers of Elk "hiding" on some ranches on the valley floors!
They investigated and were amazed having not seen Elk on the valley floors for the openers of some previous past seasons.
Then late on the second day of a planned 9 day Hunting trip all three HUNTERS were so sickened by the "roadside and fenceline slaughters" of Elk that they packed up and drove the 180 miles back to their homes!
The game wardens here in SW Montana now have "robo-Elk" that they set up along fencelines and in the area of firing lines and they pick off road (i.e. firing line and gauntlet) Hunters by the score!
Their bail forfeitures are cited in the local paper hereabouts all season and well after the season once their cases are adjudicated!
You are also wrong on infering that damage control Hunts are planned a year in advance here in SW Montana (the land of firing line and gauntlet type Elk "Hunting"!)!
They are NOT!
Last year (2,008 season) on just a few days notice the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks extended the Elk Hunting season in many of SW Montanas Game Management Areas!
If I recall correctly the already LONG season was extended 2 full weeks!
Again if you don't know what you are talking about you probably should not contribute!
I hope the Wolves never take hold in Colorado and I hope Colorado is never reduced to firing lines and gauntlet type Hunting but unfortunately this is a recent fact of life here in SW Montana!
There still is NO climatalogical reason for a "damage control Hunt" here in SW Montana - we are having an unusually warm winter and last I heard we were 20% behind in snowpack - that was 3 weeks ago and no snow to speak of has fallen since!
We might be 25% or 30% behind by now?
"RUNNING THE GAUNTLET" and "FIRING LINES" are for real dude and that, like YOUR ignorance, is a shame!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
...You are also wrong on infering that damage control Hunts are planned a year in advance here in SW Montana (the land of firing line and gauntlet type Elk "Hunting"!)!
They are NOT!
Last year (2,008 season) on just a few days notice the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks extended the Elk Hunting season in many of SW Montanas Game Management Areas!
If I recall correctly the already LONG season was extended 2 full weeks!
Again if you don't know what you are talking about you probably should not contribute!

Forgive me if I'm incorrect, but game damage hunts and an extended elk season are two entirely different things are they not? I am quite sure that they are separate processes determined by unique sets of criteria.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mudhen

Thanks.

Always surprises me how well known that particular ranch is...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 63 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,136
Posts18,502,721
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.