Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
bbgun1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
From bouncing around on several sites I've noticed a couple of common complaints on the Cz452/3 rifles. 1. the cleaning rod scrape- two sources ejector either use a guide or modify your ejector block like a BRNO (see photo) and the sear use a clothes pin or spring clip to hold the trigger back by clipping it to the trigger guard. this will get the sear out of the way -I still like a 17 rod even then. 2. feeding problems- the first thing to check is to see how tight the mag is . It should have a little movement to it (slack)not be solid . Check the mag well ( too tight)and the mag catch(can be too long-replace or file down) I have put metal mag wells in all mine. Thats my 2 cts. any way.
[img]http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt166/blknwhte1/008-1.jpg[img]
BRNO Mod 2 ejector plate notice the bevel on the inside of the ejector

Last edited by bbgun1; 02/10/10.
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I dumped my 452 Lux at a loss because of the backward safety. If I had tried one first I could have saved myself a lot of money and grief. Why train backwards from every other centerfire hunting rifle I have?

If it wasn't for that, it would have been fantastic with some trigger work or a better trigger.

Should there be a fix for the bass-ackwards safety, I'd buy another one. I really like the fit of the euro stock on the Lux and the sights are perfect.

Last edited by MERWIN; 02/11/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep the backward safety is strange but since I'm lefthanded I machined a new lever, welded it to the old lever and now my safety is on the left and it pushes FORWARD to fire.

Perfect!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
nsaqam,

That's a great mod but I don't have what it takes to do it myself. Having the lever on the left side is even an advantage to a right-hander since it's more natural when the thumb wraps over the grip. You'll see this on older Mauser sporters converted to 2-position low safeties. The lever is on the left for a reason.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine is a real PIA, seems to always shoot in the same hole, dam thing. As for cleaning, well I dont clean 22 barrels, so that is a non issue for me.

I think the CZ is the finest 22 on the market for the money hands down and buy a looooooong way too.

Kinda like a Fountain cigarette boat, throttles are on the left vs the right, aint no big deal either.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B2

bbgun1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Brownell's used to carry a reverse safety( back for safe) for the CZ's I started to get one for my BRNO Mod 2 but I didn't. This sounds like a good aftermarket part for someone to make- I got use to it but most of the time I'm shooting off the bench so its a non-issue

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by passport

I think the CZ is the finest 22 on the market for the money hands down and buy a looooooong way too.

+10000

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Safety doesn't bother me, but it'd be nice if you could mount the scopes lower, especially the 527's without having the bolt modified.

Life is just one damned thing after another
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bbgun1: I refuse to buy any of the very accurate CZ products with the bassackwards safeties on them!
PERIOD!
Its unsafe for me and those around me!
PERIOD!
But I have this suggestion if YOU decide to try one.
Point #1 of your concerns: CZ 452/3's CAN be cleaned either with a "bore snake" or simply clean it from the muzzle - like this: take the brush off of your cleaning rod and run the rod from the muzzle to the breech - once the rod is in the breech or out the front of the action attach your bore brush or other tip and drag the rod back out the muzzle.
I mean how often needs a CZ 452 in 22 rimfire caliber or etc, need be cleaned?
I have used this "muzzle end cleaning" for many decades on auto's and levers with NO adverse effects. Should do the same for the CZ's and whatever is being "scraped".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Bbgun1: I refuse to buy any of the very accurate CZ products with the bassackwards safeties on them!
PERIOD!
Its unsafe for me and those around me!
PERIOD!

You have every right to exercise your preference but as for me, being left handed, I often have to use differently operating safeties. Some of my Rem 870 style safeties have been switched to the opposite side and some haven't particularly on borrowed weapons. I make it a point to know what I'm carrying and also NEVER NEVER point my muzzle where it shouldn't be.
I don't feel as if I'm being unsafe in any way no matter the type of safety I'm using.

Also being LHed I have a hard time feeling bad for a RHer who must work on their safety to get it to work as they wish. With a simple mod like the one I described earlier in this thread the CZ safety can work exactly the way you're used to.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The triggers take a bunch of rounds to get personality. Even with that, they shoot bulk ammo in dime size groups at 100y in the ones I have. I liked the metal magazines best, the plastic ones work well (they both empty fast).

I like the old v22 Weaver rimfire scopes with the low rings that mount just over the barrel on the CZ's. The CZ rings height is to high for standard scope sizes.

The iron sights work very well, the play buckhorn and the military style range adjustable.

The first one I bought was a Scout model, must have a few thousand rounds through this one, even with a $30 real old low power scope, it shoots great.

bbgun1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey. I did not start this thread to bash CZ . I just was commenting on what"problems" I had heard come up. The safety is not a problem - once engaged it locks the striker- very positively- if you can't remember which way to flip it -You need to work on it -there are lots of types of safetys out there they all work differently- I can see where the safety issue might come up Bear or Elephant hunting but I don't worry about a charging Squirrel. The Euro style ( hog back) stocks were designed for Iron sights the American and Varmint are made for scope use. the older scopes seem to be easier to mount since they are do not have the big thick A O's and power rings now on the newer scopes. The only problems I have with CZ's is finding money to spend on them then finding a source for what I want- have you tried to find a 452 FS 22LR lately?? or an American Maple stock or a 453?? I never clean a bolt gun from the muzzle. I clean my 22's very infrequently I think more 22's are harmed by poor cleaning methods than not cleaning them at all. the trigger's do wear in better but a better solution is go to GB and look for 452 trigger - Yodave kit=$18. it has 4 springs and spacers - you can get a great trigger with them.

Last edited by bbgun1; 02/13/10.
bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Since about 1/4 of my rifles have hammers, I find no problem adapting to the CZ safety. Pull back to fire.

Bruce

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I don't chamber a round until I am ready to shoot. The safety is rarely used.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I've had ejection issues with a couple 452's, they would extract the spent case OK but would just flip it straight up into the bottom of the scope then about half the time settle down in the ejection port and I would have to flip it out by hand, for this reason I haven't bought another 452, also I never was really in awe of the accuracy I got out of the three or four I tried. If your talkin a "for the money" rifle I guess they would be hard to beat, I do know several other brands that are better shooters but as with most stuff you get what you pay for, and rimfires are no exception.....................547.

bbgun1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
547 you might try this, it works for some. cut a shim from a coke can to fit under the rear of the ejector plate If one doesn't work try two You can also modify the ejector to be more like the Brno Mod. 2 there is a small bevel on the inside edge [Linked Image]

Last edited by bbgun1; 02/16/10.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by the_shootist
I don't chamber a round until I am ready to shoot. The safety is rarely used.

Especially with a rimfire. A guy don't need to be packin' a hot 17HMR through the gopher patch!

I'm not sure if I've ever actually used the safety on my 452.

And about the only complaint I have is the finish on the stock. Mine has a couple little chips in it, seems to 'ding' easily. That and the trigger was creepy, easy fix though.

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/16/10.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Thanks for the advice BB, I would certainly try your fix but I no longer have a 452, I sent My last one down the road a couple years ago, but I do appreciate you trying to help.................547.

D
DMW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have a couple of CZ's in varying forms and I agree that they are the best bang for the buck, even at their current prices. I'm not going to comment much on their accuracy because i mainly plink with mine using bulk ammo, but i will say that it does faily well considering.

As far as some of the issues that have been mentioned, the only one that i've experienced was feeding from the magazine and that was only in a 452 chambered in 22wmr (super easy & free mag follower tweek). Except for the initial cleaning, I don't clean the barrel on my 452, just wipe down the exterior and clean the action. When and if it ever comes time to clean the barrel, i would use either a .17 cleaning rod or a bore snake (a .22 bore shake is still pretty tight)

Personally, I don't think the way the safety swings is a big deal, and as someone else mentioned there are several different types out there, so i don't think there is a "wrong" one. The CZ 452/3 safety is very positive (locks the bolt and striker) and once your used to it (takes maybe 5 seconds), it becomes usually becomes a moot point...but if you don't own one i can see it being a "issue".

The one thing i keep in mind especially since i've had it happen to me, is this: No matter the gun, a safety is a mechanical device that will fail...you are the safety.

DW

Last edited by DMW; 02/16/10.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
SamOlson: I can see neither one of you two have ever been Hunting in a "Gopher Patch" - or if you were you forgot what goes on there!
Have either of you "experienced" Gopher Patchers ever spotted a Gopher - chambered a round - and as you were taking up the poundage in the trigger have said Gopher duck down into his hole OR deep grass?
I have!
About 10,000 times - AT LEAST!
Yeah your armament NEEDS a safety ESPECIALLY when Hunting Colony Varmints - one that won't have a built in backwardness that may confuse the user!
Try to remember back to actually Hunting Gophers and this scenario I have described may BECOME familiar to you?
Sheesh.
USE YOUR SAFETIES!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,962
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.