Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
gitano Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I did not find a "poll" option on the editor, so please forgive the clumsiness of creating a poll in a thread.

I am interested in the ACTUAL practices of ACTUAL reloaders regarding some elements of reloading. Please only reply if you are a reloader and you ARE using/not using the practices I list below. There's nothing nefarious going on, nor are there any "hidden agendas". I'm not a lawyer and this has nothing to do with "business" of any sort. It's simply a discussion among a few friends regarding what to tell folks considering getting into reloading.

In the context of "full disclosure":

I am not particularly "fond" of those that practice one thing, and tell others to "do" something else. I find this behavior all too common among our nation's lawmakers, as well as among MANY reloaders. They are very quick to tell others how they are supposed to behave, but don't come close to that behavioral standard themselves. In the case of advising those new to reloading, or contemplating starting reloading, I think such "advice" is discouraging and ultimately harmful. (Just as the same behavior is harmful when our legislators practice it.)

So here's the first pair of questions:

I WEAR SAFETY GLASSES EVERYTIME AND ALL THE TIME I AM PERSONALLY RELOADING.

I USE SAFETY GLASSES DURING SOME OPERATIONS OF MY PERSONAL RELOADING.

I NEVER WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN I RELOAD.

Now, I'm NOT suggesting that safety glasses aren't a "good idea' FOR THOSE THAT WANT TO USE THEM. What I am "opposed to" is telling a newby that they "HAVE" to get a pair of safety glasses if they intend to reload, and if they don't, they are being "irresponsible" and they are "hurting all of us in the shooting community". Frankly, the last phrase annoys the hades out of me.

Again, in the context of "full disclosure":
I have been reloading for exactly 45 years, six months and four days, and I have never once worn a pair of safety glasses while reloading. Futhermore, I have used for more than 40 years, that "dangerous device" the automatic primer tube on the RCBS press. I have all my fingers and toes and faculties, and have never been to or needed to go to the emergency room. Neither has there EVER been a need for "safety glasses" at my reloading bench. Also, I about as far from a "vanilla" reloader as you can get, having worked up thousands of loads for wildcats, and duplesx and triplex loads for all sorts cartridges.

So, IF YOU RELOAD, I'm interested in WHAT YOU ACTUALLY DO, not what you THINK every body else should do. IF YOU DON'T RELOAD but you are the OSHA representative for your union shop, please save your opinions for a thread you start.

Thanks for your time and honesty.

Paul

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't wear safety glasses while reloading in 40 years I have had one primer pop. Can't say that it was dangerous as it is housed completely in the die.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

BUT my reading glasses are also safety glasses so it is no big deal.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Here I am all ready to put up a mess o'.32 long wadcutters.

[Linked Image]

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I have never wore safety glasses during reloading. I've reloaded shotgun since age 8 and rifle the last 10 years or so.

I do need reading glasses lately for some operations though.

Kent

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I cook bacon in the nude.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Steelhead

TMI

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Call me suspicious, but I just feel there is "something" more to this post, something hiding in the background.

So.... I do what I do. I am responsible for my own actions. I won't ask you to do it the same way, and expect the same in return.

G
gitano Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks noKnees. I appreciate that, sincerely. I am truly trying to find out what the "community" actually does.

Also... thanks to levrluvr and steelhead. A little levity is 'a good thing'.

Paul

G
gitano Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
ColdBore - It would not be possible for you to be more wrong in your suspicions.

Paul

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by levrluvr
Originally Posted by Steelhead

TMI

When you present a small target (or maybe the correct term here is a soft target), it's not that dangerous. whistle

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
never

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have always worn glasses, since I was 10, my glasses are real glass, not plastic, so I guess you could say I always wear glasses when reloading. My eyes, my decision.

OTOH, if someone wants to comment that there may be a SAFER way to do something and recommend that method, that doesnt mean he is being a safety nazi and is likely just a citizen trying to help out a newbie. The fact that you have done something a certain way for years and have suffered no injury does not necessarily mean that is the best or safest way to do it. JMHO

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do not wear safety glasses while reloading or anything else. I do wear prescription glasses. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
G
gitano Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
jnyork,

I tried to make it clear that I wasn't oopposed to whatever safety one wanted to use. What I'm opposed to is "Do as I SAY, not what I DO."

Paul

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
"I cook bacon in the nude."
Damn. I bet that hurts when the grease splatters.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
did you get the 222 stuff?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've worn RX glasses since I was a teenager, same time I started loading... I've always had polycarbonate lenses... No side shields though

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by temmi

BUT my reading glasses are also safety glasses so it is no big deal.

That's me. I've got 20/20 vision, but that's at 20 feet. Up close, I need the readers. Before my mid-40's, no glasses.

No accidents, either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No glasses and I've been known to smoke while reloading .

I do wear safety glasses while weed-eating or using a chainsaw so it ain't like I think I'm bullet-proof .

And I did stop using my kinetic bullet puller when a guy on here reported a bad experience with one so it ain't like I'm too old to change .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 12344mag, 16penny, 66 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,824
Posts18,477,888
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.