Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

Weather is the day to day variations in temperature, wind velocity, humidity, etc. Climate is the long term trends and past history of the above.

Much like the stock market, one day or even one year (weather) does not predict long term trends (climate).

Yep, and most fail to see that distinction. I haven't made my mind completely up yet about the climate debate, and I've heard enough over the past 4-5 years from engineers and scientists who make a living researching this kind of stuff. Lots of data that could easily convince you one way or the other.

One thing I think we can all easily agree on is that climate change is a reality (duh), as nothing is static. Whether we are warming or cooling is too difficult to say, and cannot be accurately determined for a long while. My best guess is that if we are in some sort of local minima as far as a graph of world temperatures go, though globally we are heading towards a maxima. While many think BCBrian is off his rocker (he sometimes is wink ), the polar ice sure as hell isn't melting itself.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I too am from Erie. Lived in the Millcreek area a few blocks west of Penninsula Drive & 26th Street. I remember the lake freezing pretty much every winter. Very cool to see. I simply LOVED driving around the Peninsula pretty much every day after school (either that or going out to the covered bridge in Gudgeonville) for a bit of partying...

In the winter of '77 I was working on the P&C docks in Conneaut, Oh as an Ironworker for a company called Link Belt building conveyor transport systems, stackers & reclaimers for the Great Lakes iron ore carriers of the day.

Moved to Houston/NASA area in '81... Strangely enough, I miss the snow and smaller ski area's of western NY...

Be safe
Patty

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We'll be wiped out when the poles swap ends and the magnetic field of the Earth is thrown into chaos long before Climate change will get us.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let the ice melt.

In fact, make it melt!

Human population is growing. People need food. You can't grow grains, fruits and vegetables on ice... in a perpetual winter. Add to that that governments around the globe are perfecting their methods of organized scarcity and control of markets while gathering as much wealth to themselves as humanly possible and it should be clear we need better growing seasons. Global warming is a GREAT idea in my book and we need more of it!

Unfortunately it has been proven that CO2 increases do not cause temperature increases but rather follow along afterwords.

So screw the alarmists. And screw the UN. And screw cap-n-tax. And screw carbon credits. And screw snake oil salesman Algalore. And screw the liberals. And screw the environment worship cult.

Keep the home fires burning. Think I'll go put another log on. And hope the azzhats in my list above get frost bite.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mudhen
You guys are confusing weather with climate...but your minds are made up.
No, we know the difference.. It's tongue-in-cheek humor..

But I wonder if YOUR mind is made up???

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
On Rush: first time in 14 years - frozen over..

Well I believe Rush better start checking his sources..

A) Here's a sat. picture of the eastern end of Lake Erie from the 15th (the day before his statement) and the western end is even more cracked and open at this time.

[Linked Image]

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/mo...mage=a1.10046.1836.LakeErie.143.250m.jpg

It's FAR from being frozen over.

I do a lot of ice fishing, and personally know one of the idiots that went through yesterday loosing $11,000 worth of 4-wheelers and equipment. The lake is far from being safe to fish at this time.

As far as not freezing for the last 14 years, that's major BS too.

Here's some pics from 4 years ago when it was solid from Buffalo to Toledo. It's not uncommon for the lake to freeze over, but in just the last 2 or 3 years it hasn't been solid end to end.

In these pictures, the ice is right around 4 feet thick where ever you went. Without extensions, ice fishing augers are about 42" long. On ice like this you need auger extensions, or a home made tool to break through the few inches of shove ice, or slush under the main ice...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Yep - all those things that I mentioned that are happening - it's because - the planet is COOLING - yesiree indeed - that makes sense!
That's what all those glorious 'scientists' said was happening in the '70s - GLOBAL COOLING!! A new ICE AGE is coming..

Laughable..

First off, there IS globla warming and global cooling.. But it has nothing to do with human population - it's just a normal cycling that's been around forever...

It's morons like Algore, the lyin'-scientists and flaming liberals that are trying their best to make us all believe that it's OUR fault..

It's total Bull-Pelosi, front to back...

But I digress...

A friend of mine in Port Stanley, Ontario sent me pix of what the lakefront looks like near spring when the winds push the ice floes up onto the shore.. It's unreal.. Something I've never seen before..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote]But I wonder if YOUR mind is made up??? [/quote

I vote programmed.

The same zealots who for decades - and still - can not make the distinction between environment and climate, are having their "gotcha" moment. It's quite juvenile, like their beliefs.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
Yep - all those things that I mentioned that are happening - it's because - the planet is COOLING - yesiree indeed - that makes sense!
That's what all those glorious 'scientists' said was happening in the '70s - GLOBAL COOLING!! A new ICE AGE is coming..

Laughable..

First off, there IS globla warming and global cooling.. But it has nothing to do with human population - it's just a normal cycling that's been around forever...

It's morons like Algore, the lyin'-scientists and flaming liberals that are trying their best to make us all believe that it's OUR fault..

It's total Bull-Pelosi, front to back...

But I digress...

A friend of mine in Port Stanley, Ontario sent me pix of what the lakefront looks like near spring when the winds push the ice floes up onto the shore.. It's unreal.. Something I've never seen before..
Exactly!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yep...

I looked at the satellite data last night. Rush has been hittin the vicodins... again.

Their still runnin shipping in the Great Lakes, not one of the better years for ice.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I could talk about the "Rossby Wave" being stuck in an abnormal position this year -and why we British Columbians up here have had a total of four inches of snow this winter - and why we have flowers blooming now - but there is no point - your minds are made up - based on how you vote... whistle

Brian,

It has nothing to do with global warming. It is a right wing conspiracy. We have a weather machine and we are withholding Canada's snow. Instead of selling carbon credits, we will sell you snow by the inch. The cost is quite reasonable but there is one other requirement. You will need to become a conservative who thinks for himself. We will not sell snow to liberal kool-aid drinkers.

Last edited by doubletap; 02/17/10.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,651 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,123
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.