-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I keep mine in big glass pickle jars, with the blasting caps, above the dynamite,.......out by the chicken coop. There's hens all over that shelf, as I type.

Is this dangerous,....?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gitano
It's simply a discussion among a few friends regarding what to tell folks considering getting into reloading.

Tell them to purchase a reloading manual (or two, or three) and start reading. That is how I did it. If a person is interested in reloading they can get advice from people they know and trust. If they don't know anyone who reloads and they are not capable of teaching themselves they should probably leave the powder and primers alone...

I was installing a ceiling fan last night, and the section of the instruction booklet that covered the wiring had a statement that basicaly said:

"If you do not understand these instructions, STOP and contact a qualified electrician."

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Depends how you define "immediate needs."

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I store everything in a temperature controlled enviroment to avoid the risk of humidity, extreme temp fluctuations, etc. My water heater closet serves this purpose very well. I've built shelves for powder, primers, fireworks, gas cans, volitile chemicals, paint and anything else that I don't want to git spoilt.

Gotta run, I smell something burning.

fish head

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tumble the brass till clean
I spray it with One Shot
I shove it into a sizer die
I retumble it to remove the lube
I shove a primer into it
I put some powder into it
I shove a bullet into it
I pull the trigger and it goes BOOM

What more do you need to know?

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
are you not supposed to keep your fertilizer diesel cans and powder and primerss together in the room with the fireplace and don't forget the 1/4 sticks for fishing

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
G
gitano Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
24 hours later:

While no one chose to answer the question, I don't think it's unreasonable to say that it's highly unlikely that any of the respondents use "fire safes".

Paul

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Straight answer, no I don't wear saftey glasses. I have reading glasses down on my nose some because I'm blind up close, or my arms are too short. Of the 10's of thousands of rounds I have loaded I've had one primer pop. That was when I first started and was attempting to load military brass with a LEE Loader and did not know to trim the crimp out

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the idea of storing even a several thousand primers in a fire safe is laughable. The original containers are plenty safe and will not mass detonate even in a fire.

Hatcher's Notebook

Islam is a terrorist organization.

G
gitano Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks for your answer crosshair. It's the first non-joking one. However, I think you're referring to the other thread I started about glasses. This one is about primer storage. Still, I want to thank you again for an straight-forward answer.

Thanks to you in too BarryC. I appreciate the straight answer.

Paul

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK, I'll try to give a straight answer . . . well, mostly anyhow.

I keep as many primers on hand as will fit in the storage cabinet drawer. I'm not going to say what size the drawer is, though. I don't keep them in a "fire-proof" container. I do have more than 20 primers on hand at any given time, but do not have the hundreds of thousands of primers that some seem to need. I have only been reloading for about 15 years and have not had any reloading mishaps of any magnitude at all . . . at least not yet - but I go slow and do not try to set quantity benchmarks, either.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm not sure if you're intentionally trying to make people suspicious, naive, or attemping to accumulate information for some unspecified purpose. You ever been in a black helicopter?

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
G
gitano Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I really don't understand the paranoia.

I asked straight-forward questions.

I explained EXACTLY why I was asking those questions.

I gave my backgound and personally answered the questions I asked.

I made NO suggestions that ANYONE should avoid using ANY device THEY CHOSE for their own safety.

While the number of posts I have made may be small, I have been a member at 24hr Campfire for years.

Good grief! Exactly what more could I do in trying to get straight answers to simple questions?

Paul

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok, I'll bite, the reality is if the black helicopters think you have something they want, they already know about you.

I try to have at least 3000 primers in the ones that I shoot. Some, like Small pistol primers, I have 1000 more. It's what stacks on the shelf nicely and they are not in a fire safe, but on wood shelf in a concrete enclosure where I load. If you look at the photos provided earlier in your first question, you can see the primers stacked up in that old wooden office piece. Again, $30 at a flea market.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have extras too.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,800
Posts18,477,464
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.