Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Trips Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi All - I heard back from DJ at TiGoat and the image below is what he passed along illustrating the latest design. He stated that he hopes to have the website updated over the weekend with more information on the new version.

It's clear that it's done away with the spring & cable system and now using several fixed length rods to secure the ends of the stove to the cylinder. The added benefit aside from appearing more secure is that it now creates a level cooking surface at the top of the stove albeit it not a 100% flat/contact one. I give that a big thumbs up as I just didn't like the balancing act I've seen in many action shots of it to date.

I fired back a few more questions to him asking:

*12" only or can we order in 18"
*Is there a way to increase the height of the stove.
*Has he ever produced a t-style hood for the pipe to prevent rain,etc. (There is what appears to be a new spark arrestor basket in the image)

Huskyrunner, I think this means it's ok to post your shots as well now that we have something out from TiGoat. Look forward to seeing what you came up with and knowing if this version is the "hell-for-stout" one you had seen previously.

[Linked Image]

GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
that is a nice stove...... looks like fun to put together though?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
That's it. That's the design that can hold a lead brick.

Mine is ss shim and ss plates.

12" X 100" .004" (I think)ss shim from Fastenal ~$80
cut off a 27" length for the stove body and that leaves you a 6' pipe.

two MSR alpine plates from REI, $10 ea.

The 1/8" legs and tie rods were scrap I had laying around, but ultimately came from Home Depot, a few bucks.

The Alpine plates have a generous flange on them so I drilled holes for the tie rods, put a hook on one end, threaded the other. Not as clean or fast a setup as DJ's.

The assembled stove has legs that were brazed with a small propylene torch I borrowed from a neighbor. The other one I used a spot welder, which I found more difficult, but I'm a complete newbie at spot welding and brazing.

wyo, its no more futzy to put together as my box stove which surprised me. I thought it would be a real pain. All up, w/ the pipe, it weighs 2 lb. 10 oz. (eta: I forgot that my stove door is way too heavy gauge scrap I had laying around. Without the door, its 2 lb. 3 oz.)

Trips, I do know that 14" ss shim stock exists, so you could certainly get one that size. The design seems easily scaleable to whatever is available in shim length and plate diameter.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by huskyrunnr; 03/05/10.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
sweet! want to trade for a 3 man?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are they going to be out of stock forever. I've check their website every month and it always says out of stock. I assume you just have to back order and wait 6 months?

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I would guess they sold out of the old model to bring in the new version, but thats just my guess

T
Trips Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Nice work Husky! Your clone looks great. Has it been out with you yet and how did it perform?

Heard back from DJ on some of my follow up questions. Here it is verbatim.

Can the stove still be ordered in an 18" length or just 12"?
>>> We only did 2-3 18" with the old model... working on a 15"-18" in the new model.

Is there a way to adjust the support system to raise it higher off the ground?
>>> Other than stacking something under it, no.

Can you confirm that the stove is now held together with three rods which does away with the spring and cable system.
>>> Yes, 3 Ti rods... 2 top (works as pot support), 1 bottom.

Is that little mesh basket a spark arrestor for the top of the pipe?
>>> Spark arrestor yes, but we like it in the bottom of the pipe. In the hot zone there is less chance of it soot building up.

Have you ever produced or is a T-style cap available to prevent rain from entering the pipe?
>>> Haven't ever done one.

What other changes have been made in this version of the stove?
>>> Larger diameter (gained ~160 cubic inches). All Ti end plates. Legs front and rear. And the Ti support rods. The 2010 model gained about 5oz in total weight and will cost about $35 more.

Can I order now? Looks like a winner. Thanks,,
>>> Not quite yet, more info will be up on the website this weekend.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by wyolostandfound
sweet! want to trade for a 3 man?

Thanks for the kind words and offer wyo. I only have one complete stove that I gave to my son. I'd be happy to send along a pair of completed end-plates and tie rods for free if you want to get your own shim stock and finish it up yourself. This was just a fun experiment for me so I don't know if I'll ever finish up my spare.

Trips, draw in these stoves is phenomenal. I've only had about four burns in this stove since I made it last Summer. I don't have much time to get out these days and play. Trying recover from a job loss and move up in the new job.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Wow, can't beat that offer!

Husky- Probably going to abandon my box design and build one like yours [or buy DJ's] Did you look for the plates or that shim stock in Titanium? I guessing its mighty expensive. Does the type of SS matter?

I found some Titanium plate pretty reasonable at Titaniumjoes.com but no shim stock

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I see ti goat offers ti foil in 22 inch width on their website. Does anyone know if it's heavy enough to work for the stove body?

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
would thin gauge galvanized flashing metal work? i have a roll of it that is 16 inches wide. would need to pre burn to eliminate the zinc...... wyo.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
B- didn't look for Titanium. Rather than get the lightest thing, my goal was to source everything locally. I don't really know how the grade of ss matters. I suspect the good stuff is less corrosive and therefore lasts longer. I've heard the better it is the less magnetic it is. The shim I got from Fastenal was only very slightly magnetic but after a burn it became considerably more magnetic :shrug:

olypen, I know that early on they ended up with some Ti foil that they didn't like for some reason. I think they said it was not durable. They had a bunch of it and decided to sell it off as windscreen projects. My pipe that came with my box stove is from that batch and I haven't seen any pinholes or corrosion and crumbling. What I did notice in tests I did way back is that their titanium box stove body had much better heat transfer characteristics than one of my ss stoves. That also matched measurements of electrical conductivity, as expected. That early Ti foil was a wholly different story. You could have the box stove cranked and actually put your hand on the upper pipe without any discomfort. Crazy. It must have been some oddball alloy that had really lousy thermal conductivity. So while it is light and plenty thick for a stove body, it won't have very favorable thermal characteristics IF it is that first batch they ran into.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
REI has TI plates for $15 each. Having trouble finding the ti foil. I might prototpe it with thin stainless and see how that goes. When its all said and done it will probably be easier to just order one from tigoat.

Last edited by Pennsyltucky; 03/06/10.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
If you are looking for cylindrical SS contaniners a good place to start is usually bathroom toilet brush holders! or biscuit barrels or bread bins.Because of the very limited use of tent stoves over here it is often easier and (much) cheaper to make your own and this is usually the place to start.

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
what are the dimentions on the stove? Thanks, Casey

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
wyolostandfound,

I don't think you'd want to use galvanized. I have played aound with cylinder stoves and used .004 stainless shimstock. McMaster-Carr has it in a variety of widths & lengths.

The ti foil/shim stock is available from Ti Goat. Runs about $15-$17 a foot.

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huskyrunnr

[Linked Image]

Nice DIY. smile

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks Woods. If I can cut the price in half with not too much weight penalty, I'm happy. Right now I'm wondering about a set of holes for the tie rods that would spread them out and allow a larger pot to compress the cylinder body and allow greater contact. At some point its going to perhaps collapse though.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I think that design is pretty clever the way the seal is created by the compression around the radius of the plates. I would have thought it burns pretty good with the cylindrical design but have never played with it.

I made a rectangular stove from a Coleman fuel can [that got squashed by my buddies mule] and found it burned really well especially when I put in a baffle.I can't take credit for the baffle design. The baffle was a small rectangular piece that hung from the top about 2/3 of the way back. It somehow created a swirling air flow that helped burn the contents better and increase temps. I would think the cylindrical design would do that naturally.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
C
C
Any idea on a release date?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1234, 219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,457
Posts18,489,764
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.