Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3991115 04/12/10
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

We've all seen the image of an old prospector wandering around with a burro carrying all his gear. They seem to be less common today even though burros might be a practical way to carry gear into a remote camp. Does anyone have experience with burros?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We hashed them over a while back. Check out this old thread: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/donkey/Search/true/donkeys#Post2998990

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Rock Chuck:

I read every post in that thread. It started out discussing burros/donkeys but quickly turned into a discussion about mules vs horses. I hope I get more info regarding burros/donkeys out of this thread.

Has anyone used a burro or donkey as a pack animal while hunting elk? Please relate your experiences.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No experience with burros for elk hunting, but we used them for the week-long Boy Scout back country hikes for several weeks every summer for years. Once they knew who was boss, they were great.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Uncle Sam will sell you a few burros...cheap too!

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Haven't used them for elk,but have pack several.I saw a darn nice string of them a few years back down in the Swampy pass area and they sure did the job.
Compare a horse and a mule and then the same amount of difference applies to comparing a burro to a mule. They are a darn site smarter and take considreable more time in training,but it can be done. They are also heartier and take less food and can subsist on rougher forage. Personally if I were looking in that direction,I would look at a 12 hd little mule instead.
Probably looking at a weight capacity of 125 lbs. more if they are bigger

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I will ride a horse, pack a mule, sometimes ride a mule if its a good one. Having been raised where burros were abundant, I don't want to use them. I have used them to pack salt. We had Candellia wax vats and the Mexicans used them to pack the candellia weed and pack wax to our ranch where we would buy it from them.. They are stubborn and hard to work with albiet they are gentle by nature once broke. Also once broke they are pretty slow moving as a rule..They are also much harder to balance a load on and hard to keep the pack saddles on them and you need to have special pack saddles if your serious about them and the cost is prohibitive...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The summer I spent working with a sheep hearder we use 2 of them to pack out while going to and from different fields both had been used for at lest 15 years and knew the trails by heart,they loved the sheep and dogs and would go just plain raving mad when a yote would show up. The Forest Service in our area used them to pack in new seadlings.Have seen the Mex's pack'em down so heavy I never thought they would move, Like Ray said though if they take in their heads they don't like you , for get getting them to move

"Just another day in Oz!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We got two very wild burros to practice roping about 16-17 years ago. About the wildest things you could imagine, within a couple years we sold one and kept the other "Burrito".

He was stunted, but must have came from a mammoth jack as he ended up being just shy of 14 hands. With some gentle hands he ended up being a big pet. He lead wonderfully, packed great, even rode fairly well. I used a brow band bridle with quick disconnects on the side for the bit. I'd put the bridle on and than insert the bit and clip in into place.

He was almost to friendly really when it came down to it. He'd follow you around wherever you went. Would have loved to have taken him out to the Mtn.s sometime.

Short on room at my folks' place and I got tired of hearing my step-dad bitch about him as the burro was always the one getting moved around in the barn and if he wasn't fed first he'd start to bray (spelling). Ended up giving him to an old girlfriend of mine who always wanted him. Still doing well and they ride him quite often.

Gray horse in the front is 16'2
[Linked Image]

Last edited by cal74; 04/25/10.

Life is just one damned thing after another
I use pack burros here in Colorado. I started a blog and forum at www.originalatv.com. I'm just getting things started so there isn't much discussion yet. I'd be happy to answer any questions you guys may have. My burros packed out six elk this fall.

Saddlesore: I hunt up near Swampy Pass, that might have been me you saw! smile

[Linked Image]

Last edited by GoneHuntn; 01/05/14.

"If you can't pack it out, don't kill it."

Joe Back. Horses, Hitches and Rocky Trails

http://www.originalatv.com/
IC B3

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gonehuntn
I use pack burros here in Colorado. I started a blog and forum at www.originalatv.com. I'm just getting things started so there isn't much discussion yet. I'd be happy to answer in questions you guys may have. My burros packed out six elk this fall.

Saddlesore: I hunt up near Swampy Pass, that might have been me you saw! smile

Sent you a PM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Several years ago my son built about a mile of fence in a conservation area where no vehicles were allowed. Used a saddle horse and donkey with a sawbuck saddle and panniers to pack everything in and out. Donkey could carry three rolls of barbed wire, or three sacks of post mix. Wrapped the barbed wire in a towel, put one on each side and one on top. Same with the post mix. As I recall they also wrapped the t-posts in canvas.
After the first day, the donkey would follow the horse without a lead rope. One day the donkey fell down the side of a mountain, not too far and nobody got hurt. Waited for the wreck to stop and then carried everything back up to the trail and repacked it.
Just my two cents worth.

Mark

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Gonehuntin. This outfit I saw was from Texas I believe. About 6 big Mammoth stock donkeys. All new pack saddels and tack

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Before I got my llamas, I looked all over so. Idaho for a couple good donkeys. All I found were minis about the size of my lab. I finally gave up and tried out goats and the llamas.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Rock Chuck,
I have a friend who specializes in the use of goats as pack animals; pretty much an expert. However, Colorado and most of the western states are about to ban the use of goats in areas where there are bighorns and mtn goats. The 2013 Colorado Big Horn hunting brochure (page 3) sited an extensive study that showed a serious problem with the transmission of disease to wild sheep and goats. Right now it is �recommended� that folks leave pack goats at home but I have it on good authority it will soon be enforced.

My animals were rescued �wild� burros. Most, if not all, folks who use formally wild burros will testify they are much preferred over none-wild donkeys. Natural selection has given them more stamina; made them less prone to disease and (my favorite) they have a little more �git-up-and-go�. They are hard workers and will pack gear for miles!

Here are a couple of videos from this fall and one dandy bull a friend of mine took.

https://vimeo.com/78501235
https://vimeo.com/77910252

[Linked Image]

Last edited by GoneHuntn; 01/06/14.

For anyone in Colorado, I will be at International Sportsman's Expo in Denver Jan 16-19, booth 3042. Stop by and say hello and we can talk about asses! smile

Eric

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Where do you get those "once wild"burros?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Could you transport burros in a truck bed w/rack similar to llamas?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd want a stock trailer myself.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1badf350, 160user, 1941USMC, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,384
Posts18,506,743
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.