Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
BlueDoe Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Greetings! I ask the assembled experts this question: Has anyone ever tried eating wolf meat? I ask this in all seriousness. In my library I have a magazine, Wolfe's Hunting Horizons, which was an annual special publication they put out, similar to the present "Successful Hunter" In the 1992 issue was an article about preparing cougar meat. In the article the cougar backstrap was cut into medallions, marinated in milk, then floured and fried. The author said it was quite good! It got me wondering about other predator's meat, of course I know bear meat can be great.

I am posting this here, hoping Mule Deer will ask Mrs. Mule Deer what she knows about wolf meat. Thanks in advance...

"Mama tried..."
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Can't bring myself to eat an animal that I despise, snakes, yotes, wolves, ect.... they lie where they die.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I had the experience of skinning one once in Canada, the smell would defer eating I think.

I have eaten leopard, and it is excellent.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I damn near vomited skinning a salmon eating wolf, I'd sooner lick my ass.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was hamered up at a Fish and Wildlife dinner and tried some cougar.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bluedoe,

I asked Eileen about wolf and she has no clue.

We have eaten mountain lion and it is mild-flavored, pale meat. From what we understand most cat meat is like that, even domestic cats and African lions, though we haven't tried either!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Rocky tells me that NOTHING eats coyote. Can't imagine that wolf is any better.

Be not weary in well doing.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
The one I shot smelled so bad there's no way I could have brought myself to try eating it.
However, I do know several people who have eaten dog(most of them didn't know it was dog at the time) and they thought it was okay.
As far as coyote's, I find if I leave them unskinned they don't get eaten,even by magpies, but if I throw out askinned carcass it gets eaten up quite readily.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have tried it. It had an oily taste to it that wasn't very good. I wouldn't recommend it. Lynx on the other hand is trapline turkey- Hindquarters are especially good.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know about wolf.

I have eaten dog and it was ok. I used to eat chili at this restaurant when I went thru this one town. Never knew the difference.

Found out they were shut down for putting dog into it.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
It tastes simular to Beagle.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't, but I imagine those with the taste for kegogi may appreciate it.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope, and wouldn't. I don't get queazy easily, but wolf does a good job of getting me going that way.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm pretty sure I ate a cat once at a Chinese restaurant in Newark. They claimed it was lamb, but I'm pretty sure I heard some meowing in the back. It did taste like cat piss smells. Kinda like Steelie, ass is better (but only if it is female, insert, ahem, your own joke).

I can't possibly imagine any predator tastes particularly good. I've had coon, possum and bear. I wouldn't go for seconds for any of it, regardless of how it was prepared. I know a few guys that's had crow. Most had taken a half a fifth (a tenth?) of Old Crow before they pronounced it as passible.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer black bear, and even good brown bear, over the last moose I killed. Whew it's gnarly! (But then, he had a big old carrot-sized pus-sy wound in a hind leg.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Seems like I remember you posting that pic. It was fairly disgusting.

I generally like caribou, except for one that was killed in the rut. It reeked. And, it tasted like an infected wound smells, now that you mention it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I was lucky enough to take this wolf on an elk (Maral Stag) hunt in Mongolia in 1991. I didn't eat any of it, but the Mongolian men butchered it and scarfed it up in camp. They claimed it was good for treating lung diseases. Since they all smoked like chimneys, I figured they needed all the help they could get.

They blanched at the thought of eating elk meat, however, and claimed it was only good for wolf bait...

[Linked Image]

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I was lucky enough to take this wolf on an elk (Maral Stag) hunt in Mongolia in 1991. I didn't eat any of it, but the Mongolian men butchered it and scarfed it up in camp. They claimed it was good for treating lung diseases. Since they all smoked like chimneys, I figured they needed all the help they could get.

They blanched at the thought of eating elk meat, however, and claimed it was only good for wolf bait...

[Linked Image]

LOL. Good answer.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The real problem has to do with illegal immigrants.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Depending on the area in which the wolf was shot, I would expect there might be a pretty good potential for trichinosis since this originates in rodents. The same would be true of coyotes. BTW, in this area, coyotes are one of the cougar's prey species. GD

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10Glocks, 22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,976
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.