Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks 3sixbits, you may have saved me some hassle. And Marty, I just don't know what I would do without the compassion of my fellow Fire Brothers.

Don

Model 70 Forever
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Don,
you have to learn to shoot a big bore and that is mostly mental, nobody in good health has ever been injured from recoil, least we would all be shooting 222's...What bothers you about the recoil, is it hurting your shoulder or your face would be my first question? It is muzzle blast distracting? Isolate the problem first of all, then work on that..

Again a custom or simi custom stock might be the best solution..A proper laminate is good on a big bore and it gives some weight to the gun and can be cut to fit your build, I am not too fond of plastic stocks on big bores and don't believe for moment that those composite stocks suck up recoil because the give to the shot..if they did then they would be offset by being lighter in weight IMO..

A muzzle brake is always the best way to stop the recoil in a big bore, but I would hate to see you mess up a nice pre 64 M-70 with one unless you intend to keep it forever..They do work and will teach you to shoot big bores..Have a thread cap to go with the brake so you can finish each session with a few off hand shots with it and may choose to hunt without it and in time you will quite using it and be comfortable with the unbraked gun. It works...As to noise, they do increase noise to varing degrees but you can wear ear protection at the range and practice sessions and keep in mind that with or without a brake a big bore can do ear damage, end of story! I use ear protection faithfully but when I hunt I take off the brake, put on the screw protection cap and don't use hearing protection or at least I did in the beginning...Today I shoot anything up to and including a 458 Win. without a brake without any trouble..Beyond that I need all the help I can get.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Don_Boyd

Does anyone have experience or comments with the strap-on shoulder recoil shield by PAST? Pros/Cons for 1/2" Vs 1" thick? Shield thickness Vs LOP change?
As always, your advise/counsel will be treasured.

Don Boyd

I use the PAST recoil shields all the time - when test firing rifles/shotguns for functioning, and when on the bench.. Love 'em.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Christ Lee, I thought you ate Pre-64's for lunch. But thanks for the endorsement. Had some Honey-Doo's come up today so my range session will be tomorrow. Ray, As I see it my biggest problem is the loss of body weight and lack of ability to absorb recoil. I think the worst pain is to my shoulder. I've shot the .375 so much I don't think the noise bothers me. While my eye damage is bothersome the groups I'm shooting, .7" to .9" at 50 Yds, indicate to me my eyes still work some. If I concentrate as hard as I can I can string a group while letting my Lady beat hell out of me. I've never used a muzzle brake. I have some custom ear plugs a Dentist made for me I met in Iver Hendrickson's shop in Missoula, MT in the late 60's or maybe early 70's. I use those when hunting as they permit pretty normal levels of conversation but attenuate the eye-crossing noise.
Again, Thanks to all.

Don Boyd

Last edited by Don_Boyd; 04/30/10.

Model 70 Forever
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Finally got my .375 and the PAST Recoil Shield together at the 50 yd range. I think I'm ready to try the 100 yd distance at the next session. And Ray, I think you're very correct in I have to learn to shoot heavy bore rifles again. As I settled my girl into her sweet spot on the PAST I found that applying heavy stabilizing pressure rearward and being constantly aware of dragging any wood was becoming automatic. Even with my damaged eye, I shot 0.87" (4-shot), 0.96" (4-shot), 1.20" (4-shot) and 0.98" (3-shot) groups with Remington Factory 270PP at 50 yds. Checked carefully after the session and don't have any sign of a shoulder bruise. I'm very pleased. A special Thank You for all your advice and encouragement.

Don Boyd

Model 70 Forever
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

407 members (1badf350, 163bc, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 44 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,216
Posts18,504,034
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.