-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 35 1 2 3 4 34 35
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What are you trying to prove Hardcorehunter? I am just trying to figure out the point of all this since you seem to have brought this topic up out of nowhere, when no one asked.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Quote from Elk Reaper about the Blue widow

I talked about the Blue Widow a few times, but I would say that it can carry as much as any person could handle, durability is never a issue with the EB packs. You could find a pack that is more comfortable, but the BW is very versatile and that goes a long way.

http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=381371&forum=5#2946357

I guess if I am going to dish out big money for a crewcab, I want it all.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
nothing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So you read about it on the Internet? That's what your basing your opinion on?

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by kenaiking

It's kinda funny

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
TX trapper.

Phil, I will have to respectfully disagree with you. Yes, the LL's will pull the load into the back but at the same time with the angle being up above the shoulders this in turn DOES lift the load off the shoulders. Thus the name Load lifter strap's. Yes, there are many hauling hvy loads with the NICE frame and if you get the ones that have the loadlifters attached where they need to be, which is up above the shoulders they will work. The people hauling those loads. Go look at their packs and look at how the weight is pulling down off their shoulders( the CrewCab). This is not the best design out there. I have had the NICE w/ Crewcab and got rid of it for this flaw. You can do what ever you desire. I have had lengthy talks w/ MR about this and they do know. I will say the people with a shorter torso do seem to get by better, but still it is a flaw in a pack that is designed to haul hvy loads, long distances. Again, you can do what ever floats your boat. Do a search over on 24 hr and you will see this discussed. If you want to do one better, go over to Dan McHales site and look at the Bypass system. This so far is the best design out there, that's why it is patented.

Have a nice day!!!! Allen

http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=370585&forum=5#2840339

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I use the internet and read reviews to buy most of my gear. How else do you make intelligent choices? It has paid off so far.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
TXT is correct IMO. Load lifters shift where the weight is carried by pulling it off the top of the shoulders forward to the attachment point over the clavicle. I canot explain the physics, but it does very much seem to help shift the weight of the load to the hips. I tried on the CrewCab on in SLC earlier this year and the short frame height did not allow the load lifters to work as well as on a taller pack.

Having said that, it depends on what you want a pack for. The CC is more versatile and is a better carry-alot and pack-a little than some of the taller packs. Many times I have wished my Kifaru LH did not stick up as far over the top of my shoulders as it does when used in day pack-mode. But I do prefer a pack with a taller frame for packing for the reasons mentioned above. It's all about trade-offs.

http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=370585&forum=5#2840339

Last edited by HardCoreHunter; 05/22/10.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
So, I am wrong in my research> The load lifters are great on a MR Crewcab?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The load lifters on the NICE are not designed to lift a load onto your shoulders. It would be impossible to achieve with the short NICE frame. They are made to bring the load into your back.
You cant expect a strap to fix a improperly loaded pack. This is what the guys at MR will tell you as well. If you need a pack with higher lifters you buy a different model.

If you look at all those pictures form your link you will notice how they show the packs not being able to carry the weight they are loaded with. Elk reaper is a monster of a dude and even he is leaning way forward as those packs are giving up. The only exception was the osprey.

Here is the problem most are having. You play thread Jesus and bring up a thread that is down who knows how many pages, then make an assumption about something you have never used. Your posting other peoples opinion like its gospel.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like a quote from Elk Reaper that says basically,"There is no one pack that is right for everyone, just right for you." Let's just leave it at that. Here is another guy,

I have had a 4500, and a mr crew cab. I like the blue widow of the three by a large margin. I have carried heavy and light loads. Good pack and very comfortable. I did think the shoulder straps were a bit thin when I first purchased the pack. But I have hauled heavy loads with no discomfort.
http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=372497&forum=5#2795367

Everybody has opinions. I guess to stay on topic, maybe the pack hasn't sold because others have read what I have? Maybe a poor economy? Probably a lot of us that won't skimp on quality, want the best, but can't see paying twice or 3 times as much for a product, then what something very similar can do at a much lower price. Example, a 5 man SL5 go lite tipi, stove, and stove jack for under $500, or a 6 man Kifaru tipi, stove jack, and stove for $1300. $800 better quality? Some will say yes, some will say no. Whatever floats your boat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea I can use google too. I agree 100% that gear only has to work for the person who is using it and thats it.

If you would have read the whole thread you would have seen the NICE frame that was for sale was made to be worn with body armor. Most hunters I know leave the kevlar at home.

MR is not 3 times the price of Eb packs either. Some choose to pay a premium for quality gear made in the USA. Others don't. Comparing EB and MR is like apples and oranges. Much like comparing Golite to Kifaru.

SH08
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Its a good deal with lots of extras but its not a normal NICE frame. The one for sale is made to be worn over body armor. Would make a great package for someone deployed but its a pretty specialized piece of gear.

I'm pretty sure that's the main reason.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Erblestock have alifetime warranty, not sure where they are made...probably in Vietnam like Badlands packs..., MR crewcab and NICE frame cost twice as much as my blue widow, and I did read the whole thread..that it wouldn't take anything much to turn it into a reg NICE frame...I am sure that a MR is a nice pack no doubt. Worth twice as much??... all in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited by HardCoreHunter; 05/22/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alright since your missing the point and I'm tired of boosting your post count.

People value a accurate opinion when they are going to spend money. When you have used a piece of gear please tell us how it worked for you. If you have not please don't assume you know how it will perform.

Your post on building your stove and modding your SL5 was great. A perfect example of useful content that will help people. That's what makes this forum so much better then the rest. People who actually use there gear and write about it.

SH08
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I really doubt that anyone puts more time into the mountains and packing back in then Elk Reaper. He lives somewhere 1/3 of a year in the woods if I remember right. Anyway, Here are some more comments by him:

"IMO The blue widow is the best pack from the Eberlestock line. I did a ton of field testing on each and the Blue widow is a hard pack to top."

"I did not like the MR crew cab or longbow but thought the Bighorn was one of the best packs I ever used. "

http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=379652&forum=5#2935163

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why don't you let him speak for himself, your just sounding like another keyboard cowboy that can use a search engine. Sounds like you want to start a church of worship of the ELK REAPER and he is the almighty.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Keep trying............
Alright, you told me too, so I did. I think that is enough info posted. I will give an honest review of my Blue widow and if it doesn't fit the bill for me, it will go down the road.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
really doubt that anyone puts more time into the mountains and packing back in then Elk Reaper. He lives somewhere 1/3 of a year in the woods if I remember right. Anyway, Here are some more comments by him:

"IMO The blue widow is the best pack from the Eberlestock line. I did a ton of field testing on each and the Blue widow is a hard pack to top."

"I did not like the MR crew cab or longbow but thought the Bighorn was one of the best packs I ever used. "

And your built just like him right? You hunt elk in CO 1/3 of the year too right?

Just because its great for him doesn't mean its the best for everyone. He says great things about MR in almost all his post. Even says he no longer owns a blue widow.

SH08
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Big_W
Why don't you let him speak for himself, your just sounding like another keyboard cowboy that can use a search engine.
That's what th search buttons are for on these forums, and Elk Reaper did speak for himself, he posted his opinion. You posted your opinion and said that a eberlstok is a POS. You are the only one that I have read that review on, so It doesn't hold much water imo.

Page 2 of 35 1 2 3 4 34 35

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (35, 79S, 6mmbrfan, 35WhelenNut, 673, 264mag, 16 invisible), 962 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,890
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.