Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
wbyfan1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Hello all,

Have any of you belted magnum shooters experienced issues with case bulge just above the belt? I've read this is a real issue with belted cartridges becuase after 2-3 loadings, the case will no longer fit in the chamber. This is supposedley a problem that a conventional FL resizing die won't take care of.

I just started reloading for my 270 Wby and have thus far not experienced any problems, however, I've only got 2 firings on my new brass. As expensive as Weatherby brass is, I sure hope to get more than 3 loadings from a case.

There is a company in Florida named Innovative Technoligies that sells a special collet resizing die specifically made for belted magnum cartridges. They claim it re-sizes the brass all the way to the top of the belt, elliminating the case bulge. In addition it will supposedley extend case life by many loading's. They want $89.00 for that darn thing. Does this sound like a gimmick or is case bulging really that big of an issue with belted cases?

Thanks everyone.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have loaded belted mags for over 25yrs and have never had a problem with my regular dies. Usually neck size for the first 3-5 loadings and then PFL size. I have visited his web site and looked at his products. They look to be quality but until I actually have a problem with the buldge, I can't justify the purchase.Rick.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
+1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
With belted magnum cases you need to be very careful not to full length resize. If you move the shoulder of the case back several times you will split the case about the middle, and you'll be fishing half the case out of the chamber.

Can't say that I have ever seen any problem bulge above the case belt, but I only neck size.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Move the shoulder as little as possible and you will be fine with case life.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a solution to a problem that seldom exists.

I've loaded belted cases for about 50 years, neck sizing only after the first forming and partial full sizing on the fourth reload to slightly set the shoulder back, and have NEVER had a problem chambering a round. I don't know any competent reloader who has had the problem for which that die is sold. If there is a problem it may be from an improperly cut chamber which I suppose is possible in a factory rifle.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I agree that you don't need it; almost forty years of those awful belts and not a problem so described. Prep your cases; follow the directions with your dies and you 'll be ok.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I've always believed in working your casings as little as needed no matter what type of casing. I'm still using ones out of a lot of 100 I bought 20+ yrs ago.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"I've read this is a real issue with belted cartridges becuase after 2-3 loadings, the case will no longer fit in the chamber. This is supposedley a problem that a conventional FL resizing die won't take care of.

It happens. It's not frequent. IF/when it occurs the Innovative die will fix it but wait to see if you have a problem before pursuing a solution.

Learn to FL size off the shoulder or best case life, ignore the belt.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Promotional post are reserved for paying advertisers only. Please contact advertising24hourcampfire.com if you have any questions or would like ad rates.

Thanks for your professional courtesy.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
PFL size and you wont have a problem. Loading for belted cases is no different than loading for nonbelted cases IME. I've seen the stretch pictured above from improper sizing in both belted and nonbelted cases.

loder

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Larry,
I've read enough testimonials over the yrs stating that your product was the ONLY solution to their problem. It's convinced me that for some there is a need for it. Luckily I haven't had that problem...............................................yet.
But if I do it's good to know there's a fix out there for it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never had the problem myself and about 75% of my reloading has involved belted cases.

Weiners are health food - My dad
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is the OP a shill? Not many posts by either party and they're right here. Marketing?

I'd like to understand how it's even possible for a case to bulge in a properly cut chamber. The brass can expand just so much. It's restricted by the chamber. The brass spring back enables extraction. If the brass is so thin that it won't spring back the case is past it's useful stage anyway and even then I doubt the problem. If the chamber is out of round then maybe it would happen but then you have other problems. I get between 10 and 15 reloads out of my belted cases and those are usually lost to expanding primer pockets, not an inability to chamber. I've never seen it and never heard of it from any KNOWLEDGEABLE reloader or shooter.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just for the heck of it, I just looked at my RCBS FL .300 win mag sizing die. Without meausuring it, it sure seems to me that it sizes all the way down to the belt - or close to it. Long ago I read about Larry Willis' belted sizing die and wondered whether or not if I must have this invaluable tool. Haven't found the need for it yet.

I'll agree with Bobski on the primer pocket issue. I haven't yet had to toss a case out because of loose primer pockets, but it's getting close on some.

Larry,

You do have a nice website with some good tips for folks, so I don't want to be too harsh.

fish head

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
"Is the OP a shill? Not many posts by either party and they're right here. Marketing?"

Most likely. I remember this scenario being played out at least twice before on other forums. New poster shows up, asks about the innovative die and Larry appears to give a pitch for his die.

Recently I signed up at another forum and posted a question...Larry sent me a spam PM directing me to his site.

Guess it keeps him off welfare.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Promotional post are reserved for paying advertisers only. Please contact advertising24hourcampfire.com if you have any questions or would like ad rates.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Innovative

99% of shooters are great people. That's why I enjoy working with them every day. However, I've found that some forums can develop a unique personality. The friendliness of this site is overwhelming.

- Innovative

grin Hey Larry, good one!

Your entrepreneurial (sp?) spirit is admirable and I still wish I needed one of your dies. Thinking about buying one just to reward your persistence.

Still waiting for one for unbelted 06 cases cause I need one for my 280AI. Tight cut chamber so the die doesn't resize the case body.

Guess I'll send off for a custom body die when I get a
[Linked Image]

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
"However, I've discovered that writing about my products on forums is a bit more affordable than advertising."

- Innovative

Edited by Innovative (05/27/10 07:48 PM)

Dear Innovative:

Rick Bin

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I expand new 338's up to 358, re-size til the case just chambers, off of the shoulder.

I believe some have gone over 10 firings, perhaps more.

It is very true; the factories and gauge makers do not care what, if any, shoulder a belted mag case has. They headspace it off of the belt. So much so you only need one case gauge when rebarreling to any belted magnum (a good thing).

Doesn't mean you have to, even at the first firing.

A rimmed case is no different than a belted case in headspace function, regardless what angle the shoulder is. An actual full length size on a 22 Hornet, 44-40 or even the ubiquitous 30-30 toasts cases darn quick.

I've never seen an "angled" 30-30 case, I always though the shoulder was "round" grin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,412
Posts18,489,030
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.