Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
wbyfan1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by bobski
Is the OP a shill? Not many posts by either party and they're right here. Marketing?

A shill??? Come on bobski, give me a break here. I'm relatively new to reloading and am a total neophyte when it comes to loading belted cases. In a quest to increase my reloading IQ, I've become a voracious reader/researcher of all things reloading. I just purchased my first rifle(Mark V Deluxe-270Wby Mag)that shoots a belted magnum and want to learn as much as possible about reloading for it. Just so happens I've come across the bulging case issue a few times and was curious. I thought since this site seems to have lots of knowledgable folks, I'd inquire about the case bulge issue. Got it???

Thanks for your concern though.

HR IC

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I think it is pretty bold for some poster to accuse a guy they don't know of running a scam because they never encountered the problem.

It exists.

The bulge is alive and well in some Norma brass.

I bought one of Innovative Technologies dies and it works quite well. He was out of dies at the time and I had to wait a bit for it but it was worth it.

You need to keep things clean and use Imperial sizing wax but it does the job.

No incipent head seperations so far either either.

I have a couple of .308 Norma magnums. One I bought and one was a gift from an older friend.

With the gift came dies and a bunch of Norma handloads/brass etc [Over 300 in all] as well as RCBS dies, new cases and three boxes of factory stuff.

Virtually all of the reloads had been loaded several times and had the bulge enough that they were getting hard to chamber in the gift, a P-14 by Winchester and essentially impossible to chamber in the other rifle, a Mauser even after FL resizing.

Both rifles get shot a lot and Norma brass is fairly expensive. It also has/had a rep for being a bit soft and having the primer pockets loosen up too. Brownell's sells a gadget to tighten those up but I haven't tried that.

The only other friend I have that has the problem shoots a .300 Weatherby FWIW.

I partial size the three belted magnums I work with a lot and the third one, a .338 has never exhibited the problem.

I have never had a case failure with the .338 either. I do toss the cases after ten reloads.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Innovative

Read my last post, and you should be able to understand that belted cases bulge during reloading, not while in the chamber.

Nothing in your post clarifies anything and you don't state it occurs during reloading. You're compressing the outside of the case. It's pretty difficult to cause the case to bulge out if the sizing die is even remotely close to SAAMI specs; all the force is compressing in so how can it bulge out? It's not a balloon with pressure from the inside during sizing. I don't think I could do it if I tried and I'd like to see someone else do it whether a competent or incompetent reloader.

It happens because belted cases stretch considerably (at the shoulder) during the first shot.

Cases don't stretch at the shoulder, they stretch in the body near the web as shown in your picture. And in sizing the shoulders compress, not stretch. That squeeze is what elongates necks and ultimately requires trimming.

That "stretch" is anywhere from .014" and I've seen the gap exceed .035" a time or two. That stretch is at the first firing when thinning of the body results just forward of the web.

If cases are bulging during reloading, the reloader doesn't know what he's doing. Just how can a case bulge forward of the belt while it's being sized?

If you're equipped to do it .... compare a factory round (at the chamber) to one of your fired cases .... you will be surprised.

Compare at what chamber? The rifle? Why not just measure? I'm equipped but you're double-talking here.

However, I've found that some forums can develop a unique personality. The friendliness of this site is overwhelming.

Your sarcasm is also overwhelming. If you're equating "friendliness" to skepticism, you're certainly right about at least ONE thing.

I've run into you on at least 3 sites where you've been laughed right out, and on one even strongly told to stay away. That's because where I've hung out there are usually MANY knowledgeable and competent reloaders. I've yet to hear one say that die is necessary or even useful, much less from someone whose knowledge and competency I respect.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got what?

Just asking.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Promotional post are reserved for paying advertisers only. Please contact advertising24hourcampfire.com if you have any questions or would like ad rates.

Thanks for your professional courtesy.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've seen your gauge. It has merit. I see no reason to change from my way which also works well and I'm comfortable with it.

Peace be with you.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Promotional post are reserved for paying advertisers only. Please contact advertising24hourcampfire.com if you have any questions or would like ad rates.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wbyfan1
Is the OP a shill? Not many posts by either party and they're right here. Marketing?

A shill??? Come on bobski, give me a break here. I'm relatively new to reloading and am a total neophyte when it comes to loading belted cases. In a quest to increase my reloading IQ, I've become a voracious reader/researcher of all things reloading. I just purchased my first rifle(Mark V Deluxe-270Wby Mag)that shoots a belted magnum and want to learn as much as possible about reloading for it. Just so happens I've come across the bulging case issue a few times and was curious. I thought since this site seems to have lots of knowledgable folks, I'd inquire about the case bulge issue. Got it???

Sort of new here myself, so please someone tell me if I am out of line here?

But for a someone that just purchased their first rifle, and is "relatively new to reloading" sure has their .25-06 dialed in.

hillbilly,

I have a Remington 700 Classic in the 25-06. I've tried several differnt powders and bullets. (Including the Nosler 100gr. Ballistic Tip)

In my experience, no matter what the bullet, the H-4831 always produces the most consistent groups and velocity's. The 100 gr. Sierra Flat Base spitzer over a charge of 56 gr. of H-4831 and a Rem 9 1/2 mag primer, gives consistent 5 shot groups of .4 to .7 inches. The velocity is 3250 fps(24 inch barrel).

I know every gun is different, but a few buddies who have 25-06's have also experienced the same results with the H-4831 and the 100gr. Sierra Spitzer.

Just Saying.

Also, just curious, you have any links or references as it.... "Just so happens I've come across the bulging case issue a few times and was curious."

Just curious, getting back into reloading after several years away, have retired pails full of worn out belted brass, but have a hard time believing your question has much merit?

It has never been a huge problem.

Thanks

Kevin Salonek

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm a big believer in neck sizing the belted cartridges, but never with full length dies. I have had serious problems with using FL dies to neck size, or PFL, as the shoulder was pushed forward making chambering difficult. When neck sizing, I use neck sizing dies.

Recently bought Lyman's collet neck sizer for the 300 Win Mag, and it's a dandy. It squeezes the neck around a mandrel. The only problem I had was that the stock mandrel wasn't sizing the necks small enough to hold the bullets firmly enough, so I bought one from Lyman that is about a thousandth smaller than stock. Works perfect.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'll jump in and play the game. I have one of the innovative dies and like it and would buy another. I have a friend with a couple of very accurate 270 wby custom rifles. They get the "bulge" within 2 reloads with my hornady dies. The first night I got the innovative die we "reclaimed" over 100 cases. The die was paid for.
Before ebay quite selling brass I bought a ton of once fired 7mm mag win brass. I use the die on these before I convert them to 257 wby. I like the die cause it shrinks down the brass to new dimension so when I run them into the wby die the energy of the stroke of the press goes into forming the shoulder and neck cause there is virtually no resizing of the body. So, there (at least for me) is another great use of the die.
Not everyone needs it. I like having nice stuff and this is a great addition to my "tools" of reloading.....and Ican tell you overall I've spent alot LESS than many people I see.

IC B3

W
wbyfan1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by K_Salonek

Sort of new here myself, so please someone tell me if I am out of line here?

But for a someone that just purchased their first rifle, and is "relatively new to reloading" sure has their .25-06 dialed in.

hillbilly,

I have a Remington 700 Classic in the 25-06. I've tried several differnt powders and bullets. (Including the Nosler 100gr. Ballistic Tip)

In my experience, no matter what the bullet, the H-4831 always produces the most consistent groups and velocity's. The 100 gr. Sierra Flat Base spitzer over a charge of 56 gr. of H-4831 and a Rem 9 1/2 mag primer, gives consistent 5 shot groups of .4 to .7 inches. The velocity is 3250 fps(24 inch barrel).

I know every gun is different, but a few buddies who have 25-06's have also experienced the same results with the H-4831 and the 100gr. Sierra Spitzer.

Just Saying.

Also, just curious, you have any links or references as it.... "Just so happens I've come across the bulging case issue a few times and was curious."

Just curious, getting back into reloading after several years away, have retired pails full of worn out belted brass, but have a hard time believing your question has much merit?

It has never been a huge problem.

Thanks

Kevin Salonek

This is un-real. I come here looking for info on reloading a belted magnum and end up with a couple of jack-azz's accusing me of trying to sell some guy's product I've never even heard of until a week ago!!!

Hey Kevin...you possess the reading comprehension of a 3rd grader. I didn't say the Mark V is my first rifle. I said it's my first rifle that shoots a belted magnum!!! I do have a 25-06 and I do load for it. I also load for my 220 Swift. Last time I checked, neither of those contain a belt. As for loading experience, I do have very little compared to most. I've loaded about 150 rounds between those 2 calibers. I would call that minimal experience, relatively speaking.

Have you and bobski perhaps forgotten to take your meds recently??? What a couple of azz wipes you two are!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Speaking of farm animals:

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
on ocasion I get that "click" when lifting the bolt handle the last little bit,and was told that the area just in front of the belt is the culprit,because the die cannot size this area all the way to the belt,I never get the "click with new brass usally with 2nd and third firing's,both of my 300 win mags experience this problem,I'm sure I'm not the only person to experience this, Idea's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw.

Gotcha!

Thanks!

As the larger point, as Fan1 suggested, doing a search as to how often bulging belted cases comes up on the web.

What is the chance that someone brings up the problem, most do not believe that it's that huge an issue, and someone else comes along with the solution?

It's funny reading when you get to the point where site owners give warning about marketing!

Back in the day, early 70's, reloading with my Grandpa, there was not a lot of equipment available. Now we are very fortunate that some will take on issues, however frequent the problems are, and manufacture solutions.

I for one will go for more of a direct approach, it seems more honest.

Kevin

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

How did you guys ever advance from shooting muzzle loaders?

- Innovative

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Is that like prison sex? confused

The more you fight it, the more it hurts.

Stop fighting, relax a little bit and it won't hurt so bad.

You might even get to where you like it.

Does this apply here? laugh

fish head

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When they gots too heavy to carry when you tie a sharp rock to the end of them!

And some them critters, however so tasty, ducks when you swing the other end at them.

Ever conciser a video describing and using the die?

My comprehension is not that good?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi,
I have been a handloader for 30+ years. My favorite rifle a 375 H&H with it�s belted cartridges have never given me any problems. It is a myth IMO that belted cartridges give a shooter/handloader problems.
Maybe they are just considered "old fashioned" and the manufacturers need to sell new and more guns (with non-belted cartridges).
How many owners and longtime users complain about this belt? Not many.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Why do some get so freaked out?"

Larry, if some folks admitted they don't already know every thing it would hurt their self image, you know?

Personally, I find all the pontificating that "If I don't need it, no one needs it" to be amusing!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 10Glocks, 338reddog, 35, 6mmbrfan, 13 invisible), 843 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,903
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.