-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 56 of 75 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 74 75
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry no photos, but I just spent a long week end in a not to far away similar altitude and can probably predict fairly closely what to expect over at Jack Creek.

The creeks are full, way past full in fact -- I haven't seen such good runoff for many years around here.

For those more familiar with the way things are around here, I was in Medicine Bow but nearer to Laramie Peak.

We went up Fall Creek starting at the Boy Scout Camp, over the saddle and down Ashenfeilder, Whiskey, Roaring Forks, and Horseshoe creeks and came out at lower Horseshoe where my truck was parked. The last time I tried that trip I was 15 years younger and 50 lbs lighter uggg. I got blisters on top of blisters and am rubber legged for a few days now.

The fishing wasn't too bad, considering the amount of runoff and the pine needle tea -- those fish had millions of gallons to hide in, but we all caught our share and let them go except for a few dinner ones. 10"- 17" rainbows, browns and brookies. Could of caught them all day long if we wouldn't of had to been hiking most of the days.

There is still snow high up under the trees but but not enough to be a problem -- we did get in a bind in a pine beatle/burn/blow down that lasted several miles. More like constant corral climbing than hiking, and when we got to Horseshoe there was way too much water to cross whereever you wanted -- so everytime a cliff came to the edge of the water (many times), we had to go up and around, because I don't swim whitewater LOL. So what should of been about a 14 mile hike probably turned into 28 miles and a bunch of it was rock climbing.

the weather was awesome though -- hoodies where plenty and too much at times -- we did get a few little showers and walked them off, but the moisture on the low growth got us wetter than what was coming out of the sky -- we were soaked from the knees down most of the time, and there is plenty of mud around to deal with too.

BTW,
Elkhunter,

I had heard from you that lower Horseshoe was closed to camping -- Amanda, my daughter from Glendo also confirmed this and said they were run off there too. So I never planned to camp there anyway was just parking a truck to hike out to, but there were campers at all the places along there that spent the whole weekend?

Did they change their tune or what, do you know? Maybe somebody, or lots of somebodies, got a message to the state that state land doesn't belong to people in state of Wyoming trucks, but to state of Wyoming Citizens? Have you heard more about this?

Jacques

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F

Please excuse me......I initially posted this query in the wrong place.

I plan on leaving Hiway 70 west of Encampment, at Bottle Creek CG, and taking FS road 443 and FS road 452 to the "J.Creek gathering".

I've looked at some detailed maps, and FS443 is criscrossed by many side trails, there are many forks, intersections, and branches, etc.

Asking of anyone who is familiar with that _SPECIFIC_ route to J. Creek camp area......is the route obvious? Is the road marked with FS markers, telling you what FS road is what? Is FS 443 the most heavily travelled and best defined FS road on the route to camp, so that I can just follow the "most travelled trail"...and all the rest are just more or less "minor side trails"....?

The published route description is rather brief and simple, and since the total miles is approx 26....I may be uneasy about making all the correct twists and turns.

Please help me out here if possible........

FjLee Denver CO

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
FjLee shoot gotlost a PM.

Jacques as far as I know all State land is off limits to camping for everyone.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You may or may not make it.. depending on snow levels. I have not been over there this year. You might want to make plans to back out to Encampment, down to Saratoga and up that way.

I can tell you I was the first retard of the year to hit the Peak coming from Laramie about three weeks ago (same elevations) and it was no fun at all.

We pulled bear baits today at about 8000ft and there were plenty of four foot snow drifts to bust.

Last edited by wyoelk; 05/31/10.
eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Look up above in the thread...we have a backup plan smile

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Jackcreek from Saratoga should be no problem. Jackcreek from 70 could be interesting...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jack Creek road was open last week to the forest Buck fence line, I'll call the FS this week to get a update. The Back up will be South Brush creek CG. It's about a mile north of hwy 130 (Snowy range road). the last mile is the only dirt road getting there.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/mbr/recreation/camping/brushcreek/southbrushcreek.shtml

There is 20 camping spots and it will take 32' campers. it also is at 7,900' insted of 8,500 like Jack Creek cg.

I would not even try to take the forest road from Bottle Creek cg to Jack Creek. It's a bad road in the fall let alone early spring.

Last edited by gotlost; 05/31/10.

If you cann't stand my spelling use the ingore feature.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks...we will keep an eye out for your updates..

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just pulled up the keystone cam. there's elk at 8,700'.

http://dayweather.com/keystone/weathertext.html

Last edited by gotlost; 05/31/10.

If you cann't stand my spelling use the ingore feature.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
There must be some green up there for them....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yep, we had some of the lazy brown critters back up in the trees where we were today.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Its greening up around here too, and elk elk follow the "green line".

Ingwe

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
They do but some are just way too lazy... I can still find a herd or two out in the grass living the easy life. Dont blame them a bit.

Last edited by wyoelk; 05/31/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I have to back out of going. Family issues have come up and I will likely have to be elsewhere. I am not happy about it, it would have been nice to see the country and meet you folks!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Well, I have to back out of going. Family issues have come up and I will likely have to be elsewhere. I am not happy about it, it would have been nice to see the country and meet you folks!

Sorry you're not going to make it. I was looking foward to meeting you.

fish head

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Same here! hope everything works out for your family Tex.

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This is the list of people I have that are committed to coming, if I have missed someone, please let me know! ALL Campfire members are welcome!

June 11-13 at Jack Creek Campground and crew quarters

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/mbr/recreation/cabinrentals/jackcreekcq.shtml

Lodge sleeping list!
Tracks
rattler (4)
himmler
Dan Adair
ingwe
wyoguide (2)
Whip

Guest list: please update your status as I removed names of those who have not committed or responded in awhile.

elkhunter76 - WY
JacquesLaRami - WY (2)
derby dude - MT (2)
KC - CO (2)
Kamerad Les - CO
Tracks - CO
himmelrr - CO
rattler - MT (2)
ingwe - MT
Cheyenne - WY (3)
MackMan - CO
gotlost - WY
wyoguide - WY (2)
Dan Adair - MT
wyoelk - WY
Whip - NW Montana
ltpowell - TX
muledeer36 - WY (5)
FjLee - CO (2)
Fish head - CO
Calhoun - Nebraska (2)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh My, that list looks like a true sampling of scoundrels and hooligans, will I be safe? wink

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Oh My, that list looks like a true sampling of scoundrels and hooligans, will I be safe? wink

I'm bringing my Lady along she will protect me. grin

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll be there alone, my youngests birthday is that weekend, and Momma already had a party with all her little friends set up. I have to get here a nice present as I am going to be in Saratoga for her 4th birthday. shocked

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Page 56 of 75 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 74 75

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 1minute, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 63 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,451 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,191
Posts18,484,973
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.