-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had a toyota 4 runner, and a xtra cab toy truck with a shell on it. The truck with a shell beats an SUV in just about every category. The FJ probably has a slightly smoother ride, and as a dedicated off road vehicle might have a slight edge.

That said, in terms of carrying stuff, and putting smelly messy stuff in the bed, you can't beat a truck.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I looked at both the Tacoma and FJ and 4 Runner. My friends have all 3 and I test drove all of them. Ended up buying the Tacoma, quad cab with the long bed. Have a leer to for it. Us it to throw in game, cut wood, haul trash, throw small boat in back.

Great smooth ride on the highway too
IMHO truck more versatile than an SUV

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have both a cruiser and Pickup, in both South Africa and the USA.

For pure offroad use the Cruiser might be the best rig ever made off the factory floor. However for hunting the pickup is not just a great off road truck, but has much more versatile use with the capacity of the bed under a canopy. I love my cruisers, but would not be able to give up the use of the bed on the pickup.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I too ended up with the Tacoma Double Cab, Long bed with a cap (ARE). Much more room than an FJ, and more versatile. Off road it is tooooooooo loooooooooooooong, but that is the only downside I can think of.

Ready, Fire, Aim
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a double cab Taco with a steel frame shell, and HAD multiple 4Runners and hilux pickups. Even the runner had more cargo room than an FJ and we kept the double cab Taco. I'd suggest that if I can't get there in my Taco I should be walking, and I used to call a double air locked, double transfer cased solid axle 4runner my DD/hunting rig.

The FJs win hands down for 'cool factor', but the Taco spanks it for using every time.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I actually own one of each right now. The wife drives the FJ and I drive the Tacoma. I personally would rather drive my tacoma any day of the week. It rides much smoother and drives better. There is nothing wrong with the FJ it's just that I don't really like it. Someone said above that if your tall you have trouble with your view, This is very true. I will buy myself another Tacoma when this one is wore out. Just my opinion.

Jack

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A couple of inches and 32's or 33's seems to help the truck not seem so long smile

Sean
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have owned 5 Toyota 4x4 pickups. So many, not because of problems, rather I used to drive 'em around 180k miles a year.

I bought an FJ because of the ride, the best in a true off road capable SUV. I am truly amazed at the places the FJ will go.

That all said, I have an '08 GMC 1500 4 door for hauling stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by John_G
Originally Posted by tzone
Tacoma with a topper.

because...?

Because?? Why the hell would anyone even need to ask that question.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Even the originals from the early 60's in the USA were probably the most well thought out and built ORV made right from the showroom floor.

No other vehicle has won the Baja 1000 and the Dakar in stock format even to this day!

I have a 77 FJ40 which lacks all the soft comforts of a current SUV sold in America today, but it's unmatched durability and Off road performance are not available from the currently made vehicles either.

The FJ sold today in the USA is not sold in many other countries. I've never seen one in Australia, ( you can still buy the land cruiser there) nor are they sold in South Africa( you can still buy a land cruiser here too). I have however seen them in Saudi Arabia. Funny how Toyota markets things in different countries.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah it is. I wish we could buy the hilux instead of the tacoma smile

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Diesel hilux would be perfect, but alas not an option.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Diesel hilux would be perfect, but alas not an option.

Why not? Do they have some Achilles heel that I am unaware of?

My university department has one, it has always taken me everywhere I wanted to go.

Diesel is not the great bargain it used to be here in Sweden, but Toyota diesels have the reputation of lasting forever so their resale value is still very high.

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They don't import them into the US, they are great vehicles, but we can't get them.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by SeanD
A couple of inches and 32's or 33's seems to help the truck not seem so long smile

Now you're talkin'.
Speed also typically overcomes clearance issues grin

Ready, Fire, Aim
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I understand that the FJ shares the running gear with the Prada outside the U.S.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (1936M71, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,191 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,547
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.