Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
from the pic it looks like a nice pack,

but (again from the pic) I'm thinkin I'd want to replace the hipbelt buckle system

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
GB1

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hi David,

I think you will be very happy with the pack.

Today I loaded both the MR 6500 and ILBE to 55 lbs and tested both out on some hikes.
At that weight, the ILBE wins hands down, it is so comfortable for my shape.
I've not loaded it with meat, yet, so that's an untested part of this pack for me.

Would love to hear feedback from you.

Here's the pack with an EB scabbard I attached, just messing around with it.

Without doubt this pack has all the quality of the very best made here in the USA for a 1/3 of the cost.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've been using an old pack from 20+ years back as my 4500 range pack.

I'm pretty interested in seeing how the ILBE works.

Have another 50 miler with the scouts this Aug on Ross Lake. That'll be a pretty good shakedown, IMHO.

Plus, I have a Kifaru multi-mission ruck (MMR) so Jack and me can do a side by side comparison.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Are you guys just buying the used ones? I haven't been able to find any that are new. For the price, I guess it doesn't really matter though.

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I bought one that was supposed to have been used but I could not tell it ever was. They are there to be had.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm working on a used one on e-bay.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SU35

Today I loaded both the MR 6500 and ILBE to 55 lbs and tested both out on some hikes.
At that weight, the ILBE wins hands down, it is so comfortable for my shape.

Ya sure you don't wanna sell the MR 6500 to me now. laugh

Glad the ILBE works for ya. Looks like a great bang for the buck pack.

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
You should try out an ILBE, you may be selling your 6500. lol

M
M
so do any big boys out there use one? what did you do for the belt?

i have a feeling my 40" waist is larger than 95% of marines grin

Nothing to see here.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
"Of course being in Marine shape helped him out."

Yeah, sometimes I like to pretend I'm as tough as I was 30 years ago in the Marines... But the steep ridges tell me otherwise... grin Ah well, I just chug along until I crest the hill, the miles just don't get eaten up as quickly as before.

Good looking pack, I may have to check on that...

Thanks, Guy

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Torso length? Adjust to 23"? I didnt see the numbers in the addy...
Tom

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"...
Edmund Burke
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by McWood
so do any big boys out there use one? what did you do for the belt?

i have a feeling my 40" waist is larger than 95% of marines grin

They do make a size large waistbelt but not sure where one could be obtained.

There is a demand for these packs as well orchestrated on Ebay. I saw brand new ILBE main packs - 2nd gen go for around $375 shipped. One seller had (8) brand new sealed ILBE packs complete with assault pack & hydration bag for $400 shipped. He sold all of 'em in about a week IIRC.

These are well made packs, the workmanship and material is very good, similar to a Kifaru or MR like SU35 stated.

What I don't like so far:

The quick release shoulder buckles, kinda bulky. I can easily slip outta my pack if I take a dump crossing a river but it was designed for the Marines. They have different needs and situations. I obtained some regular buckles and will have a local shop swap the shoulder buckles out. Not a deal killer.

The two lower side compression straps are close together and if not kept tight the buckles clang together - noisy. Again not a deal killer, one can easily remove one of them from each side.

What I do like: The weight, the material and color. Pack is very comfy (packed 45lbs so far) and has good features. It does have alot of straps so I ordered some MR webkeepers to keep it a bit tidy. The pack's material is waterproof and one can easily obtain a replacement shoulder harness or belt should those become worn or damaged.

I plan to use the main pack to hike in, unload, remove the lid and hunt with it from camp. If it rains or snows I carry a pack cover. The pack has plenty of room for a boned out deer (at least 4500cu).

Another plus is the assault pack, I was planing to sell mine but decided to keep it.

MtnHtr

Last edited by MtnHtr; 07/15/10.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Nice to see some pics of it, thanks for posting.

Buddy of mine that is in the 'Stan at the moment, has shipped two home, one of which he says he is going to give to me. I can't wait to try it out, seems like one hell of a pack.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'll be using one this year for colorado elk. Have not had a chance to give it a real workout yet but it seems to be very well made. Nicest pack I have owned yet. Nice price too on the used ones

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Very interesting SU.
A couple of things. One, I don't see any Delta Straps to cinch the waist belt tighter to the hips and the small of the lower back.
I much prefer my hydration bladders inside the pack and close to the spine. That better distributes the weight of the water and it tends to keep the water from freezing in really cold weather.
I do like the tallish and skinny design. Lots of apparently very effective compression straps look good too.
I like a top lid. Good place to carry a handgun.
All in all, a very good buy for carrying loads, etc. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 07/16/10.
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I much prefer my hydration bladders inside the pack and close to the spine.

Hello E,

Inside the ILBE back and close to the spine is a radio carrier/pouch that would work perfect for that application.

Marine description,

"The pack has an internal radio pouch, antennae hydration tube ports and an external bib for stuffing cold/wet weather gear, helmet etc onto the outside of pack. This bib also is built to house a 3L hydration carrier."

The pack gives you a choice for hydration, inside or outside.

No delta straps and doesn't seem to need them, I have not missed them.

The top lid is not heavy and really just right for the pack.

I have been especially pleased with it and believe it to be a more multi-purpose pack than my MR.

It may not be for everybody but it sure fits me.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I much prefer my hydration bladders inside the pack and close to the spine.

Hello E,

Inside the ILBE back and close to the spine is a radio carrier/pouch that would work perfect for that application.

Marine description,

"The pack has an internal radio pouch, antennae hydration tube ports and an external bib for stuffing cold/wet weather gear, helmet etc onto the outside of pack. This bib also is built to house a 3L hydration carrier."

The pack gives you a choice for hydration, inside or outside.

No delta straps and doesn't seem to need them, I have not missed them.

The top lid is not heavy and really just right for the pack.

I have been especially pleased with it and believe it to be a more multi-purpose pack than my MR.

It may not be for everybody but it sure fits me.

Yep, and it has load lifters for all the load lifter freaks! laugh

MtnHtr

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Yep, and it has load lifters for all the load lifter freaks! laugh

MtnHtr

I seem to remember a thread about load lifters. Can someone please verify that the ILBE load lifters are at the proper angle? wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You should try out an ILBE, you may be selling your 6500. lol

I would except I don't think I could fit a half a caribou or half a goat w/cape or a whole sheep in addition to my gear for a week or more when just 4200 in. Otherwise I would consider it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

I would except I don't think I could fit a half a caribou or half a goat w/cape or a whole sheep in addition to my gear for a week or more when just 4200 in. Otherwise I would consider it.

There is an ILBE Recon version, the main pack is larger at 5500cu. I've seen some great deals on these, seems to be less demand for them (and one krazy seller trying to peddle one for $945 on ebay)
Here is a few details on one: Link They can be had for under $400 new sometimes.

MtnHtr

Last edited by MtnHtr; 07/16/10.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (22250rem, 1minute, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,041
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.