Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I have a wood/blue Hawkeye 223 that I have been trying to get a load for. I have been working up loads for the 40 gr Ballistic Tip as a coyotes, prarie dogs and other stuff load and with the 60 gr Ballistic Tip as a cheap substitute for the 60 gr Partition that I hope to use for pronghorn. I haven't bedded it yet, and I hope to do that. I put in a new trigger spring to lower the pull and that helped groups a bit.

The last three times I went to the range I noticed that it likes to throw bullets a little higher in the group some of the time. This time the camera went along for the trip. I can't really find a pattern to which shot is higher up in the group. It was between 80 and 90 when I shot today and the barrel was kept warm, though time was given to cool the barrel down between shots, so it never got hot. I cleaned the bore before the second to last trip and after going to the range today. It was pretty clean after today, so I don't think that is the problem.

[Linked Image]

The same load
[Linked Image]

I forgot in what order these went into the group. The other 60 gr TAC group had two shots close together and two shots close together and two and a half inches up.
[Linked Image]

I don't think it liked the Varget. The other Varget group was similar.
[Linked Image]

This was the load used in the 2nd to last time I was at the range. This is a little better than the usual. No pictures, but an earlier trip this load had two groups that were spitting images of each other, making J shaped groups.
[Linked Image]

I really don't have a clue what is going on. I quite frankly don't know if the rifle is throwing fliers or if it is stringing vertically. Is this a bedding issue or a just not the right load issue? Any advice is welcome.

Nels
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm going to hazard a guess that maybe you're loads are kind of light. I've no experience with TAC, but I use a lot of Varget in the .223 and with both 60 grain Sierra HP's and 65 grain Sierra GK's I run 27 grains of Varget. I'd be interested in seeing what others think.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Bedding was the only solution for a hawkeye in 257.... for us. never have had much luck with rugers stuff unless you do quite a bit of work to it.

And as mentioned.... I'm running 25-26 with Varget and 69s... and IIRC 26.2 TAC with 77s in 223...

Your loads seem on the light side. Might try CCI BR4 primers with Varget.. And CCI 450s or Rem 7.5s with TAC... might help some.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
The only time I've gotten patterns like this, the front scope base screw bottomed out against the barrel before it got really snug. Grinding just a little off the tip of the screw fixed it nicely.

You might also check the front action screw for the same thing.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have seen defective scopes do just as you are experiencing. Have you tried another one?

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Are you cleaning between groups? I had one rifle drive me crazy and it turned out it liked to shoot about 5 rounds nicely. But due to some pitting at the muzzle end of the bore, it fouled quickly and began spitting them just like what I see on your targets.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Remove the stock and look for the action and barrel contact points with the stock. Vertical stringing is a common problem caused by a poor stock bedding. Try glass bedding the stock and free floating the barrel. To improve accuracy of bolt action rifles one can do one or more of the following. Glassbed the action , freefloat the barrel, adjust the trigger,recrown the muzzle, lapp the bolt locking luggs, remove wood from under the bolt handle, float the magazine box between the action and floor plate. Keeping all screw snug and clean the barrel is a given. I got my first rifle in 1949 and since then have owned various rifles. I listed what have worked for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All the things that bracer has mentioned could be the problem or a combination of some of them.

Bed & float the barrel first, then shoot; depending on results, you may need a pressure point of some sort...........some guns shoot best floated, some don't.

Pressure points (even neutral ones) & wooden stocks don't always work, long term, but you can at least find out it's effect.

Tight screws are obvious, but still missed form time to time.

Do not overlook the necessity of not having the mag box binding when the floorplate is closed. This is a fairly common malady with factory rifles at a gun with that condition will never be a consistent shooter.

MM

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
How do you fix the mag box binding issue? Are you saying the mag box is longer than it should be in some?

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
What everyone above said.
I sanded out the forend lump in the stock that the barrel hits as my first order of business with my Rugers, making sure the barrel is free floating. I had no accuracy problems after that, so I didn't glass bed the action, and a few inches out the barrel channel in the stock. I do make sure the action screws are torqued properly however.
My accuracy load with 40 gn Sierra Blitz bullets is H-335 with Fed 205 primers. Don't remember the powder charge off the top, but somewhere around 27 gns. You'll have to test your loads to see what rile likes best if you decide to go with 335. Three shots into 1/2" to 5/8" at 100 using a V-16x set at 16x.
I'd bet some money your groups will shrink by free floating your barrel. With the three Model 77's, all shot great w/the barrel floating.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dlharsh
How do you fix the mag box binding issue? Are you saying the mag box is longer than it should be in some?

Yes, if it binds, it's too long for the stock; boxes are pretty consistent, if there's a problem, it's usually caused by the stock being a bit thin,

Fix it by filing the BOTTOM of the mag box until it no longer binds.

Sometimes you have to look very carefully to discern that it's binding as it's not always an obvious thing.

MM

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
All of the above can br problems, but I've found that amost all Ruger 77's (whether tang safety or Mark II) shoot better with the barrel free-floated. This is by far the most common problem.

You can do a temporary test for this by taking the barreled action out then, when reassmbling it, placing one of those plastic twist-tabs from a loaf of bread just behind the recoil lug, between the stock and action. Reassemble the rifle and test to make sure the barrel is floated by running a piece of paper between the barrel and channel.

If that doesn't cure the problem then something else is wrong, but you also won't be out a real bedding job.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 07/26/10. Reason: taking a load off

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of good advice in this thread. I especially like JB's trick to see if free-floating will help before you do the whole bedding job. Now I have to go to town to get a 'load' of bread. I better take the pick-up. LOL

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nothing like a load of bread to take your worries away!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i am loading 26gr of varget with a 69gr match did notice a good group intill i got to max with varget

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks for all the advice! I don't know if the mag box is binding or not, but I have noticed that there is a space between the floor plate and the wood when closed. But I think it is just the spring that is doing that. The scope is a Pentax Pioneer and it adjusts well, but I will check it if the problem keeps happening. The two end screws are nice and tight, with the middle screw looser.

If the rifle needs to be cleaned every 5 shots, it is going down the road! grin

The barrel is floated now with a hot dog bun tab and and a bit of credit card. Thanks JB, that was a quick way to float the barrel. Some different loads will get worked up and I will head to the range tomorrow to see if the floating worked.

What velocity are you guys getting with your loads? Hornady lists 24.9 gr of Varget for both the 60 gr and 68 gr bullets and Nosler lists 24.5 gr of TAC and Varget for the 60 gr Bullet and 24.5 gr of TAC and 25.0 gr of Varget for the 69 gr bullet. I thought I was in the mid-range with my loads, but your guy's loads seem a little more than the books. Are manuals a little on the mild side for the 223?

Nels
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hodgdon goes to 26 of their Varget under the 69 grain Sierra.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I can only speak of the 45-70 and vertical stringing.One was primer used in cold weather and the other a bad hammer spring.

Jayco

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All of the above. However there is one thing not mentioned. At least I don't think it was mentioned, because I didn't ead the complete thread.

What wasn't mentioned was breathing. Uneven breathing can cause verticle stringing. It is most prevalient among target shooters from the standing position, but it can affect your group size from a bench rest, also.

Don't know if this is contributing to the problem or not, but it is one more avenue to explore, and fairly easy to eliminate.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
On the magazine binding issue. The Ruger makes clamping contact at both ends, the rear with the trigger guard and the front with the tab from front hinge. Just how much pressure should either of these contact points exert on the mag box? I've got one rifle where the front tab hardly makes contact at all and the mag box is actually too far to the rear, another where the box stands proud of the floorplate mortice enough to make heavy contact. Both are accurate rifles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (222Sako, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 3,184 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,707
Posts18,534,829
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.