Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LittleCanyonCreek
Thanks for all the advice! I don't know if the mag box is binding or not, but I have noticed that there is a space between the floor plate and the wood when closed. But I think it is just the spring that is doing that.

you may want to check that. i have notice that if i don't pay attention to how that box is placed into my stock that i will get what you just described. but if i go back and redo it and check everything then it will fit down in there without causing any pressure against the floor plate and i get a clean fit when closed and no space showing. it's to the point now if the floor plate doesn't close square to the stock i know the mag box is not in correctly.this holds true with all my ruger rifles i own. (centerfire of course)

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 07/27/10.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
JB, with respect to the plastic bread twisty, is it placed flat behind the recoil lug, lets say next to the forward action screw?
Or is it placed in a vertical position behind the recoil lug?
Thanks.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not JB, but the idea is to lift the action up a little bit so as to remove contact from the barrel and forearm. The plastic tab is just a spacer to accomplish this.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes I get that. But I am wondering where JB wants him to put the "spacer". I am assuming on top somewhere adjacent to the forward action screw.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Yes I get that. But I am wondering where JB wants him to put the "spacer". I am assuming on top somewhere adjacent to the forward action screw.

It would be placed on the action flat .

You want to raise the metalwork vertically in the stock..

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ok, thanks jim62, I thought that is the way it suppose to be.
JB wrote to put it "behind the recoil lug" so that was the reason for my clarification.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well, one caveat about the recoil lug.

Some actions have pretty SHALLOW lug engagement. The Ruger is one of them. So are some of the newer Sakos etc.

Just make sure there is good contact with the existing bedding and don't go overborard with the shimming material.

Me, I don't even experiment with the floating. I just do it.

Not only do 99% of the rifle shoot better that way, as long as the action is well bedded, the floating pretty much cures any wandering POI problems down the road.

Unless the gun in question is an "Object d'Art" created to show off flawless ,skin tight inletting, a neatly floated barrel is the way to go on a hunting bolt rifle, IMHO.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've done that with a XTR Fwt.. Improved it but still not good enough. I am playing around with some foreward pressure.
I did get a consistent two shots touching and the third 1 2/3 -2 inches away. Aussiegunwriter said that this means to seat the bullet deeper. I'll be checking that too.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I've done that with a XTR Fwt.. Improved it but still not good enough. I am playing around with some foreward pressure.
I did get a consistent two shots touching and the third 1 2/3 -2 inches away. Aussiegunwriter said that this means to seat the bullet deeper. I'll be checking that too.

Well, there are things wrong with many of the later New Haven built Model 70s that frankly, the most perfect bedding in the world cannot cure.

Been there ,done that.

They can be very frustrating rifles.

Last edited by jim62; 07/29/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
It does seem something's moving, doesn't it. All of the above bedding advise is good, and may reveal the "gremlin", but don't overlook the scope mounting system. The scope internals could be the culprit, but about the only way to find out is with another scope of known ability.
Good Luck,
Rick

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RickinTN
It does seem something's moving, doesn't it. All of the above bedding advise is good, and may reveal the "gremlin", but don't overlook the scope mounting system. The scope internals could be the culprit, but about the only way to find out is with another scope of known ability.
Good Luck,
Rick

By all means swap out the scopes. And check for anything loose.

Just don't do it all at once or you will not know which change made the diff.

I would swap scopes FIRST and eleminate that variable.

Then once I knew the scope issue was out, then start fiddling with the bedding.

In any case, it would be handy to have about 40 rounds of test ammo on hand.

To all gunmaker critics-
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes fellows, that is on the agenda. Its good to see "great minds" think alike.
Wouldn't that be a BREAK if it was the scope?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,162
Posts18,503,015
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.