Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If they'd have been quick out of the blocks with the .260 or 7-08, the .243 would be just another forgotten cartridge. smile

Aim for the exit hole.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
If they'd have been quick out of the blocks with the .260 or 7-08, the .243 would be just another forgotten cartridge. smile

Curb your tongue!!! shocked

grin
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I really didnt mean to stir the pot as wanted to get info from those that have used or have seen both the in field or on the range VS pouring over balistics tables and published information.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
inland...a year or so ago there was a 7mm-08 vs. .308 thread that went 350 pages IIRC....

lotsa pizzing matches, hijacks and entertainment!

Nothing resolved.....just the title of the OP is enough to get us off and running!!! laugh

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
FWIW, those supposedly "stock" Savages come out of the Savage custom shop. They ain't the same thing they hand you acrost the counter at Walmart.

Kinda like the NASCAR types saying "hee hee, me'n Dale drive the same car". smile

Aim for the exit hole.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
inland...a year or so ago there was a 7mm-08 vs. .308 thread that went 350 pages IIRC....

Nothing resolved.....just the title of the OP is enough to get us off and running!!! laugh

Ingwe

Exactly... And then Larry the UberTroll came back a few more times. That didn't help either.

I've yet to see a 7-08 with a 22" tube launch a 162 AMAX much over 2680 FPS. Even then, their advertised .625 BC is a friggin JOKE. At 7-08 speeds, when you do the math backwards its more like .520ish.

Even if it did break into the 2800's, according to JB, and other REAL ballisticians, if you applied the same amount of pressure to a 308, it'd still go faster...

So in the end, there still isn't a [bleep] animal on the planet that'd know the difference.

The FACT is, you CAN run a 165 grain bullet out of a 308 (with a BC in the .5's) at 2750ish FPS, WITHOUT gimmicks, excessive pressure, or excessive drama.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by inland44
I really didnt mean to stir the pot as wanted to get info from those that have used or have seen both the in field or on the range VS pouring over balistics tables and published information.

Well, that does make it simpler.

I like the .308 best, but it's a private thing!
crazy

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
were it a gunfight, i'd take this 308

http://www.highreadytactical.com/catalog/product.asp?pid=66985&ret_id=943830

- Caliber: 308 Win./7.26x51mm
- Magazine Capacity: 20
- Barrel Length: 20"
- Overall Length: 41 1/2"
- Length of Pull: 14 1/8"
- Weight: 10 lbs.
- Rate of Twist: 1 turn in 12 "
- Operating Principle: Gas-operated autoloader
- Magazine Type: Detachable Box Magazine
- Stock Finish: Matte Black
- Stock / Grip: Ergonomic adjustable synthetic stock
- Additional Description: Fluted Barrel, Multiple MIL-STD 1913 rails

and they can have a bolt action 7mm-08

Last edited by DAMARA; 08/01/10.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

Maybe not but you will soon be renamed "Mr. Maytag" for your agitating ways!!! grin

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Were it a Gunfight.

I'd want the other guy toting a 308...............

Damara stole my thunder.

There are many, many , many, people who thought a .308 was nothing to fear. Right up to the point that they took a 175 grain "smoke check" round at @ 1000 yards in their chest.

Both are exceptional game rounds capable of very good accuracy and kill well beyond their size. But do not confuse the issue. The 7mm/08 man does not want to take lightly a competant combatant with a good .308. You will loose.

As far as game rounds go it is simple,

Like smaller lighter bullets and less recoil, choose the 7mm/08.

Like to be able to push a larger caliber heavier bullet
choose the .308.

I like both but chose the .308 early on and do not regret my decision. It has kept the freezer full and the bloodtrails short.

When it came time to pick a 7mm rifle I skipped the 7mm/08 as I already had a very good .308.

Now if you want to pick nits...I picked the 7x57. A round that obviously is much better, much more powerful, much prettier, much more efficient, much sexier, and just plain classier than the lowly orphaned bastard child of my beloved .308. cool

Time to break out the popcorn.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

IC B3

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I might try this in a fight . . . . .

[Linked Image]

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by fyshbum
Were it a Gunfight.

Now if you want to pick nits...I picked the 7x57. A round that obviously is much better, much more powerful, much prettier, much more efficient, much sexier, and just plain classier than the lowly orphaned bastard child of my beloved .308. cool

Time to break out the popcorn.

grinYou got me chuckling, thanks! So I might as well add too where this thread is headed:

If American riflemen and gunwriters hadn't been so hard at work overstuffing their egos, like some do cartridge cases, and Remington's think tank and marketing dept. had a better approach, we might have the 6mm instead of that other bastard child, the .243 Win. smirk

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe

Exactly... And then Larry the UberTroll came back a few more times. That didn't help either.

I've yet to see a 7-08 with a 22" tube launch a 162 AMAX much over 2680 FPS. Even then, their advertised .625 BC is a friggin JOKE. At 7-08 speeds, when you do the math backwards its more like .520ish.

Even if it did break into the 2800's, according to JB, and other REAL ballisticians, if you applied the same amount of pressure to a 308, it'd still go faster...

So in the end, there still isn't a [bleep] animal on the planet that'd know the difference.

The FACT is, you CAN run a 165 grain bullet out of a 308 (with a BC in the .5's) at 2750ish FPS, WITHOUT gimmicks, excessive pressure, or excessive drama.

Douche Adair,

I always get a kick out of your contrived nonsense and your F&S "findings". One couldn't begin to fathom the incredible things you've never seen,done and couldn't understand,which only reliably adds to the comedy.

The Do-nothing Gang is always eager to expound upon how little they know,as extrapolated by how little they shoot and that never ain't not a riot. It'd be difficult to write comedy on that level. How to make it even more hilarious? Ask The Gang to flaunt some of their collective "results",frosted by their "knowledge" and "experience". That'd be funny in both Theory and Application,which do define sublime.

Had you even ever SEEN a 162 and set it along a 165/8,you'd then have an inkling to the humor associated. Much to your chagrin,I enjoy the luxury of not being forced to guess and admittedly...it ain't a bad way to roll. Though it is something you'll never know or even experience,due to a series of incredibly humorous factoids...starting with your IQ.

For the Krunchenticker Krowd,I'd greedily take a 7-08 MBR over a 308 version of same. Twist it 9",chrome line the tube and get outta the way.

You may now return to your Fantasies,replete with the realities associated with their "results".

So laffin'...................

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Why is it the less difference between cartridge/scopes/running shoes the more debate there is about them? I'll bet slick Madison Avenue marketing types have a term for this.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah, I am perpetually amazed that our ancestors were able to win 2 World Wars and kill so much big game around the world with the lowly .30-06 and several lesser rounds. whistle

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I know, I know, here we go again. I know that many of these threads over lap and there is alot of cross over, but Im going to ask the question anyway. As a deer rifle with comprable loadings I would like to hear others opinions and field experience with these two rounds. Spicificly balistics, long range capablities and terminal preformance.

Thanks
.................There are a few differences that can be nit-picked and debated, but either one is excellent for deer and even larger game. The 7/08 is not a 7 Rem mag nor a 7 RUM, just like the 308 isn`t a 300 Win or RUM. Not to say that the 7/08 and 308 aren`t capable, but if you see yourself shooting deer "consistently" say beyond 400-500 yards on average (highly unlikely), then imo, you might want to consider more speed with flatter trajectories.

Terminal performances on game between these two, might well rest more so with the bullet choice rather than just the caliber by itself. To really better compare these two in terms of downrange velocities, energy retentions and trajectories, a real good and fun idea, is to find an on-line external ballistics table like the one on the Hornady site assuming it is still operating there.

For both rounds, type in the various bullet weight, the bullet BCs, your est MVs, approx temps, etc and view all the #s. Then whichever #s best suit your hunting needs, situations, terrain, etc the majority of the time, pick that cartridge.

Doing that will get you down to the nut and bolt comparisons between the two.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
300 RUM..................end of story!!! LOL!!!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I know, I know, here we go again. I know that many of these threads over lap and there is alot of cross over, but Im going to ask the question anyway. As a deer rifle with comprable loadings I would like to hear others opinions and field experience with these two rounds. Spicificly balistics, long range capablities and terminal preformance.

Thanks

For deer there's no practical difference. If you're in a situation where either cartridge has a perceived advantage over the other, they're both wrong choices. If .308 is too big, you need a varmint cartridge, not a 7mm-08. If 7mm-08 is too small, you need a dedicated heavy game cartridge, not a .308. If the trajectory of the 7mm-08 seems advantageous, you should be shooting a .264 or 7mm mag. For what either does WELL, the other does WELL.

I guess I might lean towards the 7mm-08 for deer only. For general use, I might go towards the .308 .. it's got a little bit of [bleep]-around potential because of some .30 cal bullet options the 7mm does not have an equivalent for. Kinda silly, but I like the speer 110 grain flat nosed JHP and resized .312 (to .308) hollowpoint pistol bullets for whackin' rabbits 'n' so on. Kind of a funny thing to make your deer cartridge choice on. smile

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I shoot with an open mind and am never not looking for the better way and ballistic performance is always give & take.

That being said,nothing comes closer to the proverbial "Free Lunch"(all take and no give) than the 7-08 and good projectile selection. For conversation,a 22" 7-08 will easily make 2700fps with 162's and alotta folks push them quite a bit harder than that.

That being a given and factoring some Real World scenarios,there really isn't much to wish for,though I of course have on hand far greater capacity chamberings and in a selection of bore diameters. Such things make extrapolations easy and side by each R&D never isn't telling.

That combo will make over 1000 ft lbs of "energy" at sea level in a standard atmosphere,at the 800yd line...for those who concern themselves with such things. It's supersonic to the 1400yd line,for them that savvy. 1K is a sub 29.5MOA ele erector correction and sub 7MOA of 10mph full value wind....with a 1460fps+ arrival speed.

I get it that Douche Adair has never seen or shot the bullet and I never don't not look forward to her reiterating same. Frosts her azz too,that she runs [bleep] riggin' and has gotta guess about all things downrange,whether they comeups or terminal connections.

Funny to let a naysayer settle crosshairs,dope the erector and blow their own minds via sound tackle. My 22" #6 Lilja 7-08,is a great conversion piece,for them folks especially. I prefer my lighter/handier builds so chambered,but increasing mass allows a boob a better chance of breaking a good poke...thus it's impetus in the equation.

[Linked Image]

My 23" MTU contoured Mike Rock 11.25" 5R M852 chambered 308,is a solid build(gross understatement) and is also a machine far more capable than anything Douche has seen. Ballistics wise,she cain't hang.

[Linked Image]

I've some Garand familiarity and will happily touch base there too,for them brazen enough.

[Linked Image]

My kids love it.

[Linked Image]

Much looking forward to the next installment by The Do-nothing Gang...................

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"Which is better 7mm-08 vs .308?"

I don't know. Guess that is why I own both.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 160user, 1234, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 62 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,790
Posts18,515,999
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.