Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have to agree with everyone who has suggested SE Alaska. I took my one and only black bear near Petersburg. I did it for just a little over $3k with taxidermy. While my bear isn�t the biggest ever taken it is a good representative of the species. My bear�s skull measured 19-1/4� and he aged at 9 years. Defiantly made an excellent rug to hang on the wall and an experience I�ll never forget and I made a friend for life in Todd, whom I didn�t know until he invited me on this trip. We introduced ourselves to each other on a forum not much different from this one.

My bear after a shoulder shot with a .30-06 pushing a 200 grain Nosler Partition.

[Linked Image]

Posing for Pictures with my trophy, no Boone & Crockett bear but a hunt to remember.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Todd with his first Alaskan black bear as well. He used a .358 JDJ Contender.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For me it has never been about the animal as much as it has been about the experience.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice bears.Glad to see things worked out for you. Hope the original poster "Spotshooter" finds the same type of success with his search for a bear.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
[If you wish, you can register to a website for those who suck his balls at www.asrealasitgets.net

That does indeed seem to be the website where he should be using the name 'Imitated Often" grin

Note to ball suckers: It's only interesting/amusing if you are the first one to use a distinctive posting style. Everyone after the first is basically a toadie wannabe. wink

Never seen so many grown men try to imitate the way a guy posts online.........(grin)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pathetic actually. smile

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

So if a guy wanted to try it out, which type of bear and why.
What would you be sure to get out of it, and how much would you expect to pony up for the hunt.

I'm paying off my DIY gear so after that I'm planning on doing the extended hunts for what I can't do with my DIY stuff.

Spotshooter:

Trying to get back to the original subject of your post and hoping to avoid additional derrogatory comments.

I agree with taylorce1 SE Alaska is a great place to hunt black bears and for $2K-$5K it's about all you can afford. You can get bears in Canada but a nonresident has to hire a guide and that sends the price way up. Even in Alaska a nonresident has to hire a guide to hunt brown/grizzly bears, again the price goes way up. So that leaves black bears.

Right now reserve a U.S. Forest Service cabin on the Stikine River Delta for next May, and reserve a boat rental. Fly to Petersberg Alaska, pickup your rented boat and go to the cabin. Spend a week and you should get several chances to take a black bear which should be grasing on the tide flats as soon as they exit hibernation. You can pay for all of that and your nonresident hunting license/tags for $2K-$3K.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by ImitatedOften
My then 10yr old,(1) 140XLC inserted via 7-08 and this skull combined with Sister's above,Grosses 43-12/16" B&C.
[Linked Image]

That poor boy looks like he'd rather be playing basketball with his buddies - but I'm sure he's into hunting and hanging out with Dad these days. What's a "gross" score on a bear?

Spotshooter, It's obvious you should go to Alaska for black bears, POW island...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Gatehouse
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
[If you wish, you can register to a website for those who suck his balls at www.asrealasitgets.net

That does indeed seem to be the website where he should be using the name 'Imitated Often" grin

Note to ball suckers: It's only interesting/amusing if you are the first one to use a distinctive posting style. Everyone after the first is basically a toadie wannabe. wink

Never seen so many grown men try to imitate the way a guy posts online.........(grin)

You mean to tell me there is more than one "dink" with a severe personality disorder,unbelievable. And they try to copy one another!! How can guys with so much "real world experience,greater than any of us can comprehend" need to copy others. LMAO at these clowns.....LOL

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Dumbhorn's disorders,much curtails her visitation rights and handing those "special" kids loaded rifles with the safety off,do not help her cause. Though in fairness,stupidity is the gift that keeps on giving.

I see the whiners here are more than a little hesistant to talk Bears and for good reasons,as Rats & Rubs don't leave much to discuss...so lets add a 1000 more words of concise commentary.

[Linked Image]

Laffin'..................

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Skull?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Look at the head on that one!

great bear.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I see the whiners here are more than a little hesistant to talk Bears and for good reasons,as Rats & Rubs don't leave much to discuss...so lets add a 1000 more words of concise commentary.

Damn nice bear, but get over yourself - you live where big bears grow on trees. And FYI, I've custody of my kids who are smarter/taller than you.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
oh god, you said tree's...wait for it...wait for it..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look at the little "raisins" for eyes! Now that's a pumpkin head.

Alright, how long are you going to hold everyone in suspense or have guessing?? What did he score?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dumbhorn's disorders,much curtails her visitation rights and handing those "special" kids loaded rifles with the safety off,do not help her cause. Though in fairness,stupidity is the gift that keeps on giving.

[Linked Image]

Nice bear. I have a few nice ones, too, as the coast of BC grows a few big ones, as well. You can easily see the size of that bear with the well spaced ears and the forehead "crease" so typical of good sized bears. That is a good note for new bear hunters, BTW...Ear space on a bear may look good because of "saggy" skin in the spring, but small ears + forehead crease + swaggering body= mature bear.

But it's still funny to see so many toadies try to make posts like Big Stick..............(grin)

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Lots of things to keep a person occupied doing a coastal hunt and of course I'm partial to SE Alaska.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/Shoalcove/4th1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/Shoalcove/FISH1/Halibut1July.jpg[/img]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Steelhead,

Beautiful pictures, and a good point the bear hunt is only a small part of the experience when you go to Alaska. I can't wait until I can get back again. We tagged out by our second full day in Alaska. We had beautiful sunny days and the bears were out in force. Our last few days weren't as nice and the bear spotting was a little less frequent.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If I didn't live in a state with bears, I'd go to Alaska or BC. Awesome places no doubt. I've been to AK 4 times in the last 3 years, but never to hunt. I was just there in July for a week.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's the beauty of spring bear hunting in SE. So much daylight and so much to do. I can't come up with a reason to start chasing bears before about 4pm, so that gives one the entire day to do other stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look at the head on that one!

Yeah, and the bears pretty big too!
grin

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 5 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,417
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.