Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
65BR, it is also .264 Win Mag, chambered with the same reamer. it has a Lilja #7, three groove barrel. the AI .300 Win. magazines work like a champ with .264

i found a guy selling once fired .264 brass from a ballistics lab a year or so ago and got 5K. i've always had a .264 around, but now i can "justify" a few more.

Paul, tell me about your .264. i've seen it mentioned but never saw the particulars.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok, thought maybe you were set up for comp or tac shooting.

Cheap brass, helps, but 5k should burn out ALOT of 264 WM bbls smile

Again, nice rifles.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
just saw this.....Here's my experience with 6X. Yes it will work for long range..Had mine on a custom .284. Could hit clay birds at 600 reliably. Had to hold off as the cross hair coverd them up but it worked ok. but i didn't like it in actual hunting conditions. I was trying to get a mule deer buck that was feeding in some oak brush just a little over 400 yds away. He was with 4 other bucks. As they were working through the brush it was very hard to keep track of him as well as be sure that I could thread a bullet through a openeing in the brush. Going back and forth between the scope and binocs sucked up too much time. Let him walk. With a higher power scope I would have taken the shot. On my three long range rifles,.300 Ultra, .270 ROY, and .257 ROY I now have 4.5X14 Leupys and all is good.

Left C

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No cookie cutter approach for scopes for hunters in EVERY situation. A variable to 10x up thru 16x is not out of place for you Left C.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
JanA,

You get pretty lippy for someone who's "knowledge base" and "experience",consist of a coupla Rats,some Titts and an A-Bort. Though it is fitting,that your "results" run commensurate with those very things,if only because that's Reality.

Let's have you take the comedy even further and muse your chamberings/boolits and the like,while really driving home how those "big X's" work in your favor. Then say something about how you'd of never managed those Rats or Titts,less them things(feel free to burn extra bandwidth on the X Thing).

Would be fun to gun for Pink Slips with your A-Bort and them Fantasies,against my "lowly" 6x...if only because wrapping that POS around a tree would crack me up.

You are in so far over your pointy head,it is amazing. Here I am hanging sub .5MOA at the 710yd line,while laughing at the likes of you and merely gunning center mass less an aiming point(in the wind).

LINK

Closeup.

[Linked Image]

Real World results of same,in the field(from a 13yr old girl,no less)..............

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ImitatedOften
You are in so far over your pointy head,it is amazing.

You're right. When it comes to firing off insults in rapid fire, making things up and otherwise showing complete lack of integrity, you and your crew have me beat. Easily. No contest. Though those are not areas in which I wish to "compete."

I think this guy on SH summed it up well the last time you got banned (I think it was the last time anyway, but it's hard to keep track):

It's worth those of us who are not banned (over and over) to take note that this individual was not able to support what he was saying and attempted to put the onus back on the individual he was trying to troll. A very common method which is used in cases where people can't support what they want to argue. Deflect from having to provide input and force others to run around�Repeated bans and comming back for more indicates some real "life" issues.

Still helping push rumors Nightforce scopes are made in China? Or as you call them, "Nightfarce?" No wonder you're so well liked with the long range crowd. Just another example, when you decide you don't like something facts and the truth matter little.

Here I am hanging sub .5MOA at the 710yd line,

Seriously? Nice shots on the edge of the plate. You do realize those would have been completely out of the 1100 yd bull I posted even though they were shot in better conditions, right? A good group on a critter's kneecap is better than a hole through the vitals?

Feel free to overwhelm us with video of shooting beyond 1000 yds. Of course I have the feeling if you had any you would have posted it already instead of that tired old 700 yd bit.

Just like if you actually had an answer to my question on techniques to deal with wind, you would have answered. But it's much easier to call me a name. That doesn't require any actual knowledge. See the above quote.

Getting back to the point, the annoying thing is that while you have thrown a few rounds at range, your group of disciples who are here 24/7 (because they aren't constantly getting banned) pushing the 6X fixed with turrets on everybody for every application by and large haven't done a damn thing beyond muzzleloader range. And yet they're here in the long range section telling people how to do it and what to do it with. "Over their pointy little heads," you might say.

Oh well, clueless or not, if their advice saves a few long range people from buying "NightFarces" that should give you a giggle. We all know they suck for LRH.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Careful who you speak for numb nuts.I've done plenty at long range, it wasn't the point of this thread,of which you haven't understood since the beginning.(at least what I've been trying to tell you)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Huh.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rosco1
Careful who you speak for numb nuts.

Oh, I wasn't speaking for you, don't flatter yourself. While you also prefer higher powered scopes like I do, you decided to hypocritically argue the other side for some reason, making things up to do it. I'll let that speak for itself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Stick what's the green stuff on the knobs on Lil Sis's rig?

Tape?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
"Stick, how long have you been away from this place.

That young lady is getting all grown up. I have missed your pics of the kids doing the things that turn boys into men and girls into women.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
my longest shot on an animal was a 140 lb buck at 700 yards. He was grazing with his head facing left, and I had time to get the distance with the Leica, dial up the yardage on the scope.

I was shooting a custom 7 STW with the 140 Combined Tec bullet at 3650 with a 8-32 Burris Black Diamond on top. At 32x, on the left side of the crosshair I could see a little bit of his head and a hint of hair on his shoulder. On the left side of the crosshair, I could see the back of his rib cage and butt. With the Vias muzzle break, at the shot, I could see that he folded in half like an accordian.

We have a food plot set up that is 550 yards from our stand, closest shot. If the wind is blowing the right direction, we may hunt that stand (deer will often walk with their noses into the wind to smell predators or does in heat in front of them). It is amazing how many times you may opt not to take a shot due to a limb or small sapling being in the way that would not be visable with a lower powered scope.

No one scope can do it all, and I am certainly not advocating the use of high powered scopes all the time for deer sniping.

It is important to match your equipment to the application and know your limitations.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by keith
(deer will often walk with their noses into the wind to smell predators or does in heat in front of them).

Thanks

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by keith
(deer will often walk with their noses into the wind to smell predators or does in heat in front of them).

Thanks

Classic! laffin'

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jon,

I didn�t know that Aerospace Engineers didn�t not ain�t can�t be technically savvy�if only...just sayin'...

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by JonA
Originally Posted by ImitatedOften
You are in so far over your pointy head,it is amazing.

You're right. When it comes to firing off insults in rapid fire, making things up and otherwise showing complete lack of integrity, you and your crew have me beat. Easily. No contest. Though those are not areas in which I wish to "compete."

I think this guy on SH summed it up well the last time you got banned (I think it was the last time anyway, but it's hard to keep track):

It's worth those of us who are not banned (over and over) to take note that this individual was not able to support what he was saying and attempted to put the onus back on the individual he was trying to troll. A very common method which is used in cases where people can't support what they want to argue. Deflect from having to provide input and force others to run around�Repeated bans and comming back for more indicates some real "life" issues.

Still helping push rumors Nightforce scopes are made in China? Or as you call them, "Nightfarce?" No wonder you're so well liked with the long range crowd. Just another example, when you decide you don't like something facts and the truth matter little.

Here I am hanging sub .5MOA at the 710yd line,

Seriously? Nice shots on the edge of the plate. You do realize those would have been completely out of the 1100 yd bull I posted even though they were shot in better conditions, right? A good group on a critter's kneecap is better than a hole through the vitals?

Feel free to overwhelm us with video of shooting beyond 1000 yds. Of course I have the feeling if you had any you would have posted it already instead of that tired old 700 yd bit.

Just like if you actually had an answer to my question on techniques to deal with wind, you would have answered. But it's much easier to call me a name. That doesn't require any actual knowledge. See the above quote.

Getting back to the point, the annoying thing is that while you have thrown a few rounds at range, your group of disciples who are here 24/7 (because they aren't constantly getting banned) pushing the 6X fixed with turrets on everybody for every application by and large haven't done a damn thing beyond muzzleloader range. And yet they're here in the long range section telling people how to do it and what to do it with. "Over their pointy little heads," you might say.

Oh well, clueless or not, if their advice saves a few long range people from buying "NightFarces" that should give you a giggle. We all know they suck for LRH.

JanA,

You quoting someone as dumb as you,is well beyond Priceless. That's humor on an incredible number of layers and upon an impressive scale to boot!

Feel free to wax eloquent upon how in your "experience" a sub .5MOA windage adjustment at the 710yd line,precludes vitals from being aerated? A 3" shift in impact,won't keep The Dirt Nap from happening and that despite the obvious of the focus being an inkling as to how a 162 slips Real World conditions,less erector manipulation. That same is well over your head,do only sweeten the comedy associated with your "knowledge base".

1000yds is only "neat" to you,because you do so little of it. That humor is frosted nicely with your impetus that the superfulous X's you tout,very obviously do not enhance your "performance results". Pretty impressive to me,that you can't see a Good Critter,either nor or far. I'm curious though..just HOW can you be that bad and repeatedly?!!?

So much for the adage,that "every squirrel gets a nut". More accurately in your case it'd be,"JanA can't magnify herself outta The Dink Patch". As an aside,sucking ain't a "technique"(it's an affliction),despite your impressive mastery of same. Just thought I'd clarify that for you,if only in the interest of helping your game. Pun intended.

Grab hold of an A-Bort,toss her about and send a trio of pokes down range from MPAJ and please pick a dead calm day,so as to add to the inherent humor. Then touch base on how those Real World A-Bort Findings,do much to "enable" your Haybale Safaris and the sidesplitting "results" garnered. Drive it home with a Treatise on how all them X's aligned said "stars" and how you are operating in an AO of "magnitude". I'm laughing thinking about it!

Here's the same rifle at 1K,after I had a pard shoot a belly full MPAJ in pretty tough winds. He ran 3 for 3 on the rock his hand covers and I'm thinkin' you'll like the video too. For conversation,he raced home,bought a like rifle and scoped it in accordance...feeding it same(162's at 3100fps+). Sold his 300Ultra Sendero,to pave that path and admittedly all I could say was "Toldjaso". Funny how seeing is believing.

[Linked Image]

Put him on a Book Bear too,though it'll take you outta your "performance" realm,beings there was neither barbed wire nor haybales involved. Figured my Blaze Of Glory FN SPR A1 308 wearing a 3.5-10x M3 and scooting Scenar's,would make a nice Trophy Pic. Whatcha think? Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

Great time to say something about boolits,ballistics and the like�so the hilarity will reach new pinnacles. Only you,could pull something of that magnitude off and to know that you're oblivious to it's splendor,really is in fact SOMETHIN'. I'll happily rub your nose in your own stupidity,if only because there is soooooooooo much of it.

You go girl!

With luck,you'll feel compelled to reiterate your unbridled stupidity and mebbe hang some pics of the "spoils". Everyone gets a good yuck outta titty pics and Rat Dinks,especially when conjoined with a "riveting" tale,on how "years of experience" and a "deep understanding" of rifles/glass/boolits "enabled" same. Hell...I dare ya'.

I'm happy to muse glass,chamberings,contours,barrel length,load data,boolits,bases/rings,etc. and much look forward to doing it at your expense. Fingers crossed,that you wanna brag up an A-Bort too...but we both know better than that.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then mebbe you'll say something about only one rifle and only one scope and round count?!? Can't wait...and admitterdly,noone casts purtier than I..........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mr. Larry,

That's a pretty impressive collection of tactical style,long range rifles.

I only have one such rifle that resembles any of them,it is my most capable long range rig and I used it for my longest kill.

A Utah mule deer at 480 yards.

That rifle is chambered for 7mm Weatherby and shoots 160 grain Accubonds mostly.

But for most of my hunting,I'd rather carry something lighter and quicker handling,with a scope without turrets or a long range reticle.

This pretty much limits me to a max of 400 yards,or maybe 350 depending upon the chambering.

For most of my hunting,which I am pretty serious about,this is no great impediment.

You just seem pretty dogmatic,but I'd still love to meet you in real life.

I'm sure you could teach me a lot,but you might find you can pick up a little from a guy like me too.

PS

I loved your barrel break in video on you tube,first rate stuff.

PSS

ABolts can actually work pretty good,I've had a few that shot really well and gave me no troubles.

Later,

RD

Last edited by ruraldoc; 08/09/10.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We have a rock on our local range at 725 yds... it is plenty visible with a 6 power scope..its about the size of a deer's body..

I practice shooting at it frequently from the bench with a 6 power scope...of course off hand at 725 yds would be a little ridiculous... however practicing off the bench sure sharpens up the old eyeball with the scope and makes hitting stuff at say 300 yds off hand a lot easier..as it seems so much closer..

off season practice with a 6 power scope on small targets with a 22 at say 75 and 100 yds, does wonders for getting ready for deer season..

it is amazing on how fast that can help..

come pre deer season, I set up 4 targets at 100 yds, and shoot 25 rounds at each off hand.. I do a 100 shots a day, and do that for about 2 weeks or say 1000 rounds of ammo...

how many shots that actually are hitting the target part of the 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper dramatically increase per day...and you watch your groups shrink dramatically also..

I use a 6 power scope for that...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey John,

A couple years ago a cousin asked me to help him sight in his old 3006 the week before the rifle opener. Of course the range was packed. We dialed in his rifle with a tight handload I did up for him. A dozen or so shooters on sat waiting on some cross eyed drooler banging away from the bench with his mini 14 at a stick down at the 100 yard burm, of course without hitting it. Everyone was waiting on the tard and being polite not saying anything. He finished his mag and immediately reached for another 30 round mag. Most just watched in disbelief at his rudeness.

Standing beside a bench, I reached down and grabbed the cousins nicely sighted 06 and quickly nuked the stick off hand and quickly put the rifle back down. The entire line looked up and saw what happened except the shooter. The mini 14 ninja couldn't find his stick and someone else yelled all clear.

The whole line was busting up and the dork didn't have a clue. His girl friend was even sitting beside him and caught the whole thing. It was priceless, wish you where there.

Mike

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only thing surprising about that response was just how incoherent and nonsensical it was. You must have been really worked up.

You had two simple tasks:

1) Describe you technique of wind compensation for a shot such as mentioned; sort of an oral quiz so we can judge whether or not you have a clue. And you FAILED quite nicely. All you could say was how those 162's you use "slip" the conditions in the real world such that you don't need to compensate? Seriously?

You expect long range shooters not to double over with laughter at that "inkling?" That tells us all we need to know right there.

2) Provide some video evidence to WOW us with your much bragged about prowess beyond 1000 yards. You FAILED spectacularly with this one as well. All you could do is come up with a picture of somebody else with his hand on a rock? Seriously?

Nice pics. You sure must know that Leupold 6X42 like the back of your hand. You must be the world's foremost expert on them (maybe second only to E). So if a guy has owned 100 scopes and 97 of them were Leupold 6X42's with a couple odd 3.5-10's thrown in, what does he really know about long range scopes? Very little.

Tell me, what do you think of those S&B PMII's? What have been your favored power ranges over the years? Which of their reticles do you like the best? Double turn or single turn? MTC a help or a hindrance? What don't you like about them? Where do they fall short when compared with the L 6X42's for long range use? Please, do give us your thoughts based upon experience.

How about those Premiers? Similar to S&B performance in a different package you'd say? Which ones have you had? XR or no? Double or single turn work best for you? Rings on the ends and included caps cool or a PITA? What didn't you like about them? What does that 6X42 do these don't? (As a side note, interesting to note the USMC going from fixed 10X to 3-12X and now 3-15X...I guess they just don't know as much as you.)

How are you liking the new Vortex PST? Everything a MK 4 wants to be when it grows up at 1/2 the markup? Are they all they're cracked up to be? How do they compare? Which flavor is your preference, FFP, SFP, MOA, MIL? Knobs that match the reticle, how stupid is that? Have you found any issues with yours?

How about those IOR's? Now there's some glass for the money. How have you found their durability? Did the older covered knob scopes track for you well? Were their measured click values as advertised? How about the newer big exposed knob scopes? Any flaws with those? How do you find their SFP vs. FFP reticles? Didn't their old illumination suck? How are you liking their new illumination? Can you really see better through a 10X IOR than you can through a 14X Leupold?

How about those Super Snipers? The newer variables? Have you found a single thing the Leupold 3.5-10 can do that the 3-9 SS can't do better? While I prefer more power for hunting, you can sure bang steel with that 1-4X24HD at 500 yds no problem can't you!

What about the regular Vortex Vipers? How have those been tracking for you? Is the glass really better than Leupold at a lower price? Despite their low price they�re tough as hell, no? What has been your experience?

I could go on, and it is fun, but I feel bad as those are all trick questions. We know damn well you likely haven't used or even looked through any of those scopes, much less owned any. But you sure know those L 6X42's like the back of your hand. But when that's all you know, you don't really know much do you? You don't know what you don't know.

Much like E, when he says his L is bright and sharp as any other scope when he's never even looked through the other. You don't know what you're missing.

Maybe when you actually own and use a few different high quality long range scopes for a few years, you can come back to us and speak from experience for once. You can tell us exactly why your L 6X42 is better for long range than all the others.

But right now you just don't know. You have no clue what you're missing.

As to your incoherent rant above where you call me names and insult me for things you've imagined about me, none needs any response except for one request I'll make:

When you're referring to me preferring higher powers for long range in the derogatory tones, replace me with [Every Long Range Shooter In The Entire World Except For BIG STICK] as that is much more nearly accurate.

See, you're really out on your own on this. All by yourself. The couple here who joined in to argue on your behalf because they couldn't pass up a good leghump don't limit themselves to 6X for long range. And of your group of brainwashed disciples, it appears there's nobody qualified to comment.

It's just you. You vs. the entire rest of the LR shooting community.

That's what makes your personal attacks on me so funny. You can call me names, make things up about me, insult me all you like....

And that doesn't do anything to change the fact 99.99% of the rest of the LR shooting community agrees with me. You need to track all the rest of them down and call them names too! You need attack every single other person who shoots long range because they all know you're wrong too.

I wonder what percentage of LR rifles built by guys like Shawn Carlock, etc, are fitted with a Leupold 6X42 for long range use? A better question is if a single one ever has been. Even if one or two have, the ones fitted with higher powered "Nightfarces" and the like outnumber them 100 to 1.

Because they're better tools for the job. And that's clearly evident to everybody else in the entire world of LR shooting, except for you.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

438 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 38 invisible), 2,063 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,761
Posts18,476,523
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.