Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
The local boys from a nearby town saw the article and knew the hunter in the article.

GB1

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Yikes. Leave the state for three years and find your high hunt plastered all over the internet. First laid eyes on Devore in 1998 on a quick day-hike from Weaver point. This was before I had much of a mountain hunting clue. We wanted to eyeball the country and see what things looked like above the wilderness boundary. Vowed to be back, and came back in 2004 from the Weaver Point side and 2006 from the Tenmile side and took bucks, but nothing of any size. Never made it over the top into Castle, but always wanted to. So much for that.

FWIW, any sort of discussion of column buckling as it relates to stay design is somewhat irrelevant - since the stay is sleeved and backed by a polyethylene sheet (at least in my Dana packs), it's not subject to true column loading forces, and in truth sees more bending loads. If that's the case, the 0.19" stay is (0.19^3 / 0.128^3) = 3.3 times as stiff in bending as the 0.128" stay, assuming equal width. Beam stiffness is proportional to the width, and proportional to the cube of the depth of the section, FYI. Columns are a whole nuther matter, and much of column theory flies out the window when a column is sleeved and otherwise braced and loaded in bending. I'd wager those stays are actually bar stock of 3/16 and 1/8" thickness, but that's just a guess.

Calvin, the high buck hunt in WA is indeed neat, and there are more than five bucks to shoot. However, they can be pretty widely dispersed in their summer range. If you can find a pocket that attracts deer, you can do some good year after year. If you say anything about it to anyone, it will get compromised...

Last edited by Vek; 08/23/10. Reason: remain neutral...
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I just got off the phone with Propper International, the people who make the ILBE pack.

There is indeed a difference in packs between the Arcteryx Bora and the ILBE. The Stays are in fact stiffer on the ILBE.

It is rated to carry 120 lbs because it can!

I was also told by a higher up at Arcteryx the same information.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It would be nice to see some maturity from people who like to declare themselves as big bad mountain hunters..

Do you two think we actually care about any of this????

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
It would be nice to see some maturity from people who like to declare themselves as big bad mountain hunters..

Do you two think we actually care about any of this????

Where have I declared myself anything?
I'm the OP here and it was about a pack I'm using.
It degenerated because an idiot with a big ego thinks he knows about ILBE's of which he doesn't own and knows nothing about.

If you don't like the post or care then don't read it.

Last edited by SU35; 08/23/10.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ok, back to the pack. How much does the ILBE main pack weigh? Can you get differant size waist belts? Will the Bora waist belts fit? It says they make a Large waist belt for the ILBE and the Bora, but i can't find one anywhere.???

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good questions,

I asked Propper those questions and got the run around.
Ony answer I got was we have govt. contracts and only sell to the military.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This pack is interesting. In my experience most issued gear is absolutely terrible compared to equivalent civilian gear (which always makes me shake my head when people talk about buying military boots) but maybe this is an exception. At the price point it's probably worth picking one up to check out and use as a loner if it doesn't live up to all the hype.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Big_W
Ok, back to the pack. How much does the ILBE main pack weigh? Can you get differant size waist belts? Will the Bora waist belts fit? It says they make a Large waist belt for the ILBE and the Bora, but i can't find one anywhere.???

Yes, 15 pages and no one has yet posted a weight of the pack, and if you would please, the weight of the pack without the lid, or any extraneous pouches etc.

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I just emptied my pack, took off the lid and extra radio pocket.

7 lbs 8oz.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
Ditto mine.

Recall military packs (same with Kifaru, et al) are made with considerably stronger material than recreational use packs.

The ILBE rides like it is lighter.....

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
The ILBE rides like it is lighter.....

Yeah, it does.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The Care and Use Manual on-line states that the issue waist belt can be replaced with a large or a women's belt. So, they are available--not sure where. I'm 37/38" and the standard belt fits OK. Lots of adjustment left.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by SU35

7 lbs 8oz.

Thanks, too heavy for me. I'm saving up for a McHale.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

7 lbs 8oz.

TAK - Which Mchale model are you thinking of getting? And options?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by norcalblacktail
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

7 lbs 8oz.

TAK - Which Mchale model are you thinking of getting? And options?

Probably this one:

http://www.mchalepacks.com/ultralight/detail/UnLTD%20%2B2.htm

Configured like one in the lower left pic (4.5#/$709) Probably go without the lid and just use it as a roll top pack, just like the ULA I hike with (ULA Catalyst). I like my Catalyst and I want a pack just like it that'll carry 100#, that doesn't weigh eight or nine pounds. A McHale looks like the only game in town. Sleeping bag zippers are stupid, I don't need or want ANY zippers on my pack, 'cause I don't use 'em and I don't want to carry 'em. McHale's "bayonet" frame stays enable your main pack to easily convert to your hunting pack.

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
For $709.00 it better be lighter.

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
plus one.

I just can't figure out why this debate rages on about a pack that originally cost over $700, marked down to under $200 delivered with minor use, built tank tough.

I have a lot (ten+?) hunting and hiking packs, MR, Kifaru, all the names, but this is ABSOLUTELY the most vlaue for the buck.

I question the competence of those who don't own one, and argue against it.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by David_Walter
plus one.

I just can't figure out why this debate rages on about a pack that originally cost over $700, marked down to under $200 delivered with minor use, built tank tough.

I have a lot (ten+?) hunting and hiking packs, MR, Kifaru, all the names, but this is ABSOLUTELY the most vlaue for the buck.

I question the competence of those who don't own one, and argue against it.

Thats it. There very well my be better packs out there but this is one of the best values. It is very well made and not a bad design either.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
When I have weight on my back and a long hike ahead, "value" is the last thing going through my mind.

Packs are very subjective and you learn very quickly what is good for you.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (3040Krag, 300_savage, 2500HD, 270wsmnutt, 1badf350, 2ndwind, 48 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,028
Posts18,520,872
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.