Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Armen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Taken on the Strip this month.

This thing is a monster. Gross scores at 240:

New world record Arizona archery mule deer?

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
shocked

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All I can say is wow!!!

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I'm not a mulie fan-prefer the looks of whitetail racks, but that one might make me move off my hard and fast position a bit. That is a wonderful trophy!! Way to go!

An Old Pilot, but Not A Bold Pilot
"Pig-murderin' Fool"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are actually 3 bucks that have been killed so far that have enough bone to get it done. The strip buck is a giant but not sure how those extras and symmetry will hurt his final net score. Let me say right now, nets are for fish! There was a Utah buck killed this past week that should net over 210" and another AZ buck that's going to be in the hunt as well. Unreal year so far!

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
wow

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That 2 wows, aw heck with it wow!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Big deal. Guarranteed that deer was shot on some 20,000 acre deer "farm" where the deer are raised, monitored, and followed from cradle to grave. These animals are cattle, not game. I was watching "Innerloc" deer hunting on the Outdoor Channel yesterday. These guys had a 2.5 year old 8 point walk up to their blind and was sniffing the window. The guy could reach out and touch the deer. This is hunting?

Never be upset by getting old, many never get the privilege.

Knock knock. Who's there? 9/11. 9/11 who? You said you'd never forget.
Armen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AndyG
Big deal. Guarranteed that deer was shot on some 20,000 acre deer "farm" where the deer are raised, monitored, and followed from cradle to grave. These animals are cattle, not game. I was watching "Innerloc" deer hunting on the Outdoor Channel yesterday. These guys had a 2.5 year old 8 point walk up to their blind and was sniffing the window. The guy could reach out and touch the deer. This is hunting?

There are no "deer farms" on the Arizona Strip. It's about as remote a country as you'll find in the state.

Plan on taking at least two spare tires and a jerry can of fuel if you're going in deep into that unit.

Is this hunting? Yes, hunting mature mulies with a bow in AZ unit 13B is about as real as you can get.

Here's an excerpt from AZ Game and Fish department website:

"Regardless if you will be hunting with a bow or a rifle in the unit, keep in mind there are few access issues in this unit; over 90% of the lands are federally or state owned. The area is one of the most unpopulated in Arizona, and hunters should be prepared to camp in remote areas with no services available. Bring shelter and plenty of food, water, extra fuel, and extra spare tires. The closest full service communities to the unit are Mesquite, Nevada and St. George, Utah, both on Interstate 15.

Weather in the unit during the general deer hunt is unpredictable; it can be anything from relatively warm and dry to snowing. All hunters, archery or general, should be prepared for inclement weather. Many of the roads in the unit become extremely muddy if wet, and can only be negotiated with 4WD vehicles.

Scouting the unit prior to hunting is highly recommended. The vastness of this unit often makes this a daunting task and hunters can feel overwhelmed. Try a systematic approach starting in the southern portions of the unit, and working your way north. General hunters remember, the deer you find in September may not be where you find them in November, especially if it snows. In addition, one glassing spot will not give you a bird�s eye view of the unit. You need to stay mobile during the hunt; willing to move around to new areas if the area you are in isn�t producing.

Be aware of burn out in this unit. It is not uncommon to go many days without seeing deer, and it is easy to get discouraged. Finally, don�t try and hunt the entire unit. Pick 5 or so core areas you like and stick with them. The 30� Strip mule deer may not show himself for many days."

Last edited by Armen; 08/30/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big deal. Guarranteed that deer was shot on some 20,000 acre deer "farm" where the deer are raised, monitored, and followed from cradle to grave.

If this were true, you would find about 99% of the members on this forum in agreement with you on the "Big deal" part. However, on what do you base your "guarantee"? You obviously know something we don't. Please share.

Thanks.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
In response in Armen & Big Sky. I did some research and the buck was shot while being guided by Vaquero Outfitters, who run 600,000 acres of Arizona private land. Like I said, monster bucks are farmed. Modern hunting doesn't allow public land bucks to mature because there are just too many humans on too much land and the bucks never get to their potential size. Another world record that was bought. Whooppee!!

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20537

http://www.vaquero-outfitters.com/

Last edited by AndyG; 08/30/10.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Having 600,000 acres leased is a far cry from farming deer.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by SLM

You missed the point. I'm saying that when you have that much land, and no one there but you, you can montior and follow, contol their food and water, and basically "grow" monster bucks. After enough generations, you can let some walk, kill the lesser bucks. And when all things line up and you end up with a monster world record walking around, that no one can see but you because you farmed this 600,000 acre expanse, you find some rich guy to fork over money and "hunt" the animal. You therefore bought a farmed world record. What I didn't mean is that the ranch farms them like cattle and releases them from pens.

Armen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
AndyG,

I looked at both links you posted and I don't see where they stated or inferred that this buck was hunted on private land, 600,000 acres or otherwise.

The outfitter's link does say that they have access to (as opposed to owning) 600,000 acres of private land, but that doesn't imply that this buck was taken that way. Their website also states they hunt all over the state of Arizona and other regions - they're not limited to private ranches.

Secondly, even if the buck was taken on private land, it doesn't mean the owners of that land manage their deer any differently then how the AZGFD would mangage them.

I've hunted private land by asking access permission from the landowner. Would that lessen the quality of the deer I bagged, or the honest effort I put forth to do the same?

What would you say about Montana hunters who hunt antelope on private land in their own state every year? Are they any less of a hunter than the guy who hunts NF land?

I agree that hunting high-fence ranch "raised" deer might be questionable to some. But, I see nothing anywhere that indicates this buck was taken that way.

Last edited by Armen; 08/30/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
600,000 acres and you think this was not fair chase? Wow........ no high fence and this was not fair chase?

That is bigger then many of the Islands in SE Alaska so are all those big brown bear trophies that are fenced by the sea not fair chase?

This whole fair chase thing has reached a new and previously unattainable level! Now open unfenced land that is private is not fair chase? How many farms in the midwest are closed to all hunting, except for the family that owns them, are they not fair chase cause they are not "public" ?

So fair chase is now only public land? Oregon has a huge reserve for elk research. It's all high fenced. It's public land, but the tags are by drawing. Is this fair chase cause it's public land? But it's high fenced!

It's one thing to claim this on a Dr. Jimmy Steigers " Monster whitetail" property. where the deer are genetically engineered to score 300plus and released for a guy to shoot. However 600,00 unfenced acres for wild free ranging mule deer cannot be compared!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM

Can you imagine how much the high fence, riding around monitoring the buck and changing his diet cost? Uffti, much more money that I've got I can tell you that.

sick

BTW, that is almost 950 square miles. Laid out like a pool table it's prolly closer to 3000.

Last edited by Karnis; 08/31/10.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I get the feeling that this is not about fair chase with Andy, but it is about his animosity toward people who can afford such things.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Karnis

BTW, that is almost 950 square miles. Laid out like a pool table it's prolly closer to 3000.

Like shooting fish in a barrel. grin

How anyone could find a way to beotch about a fellow hunter taking a great buck sans fence truly escapes me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

In response in Armen & Big Sky. I did some research and the buck was shot while being guided by Vaquero Outfitters, who run 600,000 acres of Arizona private land. Like I said, monster bucks are farmed. Modern hunting doesn't allow public land bucks to mature because there are just too many humans on too much land and the bucks never get to their potential size. Another world record that was bought. Whooppee!!

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20537

http://www.vaquero-outfitters.com/

Originally Posted by SLM

You missed the point. I'm saying that when you have that much land, and no one there but you, you can montior and follow, contol their food and water, and basically "grow" monster bucks. After enough generations, you can let some walk, kill the lesser bucks. And when all things line up and you end up with a monster world record walking around, that no one can see but you because you farmed this 600,000 acre expanse, you find some rich guy to fork over money and "hunt" the animal. You therefore bought a farmed world record. What I didn't mean is that the ranch farms them like cattle and releases them from pens.

This quote has been around a long time but it needs to be brought to your attention

"It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

The Arizona Strip is desolate, rough and damn tough to hunt. The deer densities are low and the country is vast.

If you think that this was a canned hunt then your an absolute idiot. You've already made it abundantly clear that you have no clue.

Here is some info on the Strip. The Strip has a total surface area of 7,878.11 sq mi(5,041,990 acres). Its land area is larger than that of the state of Massachusetts, and comprises 6.9 percent of Arizona's land area. Granted, the unit that he drew is a mere fraction of that but you get the idea

Dude slips in and smacks a potential world record on the Strip(public ground) with a stick and string and you call it "bought" and "farmed". I assure you the only person to "feed and water" these deer was Mother Nature. I've seen people say some really stupid crap on internet forums but your posts have taken it to a whole new level.

See the above quote in bold as it really does apply to you

Drummond

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jealous moron...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

316 members (300s, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 338rcm, 300_savage, 51 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,620
Posts18,474,002
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.