Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
See link below:

Proposing ban on Plastic-tipped bullets and synthetic firearms parts: BPA leaching Risk

September 03, 2010, 5:08 PM EDT- 1 hour ago;
CALIFORNIA - A new study is examining hunting and military firearms stocks/parts (the part of a firearm that comes in contact with the hands and face) and plastic-tipped bullets to determine if there is leaching of potentially harmful bisphenol A, an endocrine-disrupting chemical.

Although environmental scientists maintain that the forms of plastics that can leak out bisphenol A may not be found in certain firearms, plastic-tipped bullets and other parts, they bring in to question whether arms and ammunition manufacturers have looked into the matter and how much Government intervention there should be to protect public and private firearms users and the environment.

The toxicity for our military and hunting fraternity, as well as, wildlife is still very much in debate since the amounts found in some plastics were well below the Environmental Protection Agency�s standards; however, a few scientists maintain that this type of chemical could cause behavioral and neurological problems if exposure is frequent, long-lasting or if it can leach into the skin during recoil (high friction to skin when a bullet is fired).

Furthermore, the plastic-tipped bullets could pose environmental concerns to wildlife like the California Condor. For instance, a similar study on lead hunting bullets resulted in a banning of the use of lead bullets in California by the State's Senate when it was found that the lead could harm the California Condor and other wildlife. Assembly Bill 821 bans the use of lead bullets for hunting within California. The bill was sponsored by Assemblyman Pete Nava and has letters of support from a number of conservation and environmental groups.

Any established link to potential harm for humans or wildlife, some environmentalists argue, is unacceptable and would imply support of the use of BPA-containing plastics that are currently being recalled by some plastics manufacturers.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yet cornholing another dude is considered perfectly safe and healthy.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is total junk science masquerading as "health issue" which is just an excuse to impose a de facto ban on some ammunition and gun parts, its so obvious its sad just looking at the real motivation behind this. Time would be better spent and more productive testing plastic toys made in China.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CA should ban CA!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If I found out I had 6 months to live I'd kill a few condors with a [bleep].

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You gotta understand, folks, in California, the communistnazis have long been in control. They never, ever, disengage. Step by step by step by step, they intend to eventually ban the use of, the possession of, firearms and ammunition, by the worker peasant rabble.

It is the communistnazi way.

L..

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
does anybody have the original link to the quoted statements?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If I found out I had 6 months to live I'd kill a few condors with a [bleep].

LMFAO... grin
This state is so [bleep] up words cannot describe...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WOW,...! I gotta give an applause to the Anti's this time for being creative.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The trouble with CA is that the good people there are outnumbered and surrounded by IDIOTS!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder what the carbon footprint is, of say................. a fired 30-06 round?

Can't be good.

Just sayin'

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Squidge
This is total junk science masquerading as "health issue" which is just an excuse to impose a de facto ban on some ammunition and gun parts, its so obvious its sad just looking at the real motivation behind this. Time would be better spent and more productive testing plastic toys made in China.

If they did find that any gun frames were leaching BPA they'd only have to switch to a different plastic. I'd actually be curious to know if modern synthetic handgun frames leach BPA, especially when heated. That chemical actually mimics human hormones in your body and can mess you up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

If they did find that any gun frames were leaching BPA they'd only have to switch to a different plastic. I'd actually be curious to know if modern synthetic handgun frames leach BPA, especially when heated. That chemical actually mimics human hormones in your body and can mess you up.

They've already done a study on just that subect.

The findings of exposure to BPA were very similar to the effects of floridated water on minorities.

Go figure. smile

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Guessing your laptop keyboard has been leaching BPA for YEARS.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by fish head

They've already done a study on just that subect.

The findings of exposure to BPA were very similar to the effects of floridated water on minorities.

Go figure. smile
That's not good. Anyone interesting in buying some plastic framed handguns?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Health consequences from exposure to BPA are based on daily exposure and the amount of exposure. I seriously doubt plastic gun parts or plastic tipped bullets are a significant risk factor unless one spends a lot of time playing with your guns and bullets everyday. As I said, time would be better spent and more productive testing plastic toys made in China or other types of plastic all of us are exposed to on a daily basis. This proposed study is nothing more than a thinly disguised excuse to go after guns and chip away at the 2nd amendment.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have no doubt that exposure to plastic-tipped bullets traveling at high velocity is a significant health risk.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is a fact Jack! smile smile smile

Old cat turd!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by JRaw
I have no doubt that exposure to plastic-tipped bullets traveling at high velocity is a significant health risk.

When they ban them they can come and get mine. And I will gladly give them the end of the gun that spits those nasty plastic tipped bullets out. May be I will start with my Marlin 3030 with the plastic bullets. I do not want to disapoint them. with one with out the plastic.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Health consequences from exposure to BPA are based on daily exposure and the amount of exposure. I seriously doubt plastic gun parts or plastic tipped bullets are a significant risk factor unless one spends a lot of time playing with your guns and bullets everyday. As I said, time would be better spent and more productive testing plastic toys made in China or other types of plastic all of us are exposed to on a daily basis. This proposed study is nothing more than a thinly disguised excuse to go after guns and chip away at the 2nd amendment.
Oh, I have no doubts about that at all.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

376 members (1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,053 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,724
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.